Sign in to follow this  
bigmarc27

Any plumbers?

I have a tiny 40 gallon whirlpool electric hot water heater. Over the weekend I noticed I wasn't getting any hot water. I check the circuit breaker. It wasn't tripped, but I reset the switch anyway and the hot water came back. Fast forward to this morning and the hot water is gone again. I didn't reset the switch since I left for work, but does anyone have an idea what it could be? It's not really cold water, it's just very cool water. I had just the hot water switch turned on and the temperature was never higher than luke-warm.

:banana:

Could be the lower heating element gone bad. The dip tube draws the water from the bottom of the tank while the upper element still heats... leaving luke warm water. take an OHM meter and check the lower element. Open=bad

how much would that cost?

Is it something I could do myself? I just bought the house in the past 8 months and have a home warranty. It would cost $55 to get them out to the house.

Without being there and knowing for sure that is the problem...I could talk you through it. First, cut off the circuit breaker, open the access panel, and OHM out the two nuts on the element. If it reads open...drain the water heater, buy an element socket, pull the old one out, go to Lowe's and buy the same watt element, and install. Fill tank and reset breaker. Wait 1 hour and test.

I actually think I need an electrician. I went home and checked the heating elements - one for sure had electricity running through it... trust me. It wasn't working, though. Then I switched the circuit on and off and I hear it start running again.

:unsure: