Sign in to follow this  
nosferatu9368

What is Right?

I am the Commish of my league and have been for 8 of the 11 years we have been playing, with that said here is our scoring system

Offense scoring

4 pts for passing TD

1 pt for every 75 YDS passing

6 pts for rushing TD

1 pt for every 25 YDS rushing

6 pts for receiving TD

1 pt for every 25 YDS receiving

2 pts for all TDS 40 YDS or more

2 pts for all 2 pt conversions

3 pts for field goals of 17-39 YDS

4 pts for field goals of 40-49 YDS

5 pts for field goals of 50 YDS or more

Defense Scoring

2 pts for every interception

2 pts for every fumble recovery

1 pt for every sack

2 pts for a safety

6 points for every TD by your Defense

2 pts for all TDS 40 YDS or more

10 pts if your defense lets up 0 pts

7 pts if your defense lets up 2-6 pts

5 pts if your defense lets up 7-11 pts

3 pts if your defense lets up 12-16 pts

That is exactly how it is written, every person playing got a copy of the scoring and agreed to the rules, nowhere in those rules for scoring does it say a player gets 6 pts for an offensive fumble recovery for a td.

Now comes the problem. I lost to the owner of Kevin Curtis 74 - 70, and I did at first give him the credit for the score, but after looking at our league scoring page, I realize this should not count, now I want to be honest here, if this happened to anyone else I would feel the same way and I would get some owner(s) angry at me but I would change the score, because in my opinion getting the score right is the most importnant thing.

Now I have to admit this sure looks like i'm bein' an a-hole about this because its me on the short end, I have sent the other owners in my league an e-mail explaining my thoughts. I care so much about this league that i'm willing to accept the loss just not to piss off others in the league, but I really believe i'm right about this one....

What do all of you think about this?

Thank you

Peace...

did curtis score a td?

if yes give the owner 6 pts. just because its not specifically in the rules, neither is a lateral that scores, but whoever scores it gets 6 pts

Not a valid point, on a lateral the runner still has to run the ball in making it a rushing TD.

Latest News

CBSSports.com TSX STATS LLC

Eagles WR Kevin Curtis caught six passes for a team-high 78 yards with a touchdown catch at New Orleans in Week 16. Curtis also recovered a Donovan McNabb fumble in the end zone on a wild play in the first quarter, but was ruled an offensive fumble recovery, not a rushing or receiving touchdown. Curtis went over 1,000 yards receiving, giving him 1,048 yards, the most in his career.

(Updated 12/23/2007).

Injury Report

No information available at this time (Updated 12/25/07).

Fantasy Analysis

Fantasy owners will get credit for Curtis' second touchdown, but not the first one that came on a fumble. The Eagles are expected to start Curtis and use him all game long vs. Buffalo in Week 17. Figure him to be a reliable No. 2 Fantasy WR.

(Updated 12/23/2007).

If you want to exploit the inconsistency in how it is scored by the stats service, be a dickweed and do that.

If Curtis recovers the fumble on the 1 and runs it in, he gets a 1-yard rushing touchdown. A fair-minded man who isn't a sore loser would look at it as a 0-yard rushing touchdown.

Any league that doesn't prioritize individuals getting credit for TDs in any capacity - sucks.

If you want to exploit the inconsistency in how it is scored by the stats service, be a dickweed and do that.

If Curtis recovers the fumble on the 1 and runs it in, he gets a 1-yard rushing touchdown. A fair-minded man who isn't a sore loser would look at it as a 0-yard rushing touchdown.

Any league that doesn't prioritize individuals getting credit for TDs in any capacity - sucks.

Lets see, first off you're an idiot. If you read my entire post you would have read i'm absolutely willing to take the loss rather than upset anyone or to be called unfair or a sore loser. The point is to get the score correct!

I dont believe there is such a thing as a 0 yard rushing TD, it would have to be a Fumble recovery for a TD... Did they say hey Curtis rushed it into the end zone for a zero yard td run or did they say Curtis recovered a fumble in the end zone, there is a difference. If an offensive lineman had recovered the ball would he have been given credit for a rushing td or a fumble recovery for a td?

Now I understand the fact that we as a league did not discuss what would happen in the event an offensive player recovers a fumble in the end zone for a td but that does not excuse the fact thats its not in the rules, after this game and what has happened obviously next year there needs to be a rule in place for such a thing but as of now there isnt, I dont believe in changing or adding rules as we go along, just because people like you think its a given.

I have Curtis and did not receive the 6 points, nor did it affect my game this week. The NFL is the official stat keeper and they are saying that its neither a rushing nor receiving TD so thats what is official. i personally disagree, but since it is the official stat by the NFL. then thats what you go with. I will be making that suggestion in the off season to modify our rules to count that scenario as a TD as long as possession had not changed. Its no different than the official wording for a blocked FG. If it crosses the line of scrimmage, its not considered blocked even tho it was blocked. Some NFL rulings just make no sense.

So Curtis did not earn any points via the scoring system you have in place. Congrats on your win.

Several years ago, Troy Brown fumbled a punt, losing me points and costing me a playoff game. My biggest frustration, at the time, was that the system credited fumbles to the WR, but if that player scored on special teams, it only counted toward the defense/special teams. It sucked badly.

The fact is, though, that before the season started, we had agreed to use what the system allowed, and MFL did not, at that time, account for crediting individual returners with TDs, but only with turnovers. I lost the game because we had agreed beforehand that we were going to live with the system.

If you decided on what you were using for your authority in scoring, stick with it. Period. Anything else will lead to harder feelings.

Its a fumble recovery for a TD... NOT a passing, rushing or receiving TD. Your rules are a little weak... but, by the letter of them... he gets no points and you win.

It's just that more awkward because you are the commish.

I see your rules don't explicitly mention punt of KO returns for TD either. How are they ruled?

I have Curtis and did not receive the 6 points, nor did it affect my game this week. The NFL is the official stat keeper and they are saying that its neither a rushing nor receiving TD so thats what is official. i personally disagree, but since it is the official stat by the NFL. then thats what you go with. I will be making that suggestion in the off season to modify our rules to count that scenario as a TD as long as possession had not changed. Its no different than the official wording for a blocked FG. If it crosses the line of scrimmage, its not considered blocked even tho it was blocked. Some NFL rulings just make no sense.

So Curtis did not earn any points via the scoring system you have in place. Congrats on your win.

So why make a distinction about change of possession?

i understand that this is offically not a receiving/rushing TD. i see both sides of argument. but, if there is a TD scored in FF and theres no points awarded to anyone, something is wrong. it should be a GIVEN that when an offensive player recovers a fumble with no possession change for a TD, that said player gets the points.

this is a great opportunity to bring up this kind of a "glitch in the system" to commishes round the world. so they can make sure this is part of the scoring rules.

Its a fumble recovery for a TD... NOT a passing, rushing or receiving TD. Your rules are a little weak... but, by the letter of them... he gets no points and you win.

It's just that more awkward because you are the commish.

I see your rules don't explicitly mention punt of KO returns for TD either. How are they ruled?

If the player scoring a TD on a punt or kick return is one of the players you drafted you get points. We do not combine defense and special teams, for no other reason really than the defenses already score alot of points in our scoring system adding more to it would make people start drafting a DST in the first couple rounds. Not saying its the right way but its our way.

i understand that this is offically not a receiving/rushing TD. i see both sides of argument. but, if there is a TD scored in FF and theres no points awarded to anyone, something is wrong. it should be a GIVEN that when an offensive player recovers a fumble with no possession change for a TD, that said player gets the points.

this is a great opportunity to bring up this kind of a "glitch in the system" to commishes round the world. so they can make sure this is part of the scoring rules.

Again, why is the change of possession so important? There was a play a few years back where the ball was intercepted and then fumbled. This resulted in an "offensive" player scoring a TD.. If a TD is a TD is a TD then ???

A touchdown was scored. The NFL is correct, it is not an offensive or defensive TD but the individual player gets the 6 points regardless. You say that a punt or kickoff return is scored by the player, not the team? This is no different. You get 2nd he gets first. Do the right thing regardless of what's in your rules.

A touchdown was scored. The NFL is correct, it is not an offensive or defensive TD but the individual player gets the 6 points regardless. You say that a punt or kickoff return is scored by the player, not the team? This is no different. You get 2nd he gets first. Do the right thing regardless of what's in your rules.

This is the clincher for me. Your rules that you posted do not specifally state: punt return TD = 6pts, or kick-off return TD = 6pts. Yet, you have acknowledged that you score the guy getting the TD with 6 pts. Therefore, I believe you should treat Curtis's TD the same way. It's not listed in your scoring, but there is no denying he scored a TD. (Just like your return TDs, you give Curtis credit for the score, even though it is not specifically listed in your scoring). NFL scoring, and Fantasy scoring are often done differently, that is why you should use the precident that you follow with kick returns. IMHO.

This is the clincher for me. Your rules that you posted do not specifally state: punt return TD = 6pts, or kick-off return TD = 6pts. Yet, you have acknowledged that you score the guy getting the TD with 6 pts. Therefore, I believe you should treat Curtis's TD the same way. It's not listed in your scoring, but there is no denying he scored a TD. (Just like your return TDs, you give Curtis credit for the score, even though it is not specifically listed in your scoring). NFL scoring, and Fantasy scoring are often done differently, that is why you should use the precident that you follow with kick returns. IMHO.

That's why I asked the question - it sets the precedent. I had a hunch they've had to deal with punt/KO TDs before but there is nothing explicit in the rules.

So... update us... who got the win?

As Commish, I added this rule years ago (don't think it could be more clear):

A TD is a TD is a TD. The player gets the points. If it is a D or ST (at the start of the play) the D/ST also gets the points.

Give Curtis the TD. He scored it. And, your league will respect you forever for making the right ruling as a Commish. I would much rather have the respect of my league as Commish, than the SB. I get enough of those as it is. I neither need or want one involving controversy.

I agree with the TD is a TD post. Issues happen every year that are not in the rules which a commish has to rule on. It sucks you lost that way, but it is fair.

Again, why is the change of possession so important? There was a play a few years back where the ball was intercepted and then fumbled. This resulted in an "offensive" player scoring a TD.. If a TD is a TD is a TD then ???

No, once the defense made the interception then the offense became the defense. If at the end of the play there was a penalty on say the runningback for grabbing the face mask of the ball carrier the official would state it was a penalty against the defense. Change of possesion means everything. He who has posession is on offense at that point. In this case the ball did not change posession so obviously there is a problem. There is a hole in the scoring system. Let's face facts we are all human and we can't take every possible scenario into consideration. I think you need an impartial ruling by several league members to decide this. I noticed that my league rules do not cover this situation either and I will be bringing this up next year. In my opinion I think we give curtis the TD (starting next year).

(don't think it could be more clear):

A TD is a TD is a TD. The player gets the points.

Give Curtis the TD.

Bingo