Sign in to follow this  
Monochrome

Shula tries to save his gravy train

The Dolphins had a dominant rushing attack with two thousand yard rushers and a 500 yard rusher. They also had a dominating #1 ranked defense. Their passing game was about the worst in the league.

Not really, they didn't pass very much due to their dominant running game but were very good when they did. Morrall had the best yards per attempt average in the league and even combined with Greise they had about the 2nd best average. They were only like 18th out of 26 teams in yards but 11th for TD passes.

They also played an easy schedule.

True, but they did have to play the AFC championship in Pittsburgh that year due to a rotating schedule back then. Not something a team would have to do anymore.

Oh really... The COLTS were cheating with fake crowd noise, totally exposed...

No actually they weren't. :doublethumbsup:

Guest _my_2_cents_
This is INCORRECT. The HOF doesn't SUPPORT the asterick, they want the ball in whatever form, as a piece of baseball history. They've been very explicit with this.

Edit: oh, and there are tons of examples of 'cheating' in the NFL, penalities, violations, substances, its an entirely different, and ridiculous assertion that a minor offense create some asterick that proves nothing other than being a symbol of fan hate.

denial is not just a river in egypt. By accepting the * ball, the HOF is supporting it. To not support it would be to decline the ball because it was marred. Bonds himself has stated that if they accept the ball, that he wants no part of the HOF - including his own induction. So accepting that ball is a pretty clear message that they support the branding of it. And it's a terrible decision by the HOF, but that's another subject.

Patriots = cheaters. caught. red handed. guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Punished even.

They should indeed get the * if they go undefeated. shula's Dolphins did it without videotaping the opposing team's signals.

hth

They should indeed get the * if they go undefeated. shula's Dolphins did it without videotaping the opposing team's signals.

How do you know????

All I did was ask a question. :doublethumbsup:

You are like every woman I have ever dated. You answer a question with another question. :dunno:

Me: Honey, what do you want for dinner?

Her: What do you want?

:lol:

First of all, I call BS on you ever dating a woman. At least one that did not have a nozzle to blow her up. :lol:

Secondly, you are like a woman in that you ASSUMED that I said something that I didn't. Pay attention. I never criticized Shula. You can deny that you meant that, but you used the term "also".

Now, Shula can say whatever the hell that he wants. He is entitled to his opinion. I disagree with his assessment, but I would not criticize him for making his opinion known.

Guest _my_2_cents_
How do you know????

In 1972 you'd need a whole crew to carry the camera. :banana:

hth

:banana: You have no fooking clue what Shula did or did not do in terms of competitive advantages. Stop acting like you do.

Here is a tissue. When you are done with that go fock yourself. You have pretty much whined about everyfockingsinglething the Patriots do. It has gone so far beyond sour grapes it is just downright comical. :overhead:

It's grammAr, by the way. I'm sorry that some of us intellectuals that still give a rip about proper sentence creation still exist, but your first post just hurt my head reading it. I knew what you were trying to say, but come on. Make getting your point across a little easier by using a few commas, periods, hyphens, whatever.

1. It's "we intellectuals" not "us intellectuals"

2. Your comma in your phrase ..."trying to say, but come on."...should be after the word but...not before.

3. Your last sentence creation was incomplete...ending with ..."hyphens, whatever."

Just wanted to point these out...so long as you are educating the peasants, Professor. :banana:

Not really, they didn't pass very much due to their dominant running game but were very good when they did. Morrall had the best yards per attempt average in the league and even combined with Greise they had about the 2nd best average. They were only like 18th out of 26 teams in yards but 11th for TD passes.

Good points, but they were near the bottom in attempts and completions and bottom quarter in yards. Yeah, when they hit passes they hit them big. That happens often with teams that overwhelmingly run the ball. The defense is thinking run and is caught off guard when they actually do pass. You see it all the time in high school football. Morrall's job was very easy compared to any backup trying to come in and run any current NFL offense, and especially one like NE's that revolves around Brady and his ability to read and adjust.

Guest _my_2_cents_
:pointstosky: You have no fooking clue what Shula did or did not do in terms of competitive advantages. Stop acting like you do.

Neither do you, but you seem to be making allegations that Shula and his team somehow cheated - obvious deflection since there's nothing whatever to support it. However your Pats DID CHEAT. They got CAUGHT cheating, and they were punished by the league for cheating.

Thus, Pats = cheaters. No amount of deflection will change that. Your random assertion that the Dolphins cheated is somewhat bizarre. and talk about "sour grapes" - you are seriously referring to the Patriots cheating as "gaining a competitive advantage"? Those two things are mutually exclusive. Cheating is cheating - deliberately violating league rules. "gaining a competitive advantage" is changing cleats at halftime to account for a sloppy field. You are 100% in denial and laughably so.

Here is a tissue. When you are done with that go fock yourself. You have pretty much whined about everyfockingsinglething the Patriots do. It has gone so far beyond sour grapes it is just downright comical. :thumbsup:

actually I haven't whined about a thing.

Just because I called the Pats cheaters and have continued to describe their blatant cheating, which they were caught for somehow compells you to attack me?

Fascinating.

Perhaps instead of lashing out at people for observing, they Pats fans could turn their angst inwards to the source of the problem: your team is a bunch of cheaters. You should write them a letter, or stop going to games - send a message that you won't stand for it. That's what people suggested Giants fans do with Bonds a couple years back...and the Pats actually got caught!

Sorry...Patriots = Synonymous with cheating. If they go undefeated, give 'em an *

The Pats will rest all of their starters and lose the last game of the season... So who gives a rats ass! :pointstosky:

Plus the Colts will win in the playoffs, when they have there entire team healthy and ready to go.

Neither do you, but you seem to be making allegations that Shula and his team somehow cheated - obvious deflection since there's nothing whatever to support it. However your Pats DID CHEAT. They got CAUGHT cheating, and they were punished by the league for cheating.

So if they were already punished for it, then why should they be punished more....

So if they were already punished for it, then why should they be punished more....

WOW. Comprehension......CATCH IT!!!!!

Plus the Colts will win in the playoffs, when they have there entire team healthy and ready to go.

LOL.... Is Marvin going to make that big of a difference?? Doubt it...Especially since they will be playing outside of their little controlled environment were they are protected from the big bad weather and fake crowd noises. They will probly be playing in snow and freezing temps.... DOMES ARE A JOKE. As well as most indy fans

Guest _my_2_cents_

:pointstosky:

In other words, they're cheaters. and that cheating should be acknowledged if they go undefeated.

Handle it just like I wanted Pete Rose to be handled. Put him in the HOF, and on his plaque indicate exactly how he violated the rules and what caused his downfall as a message to future players/teams.

Do the same with the Patriots. Slap that nice fat asterisk next to the "record" since they got caught cheating.

LOL.... Is Marvin going to make that big of a difference?? Doubt it...Especially since they will be playing outside of their little controlled environment were they are protected from the big bad weather and fake crowd noises. They will probly be playing in snow and freezing temps.... DOMES ARE A JOKE.

Marvin??? No, not by himself.

WR Marvin Harrison

OL Tony Ugoh

WR Anthony Gonzalez

2. Your comma in your phrase ..."trying to say, but come on."...should be after the word but...not before.

3. Your last sentence creation was incomplete...ending with ..."hyphens, whatever."

Just wanted to point these out...so long as you are educating the peasants, Professor. :pointstosky:

pwnt <-- spellchecked

Oh really... The COLTS were cheating with fake crowd noise, totally exposed...

All you liberal tree huggers can run around with your organic sack of astericks sprinkling them around like the tooth fairy...

NO ONE CARES.

You are a dumb one! reprise "theme to Deliverance" :overhead:

The Pats will rest all of their starters and lose the last game of the season... So who gives a rats ass! :doublethumbsup:

Not likely. They may rest people who are dinged up, but they will have a bye in the playoffs anyway. The starters will play at least 3 quarters. I went to the last game of the season in 05, which was meaningless for the Pats and they played the starters until the beginning of the 4th quarter. Add to that the 'stick it to everyone' attitude of Belichick and the team and I don't they will roll over for week 17 even if they have home field locked up.

Shula is 77. The asterix comment was dumb. He probably got ambushed by some reporter looking for a quote to make a story with. With all due respect to his accomplishments, his opinion has no bearing on current NFL happenings. Baseball made a huge mistake with the '*' for Roger Maris and no sport is going to do it again unless there is some clear cut proven advantage that was gained by malicious subterfuge.

Everyone wants to take down the top dog and since it hasn't happened on the field, people look for other reasons. The Pats have a black-eye from the video stuff, but let's face it, it had negible (if any) impact to previous seasons and none to this season. Haters want to say it does, because its a way to validate their team, its accoplishments and themselves, which is a basic human need. Shula is human, he'll do/say anything he can to hold on to his legacy. Can't really blame him, but what he says doesn't matter.

Marvin??? No, not by himself.

WR Marvin Harrison

OL Tony Ugoh

WR Anthony Gonzalez

I'm sure you were pointing out the Pats starters that didn't play in the AFC championship last year, and how it would have been different had they played.

Fun Fact - in the history of the AFC Championship Game there have been 3 lineman that have scored a TD. They are Logan Mankins(NE), Jeff Saturday(INDY), and Dan Klecko(INDY).

Thus, Pats = cheaters. No amount of deflection will change that. Your random assertion that the Dolphins cheated is somewhat bizarre. and talk about "sour grapes" - you are seriously referring to the Patriots cheating as "gaining a competitive advantage"? Those two things are mutually exclusive. Cheating is cheating - deliberately violating league rules. "gaining a competitive advantage" is changing cleats at halftime to account for a sloppy field. You are 100% in denial and laughably so.

Perhaps instead of lashing out at people for observing, they Pats fans could turn their angst inwards to the source of the problem: your team is a bunch of cheaters. You should write them a letter, or stop going to games - send a message that you won't stand for it. That's what people suggested Giants fans do with Bonds a couple years back...and the Pats actually got caught!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is another tissue.

During one of the Packers' Super Bowl years in the '90s, they were beaten by Lindy Infante's awful, bottom-dwelling Colts team. The Pack sleepwalked at the outset, got some bad breaks, and then mounted a comeback that fell short. It happens.

People seem to think that the Pats' odds of going undefeated are high because they only face a couple of really good teams going forward. In reality, any team--including, yes, Miami--has a chance to beat NE. I rate the Pats' chances of going 16-0 at about 1%. I have no special hatred for NE, but I want them to get thrashed so the discussion will cease. It's all a rehash of the feverish speculation about the '05 Colts, and a preview of next year's discussion surrounding whatever team starts out 4-0.

Guest _my_2_cents_
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is another tissue.

Why would I need a tissue? I'm just talking about your team having cheated. :lol:

Bottom line: Colts have been cheating with crowd noise throughout their success and SB run.

I'd laugh at an idiot who expected an asterick based on that.

their cheating directly impacted the outcome of games, and the ability for the opponent to compete on an equal playing field.

Cameragate is no different, only the fact that the correlation between the act, and the 'impact' on the field is FAR less concrete than the cheating the Colts performed DURING the game.

This was clearly a witchhunt against the Pats, as the Colts will likely receive nowhere near the penalty that the pats did.

Thats the pain of being the creme de la creme of the league. Everyone has a target on your head.

This astericks nonsense is beyond a reach. Pats were already unfairly ripped off by the league.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Bottom line: Colts have been cheating with crowd noise throughout their success and SB run.

I'd laugh at an idiot who expected an asterick based on that.

their cheating directly impacted the outcome of games, and the ability for the opponent to compete on an equal playing field.

Cameragate is no different, only the fact that the correlation between the act, and the 'impact' on the field is FAR less concrete than the cheating the Colts performed DURING the game.

This was clearly a witchhunt against the Pats, as the Colts will likely receive nowhere near the penalty that the pats did.

Thats the pain of being the creme de la creme of the league. Everyone has a target on your head.

Can you prove any of that?

No.

Then STFU until you can because you sound like a complete moron. HTH

And why would the Colts receive any penalty when the league already deemed them clear of the BOGUS accusation - who accused them? The Kraft family....naturally. :mad:

This astericks nonsense is beyond a reach. Pats were already unfairly ripped off by the league.

Uh, no - the Pats were caught, red handed, with evidence by way of a video camera, for paying someone to stand on the field and film their opponents signals.

They CHEATED!!!

As for the asterisk, at lunch on Sporting News Radio, they were interviewing Marshall Faulk and they asked him about Shula's comments, and Faulk responded that he agreed. So in essence, Faulk thinks you're a tool too. HTH

Can you prove any of that?

No.

Then STFU until you can because you sound like a complete moron. HTH

And why would the Colts receive any penalty when the league already deemed them clear of the BOGUS accusation - who accused them? The Kraft family....naturally. :mad:

Uh, no - the Pats were caught, red handed, with evidence by way of a video camera, for paying someone to stand on the field and film their opponents signals.

They CHEATED!!!

As for the asterisk, at lunch on Sporting News Radio, they were interviewing Marshall Faulk and they asked him about Shula's comments, and Faulk responded that he agreed. So in essence, Faulk thinks you're a tool too. HTH

Agreed on WHAT? This is like the united nations declaring the turkish genocide 60+ years after the fact, or congress making a non binding resolution to end the Iraq war. Its just useless media posturing. It changes nothing, it impacts nothing.

You can go back to your tin foil hat and your area 51 conspiricies now.

Oh, and while I respect marshall because i liked the way he played and handled himself, he is very far removed from being any authority on the matter, nor do i really think he understands what he is implying with a statement like that

Its a real slippery slope, people like M2C don't get that.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Agreed on WHAT? This is like the united nations declaring the turkish genocide 60+ years after the fact, or congress making a non binding resolution to end the Iraq war. Its just useless media posturing. It changes nothing, it impacts nothing.

You can go back to your tin foil hat and your area 51 conspiricies now.

Oh, and while I respect marshall because i liked the way he played and handled himself, he is very far removed from being any authority on the matter, nor do i really think he understands what he is implying with a statement like that

Its a real slippery slope, people like M2C don't get that.

Wow - you've either completely lost your mind, or you didn't have one to start with. One of the two. First you spout incohenant gobblygook about the Colts cheating and having cheated in their SB year (none of which is true or has ever been proven) and now you just spout nonsense about a side-comment I make about Marshall Faulk agreeing with Shula saying that something will need to be done since the pats were caught cheating.

And they were caught cheating. Unlike the Colts, contrary to your assertions.

This is where, as Snagglepuss would say, I will "exit, stage left".

denial is not just a river in egypt. By accepting the * ball, the HOF is supporting it. To not support it would be to decline the ball because it was marred. Bonds himself has stated that if they accept the ball, that he wants no part of the HOF - including his own induction. So accepting that ball is a pretty clear message that they support the branding of it. And it's a terrible decision by the HOF, but that's another subject.

hth

I agree and disagree,

The HOF has no jurisdiction over what happens to the ball prior to them receiving it. If presented with a choice of Marred Ball vs No ball, they'd obviously take the Marred piece of history.

The mexican standoff between the Bond induction and the HOF receipt of the ball definitely puts the HOF to the test.

Im not sure where i stand on the HOF making policy issues on players...ie. choosing NOT to accept the ball and have Bonds be inducted vs displaying the ball and all that comes with it. Definitely puts the HOF on ground they shouldn't be walking on.

My final question to m2c: Where is the line drawn for what actions necessitate an *? You have to admit the slipperyness of the slope created by establishing precedence by the pats, and the enormous ripple effect (this isn't college sports where stripping wins and championships can be somewhat isolated by various conferences etc...)

You are advocating a pandoras box that would take down the league.

Punishment has to fit the crime.

Wow - you've either completely lost your mind, or you didn't have one to start with. One of the two. First you spout incohenant gobblygook about the Colts cheating and having cheated in their SB year (none of which is true or has ever been proven) and now you just spout nonsense about a side-comment I make about Marshall Faulk agreeing with Shula saying that something will need to be done since the pats were caught cheating.

And they were caught cheating. Unlike the Colts, contrary to your assertions.

This is where, as Snagglepuss would say, I will "exit, stage left".

Colts cheated, proof is in the tape, and the same complainers that said the pats were spying in the past were saying the exact SAME things about the COlts messing with crowd noise.

If you are going to base your WHOLE argument on an extrapolation of evidence you DON"T have, from the apparent whining of other people saying its happened over a stretch of time and conclude based on whining (not facts) the impact. you take the same line with the Colts.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Just because I called the Pats cheaters and have continued to describe their blatant cheating, which they were caught for somehow compells you to attack me?

Fascinating.

Sorry...Patriots = Synonymous with cheating. If they go undefeated, give 'em an *

You are implying you should have your drivers license revoked and be sent to jail for 6-12 months for a speeding ticket.

You have no concept of cause/effect, or severity of crime.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Colts cheated, proof is in the tape, and the same complainers that said the pats were spying in the past were saying the exact SAME things about the COlts messing with crowd noise.

If you are going to base your WHOLE argument on an extrapolation of evidence you DON"T have, from the apparent whining of other people saying its happened over a stretch of time and conclude based on whining (not facts) the impact. you take the same line with the Colts.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

You are implying you should have your drivers license revoked and be sent to jail for 6-12 months for a speeding ticket.

You have no concept of cause/effect, or severity of crime.

Uh, there's no proof. What you heard was feedback, not a "CD skipping" as reported by the oh-so-paranoid membr of the Kraft family in their luxury box. No one in the stadium heard the "skipping" except those in luxury boxes with the game on TV. Then when said Kraft peon went to league security it was a matter of about 12 hours before they came back absolving the Colts of any suspected wrongdoing.

In short, with the Pats there was a crime. With the Colts, there was no crime. You are asserting that the Colts cheated, when they did not. Moreover, the league has come out in defense of the Colts, stating quite clearly and without a lot of big words that they did not cheat as accussed.

Yet you maintain they cheated. :thumbsup: fascinating.

From the BOSTON Globe:

Following up on the crowd noise issue in the RCA Dome, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello passes along the following:

"CBS has informed us that the unusual audio moment heard by fans during the Patriots-Colts telecast was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast. It was in no way related to any sound within the stadium and could not be heard in the stadium."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr..._checks_in.html

And I have no concept of cause & effect? I know that the Pats got caught cheating and were punished for it. And I know the Colts were absolved of the accusation and thus were not punished. What's to understand? Pretty simple really...

Your problem seems to be that you're so twisted that you have to cling to a premise that's already been entirely dismissed by thinking people everywhere. The Boston Globe even ran an article stating that the Colts were wrongly accussed. Yet you're in here repeating ad naseum that the Colts "cheated".

Are you mental? Serious question. :blink:

Moreover, the league has come out in defense of the Colts, stating quite clearly and without a lot of big words that they did not cheat as accussed.

The league also came out in defense of the Pats with regards to what was on confiscated tapes, which I am sure you have accepted and moved on.

Guest _my_2_cents_
The league also came out in defense of the Pats with regards to what was on confiscated tapes, which I am sure you have accepted and moved on.

uhm, no - they reviewed the tapes, and determined that the Patriots did indeed violate league rules, which then resulted in severe penalties - some of the harshest ever assessed against a team.

What the fock are you taking about? :ninja:

Why does the media keep trying to pump this story up? The lead story for Sportscenter just had Shula on and asked him "Why did you feel compelled to speak out?" Shula replied: "I am not speaking out, a reporter asked me a question and I truthfully answered, thats all". He went on to praise the high level of play of the Pats and downplay the whole champagne toast thing.

Then John Clayton kept saying how now Belichick prolly won't like Shula either because he decided to make a big deal about this and speak out. RIGHT AFTER SHULA JUST ANSWERED THE FIRST QUESTION.

I love how the media grabs something that means very little and blows it up. ESPN :doublethumbsup:

It's grammAr, by the way. I'm sorry that some of us intellectuals that still give a rip about proper sentence creation still exist, but your first post just hurt my head reading it. I knew what you were trying to say, but come on. Make getting your point across a little easier by using a few commas, periods, hyphens, whatever.

Just wanted to point these out...so long as you are educating the peasants, Professor. :doublethumbsup:

Ummm, not exactly Einstein Bagel!

1. "we intellectuals" implies ALL intellectuals whereas "some us us intellectuals" implies merely that, some. Furthermore, to use your suggested correction would result in a sentence of, "I'm sorry that some of we intellectuals..." and that is just wrong.

2. Since when did the comma come after the but and not before? "We won the battle, but lost the war" is correct. "We won the battle but, lost the war" is clearly wrong and so are you.

3. You seemed to have failed to grasp the difference between general proper grammar and generally allowed Internet, e-mail, message board creative license.

Just wanted to point these out..so long as you are educating the peasants, Professor Asshat.

(see: anyone can be a grammar pri-ck...and I should know!)

Guest _my_2_cents_
Ummm, not exactly Einstein Bagel!

1. "we intellectuals" implies ALL intellectuals whereas "some us us intellectuals" implies merely that, some. Furthermore, to use your suggested corrected would result in a sentence of, "I'm sorry that some of we intellectuals..." and that just wrong.

2. Since when did the comma come after the but and not before? "We won the battle, but lost the war" is correct. "We won the battle but, lost the war" is clearly wrong and so are you.

3. You seemed to have failed to grasp the difference between general proper grammar and generally allowed Internet, e-mail, message board creative license.

Just wanted to point these out..so long as you are educating the peasants, Professor Asshat.

(see: anyone can be a grammar ######...and I should know!)

not to take sides, but you won this one in a landslide. :thumbsup:

Glad to see my thread was commented on. This is a fun site despite the flame wars.

My main gripe with Shula was that if anyone doesn't think coaches were trying to get an edge years ago , they're being stupid.

It reeks of dishonesty to suddenly act outraged- if the Pats had a loss you can bet the ranch Shula wouldn't have said that.

So to me it looks like he's trying to keep a statistical fluke alive for purely selfish reasons.

The fact is the 72 Dolphin would have been beaten by about 6 to 8 Super Bowl champs.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Glad to see my thread was commented on. This is a fun site despite the flame wars.

Actually when it comes to the recent trend of flame wars erupting over whether or not the Pats cheated, whether it absolves them of wrongdoing if someone else does, and the never ending defensiveness of some of their fans, it's been quite entertaining. :sleep: