Sign in to follow this  
swamp dog

clayton on espn: favre contemplating retirement this SUMMER

didn't hear it but i saw on another board clayton reported this morning on espn there's "rumor" that favre is pissed that driver didn't get surgery in the offseason and that if driver is toast this year he (favre) has zero confidence in the offense (i'm paraphrasing, so anyone who did here the report live please chime in).

it's my understanding right after he (clayton) blurted it that he cautioned it was just a rumor and probably not much to it...but then why even say it (:rolls eyes:)

some secondary smoke to the story: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639347

driver is on pup right now with a shoulder that has been "ailing him for about 7 months."

i more or less posted this to see if others had more info, not to bash favre or the packers.

didn't hear it but i saw on another board clayton reported this morning on espn there's "rumor" that favre is pissed that driver didn't get surgery in the offseason and that if driver is toast this year he (favre) has zero confidence in the offense (i'm paraphrasing, so anyone who did here the report live please chime in).

it's my understanding right after he (clayton) blurted it that he cautioned it was just a rumor and probably not much to it...but then why even say it (:rolls eyes:)

some secondary smoke to the story: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639347

driver is on pup right now with a shoulder that has been "ailing him for about 7 months."

i more or less posted this to see if others had more info, not to bash favre or the packers.

don't look into this too much.... just BS....

Driver's shoulder wasn't ailing him at all during the off-season, he was in the weight room all year long without any pain he quoted..... it's just precaution $hit is all

don't look into this too much.... just BS....

Driver's shoulder wasn't ailing him at all during the off-season, he was in the weight room all year long without any pain he quoted..... it's just precaution $hit is all

if it's nothing, than why did he fail his physical??

granted, i don't know how in-depth those physicals are... but i'm assuming if you fail it for preseason, whatever it is that's causing you to fail it (especially when it's something that's been bothering you for 7 months) most likely isn't going to work itself out over the next four weeks...

again, i'm not saying i have any additional knowledge or info, i'm just curious as to what the actual problem is w/ his shoulder and how it can be ready if it's not now...

as for Favre, i'd retire too if my top two offensive weapons from last season (Driver & Green) were either no longer around or hurt, and the only skill player the Packers brought in during the offseason was an RB to compete for a starting job...

seriously, their FO has shown no desire to do anything to improve that offense for the near future at all... i wouldn't want to play in that environment either.

:popcorn:

if it's nothing, than why did he fail his physical??

he felt a little discomfort when he had his arm out straight and the doctor put weight on it is all..... the guy is a football player and tough as nails... he's fine...

Not sure where anyone read his shoulder has been "ailing him for 7 months" but thats just false $hit if I've ever heard it before.... waist of breath and effort

he felt a little discomfort when he had his arm out straight and the doctor put weight on it is all..... the guy is a football player and tough as nails... he's fine...

Not sure where anyone read his shoulder has been "ailing him for 7 months" but thats just false $hit if I've ever heard it before.... waist of breath and effort

it's in the link i provided in the first post:

"Wide receiver Donald Driver watched practice at Ray Nitschke Field with a nagging right shoulder injury that he has had for more than seven months. He did not pass his physical Friday because he is lacking arm strength and therefore has been placed on the physically unable to perform list."

mccarthy in the same article calls it a "reocurring shoulder injury"

hey, it's all news to me--all of it. just reporting the reports.

Here we go again?

Yup...you are right...here we go with the media making another story out of a supposed rumor involving Favre.

about 75% of the stuff "rumors" say Favre said or feels is bull. I never hear it straight from Favre.

If Favre were to say "I wish Driver would have had surgury in the off-season, him missing time would be a big blow to our Off."

It would be reported as Favre "rumored" to want to retire and upset that he has no weapons.

Sure Favre has said a few times that he is frusturated with the lack of effort in making moves, and he has talked retirement. But most times it is all rumor no truth.

Where there's smoke there is fire. Favre lost me about two years ago. I can't even get excited thinking about him breaking some records this season. If it's so damn terrible Brett, then hang'em up. We're pretty sick of listening to you.

Where there's smoke there is fire. Favre lost me about two years ago. I can't even get excited thinking about him breaking some records this season. If it's so damn terrible Brett, then hang'em up. We're pretty sick of listening to you.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639475

Listening to what?....what exactly did he say lately?

He missed practice because of a death, so it means he said he wants to retire?

Until I see actually quotes or an interview, of him saying anything of the sort who the hell cares?

Seriously people say he is rumored, he said this, more than Favre even says anything.

Where there's smoke there is fire.

Concerning the media and how it covers football, you could more accurately say "Where there's smoke, there are mirrors."

Fire may or may not follow, but even if it comes it most often has nothing to do with the smoke the media has been showing you.

Im sure there are plenty that feel the way you do.

I however...see this crap for what it is. Anything close to a rumor gets spread like wildfire.

Much of the crap comes from things he never says.

And you are sick of listening to him? Or sick of listening to Clayton or Mort or someone else making up rumors about him?

The fact that Favre has the balls to question Ted Thompson at this point is extremely irritating to me. Favre is not even close to an elite QB, yet he wants Thompson to mortgage the future. Well, I'm damn glad Thompson ain't taking Favre's advice.

Favre has called out Thompson several times, and frankly, it's over the line. Anyone else tried to pull this, and they'd be getting a media induced ###### slap. But not our Brett.

And whether he admits it or not, I'm pretty sure Mr. Favre did indeed demand to be traded. He can spin it all he likes.

I'm just sick of listening to his whining.

The fact that Favre has the balls to question Ted Thompson at this point is extremely irritating to me. Favre is not even close to an elite QB, yet he wants Thompson to mortgage the future. Well, I'm damn glad Thompson ain't taking Favre's advice.

Favre has called out Thompson several times, and frankly, it's over the line. Anyone else tried to pull this, and they'd be getting a media induced ###### slap. But not our Brett.

And whether he admits it or not, I'm pretty sure Mr. Favre did indeed demand to be traded. He can spin it all he likes.

I'm just sick of listening to his whining.

Where has he actually done much of that?

Actual quotes?

Not just people saying he is disappointed.

And where has he stated he wanted him to mortgage the future?

I agree that a few things he has gone over the line (Favre)...and I said as much that he needs to keep his mouth shut on a few things.

I don't think it has been as bad as you are mking it out to be here though.

And where is he whining here? Where...give me a quote...something.

You have a supposed rumor of it...nothing more.

What I am sick of is the media running with any little thing that Favre says and making it out to be 10x worse than what was actually said or done.

Just like the title of this very thread.....If Clayton did say such things he is wrong, I saw TT on NFL network saying Favre would miss a couple days to arrange stuff down in Miss. There was nothing at all asked or said to TT about Favre being mad, if their was it would have been all over espn and nfl network by now.

And since no one can find a link from Clayton, Swampdog is just fishing.

And the sad thing is look what Swamp named the title of this thread, while providing a link to Driver's shoulder, where it says nothing of Favre.

He could have named it after the actually info inside. The media multiplies thing and so does people on this very bored.

This thread is the suck, and is incorrect.

Swamp how do you name the title "clayton on espn: blahg blah blah....while quoting another source with nothing to do with Favre?

Swamp how do you name the title "clayton on espn: blahg blah blah....while quoting another source with nothing to do with Favre?

wow, we actually got farther along in this thread before the "kill the messenger" stuff started. i'm impressed. you're getting better all the time.

i did ask in my original post if anyone could corroborate the rumor. if i was a paid journalist working for a newspaper, no i wouldn't throw it out there. but as this is an fantasy football message board (lol), i feel okay throwing something out there to see if others heard it or not.

but, yeah, okay, favre's issues and driver's issues are all my fault. what power i possess! :dunno:

Where has he actually done much of that?

Actual quotes?

Not just people saying he is disappointed.

And where has he stated he wanted him to mortgage the future?

I agree that a few things he has gone over the line (Favre)...and I said as much that he needs to keep his mouth shut on a few things.

I don't think it has been as bad as you are mking it out to be here though.

And where is he whining here? Where...give me a quote...something.

You have a supposed rumor of it...nothing more.

What I am sick of is the media running with any little thing that Favre says and making it out to be 10x worse than what was actually said or done.

it might seem to the diehard brett fans that the media skewers poor brett...but the reality is he gets cut a ton of slack by them. any negative publicity is quickly followed by a litany of reasons for brett to feel that way--his age, his health, his family tragedies. not a lot of other players in the nfl get that sort of patronizing pass and built-in excuse making. we certainly don't hear about poor terrell owen's personal life and how he's had to cope and overcome tragedy and that's why we should have more sympathy.

reality.

it might seem to the diehard brett fans that the media skewers poor brett...but the reality is he gets cut a ton of slack by them. any negative publicity is quickly followed by a litany of reasons for brett to feel that way--his age, his health, his family tragedies. not a lot of other players in the nfl get that sort of patronizing pass and built-in excuse making. we certainly don't hear about poor terrell owen's personal life and how he's had to cope and overcome tragedy and that's why we should have more sympathy.

reality.

Im not saying the media skewers him.

Im saying the media saturates us with stories about him...even when there is no story.

wow, we actually got farther along in this thread before the "kill the messenger" stuff started. i'm impressed. you're getting better all the time.

i did ask in my original post if anyone could corroborate the rumor. if i was a paid journalist working for a newspaper, no i wouldn't throw it out there. but as this is an fantasy football message board (lol), i feel okay throwing something out there to see if others heard it or not.

but, yeah, okay, favre's issues and driver's issues are all my fault. what power i possess! :thumbsdown:

No but its sort of stupid to name the title, about Favre, and supply a link with nothing about Favre.

There is no link because Favre never said anything of the sort. And guys like you are getting just as bad as the media. And yourself along with others complain that he does this every year and "here we go again" when it is you who brings up the nonsense, that for some reason you blame Favre for having to hear it every year.

Sorta mentally unstable stuff we are getting into huh? :banana:

Im saying the media saturates us with stories about him...even when there is no story.

Exactly.

No one is claiming to feel sorry for him here. It's just funny how people like you who complain about Favre and his antics and having to hear this each year, actually sometimes make up the story and post it and bring it to life, when there is no story.

If you don't feel like hearing it every year, don't talk about it. Simple. Even more so, don't bring it up when there is no story. Looks to me like you like the drama every year and when he doesn't say anything you miss it, and need to create the story yourself.

No but its sort of stupid to name the title, about Favre, and supply a link with nothing about Favre.

There is no link because Favre never said anything of the sort. And guys like you are getting just as bad as the media. And yourself along with others complain that he does this every year and "here we go again" when it is you who brings up the nonsense, that for some reason you blame Favre for having to hear it every year.

Sorta mentally unstable stuff we are getting into huh? :thumbsdown:

it was a radio report, so you're correct there's no link. i asked if others could confirm it.

the message board i was at linked the story to this message board. i have no idea how reliable this packer message board is, nor have i heard of it before. which is why i wanted to post here to see if others had heard it, too:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=61#S=61&amp...07&T=768909

stop projecting your angst onto me. it's rather feeble and transparent.

cheers.

come now, why wouldn't that saturate us with stories? he plays for "city of champions" and is "the greatest qb of all-time." you packer fans have made him out to be a god for years...and now you're annoyed that the media saturates us with stories about him?

lol...good one.

blah blah blah...ive got nothing to really add...blah blah blah

:rolleyes:

Thanks.

it was a radio report, so you're correct there's no link. i asked if others could confirm it.

the message board i was at linked the story to this message board. i have no idea how reliable this packer message board is, nor have i heard of it before. which is why i wanted to post here to see if others had heard it, too:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=61#S=61&amp...07&T=768909

stop projecting your angst onto me. it's rather feeble and transparent.

cheers.

If he did say anything of the sort, a camera would have caught it, a reporter would have reported it, it would still be playing on ESPN for the next 4 days. And I'm sure if this guy would have caught it on TV, at least 1 person on this site would have too.

I'm sure it didn't happen. Good thread.

If he did say anything of the sort, a camera would have caught it, a reporter would have reported it, it would still be playing on ESPN for the next 4 days. And I'm sure if this guy would have caught it on TV, at least 1 person on this site would have too.

I'm sure it didn't happen. Good thread.

as it reportedly was said yesterday morning and the thread was started yesterday morning--where i did ask if others heard it or not--yes, it is telling that as of 24 hours later no one else here has come forward as having heard the report. but that's why i ASKED if anyone had heard it.

not sure why that's so hard for you to understand? other than that, blow off. don't read my posts. don't respond to them. use the ignore feature.

as it reportedly was said yesterday morning and the thread was started yesterday morning--where i did ask if others heard it or not--yes, it is telling that as of 24 hours later no one else here has come forward as having heard the report. but that's why i ASKED if anyone had heard it.

not sure why that's so hard for you to understand? other than that, blow off. don't read my posts. don't respond to them. use the ignore feature.

good thread.

well, i've added more to this thread than you. once again.

double cheers.

Yeah...ok. Keep thinking that.

Fact is, the media publishes about everything the guy does. And despite your comment, I don't recall a single Packer fan ever wanting more media coverage of Brett Favre.

Wow...its not even August yet and swamp is getting testy.

He might go tuck in the son early this year.

Looks like some family issues as well... playing heavy on the heart

Packers QB Favre and his wife, Deanna, stepfather, died at the age of 56, in Gulfport, Miss. According to a source close to the family, Byrd died of a heart attack Saturday. Favre was close to his wife Deanna's stepfather. The two were known to throw the football around when Byrd wasn't helping Favre with the acres of yard work on their property in Hattiesburg, Miss. When Favre asked his family a few years ago to vote on whether he should continue to play or retire, Byrd was among the inner circle that voted unanimously for Favre to play. In the wake of the news, Favre missed the morning practice Sunday, the 2nd day of Packers training camp. He returned to take part in the lengthy evening practice and is scheduled to leave early today to attend the wake. He is scheduled to return Wednesday night and take part in practice on Thursday. The death of Byrd seemed to weigh on Favre, who threw 4 interceptions during team drills in the evening.

I dont really care about Favre too much but the driver injury is a little more interesting to me, maybe might project his stats with him missing a few games

I dont really care about Favre too much but the driver injury is a little more interesting to me, maybe might project his stats with him missing a few games

Yeah...and granted its coach and GM talk at this point...but nobody seems to be concerned that he will miss any games up there.

Yeah...and granted its coach and GM talk at this point...but nobody seems to be concerned that he will miss any games up there.

Well, that's cuz he would go play right now, even with how his shoulder is - he's just like that. Reminds me a lot of a certain Monty Python sketch. Everyone's going "But your arm's off!" and all Driver is saying is "No it isn't - HAVE AT YOU!"

I've been a Packer fan my whole life, but I'm just sick of the way this is going.

We have Favre. Rather than just stepping up and telling the media one way or another, Favre plays games and goes back and forth on the whole retirement thing. He's done that two straight seasons.

In addition, either he or his mouthpiece (agent) have made demands about who should be on the Packer roster, and have openly questioned Thompson's moves. That's nice of Brett. You can spin it as "show me a quote", but we don't need to see one. It's very convienent for Brett to have his mouthpiece spout off on his behalf, without putting his own ass on the line. He's playing it well. Push your thoughts through the rumor mill, let the press go with it, then step and smooth it over after the fact. Shows you how much power the guy actually has. Hell, didn't someone from his own family spout off on his behalf this offseason?

Then we have Ted Thompson. He inherited a team devoid of any talent, and is building it back up his way. Well, that's not fast enough for Packer nation is it? They'd rather see them chase the ghost of Randy Moss or bring in some other washed up veteran. That's not how you build a team.

So here's where I'm at. I defended Favre hardcore during Javon Walker's holdout, as questionable as Brett's decisions were at that time. But now, I just can't do it anymore. He hides behind his agent, family, and the press, rather than manning up and going straight to Ted Thompson with his greivances. He knows he has the fans, and is using that to try to force the hand of Thompson. Total bush league crap, in my opinion.

So I say again. I'm done with the guy. This is one lifelong Packer fan and former Favre defender who just doesn't want to hear it anymore.

The Driver injury scares me a little.

The fact that it is the same injury that bothered him at the end of last year, and it didn't get better or he didn't allow it too concerns me to the question, If not by now, when will it get better?

Looks like a nagging injury that he will play through, but will hurt his play during the season. I do wish we had another vet WR, it would help this WRs corps greatly.

I've been a Packer fan my whole life, but I'm just sick of the way this is going.

We have Favre. Rather than just stepping up and telling the media one way or another, Favre plays games and goes back and forth on the whole retirement thing. He's done that two straight seasons.

In addition, either he or his mouthpiece (agent) have made demands about who should be on the Packer roster, and have openly questioned Thompson's moves. That's nice of Brett. You can spin it as "show me a quote", but we don't need to see one. It's very convienent for Brett to have his mouthpiece spout off on his behalf, without putting his own ass on the line. He's playing it well. Push your thoughts through the rumor mill, let the press go with it, then step and smooth it over after the fact. Shows you how much power the guy actually has. Hell, didn't someone from his own family spout off on his behalf this offseason?

Then we have Ted Thompson. He inherited a team devoid of any talent, and is building it back up his way. Well, that's not fast enough for Packer nation is it? They'd rather see them chase the ghost of Randy Moss or bring in some other washed up veteran. That's not how you build a team.

So here's where I'm at. I defended Favre hardcore during Javon Walker's holdout, as questionable as Brett's decisions were at that time. But now, I just can't do it anymore. He hides behind his agent, family, and the press, rather than manning up and going straight to Ted Thompson with his greivances. He knows he has the fans, and is using that to try to force the hand of Thompson. Total bush league crap, in my opinion.

So I say again. I'm done with the guy. This is one lifelong Packer fan and former Favre defender who just doesn't want to hear it anymore.

Again, hear what? That another member of his family has died? Besides wanting Moss, what has he said since then?

I hate the whole retire or not thing. It is really an annoying thing. But whats the differance between him and Clemons or MJ? None really, MJ came out of retirment twice. After his farewell. I'm not gonna get into this because its been debated over and over through the offseason, but if TT was man enough to do it HIS way then why not say Favre you can stay but we are going with Rodgers. Or McCarthy for that matter. they don't seem to "sick of it" but outside fans who are just fans get their panties in a bunch, because the media ride that horse for 2 straight months and everyone becomes sick of it.

Wow....swamp poop actually stirring the pot with his shiat again?

I would have never figured that to be the case.... maybe he will be right like when he said Grossman will never win a playoff game or that Grossman will never get to a Super bowl :overhead: :music_guitarred:

Wow....swamp poop actually stirring the pot with his shiat again?

I would have never figured that to be the case.... maybe he will be right like when he said Grossman will never win a playoff game or that Grossman will never get to a Super bowl :overhead: :music_guitarred:

Do we really have to go through another season of "swamp poopie" Sweatness? Seriously, please take some time to think of something actually funny, or just give it a rest.