Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Why are NFL Quarterback helmets wired?

What other major sport can the players on the field have wired headsets as part of the uniform? And no, NASCAR is not a major sport. Doesn't this take away from some of the gamesmanship? Quarterbacks should have to lead their team on their own or use hand signals without the use of freakin' electronics implanted IN THE UNIFORM. You don't see MLB catchers with headsets to get pitch calls from the manager do you? What's next, the PG for a NBA team wearing an earpiece like the damn secret service so he can get direction from the coach? That would be dumb and take away from the "game" of it all.

Call me old school, but I want the athletes to play the game using game preparation, athleticism, and thinking on their feet in pressure situations. Not some dumbass QB putting his hands over his earholes like he is listening to his iPod to get play calls via an electronic device. :thumbsup:

What other major sport can the players on the field have wired headsets as part of the uniform? And no, NASCAR is not a major sport. Doesn't this take away from some of the gamesmanship? Quarterbacks should have to lead their team on their own or use hand signals without the use of freakin' electronics implanted IN THE UNIFORM. You don't see MLB catchers with headsets to get pitch calls from the manager do you? What's next, the PG for a NBA team wearing an earpiece like the damn secret service so he can get direction from the coach? That would be dumb and take away from the "game" of it all.

Call me old school, but I want the athletes to play the game using game preparation, athleticism, and thinking on their feet in pressure situations. Not some dumbass QB putting his hands over his earholes like he is listening to his iPod to get play calls via an electronic device. :thumbsdown:

we landed on the moon as well

This was in corporated under pressure from the NAACP. There were toio many physically-gifted athletes who couldn't play quarterback because they couldn't remember the names of plays..

Without a headset, Vince Young would be a custodian.

we landed on the moon as well

Link to other threads that directly call for the banishment of wired headsets in helmets? TIA

If you are gonna use the "we landed on the moon" phrase, at least know how it is used and in what context. Otherwise you look like a moron. HTH

always wondered, is that yellow dot thing on the back of the helmet an antenna or something?

Yellow?!? I think it's time for a new TV, kpbuckeye. :thumbsdown:

always wondered, is that yellow dot thing on the back of the helmet an antenna or something?

Yeah, it is green. It tells the referee that the person wearing it is the one that is wired. They can only have one player who is wired on the field at any one time. New rule put in to prevent the "slash" QB's from playing WR and still getting the signals along with the QB at the same time.

Yeah, it is green. It tells the referee that the person wearing it is the one that is wired. They can only have one player who is wired on the field at any one time. New rule put in to prevent the "slash" QB's from playing WR and still getting the signals along with the QB at the same time.

Usually they make rules like that one implemented this year because someone has been taking advantage of something. I bet some teams in the past were having all three wired helments on the field at the same time. I say get rid on the whole damn thing.

Call me old school, but I want the athletes to play the game using game preparation, athleticism, and thinking on their feet in pressure situations. Not some dumbass QB putting his hands over his earholes like he is listening to his iPod to get play calls via an electronic device. :banana:

"You tell 'em, Steve-Dave!!" :thumbsdown:

Call me old school, but I want the athletes to play the game using game preparation, athleticism, and thinking on their feet in pressure situations. Not some dumbass QB putting his hands over his earholes like he is listening to his iPod to get play calls via an electronic device. :thumbsdown:

What other major sport does stop-and-go like the NFL? Baseball? Maybe they should incorporate wired headsets because the MLB is a snoozefest.

The NFL installed headsets to speed up play. I for one am totally for wiring up both the QB and 1 linebacker of each team.

Maybe they should implement tracking devices in the football so the WR's can wear a homing sensor to help the offense. We all want excitement and scoring right! :rolleyes:

Maybe they should make Safeties wear a green dot on the front of their draws so people will know that's not a good place to aim when shooting a gun.

Maybe they should make Safeties wear a green dot on the front of their draws so people will know that's not a good place to aim when shooting a gun.

That was uncalled for and tasteless <_<

With the whole signal stealing bidness in NE, there's going to be a very strong push to have a similar set-up for Defensive Captains. If nothing else, Belicheat's actions justify the use of the wireless comm. In fairness, if you're going to give that advantage to the QB, there's NO good GD reason not to level the playing field and offer that capability to the defense as well.

I guess I don't really mind either way... I just think that if the QB is allowed a radio then 1 linebacker should be allowed one too.

I really want to get this joke. Who is Steve-Dave? :thumbsup:

Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to say it. You really don't know? Wow! Have you seen any of the Kevin Smith movies (Jay and Silent Bob)?

Obviously, you're not the only one to not get the funnay, as nobody else commented. I'll shut up now. <_<

With the whole signal stealing bidness in NE, there's going to be a very strong push to have a similar set-up for Defensive Captains. If nothing else, Belicheat's actions justify the use of the wireless comm. In fairness, if you're going to give that advantage to the QB, there's NO good GD reason not to level the playing field and offer that capability to the defense as well.

Acreed.

This off-season, the competition committee voted against letting 1 defensive player have a radio. Stupid.

This off-season, the competition committee voted against letting 1 defensive player have a radio. Stupid.

Think about what you just said. Players having focking radios ON the field of competition. I think people are so used to the idea they really don't stop and think about how it takes away from the sporting nature of the game.

Think about what you just said. Players having focking radios ON the field of competition. I think people are so used to the idea they really don't stop and think about how it takes away from the sporting nature of the game.

I'm saying its stupid in the sense that its unfair since the offense gets to have a radio. I don't really care either way for radios, but i think either both offense and defense should have them or nobody gets them.

Call me old school, but I want the athletes to play the game using game preparation, athleticism, and thinking on their feet in pressure situations. Not some dumbass QB putting his hands over his earholes like he is listening to his iPod to get play calls via an electronic device. :headbanger:

Totally agree.

I read recently where some NFL owners are pushing for other players to get wired too. The main purpose there is to eliminate the effect of crowd noise.

Really, it's wrong and takes a lot of the sport out of it. they should just get rid of the wired helmets.

And they need to fix that grounding rule too.

One can argue the point both ways...I see the sense in it all. But I bet most fans were up in arms when "Slinging Sammy" Baugh revolutionized the sport with the passing offense. Many die-hard fans probably felt the same way. Things evolve and as long as all teams enjoy the same benefits, one can argue noone actually benefits. Still, I think the D should be afforded the same advantages, especially in no-huddle situations when getting the signal in on D is just as important as on O.

Slinging Sammy History

One can argue the point both ways...I see the sense in it all. But I bet most fans were up in arms when "Slinging Sammy" Baugh revolutionized the sport with the passing offense. Many die-hard fans probably felt the same way. Things evolve and as long as all teams enjoy the same benefits, one can argue noone actually benefits. Still, I think the D should be afforded the same advantages, especially in no-huddle situations when getting the signal in on D is just as important as on O.

Slinging Sammy History

There are always gonna be new technologies and advances that CAN help a sporting team. Hell, they have aluminum baseball bats, but the MLB sticks with wood. There are golf drivers that are 5 feet long that you can drive a ball 400 yards, but the PGA has a length restriction. In fact there could be a dozen or so "gadgets" that could be implemented into the NFL that would help in some way a team perform. You have to drawn the line of gamesmenship somewhere, and they dropped the ball by letting the QB have freakin' walkie talkie in his helmet in my opinion. It's been going on for so long, and people are just used to it, I fear we will never get rid of it now.

There are always gonna be new technologies and advances that CAN help a sporting team. Hell, they have aluminum baseball bats, but the MLB sticks with wood. There are golf drivers that are 5 feet long that you can drive a ball 400 yards, but the PGA has a length restriction. In fact there could be a dozen or so "gadgets" that could be implemented into the NFL that would help in some way a team perform. You have to drawn the line of gamesmenship somewhere, and they dropped the ball by letting the QB have freakin' walkie talkie in his helmet in my opinion. It's been going on for so long, and people are just used to it, I fear we will never get rid of it now.

Yea. I see your points. Good arguements imo. I'll look at the games this weekend a little differently. But how has a walkie-talkie really changed the game (devil's advocate question)? Just curious, but what was the arguement for instituting said walkie-talkie in the first place? Would one be against instant replay as well (another devilish advocate)?

Hell, they have aluminum baseball bats, but the MLB sticks with wood.

MLB doesn't need to resort to aluminum bats. When the league needs batters to hit it farther, they just wind the balls tighter. :thumbsup: