Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

Are there any bigger crooks than........

Moving from WI to FL next month. 2 quotes. One said I had about 1,000 #'s of stuff, the other 3,000 #'s! WTF?

Get a third quote.

What kind of prices are they quoting for that weight?

just curious.

Get a third quote.

What kind of prices are they quoting for that weight?

just curious.

2K for 3k#'s. $1,200 for 1k#. After Labor Day. Before Labor Day, triple it. U Haul is about twice as much and I would have to load, unload and that's w/o gas.

make sure you go with a legit company.

there are some scary scams out there. remember, you will get what you pay for, so if its too good of a deal, there just might be a reason.

Have you tried this?

http://www.uship.com/

It's a reverse auction site where companies will bid on the service to move you from point A to point B. The bids are posted so another moving company will continue to underbid each other until one is left.

credit card companies...car dealership service garages...was the question serious? i could go on for awhile.

Moving from WI to FL next month. 2 quotes. One said I had about 1,000 #'s of stuff, the other 3,000 #'s! WTF?

Are their prices tied to those estimates? If so, go with the shmoes who underestimated. :dunno:

Guest _my_2_cents_

I just moved and had a local company move me. 900 sq ft apt to a 2 bdrm house, not a ton of stuff...quoted me 2.5 hours at $100/hour, but when it was all said & done it was 3 hours, they charge double for drive time then refused to go the short route (added 20 mins, 40 mins billing time) and then upped the total bill by 20% for workman's comp and something else. Uhm, which the company is required to pay its employees regardless since it's the law here.

Expected a $250 move, paid $400. Total rip off. :dunno:

(and my friends were all out building a fence, so at least I didn't have to help with that...)

I just moved and had a local company move me. 900 sq ft apt to a 2 bdrm house, not a ton of stuff...quoted me 2.5 hours at $100/hour, but when it was all said & done it was 3 hours, they charge double for drive time then refused to go the short route (added 20 mins, 40 mins billing time) and then upped the total bill by 20% for workman's comp and something else. Uhm, which the company is required to pay its employees regardless since it's the law here.

Expected a $250 move, paid $400. Total rip off. :headbanger:

(and my friends were all out building a fence, so at least I didn't have to help with that...)

I paid for a move by the hour once. ONCE!#!#@#$ :mad: They sat there gently wrapping every focking piece of wood like it was the focking Mona Lisa. :unsure:

Try this site for great information, also check out their message boards.

Movers

To be fair, if these guys were any good at math, they wouldn't be hauling other people's ###### for a living.

Why not move it yourself?

Have you checked to compare the cost of just renting a U-haul and driving it there yourself? :pointstosky:

Before we moved from Maryland, I made about a dozen trips to the dump throwing stuff away. I made about the same number of trips to Goodwill, gave lots of things to neighbors and had a (blow-out) yard sale.

I got two quotes from moving companies. The two estimaters who did not know what the other was quoting, came within 50 pounds of each other's estimates. They missed the actual weight by three tons. My $10,000 moved turned into a $21,000 move. If we had not so well on the sale of the house we would have been up the creek.

You can't tell me that the a-holes didn't know exactly what they were doing when they short-weighed us. If I had to do it again, I would have looked for a garanteed rate and not trusted their "estimates".

2K for 3k#'s. $1,200 for 1k#. After Labor Day. Before Labor Day, triple it. U Haul is about twice as much and I would have to load, unload and that's w/o gas.

actually that is INSANELY cheap for a moving company to move you that far... is it Mayflower?? i know some of those companies load your stuff w/ stuff from other people just to fill up the truck, and they say it can take like 7-14 days for your stuff to arrive...

I had just moved from PA to NC about 2 years ago, and a moving company was going to cost alot more (but i have a whole 3BR house full of stuff). We actually filled the biggest truck UHaul had, and it wound up costing around 800 total i believe... (w/o gas).

We also looked into PODS, which we thought would be nice since we'd do the loading, they'd do the moving, and we could just drive our cars down together... come to find out that was the MOST expensive way... cause PODS are franchises, you wind up paying for the pod to be moved from one franchise to another... i think that was going to be like $2200...

Before we moved from Maryland, I made about a dozen trips to the dump throwing stuff away. I made about the same number of trips to Goodwill, gave lots of things to neighbors and had a (blow-out) yard sale.

I got two quotes from moving companies. The two estimaters who did not know what the other was quoting, came within 50 pounds of each other's estimates. They missed the actual weight by three tons. My $10,000 moved turned into a $21,000 move. If we had not so well on the sale of the house we would have been up the creek.

You can't tell me that the a-holes didn't know exactly what they were doing when they short-weighed us. If I had to do it again, I would have looked for a garanteed rate and not trusted their "estimates".

THAT would piss me off... how could they both be 3 tons light and w/in 50 lbs of each other??

THAT would piss me off... how could they both be 3 tons light and w/in 50 lbs of each other??

One missed it by 6,000 pounds and the other missed it by 5,950 pounds. They knew what they were doing. If they had told me it was going to cost $21K, I would have dumped more stuff and they would have made less money for themselves. The company we used actually asked for a referral. I told them I warned the whole neighborhood about them.