Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

FFT Homer Mock Draft Commentary...

I thought NE wpould grab one of those two CBs...who the fock knows though. They could take a TE again for all we know. :thumbsdown:

Kutulu,

Email me with who gets taken if it gets to me today during work hours and I will make the selection.

oneals_home@yahoo.com

I thought NE wpould grab one of those two CBs...who the fock knows though. They could take a TE again for all we know. :dunno:

Kind of a interesting nugget when it come to what the PATS might do early:

The Patriots have arranged predraft visits with cornerbacks Brandon Flowers, Charles Godfrey, and Terrell Thomas at Gillette Stadium, according to representatives for the players. All three are projected as early-round selections, although the first round - especially at the Patriots' No. 7 pick - is considered a bit rich to select them. -- Boston Globe

Kind of a interesting nugget when it come to what the PATS might do early:

That has been their style every season. They are prepared to move up or down in the draft depending upon who is on the board. If guys slip or they can make some moves, they will. They are typically active during the draft, particularly in drafts that they believe the talent is deep.

I hope that they have the ability to do so again this season, but I am not sure whether people are going to want to trade with them come draft day. We'll see.

OK I took Ryan, the only other player the Ravens would want here woudl be Ellis, and I suspect they might very well take Ellis over Ryan....with the hopes of perhaps grabbing Brohm or Flacco by some other means.

With Ellis gone, and Ryan staring them in the face they make this pick pretty fast.

I like the Cincy Rivers pick. He is right on in saying if Ellis falls that would be the better pick. But Keith Rivers is easily the best LB and he has a lot of talent.

OK I took Ryan, the only other player the Ravens would want here woudl be Ellis, and I suspect they might very well take Ellis over Ryan....with the hopes of perhaps grabbing Brohm or Flacco by some other means.

With Ellis gone, and Ryan staring them in the face they make this pick pretty fast.

Which is more than we can say for you. ;)

Which is more than we can say for you. ;)

;) :wave:

That has been their style every season. They are prepared to move up or down in the draft depending upon who is on the board. If guys slip or they can make some moves, they will. They are typically active during the draft, particularly in drafts that they believe the talent is deep.

I know...for all my PATS bashing I am a closet fan. :wave: Started following them when Tuna took over, Drew Bledsomuch was my first every fantasy pick ;) I've lived in MASS for about 10 years now, my fantasy team last year in MOZ's league was full of NE players, I even work part time at a store at Patriots Place.

Would even have rooted for them in the Superbowl if they had played anyone but my Giants. ;)

I know...for all my PATS bashing I am a closet fan. ;) Started following them when Tuna took over, Drew Bledsomuch was my first every fantasy pick ;) I've lived in MASS for about 10 years now, my fantasy team last year in MOZ's league was full of NE players, I even work part time at a store at Patriots Place.

Would even have rooted for them in the Superbowl if they had played anyone but my Giants. :first:

I draft Bledsoe too....but then my first ever pick was Barry Sanders :wave:

I draft Bledsoe too....but then my first ever pick was Barry Sanders :wave:

Took Drew 4th overall my rookie year..the year he focked up his shoulder. My back up was Scott Mitchell...the one year he went lights out...with Herman Moore...who I also had on my squad. ;)

this has been pretty impressive really. all of these picks seem very reasonable and thought out. usually, in years past, there has been one off the wall pick in the top 10 that has really rippled through and caused a very unlikely draft. i know that as much as we try we will never get it 100%, or even close really. but if someone way reaches for a guy they love, it really hurts the draft. good job to all who have drafted so far ;)

this has been pretty impressive really. all of these picks seem very reasonable and thought out. usually, in years past, there has been one off the wall pick in the top 10 that has really rippled through and caused a very unlikely draft. i know that as much as we try we will never get it 100%, or even close really. but if someone way reaches for a guy they love, it really hurts the draft. good job to all who have drafted so far :wall:

Who ARE you?? :dunno:

Again you say "smaller" as if it automatically means quicker too. Why? Cromartie may be the most agile CB in this draft yet he is 6'2.

If you read my posts I said, "Generally, smaller is quicker..." Of course there are big guys that are quick. But, generally smaller means quicker. You are an idiot.

My original point was that some teams favor small CB's and some favor taller CB's. Some teams favor smaller faster LB's (Denver) some favor big, hulking LB's (see any of the Tuna's Defenses). Some team prefer smaller, quicker D-linemen (Chicago) and some teams favor bigger, stronger D-linemen (Jacksonville). There are always exceptions, but generally teams prefer certain types of players for their teams.

Do you understand that?

I agree, with the Cincy pick. I don't see them having a chance at Ellis, but I think they would take him if he is there. I can also see them taking one of the top 2 CB's at that spot.

If you read my posts I said, "Generally, smaller is quicker..." Of course there are big guys that are quick. But, generally smaller means quicker. You are an idiot.

My original point was that some teams favor small CB's and some favor taller CB's. Some teams favor smaller faster LB's (Denver) some favor big, hulking LB's (see any of the Tuna's Defenses). Some team prefer smaller, quicker D-linemen (Chicago) and some teams favor bigger, stronger D-linemen (Jacksonville). There are always exceptions, but generally teams prefer certain types of players for their teams.

Do you understand that?

yea its very rare that a taller cb also possess great quickness. thats the reason dcrom is rated so highly.

its why big wrs running a 4.5 is considered good. if a receiver is 5'9" and he runs like 4.5 hes not considered elite.

if your small, u better be quick.

yea its very rare that a taller cb also possess great quickness. thats the reason dcrom is rated so highly.

its why big wrs running a 4.5 is considered good. if a receiver is 5'9" and he runs like 4.5 hes not considered elite.

if your small, u better be quick.

I agree.

Rodgers-Cromartie might be the best CB in the draft, but then again McKelvin might be the best. Alll I was saying is that McKelvin seems to fit their mold better. No one knows who the *pats have ranked higher.

I agree.

Rodgers-Cromartie might be the best CB in the draft, but then again McKelvin might be the best. Alll I was saying is that McKelvin seems to fit their mold better. No one knows who the *pats have ranked higher.

im not sure the pats want to pay a cb all that money. wouldnt they have just tried to keep asante?

im not sure the pats want to pay a cb all that money. wouldnt they have just tried to keep asante?

Good point. They need help at LB too, so Rivers or Conner might be called at that spot. I really do think they will go CB if they stay put.

Do you understand that?

Yea I understand that. Do you understand that you said this.?

I have always thought of *pats corners as being the shorter quicker type of corners. I think that is the type of corner that fits their system best. At 6' 2'', Rodgers-Cromartie doesn't fit that mold. But, he is a great athlete and he will make a good Cornerback.

What mold? That he isn't short? Why would anyone just want shorter CBs?

Fact is you said the Pats like quicker CBs, well he is that. Oringinally you said Cromartie is a good CB but doesn't "fit the mold" what mold? WHat part of his game doesn't fit....please tell me?

And anyway.......the Pats play a lot of zone, speed isn't the #1 aspect you need in a CB to play zone coverage. So it doesn't matter anyway. This mold you speak of is exactly what Cromartie is. But the Pats don't gear to this 'mold" anyway, so you are wrong either way.

Good point. They need help at LB too, so Rivers or Conner might be called at that spot. I really do think they will go CB if they stay put.

Conner won't be called at that spot. perhaps if they trade way down. But Conner at #7 is a big reach.

Exactly correct, which is why a draft with no trades is difficult. Given the players on the board and the rules of the draft (no trades), what exactly would you do there? Are you taking a 2nd tier LB or a 2nd tier OL. I think that they go with a first tier CB who fits a need.

Rivers is probably not a 3-4 player and certainly not a top 7 pick.

Connor? Do you mean Connor from Penn St.? If so, they view him the same as Posluszny last year who was not high on their list. Different system. I would bet that they have him as a 2nd round grade.

Yea I understand that. Do you understand that you said this.?

What mold? That he isn't short? Why would anyone just want shorter CBs?

Fact is you said the Pats like quicker CBs, well he is that. Oringinally you said Cromartie is a good CB but doesn't "fit the mold" what mold? WHat part of his game doesn't fit....please tell me?

And anyway.......the Pats play a lot of zone, speed isn't the #1 aspect you need in a CB to play zone coverage. So it doesn't matter anyway. This mold you speak of is exactly what Cromartie is. But the Pats don't gear to this 'mold" anyway, so you are wrong either way.

I don't think you and I are going to agree, but here goes.

The reason teams like smaller players at some positions is because GENERALLY, they are quicker. I will give you ANOTHER example: The MOLD of a WR in a Mike Martz type of offense is a smaller, quicker WR, the same can be said for the Colts offense- they like smaller, quicker WR's because they are GENERALLY quicker than bigger WR's. That is their MOLD for that position. Those teams know that bigger WR's are not quick enough to get seperation they need in those systems.

I'll give you an example of why a 6'2'' CB doesn't fit the cover 2 zone type of mold. I watch all of the Charger games and A. Cromartie (also 6'2'' tall and an excellent athlete) does not excel in a cover 2 zone coverage. He is not quick enough. None of his interceptions came from stepping in front of a WR on a curl route like you see A. Samuel or R. Barber do in their zone coverages. A. Cromartie is built for man to man coverage- he struggles in zone coverage. I know, I watch all of his games.

Why do you think the best zone CB's in the league are shorter? Because the MOLD of good zone CB is a shorter, quicker player. In the history of the NFL how many great zone CB's have been taller than 6'?

Now if you are saying that Rodgers-Cromartie in the one player that can break that mold. I would say that is a big bet to place with the number 7 pick, especially when he is NOT the consensus #1 CB and he doesn't fit the MOLD of player for your system.

OK, I was driving home last night listening to AM radio, talking about the Chiefs draft pprospects. Waldman, that wasnt you was it? :banana:

Anyways, this clown was going on and on about how the Chiefs cannot take a LT in this draft, and Herm going to watch Brohm and the D-Line coach going to evaluate Dorsey was all just posturing. He said with the Chiefs using 2 of their first 3 picks on DTs last year, they have to expect those guys are going to eventually get better, and we got good mileage out of Alphonso Boone last year. So he thought there is no ay the Chiefs take a DT in this draft.

He said we'd likeand get Otah or Clady or Baker and pickup an extra pick or two, but if that doesnt become an option then they just take an OT here at No. 5.

I just don't like that mentality, Tank and Tyler didn't show anything last year that would make you believe either of those guys are going to be pro-bowl DTs. You can't miss here, and I just don't like reaching for a player with this pick.

He did say yesterday that Rudy Niswanger is going to be given the opportunity to start at Center, and you have Waters at LG and McIntosh will move to RT. So the OL positions of need for the Chiefs are LT and RG.

We still need a WR to play opposite Bowe, it would be hella-sweet if we could land Jordy Nelson with our 3rd. I'd be ecstatic if we got a guy liek Ellis Rd 1, Collins or Baker in Rd 2, and then Nelson in Rd 3. That still leaves us slim at corner, but the Chiefs aren't going to be able to fill every need they have in this year's draft.

On D, we need D-Line help. Probably depth at DE with Wilkerson gone, and then some production at DT. Either a new body or some of the existing to step up, but there really is only room for one more with Boone, Tank and Tyler already on the roster.

LBs are set with DJ, Harris, Edwards and the FA signing of Demarrio Williams.

Corners are slim, we really need 2 new starters from a year ago. And then safety is still a question mark. Oh and we need a PK.

Hey, at least we are set at punter :banana:

The three guys that I really wanted for New Orleans all went before I picked.

I was really hoping that either Cromartie, Ellis or Dorsey would fall to 10. But based on need, I really wasn't upset with picking Leodis McKelvin.

Cromartie obviously has the huge upside, but McKelvin really isn't far behind. With that said, McKelvin is probably more NFL ready that Cromartie, which will really help New Orleans' horrible secondary - which needs help right away. That would have been the downside of taking Cromartie, him possibly not being able to start on Day 1, but I feel that the potential far exceeds the risk. But even so, I expect there to be a good batch of quality NFL starting CBs in this years draft.

New Orleans is also in serious need of a playmaking DT. The locals are all hoping for us to be able to trade up and grab Dorsey or Ellis - but I feel the price will be too high. Our defense has a few too many holes to even consider wasting draft picks by trading up in the draft. I feel like CB is just as high of a priority as DT, possibly even more, so it wouldn't make sense to move up for Dorsey/Ellis - when a stud CB will be there @ 10.

I was just thinking the other day how I could really see Ryan going to the Ravens.

I like the mock pick that was made for them, but in real life I'd really like to see the Jets take him if he falls. The Chiefs also would be silly to pass on him and maintain with Croyle.

I was just thinking the other day how I could really see Ryan going to the Ravens.

I like the mock pick that was made for them, but in real life I'd really like to see the Jets take him if he falls. The Chiefs also would be silly to pass on him and maintain with Croyle.

Ryan would suck just as much as Croyle if we don't attempt to address the O-Line.

I don't think you and I are going to agree, but here goes.

The reason teams like smaller players at some positions is because GENERALLY, they are quicker. I will give you ANOTHER example: The MOLD of a WR in a Mike Martz type of offense is a smaller, quicker WR, the same can be said for the Colts offense- they like smaller, quicker WR's because they are GENERALLY quicker than bigger WR's. That is their MOLD for that position. Those teams know that bigger WR's are not quick enough to get seperation they need in those systems.

I'll give you an example of why a 6'2'' CB doesn't fit the cover 2 zone type of mold. I watch all of the Charger games and A. Cromartie (also 6'2'' tall and an excellent athlete) does not excel in a cover 2 zone coverage. He is not quick enough. None of his interceptions came from stepping in front of a WR on a curl route like you see A. Samuel or R. Barber do in their zone coverages. A. Cromartie is built for man to man coverage- he struggles in zone coverage. I know, I watch all of his games.

Why do you think the best zone CB's in the league are shorter? Because the MOLD of good zone CB is a shorter, quicker player. In the history of the NFL how many great zone CB's have been taller than 6'?

Now if you are saying that Rodgers-Cromartie in the one player that can break that mold. I would say that is a big bet to place with the number 7 pick, especially when he is NOT the consensus #1 CB and he doesn't fit the MOLD of player for your system.

I'm done arguing its been fun.

All I know Is Cromartie is about the most agile CB in this years draft. he ran a 4.33. If he isn't quick enough ok. If for some reason he needs to be both quick AND short then I guess he isn't the guy either.

The Bills pick was a flip between Sweed and M. Kelly. They need a big WR that can help out Edwards. They have a 5'11 burner in Evans, a Washed up 5'11 WR in Price, and Roscoe Parrish is the ultimate slot WR.

Neither Kelly of Sweed are really worth this high of a selection, but not far off, maybe the 15-18 range. They may trade down. But maybe not, with Donte Witner 2 years ago they stayed at #8 and picked him, when he was projected to go in the 20s.

Other options: Bills could pick one of the CBs, if they really like one and he happens to be there.

The Lions are salavating as thier pick nears. Matt Millen is nervous as a reciever is off the board.

I personally dont like the Bills pick here.

As you said, it seems a battle of M.Kelly and Sweed for 1st round WR that are in the taller model. I personally have Kelly ranked pretty far ahead of Sweed. I have seen them both play a majority of their games, as im a Big 12 nut, and Kelly seems far more gifted and NFL ready. Sweed is part of the hype machine, and doesn't seem very fast in and out of his routes at all.

I will also say that if this was the real draft, I think they look to another position. A guy has fallen (won't mention who, but obvious) that I feel could really help Buff at another position. I am surprised he went this far down, and think he would have been their choice, as this is a relatively deep class at WR. Lots of 2nd round talent worth 'waiting' on IMO.

The Lions are salavating as thier pick nears. Matt Millen is nervous as a reciever is off the board.

is there a WR they want? :lol:

I will also say that if this was the real draft, I think they look to another position. A guy has fallen (won't mention who, but obvious) that I feel could really help Buff at another position. I am surprised he went this far down, and think he would have been their choice, as this is a relatively deep class at WR. Lots of 2nd round talent worth 'waiting' on IMO.

I'm not sure who you think has fell, that the Bills would take? Its ok to name the guy, this isn't a fantasy draft. Everyone knows who is left anyway.

I think you may think Ryan Clady? If you do I'm not sure why they would pick him?

Jason Peters is a Pro Bowl LT. I guess he could go on teh right side, but picking a RT this early isn't a good idea. Plus they have thrown a lot of money at Langston Walker, he is servicable.

Other than Clady I'm not sure who else sorta fell? :doublethumbsup:

I think just like I said earlier, they will go WR unless they like one of the CBs a lot and he is still there. They NEED a taller WR, there are some good ones later in the draft but not many tall ones. James Hardy and who? They may trade down 5 or 10 spots and take Sweed or Kelly there. I hear you about Kelly being better. He may be, I think its a coin flip. Sweed was the consenses #1 WR, he sort of fell with speed concern. But he posted a 4.5 which is fast enough for a 6'4 WR.

I don't think the Bills go WR in the first round. I really think they plan on winning with a strong run game and good defence, so I see their first rounder being on D, probably a LB. I think they look at WR in the later rounds, but I don't think there's enough separation between Kelly or Sweed and the guys they can get later in the draft to use a first round pick.

I don't think the Bills go WR in the first round. I really think they plan on winning with a strong run game and good defence, so I see their first rounder being on D, probably a LB. I think they look at WR in the later rounds, but I don't think there's enough separation between Kelly or Sweed and the guys they can get later in the draft to use a first round pick.

If Rivers is there I agree with you on LB. He wasn't in this draft. So no LB picked.

They have a strong O-line (or they did last year, really improved from teh previous year) they added Stroud to a line that has Schobel who is very good, McCargo who was a 1st rounder and started playing well late, and Kelsay who is a decent DE.

I'm not sure who they would pick in that situation?

Everyone is throwing out positions but who would they draft?

Buffalo has no TE game to think of, and just a bunch of 5'10 WRs racing down field. In the weather that is Western NY a big possesion WR is a must right now.

It does all come down to who they like. If they don't like Kelly or Sweed enough to pick at 11 they will trade down or go BPA.

I don't see a WR going in the first 20 picks. Just IMO. Sweed going that early would be a little shocking, but hey who knows! Stranger things have happened Would be nice to see this draft move a little.

I don't see a WR going in the first 20 picks. Just IMO. Sweed going that early would be a little shocking, but hey who knows! Stranger things have happened Would be nice to see this draft move a little.

:clap:

We have to pick up the pace here. Otherwise, the real draft will happen before we get through round 1.