Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Detroit Tigers

DUMB!

That is some potent lineup

People keep trying to hit the panic button when there is no real reason for it. We looked like sh!t yesterday but oh well. Even great lineups have bad days and a bad series here and there. No one thought they were going to win each game.

People keep trying to hit the panic button when there is no real reason for it. We looked like sh!t yesterday but oh well. Even great lineups have bad days and a bad series here and there. No one thought they were going to win each game.

No I'm sorry great lineups don't score 2 runs in 3 games vs. on of the worst teams in baseball

No I'm sorry great lineups don't score 2 runs in 3 games vs. on of the worst teams in baseball

Yep they do. Its easy to forget that even great teams have an off series here and there. Its 162 games. Come b!tch when they lose 20 games in a row. The I will be P!ssed. But its only a matter of time before we rattle off 20 wins in a row and people will forget that we even started the season off bad at all. Placido needs to get right though.

you're blaming the tigers for something they can't control, which is the quality product kansas city is trotting out there everyday :)

you're blaming the tigers for something they can't control, which is the quality product kansas city is trotting out there everyday :D

:)

I thought only Red Sox fans panic this quick. As a non-Tiger fan I can assure you that the Tigers have nothing to worry about as far as their offense is concerned. Their bullpen may be another story.

Yep they do. Its easy to forget that even great teams have an off series here and there. Its 162 games.

No they don't I'll repeat Great teams DO NOT only score 3 runs in 3 games vs one of the worst teams in the league.

No they don't I'll repeat Great teams DO NOT only score 3 runs in 3 games vs one of the worst teams in the league.

do the tigers even play the giants or marlins this year? :)

own and start carlos guillen, miguel cabrera and magglio ordonez

well...at least the hitting can't get any worse

own and start carlos guillen, miguel cabrera and magglio ordonez

well...at least the hitting can't get any worse

I have E-rent and Sheff on my fantasy team. :doublethumbsup:

i'm not as concerned about the play as much as i am the injuries right now.

sheff's out now for god knows how long.

my take on this year after hearing all the hype. Pitching will be as expected with the bullpen maybe even exceeding expectations. as far as the lineup goes, a couple guys (Polanco, Granderson and Ordonez) had career years last year and cant expect to repeat them...it already looks like Polanco has a big head over his '07 performance. Sheffield is gonna have a post-steriod injury plagued year (like last year), Guillen is due for a down year and Renteria for Guillen at SS is a wash. Cabrera should be fine if he doesnt spend all his new contract $ at Krispy Kreem. The LF platoon is nothing special and Pudge's numbers have declined every year since he got to Detroit.

Woe and 3: Bats stay quiet, but Leyland speaks up after Royals' opening sweep of Tigers

The Tigers are the only winless team in the majors.

They have scored one run in the past two games.

And their manager is not happy.

"We look terrible at the plate," Jim Leyland said. "We've looked like a dead club. We've looked like an old club. We look like we're not prepared, and that's the manager's responsibility. I accept full responsibility for that."

Leyland spoke after the Kansas City Royals beat the Tigers, 4-1, Thursday at Comerica Park to complete a season-opening three-game sweep.

Brandon Inge provided the Tigers' run with a homer in the seventh off right-handed starter Zack Greinke. By then, Tigers starter Jeremy Bonderman had given up two homers: a two-run, Jim Thome-like opposite-field launch of more than 400 feet by left-handed-hitting Alex Gordon and a solo drive Mark Teahen pulled into the rightfield runway.

The Tigers hit .206 and scored five runs in the series.

"We don't look ready," Leyland said. "If somebody would have told me that, I would have told them they're crazy."

He moaned about how the Tigers produced "lazy at-bats, lazy fly-ball outs, first-pitch fly-ball outs, weak outs."

He added: "That's not us. That's not supposed to be us."

With the addition of Miguel Cabrera, the Tigers were supposed to have one of the best offenses in baseball in a long time. They have been heralded as a World Series contender.

"We've got a target on us," Leyland said. "We'll find out how good we are. We'll find out if we are tough enough. I haven't seen enough toughness in the last few days. I'm very disappointed in that."

The Tigers are 0-3 for the first time since 2003, when they opened 0-9 and lost 119 games, an American League record.

Cabrera didn't play Thursday because of soreness in his left leg. He said he hoped to play today in the opener of a three-game series against the visiting Chicago White Sox.

Leyland said several times after Thursday's game that it's the manager's responsibility when a club looked as bad as his the past two days. He was asked what he could do to make his hitters improve the quality of their at-bats.

"You can do nothing, because I don't think it's time," he said. "I don't think you go in there and rant and rave after three games.

"When I cool off a little bit, I'll mention some things on an individual basis to guys. You don't want to make a fool of yourself because you're upset.

"I'm not really aiming anything at one player or two players. I'm aiming at me. We just don't look like we're attacking the game like we're supposed to attack the game. And that bothers me.

"We're supposed to be aggressive and smart. We've been none of those things so far."

None of the hitters spoke as dramatically as Leyland. If there was a consensus to their comments, it was something like this: It is early, and streaks like this happen, but we know we have to get going.

"I'll be the most shocked person in Michigan if we don't hit," he said. "At the same time, you don't hit because you are supposed to hit. You hit because you are prepared; you've got a plan against each pitcher that pitches against you; you've done your homework; and you've got the right approach."

In Monday's opener, Cabrera homered in the fifth inning to put the Tigers ahead, 3-0.

Since then, the Tigers have two runs in 24 innings -- both on homers. The Tigers haven't put hits together, and thus they haven't put a victory together.

"You look good if you've got your concentration level where it's supposed to be and your relaxation level where it's supposed to be," Leyland said. "I think those are the two most important ingredients in playing the game.

"We don't look like we're relaxed, and we don't look like we're concentrating very good. And that goes back to me. That's just the way it is."

Contact JOHN LOWE at 313-223-4053 or jlowe@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...422/1048/SPORTS

It already looks like Polanco has a big head over his '07 performance.

Is this a joke? Because if not it could be. That motherfocker has the oddest shaped head I have ever saw. I mean it looks like a peanut.

Is this a joke? Because if not it could be. That motherfocker has the oddest shaped head I have ever saw. I mean it looks like a peanut.

yeah..that was a giant dome joke....the earflap on his batting helmet actually bends outwards :dunno:

:banana: Swept by the Royals.

:dunno:

That's worse than losing 3 in a row in the NFL to the Raiders, Lions and Cardinals.

:thumbsup:

Go Clete!

Smells like some 2007 Yankees right now. Wonder if anyone is going to play the role of A-Rod and keep the team near .500 in April by going berserk.

We would have been fine today if not for grilli. He sucks so much d!ck he might as well be a hooker.

We would have been fine today if not for grilli. He sucks so much d!ck he might as well be a hooker.

except for the 5 runs on the board before grilli got in there...and having the bases loaded with nobody out in the first and scoring 1 run. i'm not a grilli fan (the guy should be unemployed)...just saying.

except for the 5 runs on the board before grilli got in there...and having the bases loaded with nobody out in the first and scoring 1 run. i'm not a grilli fan (the guy should be unemployed)...just saying.

He is the one that gave up the lead. 5 straight hits. 3 runs on 3 pitches? I mean come on.

Reallyyyyyyyyy....in the first 3 games of the season played in weather in the 50's...that can't happen :thumbsdown:

Hope you're back to eat crow in August-September,

He is the one that gave up the lead. 5 straight hits. 3 runs on 3 pitches? I mean come on.

that was pretty impressive.

that was pretty UN-impressive.

Let me help ya with that.

0-4 :wub:

Doesnt mean much really, they are capable of stringing together 20 straight wins when they click

Sportscenter said no MLB team has ever started 0-4 and went on to win the WS,with so many games in a season I would've never guessed that.

At least they aren't the Lions.

I GUARANTEE they win at least 10 games this year. :bandana:

These are the things that get at me. Things like Renteria being doubled off of first on A FLY BALL TO LEFT. Laziness plus stupidity. Way to endear yourself to the new team.

These are the things that get at me. Things like Renteria being doubled off of first on A FLY BALL TO LEFT. Laziness plus stupidity. Way to endear yourself to the new team.

So freakin what?! DTrain is 5ip 5bb 0k 0 hits :pointstosky:

with all the criticism of him this spring i've been tellin friends just watch he'll be the best out of the gate with everyone else struggling.

:rolleyes: