jeffkomlo

vetoable, dumb or makin too much of it

Team A trades: Jacobs and An. Johnson

Team B trades: Caddy and Kennison

Looks bad right? but vetoable? doesn't look like collusion from owners

thoughts?

so team a gets nothing while giving up all those players? :lol:

:music_guitarred:

Unless there is clear evidence of collusion, trades should never, never, never be vetoed.

i would definitely veto that...both RBs are about the same but the difference between those WRs is ridiculous (we're talking a diamond and cubic zirconia, maybe worse)

Guest RenoZ

Seriously, dude, get off your high horse and let guys trade who they want to trade.

I absolutely HATE when commissioners (and league members) try to cancel a trade because a team gets better. Isn't that the point of the trade?

Seriously, dude, get off your high horse and let guys trade who they want to trade.

I absolutely HATE when commissioners (and league members) try to cancel a trade because a team gets better. Isn't that the point of the trade?

the point of the trade is to benefit both teams..that trade clearly benefits one team

also, i hate when a trade like this identifies the dumb guy in the league and then everyone tries to rip him off

I wouldn't veto it, but I would be pissed. My very first question.....is this a free league?

I don't know how anyone can justify kennison being above an. johnson. I could see how someone could be high on caddy. basically this trade makes no sense. He would have to justify it....and I don't really need to see the rosters in this case, but as a rule of thumb, always list the rosters.

Guest _my_2_cents_

That's a god awful trade. Who'd want Caddy & Kennison over Jacobs and Andre Johnson?

I don't care the cause - I commission leagues democratically. If enough votes against (6) are registered by other league members, the commish decides.

If this came up in my $ league, I guarantee 2 things:

1. it would get the requisite # of votes against

2. I as commish would follow suit and kill it. Why do that even if not collusion? In the interest of competitive balance. Sometimes owners need to be protected from their own stupidity and this deal is so far out of whack that it has to b an inexperienced owner, a stupid owner, or collusion. There's no other explanation. One could maybe make the argument that Jacobs in injury prone and Caddy is in for a big season - but Caddy's already had more injury than Jacobs, and Jacobs looks 10X better in preseason. Then you get to Kennison for Andre Johnson and you're talking about a 3rd round WR for a 16th round WR.

No way in hell I'd pass that deal. I'm sure I'll get called all sorts of things for that by snobs here who say "the only reason to vote down a trade is for cheating" - but I call BS on that. There are all sorts of level of competence in FFB and in a league if friends, allowing that deal to pass would be allowing one friend to fock over another and 10 other friends to be pissed off about it. I would kill that deal in the interest of league harmony and balance.

Fortunately no one in my leagues would make or accept an offer that bad.

No sh!t.

So in other words, "Trading is only allowed if it makes NEITHER team better".

The guy getting Jacobs most likely thinks that Jacobs is going to remain the starter and have "Giants-Starting RB-like stats" and that Williams will continue to struggle.

So now I guess team-owner's opinions are worthless?

Guest RenoZ
the point of the trade is to benefit both teams..that trade clearly benefits one team

So, do you also create the pre-draft rankings for each of the owners and hand them out at the draft?

You are the one who decides which WR is better than another for everyone in the league?

What exactly would the basis for veto be? This isn't like trading Tomlinson for Tiki Barber or Michael Vick. With the information provided there is nothing on the surface that gives any justification for a veto on this trade.

So, do you also create the pre-draft rankings for each of the owners and hand them out at the draft?

You are the one who decides which WR is better than another for everyone in the league?

i definitely don't do that but anyone that has kennison remotely close to andre johnson on their pre-draft rankings should've stopped before they started

At the end of the season, they split the entry fee $ equally between all owners, just to be fair.

Guest _my_2_cents_

Sometimes there's more to life than black and white.

This deal is so far outside of the acceptable that it's laughable. This isn't a c0ck block on a team. It's a prevention of another team from committing league suicide. Clearly anyone making this deal from the Jacobs/AJ side hasn't a clue what they're doing.

While easy to justify the side getting those guys for Caddy and a completely worthless Kennison, it's impossible to justify the guy giving up two players with lower ADP, ranking and projections.

Again - if the majority of the league votes it down it doesn't matter the reason. You snobs with your one-track "ONLY VETO FOR COLLUSION!" mindset need to occasionally think outside the box.

IMO the trade is pretty lopsided. If it was my money league I would vote to veto the trade because it would give an unfair edge to the team getting Jacobs. If the team trading for Caddy and Kennison wanted them so badly why didn't they just draft them in the first place? Its still preseason so nothing has changed. Basically the team is downgrading its RB and WR without getting anything in return.

Here are the live draft results from ESPN.com about what pick overall each player gets chosen. Now I understand that its all subjective but again the team getting Caddy and Kennison is getting absolutely screwed.

Jacobs 35

Andre Johnson 53

Caddy 45

Kennison 146

Unless there's evidence of collusion (i.e., they're brother, they're gay lovers, they are brother who are also gay lovers, etc.) no trade should be vetoed. People paid to join a league and they should be allowed to manage the team they way they want. What if Caddy puts up top 10 RB numbers and Jacobs is in a RBBC all year on a crappy team? Whoever said all trades are supposed to be fair and balanced in the eyes of everyone in the league? As long as the parties involved believe its fair, then leave it alone.

If you want to make the argument that Kennison is better than Andre Johnson I'll be waiting to hear it. :shocking:

also, i hate when a trade like this identifies the dumb guy in the league and then everyone tries to rip him off

Clearly benefits one team according to you. The season hasn't even started yet, and all ready you have determined the final stats of a player. You could be very wrong.

I'm not picking on you specifically, and I don't want to come across as a assbag. It's just that we see these kinds of threads on here all the time, about vetoing trades. How many people will look at teams right after the draft, and decide which teams are good and which teams are bad? And, by the end of the season, those opinions were completely wrong. I have been in leagues were trades could be vetoed by votes or by the commissioner. Those were the worst leagues I've ever been in.

In a league with vetoes, how would everybody felt about a Randy Moss for Marques Colston trade last year as the season began? You need proof of collusion. Otherwise, no vetoes.

2. I as commish would follow suit and kill it. Why do that even if not collusion? In the interest of competitive balance. Sometimes owners need to be protected from their own stupidity and this deal is so far out of whack that it has to b an inexperienced owner, a stupid owner, or collusion. There's no other explanation. One could maybe make the argument that Jacobs in injury prone and Caddy is in for a big season - but Caddy's already had more injury than Jacobs, and Jacobs looks 10X better in preseason. Then you get to Kennison for Andre Johnson and you're talking about a 3rd round WR for a 16th round WR.

It doesn't matter what your opinion is on caddy vs. jacobs. the fact is, who knows which will be better? certainly not you or anyone else on this forum. most people think jacobs will be more valuable, but it's up to each individual owner to decide for themselves.

as for kennison vs andre johnson....well that's a head scratcher. It's safe to say johnson will be better than kennison. this is not like caddy vs jacobs. I believe you should let owners trade as they will, but wtf. As I said, I wouldn't veto it, but I would need to hear a legit reason from the boneheaded owner.

everyone that says only veto if there is collusion, no one will ever admit that is the case and someone smart will never make the collusion obvious. IMO that trade looks like cadillac may have been thrown in there to disguise the collusion

Guest RenoZ
Sometimes there's more to life than black and white.

This deal is so far outside of the acceptable that it's laughable. This isn't a c0ck block on a team. It's a prevention of another team from committing league suicide. Clearly anyone making this deal from the Jacobs/AJ side hasn't a clue what they're doing.

While easy to justify the side getting those guys for Caddy and a completely worthless Kennison, it's impossible to justify the guy giving up two players with lower ADP, ranking and projections.

Again - if the majority of the league votes it down it doesn't matter the reason. You snobs with your one-track "ONLY VETO FOR COLLUSION!" mindset need to occasionally think outside the box.

Dumb.

1.) It IS a ######-block on a team.

2.) You are pre-determining which players are better/worse for the owners. Not cool.

3.) Collusion IS the only time you veto a trade. Ever.

Who's to say this guy doesn't have Caddy ranked above Jacobs? It's possible. Clear starter vs. a guy with a lot of questions. He's taking a hit at WR to improve (in his mind) his RBs. Fock, I am the commissioner in two leagues right now and wouldn't veto anything like this ever - definately not at this time of the year. If it was Week 10 and the "quality" of the players was pretty well determined and one team MAY be helping another to prepare for the playoffs...different story.

No way in hell I'd pass that deal. I'm sure I'll get called all sorts of things for that by snobs here who say "the only reason to vote down a trade is for cheating" - but I call BS on that. There are all sorts of level of competence in FFB and in a league if friends, allowing that deal to pass would be allowing one friend to fock over another and 10 other friends to be pissed off about it. I would kill that deal in the interest of league harmony and balance.

Wow. You suck at being a commissioner. I would be forced to have you killed in a very disgusting manner.

Dumb.

1.) It IS a ######-block on a team.

2.) You are pre-determining which players are better/worse for the owners. Not cool.

3.) Collusion IS the only time you veto a trade. Ever.

Who's to say this guy doesn't have Caddy ranked above Jacobs? It's possible. Clear starter vs. a guy with a lot of questions. He's taking a hit at WR to improve (in his mind) his RBs. Fock, I am the commissioner in two leagues right now and wouldn't veto anything like this ever - definately not at this time of the year. If it was Week 10 and the "quality" of the players was pretty well determined and one team MAY be helping another to prepare for the playoffs...different story.

Again, if the owner thought that Caddy is ranked that much above Jacobs to be worth Andre Johnson for a WW WR then they would have drafted him instead of Jacobs in the first place. Can the original poster of this thread tell us in which round each player was drafted? Thanks.

Clearly benefits one team according to you. The season hasn't even started yet, and all ready you have determined the final stats of a player. You could be very wrong.

I'm not picking on you specifically, and I don't want to come across as a assbag. It's just that we see these kinds of threads on here all the time, about vetoing trades. How many people will look at teams right after the draft, and decide which teams are good and which teams are bad? And, by the end of the season, those opinions were completely wrong. I have been in leagues were trades could be vetoed by votes or by the commissioner. Those were the worst leagues I've ever been in.

In a league with vetoes, how would everybody felt about a Randy Moss for Marques Colston trade last year as the season began? You need proof of collusion. Otherwise, no vetoes.

colston and kennison are 2 different situations though..colston was a rookie on a team with a high powered offense...kennison is a vet that has been on the same team for a bit and they just about pass to nobody but gonzalez and lj out of the backfield. i don't see (or how anyone else could) kennison getting any better. he puts up average numbers (wow it hurt to call his stats that) at best

Guest RenoZ
colston and kennison are 2 different situations though..colston was a rookie on a team with a high powered offense...

Really?

The Saints were a high powered offense last year before the season started? Check their offensive stats from the 2005 season and get back to me.

Guest RenoZ
If you want to make the argument that Kennison is better than Andre Johnson I'll be waiting to hear it. :shocking:

I said that...uhhh...where?

Guest RenoZ
IMO that trade looks like cadillac may have been thrown in there to disguise the collusion

If this is the case and you can, indeed, prove it then you must veto the trade.

Really?

The Saints were a high powered offense last year before the season started? Check their offensive stats from the 2005 season and get back to me.

that offense had nowhere to go but up after adding drew brees and reggie bush (and colston but we will leave him out since onbody knew how good he was at the beginning of the season)

Guest _my_2_cents_

Nice strawman...here, allow me to knock it down for you:

Despite every fantasy resource, free or paid ranking these two players as worlds apart disregarding the fact that there's terrible QB in KC and Kennison hasn't done squat in the preseason, and not even considering the ADP (AJ = 41st ovrall, Kennison = 133rd overall per MockDraftCentral) there's the basic focking stats that these players put up, which are available to everyone for free at ESPN, CBS and 99.999 likely on whatever league hosting site these guys are playing on so it's RIGHT THERE for them while evaluating the trade.

So looking exclusively at that, what do we see? Hrm, let's take a look:

Andre Johnson: 26 years old, in his 4 year career he had 66, 79, 63 and 103 receptions (2006 - last year) and appears on an upward trend. Johnson's year with the least receptions is 5 catches less than Kennison in his BEST season. Has as many 1000+ seasons in 4 years as Kennison in 11 seasons, and both times passed Kennison's best totals. With a terrible O-Line, no complimentary receiver and a QB who was essentially run out of town his TD totals were 4, 6, 2, 5 and now he has a beter QB, defense and and an improving O-Line.

Eddie Kennison: 34 years old, had more than 5 TDs once in the last 10 seasons (8 in 2004) has surpassed 62 recrptions once in his 11 year career, and has gone over 1000 yds 2 times in his 11 year career. Also appears to be on a downward trend dropping off in both yds and receptions last year.

This ain't rocket science - anyone who doesn't know that a 3rd rounder is better than an 11th rounder needs to have his head examined.

And for sh!ts and giggles, I checked the ADP of Caddy Vs Jacobs and Caddy cmes in at 42 (3.05, with a low of 59, 4.09) and Jacobs comes in at 28 (2.03 with a low of 50, 4.01) for standard scoring 12 teeam redrafts.

Thus, the Jacobs/Johnson guy gets so much more value than the Caddy/Kennison guy that it's a laughable deal that either involves cheating or utter stupidity. And sometimes the commish IS the best person to make that determiniation and step in to help preserve the balance of the league. If this deal passed AFTER the majority of the league voted it down for obvious reasons, then you'll have a hell of a time keeping that league intact for future years.

I love the "voto only for cheating" snobs who have zero perspective of a league's dynamic and how a deal like this has the potential to kill a league for future seasons. Again, think outside the box.

colston and kennison are 2 different situations though..colston was a rookie on a team with a high powered offense...kennison is a vet that has been on the same team for a bit and they just about pass to nobody but gonzalez and lj out of the backfield. i don't see (or how anyone else could) kennison getting any better. he puts up average numbers (wow it hurt to call his stats that) at best

How about trading Lamont Jordan for Maurice Jones Drew last year before the season started. There are huge busts every year, and surprises every year. You simply cannot accurately predict how every single players will perform this year. All you can do is simply project points, create a cheat sheet, and pray.

I have been commish of a number of leagues every year. I never vetoed a trade, no matter how many owners complained. And at the end of the season, those "controversial" trades ended up fair or had zero impact on the league, every single time.

Whenever I had a trade vetoed where I was not commish, I quit at the end of the year. It's a matter of principal to me.

Despite every fantasy resource, free or paid ranking these two players as worlds apart disregarding the fact that there's terrible QB in KC and Kennison hasn't done squat in the preseason, and not even considering the ADP (AJ = 41st ovrall, Kennison = 133rd overall per MockDraftCentral) there's the basic focking stats that these players put up, which are available to everyone for free at ESPN, CBS and 99.999 likely on whatever league hosting site these guys are playing on so it's RIGHT THERE for them while evaluating the trade.

Andre Johnson: 26 years old, in his 4 year career he had 66, 79, 63 and 103 receptions (2006 - last year) and appears on an upward trend. Johnson's year with the least receptions is 5 catches less than Kennison in his BEST season. Has as many 1000+ seasons in 4 years as Kennison in 11 seasons, and both times passed Kennison's best totals. With a terrible O-Line, no complimentary receiver and a QB who was essentially run out of town his TD totals were 4, 6, 2, 5 and now he has a beter QB, defense and and an improving O-Line.

Eddie Kennison: 34 years old, had more than 5 TDs once in the last 10 seasons (8 in 2004) has surpassed 62 recrptions once in his 11 year career, and has gone over 1000 yds 2 times in his 11 year career. Also appears to be on a downward trend dropping off in both yds and receptions last year.

This ain't rocket science - anyone who doesn't know that a 3rd rounder is better than an 11th rounder needs to have his head examined.

And for sh!ts and giggles, I checked the ADP of Caddy Vs Jacobs and Caddy cmes in at 42 (3.05, with a low of 59, 4.09) and Jacobs comes in at 28 (2.03 with a low of 50, 4.01) for standard scoring 12 teeam redrafts.

Thus, the Jacobs/Johnson guy gets so much more value than the Caddy/Kennison guy that it's a laughable deal that either involves cheating or utter stupidity. And sometimes the commish IS the best person to make that determiniation and step in to help preserve the balance of the league. If this deal passed AFTER the majority of the league voted it down for obvious reasons, then you'll have a hell of a time keeping that league intact for future years.

I love the "voto only for cheating" snobs who have zero perspective of a league's dynamic and how a deal like this has the potential to kill a league for future seasons. Again, think outside the box.

:shocking: atleast there's 2 of us that see it this way

I said that...uhhh...where?

You said that here when talking about rankings. Personally I don't think that a saying a WR drafted 10 rounds later than Johnson should have to even be explained as to why they're not worth as much. Its one thing if your talking about players drafted within a couple rounds of each other but come on Kennison? Seriously?

If this is the case and you can, indeed, prove it then you must veto the trade.

Uh how exactly is someone supposed to prove collusion? Is he going to have both teams bank records seized and gone over by auditors? Everyone keeps saying that collusion has to be proven but this is fantasy football so how exactly do you prove collusion? The best evidence is the trade. I would rather have 2 pissed off owners who get their unfair trade shot down instead of 10 pissed off owners who feel like they are getting screwed because a team is just giving away talent.

Guest _my_2_cents_
It doesn't matter what your opinion is on caddy vs. jacobs. the fact is, who knows which will be better? certainly not you or anyone else on this forum. most people think jacobs will be more valuable, but it's up to each individual owner to decide for themselves.

Wrong. it most certainly does matter what I think. in the league constitution the league members elected me as that governing party. So again - your reasoning here is flawed. It's not like as commish I just step in and shoot it down.

The context of my determination is that more than 1/2 the league has voted agian st this deal and in the constitution the league has authorized me to be the final authority on whether that deal in that circumstans is approved.

This whole, "who are you to decide whether it's a fair deal" is just a load of crap - I'll tell you who I am: I am the guy who the league elected to be the guy to make that determination. If I am involved in the deal, the co-commish is the one to determine it, and it it's a deal between I and the co-commish we have a 3rd league member as an alternate to make the determination.

This is why we have a league constitution and have a league voting process for trades. If you don't like it, great - don't play in my league. But don't go telling me I have no right to make the decision, because it is precisely my call to make once 6 of 12 league members voiced their opinion as to vote down the deal.

And again: think outside the box. 1/2 the league or more votes a deal down for imbalance, and the commish says, "well they're not cheating even though one guy is clearly raping the other, so I'm approving it" - hey, good luck filling your league next year because none of the people who voted it down will want to play in that league the next year.

Guest RenoZ

You type for a half hour about stats and ADPs being the deciding factor in trades...and then tell me to think outside the box? Hilarity.

If one team loses to the other in the Super Bowl because Cadillac runs wild and he lost out on him, are you going to reimburse his winnings? Seriously?

You CANNOT tell another owner who they can or cannot have on their roster. They paid an entry fee just like you did. You can, however, not invite him back next year if you want the league to be a little more competitive.

How about trading Lamont Jordan for Maurice Jones Drew last year before the season started. There are huge busts every year, and surprises every year. You simply cannot accurately predict how every single players will perform this year. All you can do is simply project points, create a cheat sheet, and pray.

I have been commish of a number of leagues every year. I never vetoed a trade, no matter how many owners complained. And at the end of the season, those "controversial" trades ended up fair or had zero impact on the league, every single time.

Whenever I had a trade vetoed, I quit at the end of the year. It's a matter of principal to me.

the lamont jordan owner would have NEVER made this trade before the start of the season though considering he had to take lamont early in the first round just to get him...nobody would trade their first round pick for someone that didn't even get drafted in most leagues

I'm sure I can come up with a list of busts and breakout players too but that doesn't change the fact that the trade is BS. That situation has nothing to do with this one. If a team wanted WJD badly enough to trade Jordan last year they would have drafted them. Drew was on the WW for most leagues and could have been had for free. If a team did want to trade for him before the season it surely wouldn't have cost Jordan.

According to this logic it would be fine with you for a team to trade Chris Henry (TEN) for Travis Henry? You know because I think Travis is an injury concern and Chris might breakout. You have to take into account the value during the preseason. Its not fair for the other 10 owners in the league who get screwed because 1 team becomes stacked due to another idiot or cheating owner.

That's a god awful trade. Who'd want Caddy & Kennison over Jacobs and Andre Johnson?

I don't care the cause - I commission leagues democratically. If enough votes against (6) are registered by other league members, the commish decides.

If this came up in my $ league, I guarantee 2 things:

1. it would get the requisite # of votes against

So to belong in your league, you need to accept your own personal ranking system, for which all trades will be judged against...

You are an idiot.

You are judging a traed based on preseason perfomance. :cheers:

You should be removed of your duties as commish and rightfully take a savage beating from a tube sock stuffed with quarters.

Guest RenoZ
You said that here when talking about rankings.

I said that I would like to argue Kennison's worth vs. Johnson's worth? Show me a link, dipsh1t.