Fumbleweed

2008 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Seattle Seahawks

1 25 (25)

2 24 (55)

3 23 (86)

4 22 (121)

6 22 (189) From Tennessee

7 26 (233) From Jacksonville

Please, just dont reach for a TE at the 25th spot. If you don't trade out of the first, PLEASE take Jonathon Stewart, Kenny Pillips, Balmer or one of the top 5 tackles.

I'll be here on sunday. Not too sure about saturday. There will be a lot of beer involved and I'm still not sure if people are coming over or not (this will involve my computer chatting time.)

I have my rankings done for every position except for QB and CB. I didn't feel Seattle would look in those directions any. So I skipped them.

I also haven't looked at the o-line prospects. I've been very bad in the past evaluating those kids. I just find it hard for me to judge the line. So if we draft someone, you guys will have to hook me up with some personal info. and your opinions in them.

Looking at our roster. I have 3 levels of need:

Must have this year:

TE- Nuff said.

DT- Bernard is in the final year of his contract. And Tubbs might never be the same again, and he also only has a year or 2 left. I could even see us getting 2 DT's. A 1 gap and a 2 gap lineman.

K- Olindo Mare. Nuff said.

Don't need immediatly, however let's plan ahead:

RB- I think JJ will only be the bridge from the past (Alexander) to the future (rookie)

T- We only have 3 on the team. And Willis can play guard too. So maybe that's only even 2 and a half T's we got, and Jones is another year older.

Depth and special teams players

MLB- Unless someone can move to the inside. Right now Tatupu doesn't have a backup.

FS/SS- Solid starters that are older. 1 backup that can't stay healthy. The other backup is an unproven kid.

DE- Still don't know what the deal with Babin is. And Adkins is unproven.

I really don't think WR is as big of a problem that most people do.

That's all for now. :thumbsdown: See ya in the WAR ROOM.

Ruskell will not reach based on a percieved need, so don't worry about that. He's mentioned in several recent interviews that he views draft picks as gold, so I'm of the opinion that the Seahaws will try their best to trade down out of the first round to pick up another second and maybe a 5th.

If they can't trade down and stay at # 25, they take BPA, which by looking at many of the mock drafts will probably be a DT/DE. (Phillip Merling, Kentwan Balmer?) (And now with the Rocky Bernard situation this is a need).

The best case scenario for the Hawks would be the Rams going with Gholston or Long at # 2, then the Falcons taking Glenn Dorsey at #3. The Falcons then might be interested in trading back into RD 1 at #25 for Brian Brohm if still avavilable. The Hawks then would have at least two 2nd rounders and possibly a later 5th. Then with the early second pick acquired from the Falcons they could take either one of these three players if still available: DT Trevor Laws or TEs Dustin Keller or Fred Davis.

One guy I would love to see the Hawks draft is RB Kevin Smith out of UCF. Phillybear mentioned there is some good talent in the 2nd tier of RBs coming out this year and this guy, IMO, leads the way. The Wildman, when talking about Smith, has mentioned the name Marcus Allen. A good endorsement for any RB. I think this guy could be the RB of the future. Smith has stated in interviews that the Hawks have shown intereest, so we shall see. Other than my preference for this guy, I am not set on the Hawks taking anyone in particular. I know everyone likes the "name" TEs and want the Hawks to take either John Carlson, Dustin Keller, or Fred Davis. But they could get some real value later in the draft from guys like Kellen Davis, Brad Cottam, or Martin Rucker. So don't go crazy if in the first three round the Hawks don't reach for a TE.

Lots of intrigue this year. It should fun! :pointstosky:

1st round - best player available. I would prefer a defensive player, or an offensive lineman. There is no reason to take a QB, RB, TE, or WR in the first round. No value there.

2nd round - best player available, possibly TE or RB

The rest of the way will be determined by the first two picks.

Couple of thoughts posted here on how I hope day 1 shakes out:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...t&p=3580581

But in general here's my thinking, position-by-position:

QB: we're fine.

RB: JJ is a useful stop-gap, as is Duckett. Weaver will be fine at FB. But we need a young RB on the roster to learn the system, step in on the occasional series, learn how to pass-block, etc.. This is the year to get someone like that since next year's crop of RBs is likely to be thin. Would be pissing my pants if J. Stewart from Oregon is still available at #25. If not, address in round 3.

TE: like everyone else has said, a position of need. Pass-catching skills higher priority than blocking. Address in round 2.

WR: If you like the young kids (Obomanu, Taylor, Payne), then this is not a huge need, at least not in comparison to everything else. If they do go WR in round 1, I hope it's Limas Sweed, since he sounds like he's most NFL-ready out of all the candidates.

OL: problematic. Jones is slipping, Gray is about 46 yrs old, so the left side of the line - the blind side - needs some sprucing up. Would be pissing my pants if Albert drops to #25 (and if somehow Albert and Stewart are both available at #25, I guess I would have to crap my pants). Could see a #1 pick on Cherilus also.

DT: depends on whether you think Tubbs will come back healthy. Since he constantly gets injured, I say no, and I want them to take a top DT. Prefer Laws or Balmer.

DE: Could see using #1 pick on Merling, but now it seems like the Redskins are interested at #21, so I don't think he'll be there. Think you address on day 2.

LB: Tatupu is locked up, but they need to sign Hill, and even if they do, Peterson will be drawing ridiculous cap numbers in a year or two, so I could see a high pick being used on an OLB, to replace either Hill (if he walks) or Peterson (if he won't rejigger his contract).

CB: we've spent two high picks on Jennings and Wilson in the last two years. Let's coach them up and get them to play. I can't see another high pick here again.

S: Kenny Phillips could be an option here, since both current safeties are veterans from FA. But I would rather the focus be on the front seven over a safety on day 1.

Summarizing...

1) take a high RB if he falls to #25

2) if not, go for a top DT (Balmer, Laws) or a top OL guy (Albert, Cherilus, Otah)

3) grab a TE in round 2 (Keller, Carlson)

4) if no RB in round 1, grab RB in round 3; if RB taken in round 1, go DL/OL here

Last thing to note, I've got as much a man-crush on Kevin Smith as anyone else, but Ruskell's history is that he does NOT draft guys from smaller schools. So as much as I hate to say it, I don't think they look to him in round 3.

I nearly had to go to a social function on Saturday afternoon. Disaster averted.

Now I can be drunk and surly all day Saturday, and as a bonus, stay at home.

If there was no Phillybear humor. I would have boycotted the war room. Just out of respect.

:cheers:

I nearly had to go to a social function on Saturday afternoon. Disaster averted.

Now I can be drunk and surly all day Saturday, and as a bonus, stay at home.

The NFL would have cancelled the draft!

So there I am last night, getting drunk and bored around midnight, just minding my own business when inspiration strikes. Oh, drunken muse in my haid, what shall I do? How about walking a few blocks down to the public golf course and grab some lost golf balls? Oh, how those little white balls sparkle in the midnight light, like a diamond in the midst of a really messy dump. So, ignoring the nearly thousand of golf balls sitting in a large cardboard box in my basement, I set off. After beating the bushes of the first few holes, I had accumulated about a dozen balls. Score!!! As I was skirting the creek of hole #4, I was struck by movement back up the hill behind me. I ducked behind some shrubbery and waited. I saw stealthy motion again coming the hill. As the mysterious movement crossed a patch illuminated by a street light, I nearly lost my mind. Aliens. Extraterrestrial beings. That's not some grey hoodie, that's loose grey alien skin. I quickly made my made across the course, ducking behind trees, zig zagging, avoiding the fresh crop circle in the sand trap of #16, moving as quietly as I could, thankful that I was smart enought to wear a black shirt, black shorts, black shoes, and black sneakers. I hear voices behind me, getting closer, as I run along the chain link fencing, frantically searching for the hole that I hope they hadn't fixed since last month. There!! The hole. As I take one more glance over my shoulder, I see a tree catch fire about 50 feet away. Goddam laser guns. I duck through the gap, and pull the fence closed behind me. I started running through back yards, brandishing my sack of golf balls like a mace, swinging it aroud like a madman. I run three steps and look over my shoulder, relentlessly pounding the pavement of dimly lit back streets. I spend the next 3 hours walking from 7-11 to 7-11, looking for urinal cakes because everybody knows that a urinal cake necklace keeps the space aliens away. No luck until the fourth store. Not that they sold them. But I plucked a used one out of their public restroom. Taking the loooonnnnggggg way home, I cautiously walk up my driveway. Nothing in sight. I think I lost them. I pat the still moist urinal cake hanging like an amulet hanging around my neck. Taking one more look over my shoulder, I take out my house keys and swing the screen door open to my basement door. A triangle of golf balls, propped up by the inside of the screen door break formation and cascade down by my feet. Out of sheer terror, I scream.

Welcome to draft day. :mad:

So there I am last night, getting drunk and bored around midnight, just minding my own business when inspiration strikes. Oh, drunken muse in my haid, what shall I do? How about walking a few blocks down to the public golf course and grab some lost golf balls? Oh, how those little white balls sparkle in the midnight light, like a diamond in the midst of a really messy dump. So, ignoring the nearly thousand of golf balls sitting in a large cardboard box in my basement, I set off. After beating the bushes of the first few holes, I had accumulated about a dozen balls. Score!!! As I was skirting the creek of hole #4, I was struck by movement back up the hill behind me. I ducked behind some shrubbery and waited. I saw stealthy motion again coming the hill. As the mysterious movement crossed a patch illuminated by a street light, I nearly lost my mind. Aliens. Extraterrestrial beings. That's not some grey hoodie, that's loose grey alien skin. I quickly made my made across the course, ducking behind trees, zig zagging, avoiding the fresh crop circle in the sand trap of #16, moving as quietly as I could, thankful that I was smart enought to wear a black shirt, black shorts, black shoes, and black sneakers. I hear voices behind me, getting closer, as I run along the chain link fencing, frantically searching for the hole that I hope they hadn't fixed since last month. There!! The hole. As I take one more glance over my shoulder, I see a tree catch fire about 50 feet away. Goddam laser guns. I duck through the gap, and pull the fence closed behind me. I started running through back yards, brandishing my sack of golf balls like a mace, swinging it aroud like a madman. I run three steps and look over my shoulder, relentlessly pounding the pavement of dimly lit back streets. I spend the next 3 hours walking from 7-11 to 7-11, looking for urinal cakes because everybody knows that a urinal cake necklace keeps the space aliens away. No luck until the fourth store. Not that they sold them. But I plucked a used one out of their public restroom. Taking the loooonnnnggggg way home, I cautiously walk up my driveway. Nothing in sight. I think I lost them. I pat the still moist urinal cake hanging like an amulet hanging around my neck. Taking one more look over my shoulder, I take out my house keys and swing the screen door open to my basement door. A triangle of golf balls, propped up by the inside of the screen door break formation and cascade down by my feet. Out of sheer terror, I scream.

Welcome to draft day. :shocking:

:huh:

All I had last night was indigestion.

:dunno:

Just finished my Lost writeup for this week. Dam, that takes some time to do. Now, time to get drunker and catch up on the draft. Seems like some reaches so far in the teens.

I'll be back in a couple of minutes, to start to put together a wish list for our pick.

Dam, J Stewart went much, much sooner than I thought he would. Especially in front of Mendenthal.

Just finished my Lost writeup for this week. Dam, that takes some time to do. Now, time to get drunker and catch up on the draft. Seems like some reaches so far in the teens.

I'll be back in a couple of minutes, to start to put together a wish list for our pick.

Dam, J Stewart went much, much sooner than I thought he would. Especially in front of Mendenthal.

Their goes alberts.

Not as much reaching as I first thought. Mostly the same players, just going in different slots than I figured. Still. the Pats took Mayo too early. I think they should have traded down a second time and then took him.

Ah, dare to dream, Mendenthall dropping, and dropping, and..

What are you waiting for Ruskell? Brandan Albert was there to trade up for. Now Mendenthall.... :crickets:

The next best players on my board are

RB Rashard Mendenthal

OT Jeff Otah

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

Actually, there are quite a few O and D linemen around right now. I wonder if one them drops to us.

I had Joe Flacco going in the 2nd round. Finally getting some reachers. Cherilus OT I thought would go around where Seattle would be selecting.

Did I hear Sal Palo right? Seattle was thinking about moving into the first...for Flacco? Why? Fock that. I don't think much of Seneca, but why waste a high pick on Flacco. We aren't stupid like the Eagles trading down and taking Kolb last year.

Rusfockingkell, you gots some 'plaining to do. :pointstosky: :overhead:

Actually, I hope the Flacco pick causes a panic and starts a QB run. :Ihope:

OK, let's adjust, as we hope some teams continue to panic and draft guys a bit early ahead of us. Otah gone.

RB Rashard Mendenthal

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

CB Aqib Talib

WR Devin Thomas

RB Felix Jones

I'm looking at the draft board. Is there any team ahead of the Seahawks that needs a RB. I don't think so.

Do you...is...can....Mendenthal? :pointstosky:

Nah. Won't happen. :overhead:

Sam Baker. Atlanta reached huge for a guy that would have gone mid 2nd round.

RB Rashard Mendenthal

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

WR Devin Thomas

RB Felix Jones

Sam Baker. Atlanta reached huge for a guy that would have gone mid 2nd round.

RB Rashard Mendenthal

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

WR Devin Thomas

RB Felix Jones

I like Rashard, but what do you think of Phillips at SS.

At this point I hope we trade down.

I like Rashard, but what do you think of Phillips at SS.

At this point I hope we trade down.

Phillips, I like if we trade down to the bottom of the first round.

RB Rashard Mendenthal

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

WR Devin Thomas

Love Mendenthal. I watched him at Illinois, and he was a monster.

If Mendenthal goes, and I can't see Pitt or Tenn taking him, then trade down. Otherwise, grab him and smile ear to ear.

Phillips, I like if we trade down to the bottom of the first round.

RB Rashard Mendenthal

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

WR Devin Thomas

Love Mendenthal. I watched him at Illinois, and he was a monster.

If Mendenthal goes, and I can't see Pitt or Tenn taking him, then trade down. Otherwise, grab him and smile ear to ear.

Just as well, as I couldn't even spell his name right. FOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take Merling or Balmer, or trade down.

My spirit is crushed. I would dose myself with gasoline and set myself on fire, but who am I kidding? Have you seen the price of gas?

Just as well, as I couldn't even spell his name right. FOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take Merling or Balmer, or trade down.

My spirit is crushed. I would dose myself with gasoline and set myself on fire, but who am I kidding? Have you seen the price of gas?

Here we go!!! Now we're talkin'!

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

WR Devin Thomas

These are all value picks. Take one, or trade down.

Chris Johnson. BWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take note, drafniks. For the first time in 8 focking years, ESPN did not go to commercial when Seattle was on the clock in the 1st round....

Oh, wait. They just did. Those sh!tdickers. :shocking: :wall: :cry: :mad:

I want to choke Chris Berman to death with his intestines after I disembowel him.

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

WR Devin Thomas

As I pointed out, I was OK with any of these guys. Apparently Seattle did too, as they dropped 3 spots, and traded down. Well, they didn't reach...yet.

Breathing into a paper bag. Serenity now.

DE Philip Merling

CB Mike Jenkins

OT Chris Williams

DT Kentwar Balmer

WR Devin Thomas

As I pointed out, I was OK with any of these guys. Apparently Seattle did too, as they dropped 3 spots, and traded down. Well, they didn't reach...yet.

Breathing into a paper bag. Serenity now.

Ha!

Seahawks got a 5 and 7th for moving down to 28

What the hell? Is that worth ANYTHING?????????? I'd rather get a coupon to McDonalds for a free Kids Meal than that friggin value. Great. We can draft a long snapper and a 3rd string punter with those picks. If we trade up, we might improve our towel boy depth.

If the Seahawks traded down just to take the TE at the end of the 1st round, I swear by Grabthar's Hammer that I will cut off my stupid head with a pizza cutter.

I have Jackson as my 5th rated DE in the draft. Only Merling left at that position rated higher than him. With that said, he's a solid kid. But they could have gone in a different direction.

So now I guess he starts opposite of Kerney. And now with Tapp moving to a backup position, Seattle will now have solid depth at the ends.

Dear Mr Ruskell:

I know that we have never met. But I hate you. Every year you put me through the wringer. I crunch numbers, put together a cheat sheet, and participate in mock drafts. And every year, you REAAAAAAAAAAAACH for players. Lawrence Jackson was #47 on my draft board. Forty Fockity Seven. I realize that you way want to reach for USC players after your blind luck success for reaching for Tatupu. But if you are going to take a DE, and Philip Merling is still on the board and you don't take him, you are a drooling idiot. You will never recreate USC football at Seattle, and Pete Carroll will never coach for such a stupid GM.

I want you dead. I want your family dead. I want your house burned to the ground. I want to find your grave and salt the the dirt above your coffin so flowers or even weeds will ever grow above you. I want the world to see the bare earth above your stupid rotting corpse, you useless piece of crap. Go stick a plunger up your ass and fall backwards.

We were better off with Keller in the 1st round. Oh, gee, the Jets just took him. I am sharpening my pizza cutter. See you in another life, brother.