Sign in to follow this  
aggiewildlife

Just drafted, not sure how I feel about it...

Just drafted in a 10 team yahoo league, standard scoring (start 3 WRs, 2 RBs). As typical in these free yahoo leagues, some people really draft weirdly, in my opinion. Sort of threw me off. In general, WR's, QB's, DEF's, TEs, and K's all went too early. Manning went 2nd overall, Steve Smith, Roy W, and T Brady went in the 2nd round, Harrison, Chad Johnson, CALVIN Johnson, Holt, Palmer, Brees and Bulger in the 3rd, defenses started to go in the 4th, Vinatieri in the 5th, the run on TE's in the 6th, and so on.

So that left me drooling over RB opportunities throughout and I wonder if I overdid it on drafting RB's. I couldn't help myself. So I'm fairly stocked on RB's but missed out on some other players I was targetting to try to get at value in terms of QBs, TE's, etc. Anyway, here's my team:

Round 1 (6th pick overall): Frank Gore

Round 2: Willis McGahee

Round 3: T.O.

Round 4: Edge James

Round 5: Brandon Jacobs

Round 6: Braylon Edwards (was surprised at this point [pick 55], that 22 WR's had already been selected)

Round 7: Tony Romo

Round 8: Jason Witten

Round 9: Chris Chambers

Round 10: Jerious Norwood

Round 11: Greg Jennings

Round 12: Carolina DEF

Round 13: J.P. Losman

Round 14: Kevin Jones

Round 15: Josh Scobee

So whaddaya think? It's not bad, but keep in mind it's a 10-team league, so you'll naturally have a slightly better looking team than in the typical 12-team.

Just curious. On waivers, undrafted, include Warrick Dunn, LenDale White, Chester Taylor, Betts, Brandon Jackson, amongst others.

Just drafted in a 10 team yahoo league, standard scoring (start 3 WRs, 2 RBs). As typical in these free yahoo leagues, some people really draft weirdly, in my opinion. Sort of threw me off. In general, WR's, QB's, DEF's, TEs, and K's all went too early. Manning went 2nd overall, Steve Smith, Roy W, and T Brady went in the 2nd round, Harrison, Chad Johnson, CALVIN Johnson, Holt, Palmer, Brees and Bulger in the 3rd, defenses started to go in the 4th, Vinatieri in the 5th, the run on TE's in the 6th, and so on.

So that left me drooling over RB opportunities throughout and I wonder if I overdid it on drafting RB's. I couldn't help myself. So I'm fairly stocked on RB's but missed out on some other players I was targetting to try to get at value in terms of QBs, TE's, etc. Anyway, here's my team:

Round 6: Braylon Edwards (was surprised at this point [pick 55], that 22 WR's had already been selected)

So whaddaya think? It's not bad, but keep in mind it's a 10-team league, so you'll naturally have a slightly better looking team than in the typical 12-team.

Just curious. On waivers, undrafted, include Warrick Dunn, LenDale White, Chester Taylor, Betts, Brandon Jackson, amongst others.

It looks okay to me but if Dallas has a bad passing game, so will you.

Probably true. I'm certainly no Dallas homer and had no plans of drafting both Romo and T.O. (or even Witten for that matter). I was satisfied with, and aiming for, Romo. Had no intentions of drafting T.O., but when my 3rd round pick came up, 6 WR's had already been selected and T.O. was still sitting there (even Calvin Johnson had been selected), so I had to grab him. With TE's, I was really hoping to land Vernon Davis, but 8 TE's, including Davis, were selected by the end of the 7th and I had to grab the best available.

Anyway, hopefully they won't have any bad passing games! Thanks for the input...

Good idea. Is Jackson supposed to start at this point, or is he most likely going to lose out when a healthy Morency returns? Betts was huge with Portis out last year, but holds little value if Portis is healthy. But it might be worth the gamble. I thought I read the other day that K Jones was running close to full speed? Anybody know, or is he going to start the season on the PUP list and miss 6 games?

I like your running backs. Gore and McGahee are both solid starters. Edge, Norwood, and Jacobs provides good depth. I agree with the other poster, get rid of Kevin Jones. The Lions are not going to rush him back as long as Bell and Duckett make it through Pre-Season healthy.

Your receivers are fine. Owens is a stud but his quarterback is still unproven. Edwards and Jennings could both put up #1 type of stats this year. Chambers is a solid talent trying to learn a new system. He will be a good backup but don't think of starting him until you see how the Dolphins offense looks.

Your quarterbacks are iffy at best. Neither Romo or Losman have proven consistancy in the league. Both have big time receivers to throw to and could put up decent numbers or both could have problems hitting the receivers and get benched.

I would find an upgrade at kicker if possible. I would also drop Kevin Jones and pick up LenDale White.

Good luck.

Thanks for the analysis. I don't see much point in switching kickers, who are nearly impossible to predict. I was the last player to select a Kicker, and some projections have Scobee low, but the yahoo consensus rankings, for example, have him as the 4th overall kicker. It's too hard to predict success for a kicker so I never pick one before the final couple of rounds.

LenDale White seems like a RBBC situation. I put in for Betts and if somebody else grabs him first, I'm in line for Jackson. Does everybody agree with those?

What I'm thinking is that after a week or two into the season, if everybody's playing well, I can try to trade Jacobs, Norwood, and Betts/Jackson for an upgrade at WR, QB, and TE. I'll still have my core of RB's in Gore, McGahee and Edge. Trade Jacobs ideally for a Boldin/Evans/Colston type WR, trade Norwood for a QB fairly equivalent to Romo (Cutler, Rivers, Leinart) and then play the matchups, and then try to dumb Betts maybe to the guy with Portis for Crumpler or something like that.

Thanks for your input with my question. I really like your draft. I will concur with the others and say drop K Jones for an available RB on FA. I'd personally gamble on Jackson. You look thin at WR and have great depth at RB. I'd try to trade wither Willis or Edge and get another tip tier WR.