Sign in to follow this  
gobuckeyes

Big 10 is overrated

wtf UM?

I guess I have to concede this until one team in the conference actually shows they can play serious football. Oregon dominated today and our offense just sounded horrible. I blame this on the Big 10 Network and the fact that the conference heads are apparently so pretentious they think they deserve their own premium cable channel. Only good thing that might come out of this is that after this season I might actually be able to go back to watching OSU games on TV.

Have at it.

I don't know about the entire Big Ten, but Wisconsin is underrated year after year.

wtf UM?

I guess I have to concede this until one team in the conference actually shows they can play serious football. Oregon dominated today and our offense just sounded horrible. I blame this on the Big 10 Network and the fact that the conference heads are apparently so pretentious they think they deserve their own premium cable channel. Only good thing that might come out of this is that after this season I might actually be able to go back to watching OSU games on TV.

Have at it.

Actually, I have heard several people comment that it would be weak this year.

ACC is the worst BCS conference, but the Big Ten may take claim to that honor by the end of the year. However if VaTech beats LSU....my post is shattered

I don't know about the entire Big Ten, but Wisconsin is underrated year after year.

:bandana:

More like Pac 10 is underrated.

When I saw "Last reply: RicemanX", I knew it would be about the Pac-10. Spot on.

Settle down commish!

:)

Damn near every year. Again, I knew this would happen. Wisconsin ranked highly, Michigan a down year. So automatically, everyone can't wait to rag on the Bit Ten. Happens every time.

but Wisconsin is underrated year after year.

They are number 5 in both polls-how is that underrated?

I am pretty sure we are in some of the first signs of the apocolypse. Michigan and Notre Dame are 0-2. Missouri and Northwestern are 2-0.

Pac 10 is stacked this year. Its only been two games but they are easily best conference so far.

Big 12 underrated? I mean, Texas really dominated Arkansas St. at home, it took 3 OTs for A&M to finish off Fresno St., and Nebraska struggled with Wake Forest. I'll give you Oklahoma, they look like a National Championship team, but I dont know about the rest. (OH CRAP! I just remembered I'm a Michigan fan!) Please disregard the previous statements.

Pac 10 is stacked this year. Its only been two games but they are easily best conference so far.

packed?...maybe 3 teams are packed but how about oregon state getting there a$$ kicked in cincy land...aka big east country! :)

GO SPARTY! :pointstosky:

I'm actually siked about the Big Ten Network. This is the first year in many I didn't pay for Game Plan and so far I've been able to watch the games I've wanted to anyways. Oh well maybe next year Michigan.

It's just like a backhanded compliment. Michigan is bad, so automatically that makes the Big Ten bad. So, if Wisconsin is the best the conference has to offer, they must suck too right?

And just wait until Bowl season. Not matter who Wisconsin plays, they'll be too slow and too outclassed to compete.

Damn near every year. Again, I knew this would happen. Wisconsin ranked highly, Michigan a down year. So automatically, everyone can't wait to rag on the Bit Ten. Happens every time.

Are you planning on going to some games this year??

Are you planning on going to some games this year??

Possibly. I have a chance to score tickets to the Michigan State game. Got same family out in Vegas right now.

You?

Newsflash: Big Ten Network isn't pretentious - just first to market. All of the other conferences will follow suit with their own networks in the next couple of years.

Incidentally - Go Purdue! :pointstosky:

how about oregon state getting there a$$ kicked in cincy land

Oregon State is the Pac 10 team you are going to kick?

USC, UCLA, Oregon, Cal even Washington(beat Boise State) and Arizona State are solid this year.

Just wondering, who did Wisconsin play last year in their bowl game? Oh yeah, Arkansas. What conference are they in? Oh yeah, the dominant SEC. Who won the game? Oh yeah Wisconsin. Out classed and too slow? Not so much.

Newsflash: Big Ten Network isn't pretentious - just first to market. All of the other conferences will follow suit with their own networks in the next couple of years.

Incidentally - Go Purdue! :pointstosky:

Regardless, I hate them. I hate the NFL Network. Hate.

They don't need anymore of my damn paycheck. I'll gladly turn on the radio.

Pac 10 - Consistently underrated because they can't or don't care to play defense. Bowl record has been pretty strong over the last decade.

BigTen - Noted for being a slow and top heavy conference. However, their players time just fine at the combine and the middle tier has put together a solid bowl record. In fact, the Big Ten has dominated the Big 12 and is above 0.500 against the SEC (by a game or two) over the last ten years (not sure if this changed after last season). Additionally, the Big Ten negotiated some tough bowls as their #3 typically plays the SEC #2 and their #4 or #5 often plays the Big 12 #2. Even so, bowl record is pretty solid.

Big Twelve - Without doubt the most overrated conference. Has become the big two and little ten since Nebraska fell off the map.

SEC - A great conference but not nearly as dominant as many believe when you look at their historical bowl performance. There was a two or three year stretch where their conference runner up lost to an alsoran big ten team. Again, probably on top right now but not with as much breathing room as some believe.

ACC - I think they're underrated, but that is just recent. Now that Miami, BC and VT are in the fold, the conference has top talent and depth. Suddenly Clemson and NC State are no longer main teams but depth. This may be a down year (because FSU and Miami both suck) but it won't stay that way. Too much talent in Florida for only one good team. Bowl records won't tell the whole story for a few more years (because of the recent changes). I think it will ultimately reflect my perception.

Big East - Honestly. Doesn't really belong in the conversation and shouldn't get an automatic BCS bid. A truly terrible conference that doesn't get dogged enough because they consistently pull the weakest BCS opponent.

If you can't tell, I'm a HUGE believer in bowl records. Each conference will send 6ish teams to bowls. Over ten years that equates to 60 games and filters out the Indiana's, Dukes and Vanderbilts that skew perception. It also filters out gimmes against teams like App State (doah). FWIW, the SEC wrote the book on gimmies.

Just wondering, who did Wisconsin play last year in their bowl game? Oh yeah, Arkansas. What conference are they in? Oh yeah, the dominant SEC. Who won the game? Oh yeah Wisconsin. Out classed and too slow? Not so much.

That's the point I was making. We hear the same thing every year, and this year will be no different. In fact, it will be worse. Because Michigan apparently sucks and Ohio State won't be all that great. Which means Wisconsin and Penn State might be the two best teams in the league. Which is completely unsexy. As soon as the press gets ahold of it, all we'll hear is how 'down' the Big Ten is. Then Wisconin will draw someone from a 'name' conference in the bowl game and immediately be dismissed. Happnes every year.

Possibly. I have a chance to score tickets to the Michigan State game. Got same family out in Vegas right now.

You?

I was at washington state and had fun but was overserved. :overhead:

I'll be at Iowa and msu and probably just at the Big Ten Pub for michigan... But those tickets are looking easier and easier to score. :pointstosky:

Let me know if you're going to be down there and we'll meet up.

I was at washington state and had fun but was overserved. :overhead:

I'll be at Iowa and msu and probably just at the Big Ten Pub for michigan... But those tickets are looking easier and easier to score. :pointstosky:

Let me know if you're going to be down there and we'll meet up.

I find it soooo hard to believe you'd be overserved. That's just crazy talk.

We'll definitely have to hook up. I had plans to make the Iowa game with some corn fed Iowa fans, but that might have fallen through.

Don't forget UW knocked the snot out of Auburn the year before. :pointstosky:

It's just like a backhanded compliment. Michigan is bad, so automatically that makes the Big Ten bad. So, if Wisconsin is the best the conference has to offer, they must suck too right?

And just wait until Bowl season. Not matter who Wisconsin plays, they'll be too slow and too outclassed to compete.

2007 Capital One...Wisconsin 17 Arkansas 14

2006 Capital One...Wisconsin 24 Auburn 10

2005 Outback........Georgia 24 Wisconsin 21

2003 Music City......Auburn 28, Wisconsin 14

2002 Alamo...........Wisconsin 31, Colorado 28

2000 Sun...............Wisconsin 21, UCLA 20

1999 Rose.............Wisconsin 17, Stanford 9

1998 Rose..............Wisconsin 38, UCLA 31

1997 Outback..........Georgia 33, Wisconsin 6

1996 Copper...........Wisconsin 38, Utah 10

1994 Hall Of Fame...Wisconsin 34, Duke 20

1993 Rose..............Wisconsin 21, UCLA 16

9-3 in their last 12 games....don't seem like their too slow or outclassed. 2-2 vs the SEC the last four. It doesn't matter how well they finish the regular season they're never even in the talks for a National Championship!

That's the point I was making. We hear the same thing every year, and this year will be no different. In fact, it will be worse. Because Michigan apparently sucks and Ohio State won't be all that great. Which means Wisconsin and Penn State might be the two best teams in the league. Which is completely unsexy. As soon as the press gets ahold of it, all we'll hear is how 'down' the Big Ten is. Then Wisconin will draw someone from a 'name' conference in the bowl game and immediately be dismissed. Happnes every year.

Maybe Wisconsin should be good when Michigan and OSU are. I dont think anyone is going to dismiss Wisconsin just because they are in the Big Ten.

2007 Capital One...Wisconsin 17 Arkansas 14

2006 Capital One...Wisconsin 24 Auburn 10

2005 Outback........Georgia 24 Wisconsin 21

2003 Music City......Auburn 28, Wisconsin 14

2002 Alamo...........Wisconsin 31, Colorado 28

2000 Sun...............Wisconsin 21, UCLA 20

1999 Rose.............Wisconsin 17, Stanford 9

1998 Rose..............Wisconsin 38, UCLA 31

1997 Outback..........Georgia 33, Wisconsin 6

1996 Copper...........Wisconsin 38, Utah 10

1994 Hall Of Fame...Wisconsin 34, Duke 20

1993 Rose..............Wisconsin 21, UCLA 16

9-3 in their last 12 games....don't seem like their too slow or outclassed. 2-2 vs the SEC the last four. It doesn't matter how well they finish the regular season they're never even in the talks for a National Championship!

Folks, that was sarcasm. I'm a Badger fan. No matter what Wisconsin does, they'll always be underrated and dismissed at Bowl time. That's just the way it is. Not saying it's accurate, just saying it's true.

Maybe Wisconsin should be good when Michigan and OSU are. I dont think anyone is going to dismiss Wisconsin just because they are in the Big Ten.

This is friggin' brilliant. :overhead:

When Wisconsin beats Michigan or Ohio State, you do know that makes the Big Ten automatically "Down" right? So, Wisconsin is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Frankly, it's disgusting.

What was Wisconsin's record last year?

I believe they were 12-1, so there you go?!

Folks, that was sarcasm. I'm a Badger fan. No matter what Wisconsin does, they'll always be underrated and dismissed at Bowl time. That's just the way it is. Not saying it's accurate, just saying it's true.

My bad, didn't see your location!

The best conference by far is the SEC. Just look at the polls.

Coaches top 25.

SEC-6 with 2 in the top 10 (LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, Tennessee)

Big 12- 4 with 2 in top 10 (Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Texas A&M)

PAC-10-3 with 2 in top 10 (USC, California, UCLA)

Big East-3 with 2 in top 10 (West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers)

ACC- 3 with 1 in top 10 (Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Boston College)

Big 10- 3 with 1 in top 10 (Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State)

WAC- 2 with 0 in top 10 (Boise State, Hawaii)

Mountain- 1 with 0 in top 10 (TCU)

If you use the AP then the only change is

ACC- 3 with 1 in top 10 (Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson {instead of Boston College})

There will be a few changes next week after all the games are done but for the most part the major conferences will keep the same number of teams in the top 25.

I'll bet ya Oregon gets into the Top 25 this week.

Coaches top 25.

ACC- 3 with 1 in top 10 (Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson {instead of Boston College})

There will be a few changes next week after all the games are done but for the most part the major conferences will keep the same number of teams in the top 25.

For some reason my last sentence was not posted.

Since Boise State lost they will fall out of the top 25 and I see South Carolina, Alabama, Oregon, or Washington moving up into the top 25

:banana: I like wisky, but they solidifioed a weak big 10 this evening

When I saw "Last reply: RicemanX", I knew it would be about the Pac-10. Spot on.

THanks for knowing that I am a West Coast homer in every sport possible. :banana:

Coaches top 25.

Right, but my whole point (largely ignored as usual because people like to spout opinion and don't like facts that contradict that) is that polls and voting and rankings are about perception. What really matters is RESULTS. By far the most meaningful results are the bowl games. While the SEC consistently outclasses the big ten in perceived speed and rankings, somehow they don't when it comes to bowl games. Odd eh? The counter now is Florida versus OSU, but that is one game. Look at the two conferences over time. They play a LOT of bowl games and the SEC team is almost always a higher seed than the Big Ten team (in-conference standings - ie SEC #2 often plays Big Ten #3 or even #4). Even with that, as of last year the Big Ten was ahead of the SEC in head to head bowls over a ten year span. That may have changed but even if so it's just about 0.500 either way. Yet when you listen to prognasticators and see AP rankings and blindly accept the speed myth despite evidence to the contrary at the NFL combine, that seems entirely impossible.

Coaches top 25.

You lost every ounce of credibility you might have had when you decided to use the polls as a basis for your argument.

The polls...pre-season, and every week they're released prior to October...are the curse of college football. They have no basis in reality, and are instead skewed to do exactly what this thread is about: overrate teams and conferences.

The polls exist for several reasons: to make sure that the power schools and conferences are in line to garner the biggest paydays come bowl season; to give TV better promotional tools for their broadcasts; and to fuel the argument for people that don't want to or can't understand what happens on the field, but can grasp that #1 must be better than #6.

How can anyone that has watched Michigan & Ohio State touted as the best teams last season, seen Appalachian State whip Michigan but still go without a vote in either poll, noticed yesterdays results (ie South Florida, Virginia Tech) still think that the polls mean anything when it comes to assessing the ability of teams? The only stat more worthless in sports than a poll ranking is a Chris Webber double-double. Looks good in the paper. Makes you some money. Has no relationship to the team/player's actual ability or superiority to an opponent.

wisconsin blows. thier #5 ranking is based on last years season in the Crap 10.

the same idiots that thought auburn, bosie state, Michigan, FSU.... were top 25 think they are #5.