Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Morency or Jackson?

I don't think anyone can truely answer that right now. Morency has been hurt and Jackson doesn't seem to have to offense down yet.

I think it's Jackson's job to win the next two pre sesaon games. They already know what Morency can do. If Jackson can show enough in the next two games he may earn the job. Morency being hurt is a blessing if Jackson can win the job. If Jackson shows he can't handle it, then obviously the Pack will be hurting due to the time out with Morency.

Say it with me...RBBC

Agreed.

I don't think either RB is currently able to assert himself as the main guy. I suspect Morency will gain more of the workload early on, but will eventualyl give way to Jackson. Lack of a truly effective passing game will devalue Jackson for many people in 2007, which will carry over in to 2008. He is likey in a less that fortunate situation in being on a team that does not have enough defense to prevent from needing to throw more than run, and that cannot provide run blocking well enough to allow him to do well.

JMHO

Agreed.

I don't think either RB is currently able to assert himself as the main guy. I suspect Morency will gain more of the workload early on, but will eventualyl give way to Jackson. Lack of a truly effective passing game will devalue Jackson for many people in 2007, which will carry over in to 2008. He is likey in a less that fortunate situation in being on a team that does not have enough defense to prevent from needing to throw more than run, and that cannot provide run blocking well enough to allow him to do well.

JMHO

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

They have more than enough defense to prevent the need for throwing. They have as deep a D line as I've seen in Green Bay in a long time. They have good young linebackers. Not to mention, they have pretty good corners. Safety is the only questionable position. Heck, they're returning just about everyone. And Cullen Jenkins is going to surprised a lot of people this season.

As for run blocking. How many teams in the NFL are returning all five starters to the same system this season? My guess is that's a low number. This is a young, talented group. They will be much better than last season.

As for the starting back. It's Morency. If this was really an open competition do you think Morency would be sitting out training camp because his knee is sore? Green Bay has said all along that they know what they have in Morency. It's the young guys who need to prove themselves. And, this doesn't help Jackson's case. He been lambasted in blitz pickup drills pretty much all training camp. He will not start if he cannot pass protect. Pretty simple to me.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

They have more than enough defense to prevent the need for throwing. They have as deep a D line as I've seen in Green Bay in a long time. They have good young linebackers. Not to mention, they have pretty good corners. Safety is the only questionable position. Heck, they're returning just about everyone. And Cullen Jenkins is going to surprised a lot of people this season.

As for run blocking. How many teams in the NFL are returning all five starters to the same system this season? My guess is that's a low number. This is a young, talented group. They will be much better than last season.

As for the starting back. It's Morency. If this was really an open competition do you think Morency would be sitting out training camp because his knee is sore? Green Bay has said all along that they know what they have in Morency. It's the young guys who need to prove themselves. And, this doesn't help Jackson's case. He been lambasted in blitz pickup drills pretty much all training camp. He will not start if he cannot pass protect. Pretty simple to me.

how do you know he just has a sore knee? i read patella tendonitis that might have him sidelined to begin the season?

how do you know he just has a sore knee? i read patella tendonitis that might have him sidelined to begin the season?

He's a Packer homer. They've been in denile for years.

I do agree that Morency will be the starter though. Jackson couldn't pick up a blitz to save his life.

I do agree that Morency will be the starter though.

do you agree that there's no concern with his knee?

I do agree that Morency will be the starter though.

Yeah, well, yeah.

I think Morency is getting overlooked by a lot of people.

Looks to be a strained tendon, not tendinitis. http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ind...381&ntpid=3

In any case, don't overlook Morency. That's all I'm saying.

Not anymore than FWP, Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook, or the other RB's going 8 or 9 rounds earlier.

Yeah, well, yeah.

I think Morency is getting overlooked by a lot of people.

Looks to be a strained tendon, not tendinitis. http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ind...381&ntpid=3

In any case, don't overlook Morency. That's all I'm saying.

BTW: Obviously as a Lions homer, I have no room to talk. I take my jabs strictly out of obligation.

Lions 8-8

Pack 6-10

:wall:

We suck

There's a difference between 'no concern' and where I'm at. This doesn't appear to be something that will linger. And frankly, Jackson hasn't exactly been lighting up training camp proving that he's deserving of a starting spot.

They have seen Morency in the system. They know what they have. Whether or not he plays in the preseason is irrelevant in this case. When they go live for the open, my money's on Morency starting.

There's a difference between 'no concern' and where I'm at. This doesn't appear to be something that will linger. And frankly, Jackson hasn't exactly been lighting up training camp proving that he's deserving of a starting spot.

They have seen Morency in the system. They know what they have. Whether or not he plays in the preseason is irrelevant in this case. When they go live for the open, my money's on Morency starting.

i appreciate all the feedback. i'm so interested because i've got both backs on a tight roster waiting to see who starts. i really could use the roster space... is it enough of a given that i can go ahead and cut jackson?

i appreciate all the feedback. i'm so interested because i've got both backs on a tight roster waiting to see who starts. i really could use the roster space... is it enough of a given that i can go ahead and cut jackson?

Can you wait a week or so? There's been no news at all on Morency. All we get is 'a few more weeks'. Plus, it's possible Jackson could get comfortable and flip a switch.

A lot can happen between now and the opener, so I'd give a week or two to be safe. If Jackson is progressing at that time, I'd hold off even longer. If he's still making the same mistakes, I'd move on.

Can you wait a week or so? There's been no news at all on Morency. All we get is 'a few more weeks'. Plus, it's possible Jackson could get comfortable and flip a switch.

A lot can happen between now and the opener, so I'd give a week or two to be safe. If Jackson is progressing at that time, I'd hold off even longer. If he's still making the same mistakes, I'd move on.

yeah, i can and will. i'm actually waiting on both the tennessee and gb rb situations but only have lenwhale for tenn. if morency was a given i would drop jackson and pick up brown.

but.... something tells me the GB starter will be the better one to have (and i frankly have this hunch that lenwhale wins the tenn job anyways).

thanks again

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

We can agree to disagree then.....

Whatever you do, Mike McCarthy, don't let Brett Favre watch tape of blitz pickup Monday. Favre might not want to get under center again if Brandon Jackson is supposed to be protecting him. For only the third time this camp, the running backs squared off with the linebackers in the full-contact blitz drill. It was an absolute nightmare for Jackson, the Nebraska rookie. By subjective judgment, Jackson lost all eight of his matchups: three against free agent Rory Johnson, two against Tracy White and one each against Abdul Hodge, Tim Goodwell and Desmond Bishop. In the first two sessions, Jackson had a 2-4 mark but at least made some solid contact. This time, he kept lunging and he kept missing as his quarry raced past on one side or the other. Position coach Edgar Bennett stayed by Jackson's side, reminding him to stay with his technique. Then Jackson would blow another one and look skyward as if he couldn't believe this was happening. But it was, and the Packers have a major problem. They need Jackson to be like a bug on a bus, not roadkill. They need him to face people up, not duck and lunge. No question, it is a brutally difficult exercise for the backs. But this type of spectacle could ruin an offense come September. "There's no excuse for that," Jackson said. "I will get better." If he doesn't, he can't play.

-MJS-

A RB will not last long in the NFL if the only time he is on the field is to run the ball. He is regressing in blocking and he is doing it against scrubs. He'll start the season against the Eagles, Giants, Chargers, Vikings and Bears. Some pretty strong defenses in there. To make matters worse, he will play the easier two of the five on the road when blocking packages are more difficult to pick up. He is a very in experienced rookie with a mediocre line. Unless Morency is injured, Jackson won't see any PT. If he is drafted, rejoice unless it was you that picked him. He will be on the wire before October is over.