7 41 (248)

The Bears have 2 picks in round 3

Pick Team Player Pos Ht Wt College

1 (64) Miami Dolphins

2 (65) St. Louis Rams

3 (66) Kansas City Chiefs

4 (67) Carolina Panthers (From Jets)

5 (68) Atlanta Falcons

6 (69) New England Patriots (From Raiders)

7 (70) Chicago Bears (From 49ers)

8 (71) Jacksonville Jaguars (From Ravens through Bills)

9 (72) Buffalo Bills

10 (73) Kansas City Chiefs (From Broncos through Vikings)

11 (74) Carolina Panthers

12 (75) San Francisco 49ers (From Bears)

13 (76) Detroit Lions

14 (77) Cincinnati Bengals

15 (78) New Orleans Saints

16 (79) Houston Texans

17 (80) Philadelphia Eagles

18 (81) Arizona Cardinals

19 (82) Kansas City Chiefs (From Vikings)

20 (83) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

21 (84) Washington Redskins

22 (85) Tennessee Titans

23 (86) Seattle Seahawks

24 (87) Detroit Lions (From Browns)

25 (88) Pittsburgh Steelers

26 (89) Jacksonville Jaguars

27 (90) Chicago Bears (From Chargers)

28 (91) Green Bay Packers

29 (92) Dallas Cowboys

30 (93) Indianapolis Colts

31 (94) New England Patriots

32 (95) New York Giants

33 (96) Washington Redskins (Compensatory selection)

34 (97) Cincinnati Bengals (Compensatory selection)

35 (98) Atlanta Falcons (Compensatory selection)

36 (99) Baltimore Ravens (Compensatory selection)

Devin would be the play here if he makes it by the Bills at #11.

I'd prefer they go O-line or RB.

I think you have to go OT. There is some solid talent there, but the difference between the top tier and the second tier is far greater than it is at WR. It all depends on which OT is available, but that would be my preference.

This draft is working really well for Da Bears....KC, Saints both did not pick OT....also, Baltimore was the other wild card to pick OL and they did not either....Jax pixking Harvey makes one more OT fall to the Da Bears

Top 9 picks gone and still Clady, Chris Williams, Otah, Alberts all on the board :thumbsup:

No way Pats or Bills pick OL so it is between Carolina, Denver and us.... :banana:

They have to go Branden Albert here. I think he helps the offense more than any RB or WR could right here.

Top 9 picks gone and still Clady, Chris Williams, Otah, Alberts all on the board :angry:

yep, now come on and leave the Chiefs the one that actually ends up the best pro :mad:

i like the williams pick, wouldnt have been upset had he ended up with the chiefs.

Chris Williams? I think Bears fans will be regretting they passed on Alberts for years to come.

Chris Williams? I think Bears fans will be regretting they passed on Alberts for years to come.

my hopes for the chiefs:

1. alberts

2. otah

my hopes for the chiefs:

1. alberts

2. otah

You got your wish. Nice draft for the Chiefs so far.

I really hope that the Bears do not go with Henne in the 2nd. The only QBs I would want to see them end up with are Flacco, Brohm, or Josh Johnson. Flacco and Brohm will likely be gone, but I think Johnson could be an interesting guy tomorrow.

I would have loved to see Mendenhall remain in blue and orange, but this RB class is deep. There will guys with feature potential in the third and fourth. OT was the smart move. Of course Angelo can't pick in the first round for ######, so he probably took the wrong one.

Definitely need to look at QB next. I they've got a couple third rounders, so hopefully they can put a package to move up in the second if Brohm falls.

Of course Angelo can't pick in the first round for ######, so he probably took the wrong one.

Yeah that Tommie Harris guy really s-u-c-k-s :shocking:

Yeah that Tommie Harris guy really s-u-c-k-s :shocking:

Marc Colombo, Michael Haynes, Rex Grossman, Cedric Benson?

Tommie Harris even he couldn't have screwed up...no DTs had been taken yet and it was an overwhelming need. He could have even taken Wilfork there and made the right choice. A monkey could have (did?) handle that pick. I give him more credit for Greg Olsen among his first round picks. He showed some flashes last year of being a dominant receiving option. Angelo had to think a bit out of the box there and was willing to take the risk, unlike when he ###### the bed trading down in 2003 and compounding the error by two bad picks, or when he took Benson.

I was hoping James Hardy would fall, but now it looks like the Bears might have their choice of Brohm or Henne without having to trade up.

Nope here's Minny. :banana:

Or not. Sticking with Tavaris :overhead:

Ugh. I don't dislike Forte, but come on...wtf is wrong with Brohm or Henne in the second round. Unbelievable. RB is DEEP this year, take a focking QB you moron.

Ugh. I don't dislike Forte, but come on...wtf is wrong with Brohm or Henne in the second round. Unbelievable. RB is DEEP this year, take a focking QB you moron.

Great now he can't pick in the 2nd round either. :huh: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I love the Forte pick. I think a QB will be there in the 3rd or 4th we can live with. Not a big Henne fan, although I admit I don't know that much about Brohm.

I'm in...

Analysis

Positives: Has a well-built frame with thick thighs and calves, V-shaped upper torso with muscular arms, tight abdomen and broad shoulders...Shows good initial quickness and adequate elusiveness for a rare sized halfback...Has the ability to take a hit and keep his feet to break arm tackles...His catching ability is above average, as he is sudden out of his breaks and shows good hand extension to catch outside his frame...Has an adequate burst of speed, but is precise in his cuts and hits the holes aggressively, squaring his shoulders to execute through trash...Shows good vision and field awareness, as he is developing into an efficient cut blocker...Does a good job being patient and waiting for blocks to develop and has the vision to easily locate the cutback lanes...Is very decisive through the holes, picking his feet well while displaying the body lean to fall forward and gain additional yardage after the initial hit...Is very alert to stunts and blitzes, doing a nice job of facing up to the defender in pass protection...His effort and drive is good taking the ball up the middle and also demonstrates the second gear to elude along the perimeter...Runs hard and ends most of his carries going forward...Is an adequate in-line blocker, but shows good effort to sustain and control, keeping his hands active and with proper placement...Hard worker on and off the field and is the type who plays until the whistle...Not a real vocal guy, but is very good leader by example...Can be relied upon to get his workouts done without being watched and usually does extra work in the training and film rooms...Shows good ability to hit the hole hard and getting up to full speed in a hurry once he clears the line...Runs with good balance and does a fine job of setting up his blocks...Does a good job of seeing the field and locating coverages to settle underneath in passing situations...Has good strength and power and has become more of a bruiser when running the ball during his senior year...Consistently finishes his runs going forward and shows the ability to consistently break tackles, even when he has to power through the pile...Has vision and quickness to make first person miss and builds his acceleration nicely, reaching full speed when turning the corner...His body control and balance are evident by his ability to make hard cuts and get defenders off balance...Had some fumble issues in 2007, but generally does a good job of protecting the ball in traffic...Used mostly on controlled routes and screens, but has the moves and route running ability to go up the seam for the long throws...Doesn't shy away from contact and is very good at squaring up to mirror defenders or make cut...Has steadily improved his ability to create separation between him and the defender as a senior, keeping his pads low and showing very fluid cutback agility, showing no ill effects from 2006 knee surgery...Comes out of his stance with good hip snap, doing a nice job of locating the cutback lanes...Is a load to bring down in isolated coverage (had to be brought down by multiple defenders on 99-of-314 non-touchdown runs in 2007 and on 53-of-155 carries in 2006)...Has also become an efficient in-line blocker, keeping his hands within his framework to latch on and sustain...Drives hard with his legs in limited attempts as a lead blocker, squaring his shoulders well to widen the rush lanes.

Negatives: Does a good job hitting the hole and reading his blocks, but isn't the type of player who can suddenly explode past the smaller defenders (better moving the pile than trying to elude. Does have the hip swerve to quickly redirect to the cutback lanes)...Lacks the sudden burst to hit the corner, but builds his acceleration nicely, using his power rather than a second gear to break long runs...Has very good hands as a receiver, but the system does not call for him to be split out, nor is he expected to run wide-out routes, but you can see on film that he has the vision and hand extension to catch outside his frame.

Compares To: EDGERRIN JAMES-Arizona...Like James, Forte' might lack explosive speed, but his lower body strength, balance and body control allow him to shift his weight, sink his pads and drive through arm tackles. He is an efficient receiver out of the backfield and adds to his resume as a gunner on special teams. Like James, he quietly goes about his job and is slowly developing into a solid cut blocker. He seems to get stronger as the game wears on and has made steady progress recovering from late 2006 knee problems.

how is forte ever going to move superstar benson to the bench? :dunno:

Thanks for stopping in. Whenever I'm ready to get too critical of Angelo, I just remember how bad it actually could be to be a Lions fan and have a jackass like Millen running the most futile team in professional sports.

All the top QB's and WR's are gone. Looks like another year of Rexy for the Bears. :thumbsdown:

All the top QB's and WR's are gone. Looks like another year of Rexy for the Bears. :cheers:

Thanks for proving you are retarded. Even if the Bears had drafted Henne or Brohm, they would not have started this year. Oh, and Rex has actually been to a SB....it was not long ago that there were mo-rons like you telling the world how Rex would never win a playoff game? How did that turn out? Then you were among the same mo-rons who said Peyton M would never win a SB? How did that turn out? Then you were among the same mo-rons who said Eli M would never win a SB? How did that turn out? My point - build a good team and you will be fine. It is not about one poistion - unless you have Tom Brady or Peyton M, there are no other franchise QBs in this league anyways. You can win with a TEAM....that is the beauty of football. If you had a clue, you would know that by now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfWGej1Na8...feature=related

Analysis

Positives: Has a well-built frame with thick thighs and calves, V-shaped upper torso with muscular arms, tight abdomen and broad shoulders...Shows good initial quickness and adequate elusiveness for a rare sized halfback...Has the ability to take a hit and keep his feet to break arm tackles...His catching ability is above average, as he is sudden out of his breaks and shows good hand extension to catch outside his frame...Has an adequate burst of speed, but is precise in his cuts and hits the holes aggressively, squaring his shoulders to execute through trash...Shows good vision and field awareness, as he is developing into an efficient cut blocker...Does a good job being patient and waiting for blocks to develop and has the vision to easily locate the cutback lanes...Is very decisive through the holes, picking his feet well while displaying the body lean to fall forward and gain additional yardage after the initial hit...Is very alert to stunts and blitzes, doing a nice job of facing up to the defender in pass protection...His effort and drive is good taking the ball up the middle and also demonstrates the second gear to elude along the perimeter...Runs hard and ends most of his carries going forward...Is an adequate in-line blocker, but shows good effort to sustain and control, keeping his hands active and with proper placement...Hard worker on and off the field and is the type who plays until the whistle...Not a real vocal guy, but is very good leader by example...Can be relied upon to get his workouts done without being watched and usually does extra work in the training and film rooms...Shows good ability to hit the hole hard and getting up to full speed in a hurry once he clears the line...Runs with good balance and does a fine job of setting up his blocks...Does a good job of seeing the field and locating coverages to settle underneath in passing situations...Has good strength and power and has become more of a bruiser when running the ball during his senior year...Consistently finishes his runs going forward and shows the ability to consistently break tackles, even when he has to power through the pile...Has vision and quickness to make first person miss and builds his acceleration nicely, reaching full speed when turning the corner...His body control and balance are evident by his ability to make hard cuts and get defenders off balance...Had some fumble issues in 2007, but generally does a good job of protecting the ball in traffic...Used mostly on controlled routes and screens, but has the moves and route running ability to go up the seam for the long throws...Doesn't shy away from contact and is very good at squaring up to mirror defenders or make cut...Has steadily improved his ability to create separation between him and the defender as a senior, keeping his pads low and showing very fluid cutback agility, showing no ill effects from 2006 knee surgery...Comes out of his stance with good hip snap, doing a nice job of locating the cutback lanes...Is a load to bring down in isolated coverage (had to be brought down by multiple defenders on 99-of-314 non-touchdown runs in 2007 and on 53-of-155 carries in 2006)...Has also become an efficient in-line blocker, keeping his hands within his framework to latch on and sustain...Drives hard with his legs in limited attempts as a lead blocker, squaring his shoulders well to widen the rush lanes.

Negatives: Does a good job hitting the hole and reading his blocks, but isn't the type of player who can suddenly explode past the smaller defenders (better moving the pile than trying to elude. Does have the hip swerve to quickly redirect to the cutback lanes)...Lacks the sudden burst to hit the corner, but builds his acceleration nicely, using his power rather than a second gear to break long runs...Has very good hands as a receiver, but the system does not call for him to be split out, nor is he expected to run wide-out routes, but you can see on film that he has the vision and hand extension to catch outside his frame.

Compares To: EDGERRIN JAMES-Arizona...Like James, Forte' might lack explosive speed, but his lower body strength, balance and body control allow him to shift his weight, sink his pads and drive through arm tackles. He is an efficient receiver out of the backfield and adds to his resume as a gunner on special teams. Like James, he quietly goes about his job and is slowly developing into a solid cut blocker. He seems to get stronger as the game wears on and has made steady progress recovering from late 2006 knee problems.

Injury Report

2006: Sat out the final three games vs. Southern Mississippi (11/11), Central Florida (11/18) and Tulsa (11/24) and missed 2007 spring drills after suffering a left knee torn meniscus and posterior cruciate ligament late in the Marshall (11/04) clash.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

From roto world.com:

On Ray Rice:

" Negatives: Rice won't run around or by many NFL defenders. He isn't as versatile as McFadden, Mendenhall, Stewart, or Matt Forte. Rice's offensive line dominated the Big East; as many as three members of the Scarlet Knights' 2007 unit will be drafted in April. He is considered raw as a route runner".

on Charles:

Verdict: Charles gave up track and improved markedly as a junior, but there are question marks about his ball security, size, and staying power in the NFL after an up-and-down college career. Somewhat like Chris Henry in 2007, Charles appears to be a boom-or-bust prospect that may never see the field consistently if he puts the ball on the ground in practice as a pro.

on Kevin Smith:

Verdict: Smith has decent all-around measurables, but is a shifty back who sometimes runs too high. He may be just now coming into his own as a player, but his long-term upside is limited because of his average athleticism. Smith's NFL career may be shortened due to his startling overuse at UCF.

*** There's a good chance the Lions would have taken running back Matt Forte with the 45th pick if he slipped past the Bears. Detroit brought him in on a pre-draft visit and liked him a lot.

The Lions instead went with Colorado linebacker Jordon Dizon in this spot. He's an overachiever who some consider a reach in that spot, just like they thought the Lions went early for Boston College offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus in Round 1 at No. 17. Aren't we used to Matt Millen drafts being criticized by now?

Get this. Word is the Denver Broncos were also inquiring about Forte. They passed at No. 42 taking Virginia Tech wide receiver Eddie Royal. Mike Shanahan never drafts backs real high. The Broncos wanted Devin Hester two years ago when the Bears nabbed him.

*** Sun-Timesman Mark Potash noted the following:

Of the 33 players in NCAA Division I-A who rushed for 1,200 yards or more, Tulane's Matt Forte is the only one to do it behind an offensive line that did not include a first- or second-team all-conference member. Tulane was fourth in Conference USA in rushing, but 10th in passing, ninth in total offense and 11th in scoring.

I love the Forte pick. I was hoping that Brohm would continue to fall to the third, but knew that would be too good to be true. I would like to see the Bears take a shot on Josh Johnson at this point and a guy like Marcus Monk at WR. They are a couple of developmental players, but I feel they have a lot of upside. Maybe even a Dennis Dixon.

I too am crossing my fingers for Josh Johnson in the 3rd or 4th (Not sure where he ranks for the scouts). That would probably be too good to be true,

I see RB as the more critical short term need. Besies the fact that Benson sucks and is 3 inches away from being a flat out bust, he has the mysterious health issues that may be more serious than we all know. LT and RB were the two positions that I wanted to see with the 1st 2 picks and that is what they did.

What I would have loved was for them to package some later picks and acquire a 3rd pick in the 2nd round for one of the 2 qbs taken there. That would have been a great 1st day. As sad as it is to say, qb looked in better shape than RB heading into this year.

GB getting Brohm hurts - that was a great pick by them in that they now have two prospects at qb and they kept Brohm away from the rest of the division.

Heading into day 2, we are now looking at project qbs like Brennan or Johnson to fill the 3rd qb spot. I'm hoping they are also looking at some of the veterans that are available like Culpepper or Leftwich. The offence still needs another G and WR as well, so there was too many needs for just 2 day 1 picks.

If healthy, the D should return to upper tier with only two concerns - a DT to play alongside Harris and a safety in case Mike Brown cant play the whole year.

As far as the division rivals:

GB - WR was a poor choice, but I like the QB and CB picks.

Det - They finally drafted oline, but didnt get a RB yet. If they can get Charles in round 3, it would be a decent draft for them.

Min - The draft is essentially the acquisition of Jared Allen which will make their DLine one of the best in the game.

Back to Chi, who are the best WRs to consider now? Is Manningham worth a shot in the 3rd round? Big time talent with a marijuana bust? I would take a shot on this one and then get the project qb in round 4 or 5.

Round 3 targets - G and WR (but DT wouldnt be a bad direction as well)

had the bears drafted brohm, id have thrown good $$ on the bears finishing OVER for the win/loss bet this year....im baffled as to why they let him get by...they arent far off..just a solid QB and some other smaller pieces...if they think sexy rexy is the answer..they havent been paying attention...

dont tell me they are setting their sights on colt brennan :thumbsup:

they should package 2 later picks and get thomas jones back from the jets

if people worried about wide outs smoking week, there would only be 2 guys on the field..welker and stokely....

manningham would make al harris and woodson crap themselves..they CANT pass him up if hes there...

had the bears drafted brohm, id have thrown good $$ on the bears finishing OVER for the win/loss bet this year....im baffled as to why they let him get by...they arent far off..just a solid QB and some other smaller pieces...if they think sexy rexy is the answer..they havent been paying attention...

dont tell me they are setting their sights on colt brennan :thumbsup:

they should package 2 later picks and get thomas jones back from the jets

if people worried about wide outs smoking week, there would only be 2 guys on the field..welker and stokely....

manningham would make al harris and woodson crap themselves..they CANT pass him up if hes there...

I dont think they are satisfied with the current qbs - just that RB was the more immediate need

TJ was great but is over the hill now.

As for Brennan - who knows. While Hawaii never plays a real schedule, Colt has had alot of great scouting reports and the stats are incredible. Whether that means anything in the pros is another story. Brohm would not have started in 2008 anyway, so if he was taken, it would be for late '08 or for the 2009 season if they finally put the nail in the Grossman and Orton coffins.

Very nice pick with Earl Bennett....Mayock and Kiper loved the picks too. Cutler's fave target in college; after Cutler he played with crappy WRs and he still produced. Kiper compared him to Hines Ward

Height: 5-111/2 | Weight: 209 | 40-Time: 4.48

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has good size and a solid frame...Excellent hands..Terrific route runner and knows how to get open...Tough and fearless...Very smooth...Nice vision and can do some damage after the catch...Gives pretty good effort as a blocker...Very smart...Might be able to contribute as a return man...Hard worker...Top intangibles...Productive.

Weaknesses:

Just average athleticism...Not a blazer and could have trouble separating from pro corners...Is not very quick or explosive and lacks a burst..Not much of a vertical or big play threat...He is not overly elusive..Upside at the next level might be limited.

Notes:

Really burst onto the scene as a true freshman in '05 and quickly emerged as Jay Cutler's favorite target..A three-year starter in the SEC...Has experience returning kicks and punts..Not the most physically gifted wideout in the world but makes up for it by doing all of the little things..Profiles as a prototypical possession receiver.

Analysis

Positives: Well-proportioned with long arms, thick chest, broad shoulders and thick muscle definition in his legs and calves...Split high with a firm midsection and a tight waist...Lacks explosiveness, but runs with a long stride and has the change-of-direction agility, along with good route stem to become a deep threat...Shows the ability to be very physical with defensive backs, using his hands well to push off to create space...Builds his acceleration quickly and has the linear speed to elude after the catch...Shows good balance and body control in his running stride, keeping his head on a swivel to look the ball in over his outside shoulder...Tough competitor who has an aggressive nature when asked to cut block, taking good angles to neutralize second-level defenders...Tough receiver in a crowd, showing the loose hips and shake to make defenders miss and the frame to adjust to the ball in flight...Plays with excellent awareness and field vision, coming back for the ball with good urgency when the quarterback is pressured...Positions his body to go up and haul down the pass in traffic...Demonstrates excellent ball concentration, coming out of his cuts and executing fluid stutter-step moves in his patterns...Shows good acceleration off the line and the hand punch to beat the press to get a clean release into the second level...Can threaten the deep part of the zone and can leverage, plant and cut when running his patterns...Will sneak up on the defender when trying to get open, using his balance and low pad level to separate...Shows good short-to-intermediate area quickness in and out of his breaks and can power through the jam with strong hand swipes...Has the ability to make the acrobatic catches, as he times his leaps well and uses his long arms to reach around the defender to secure the ball at its high point...Stays low in and out of his cuts, displaying the separation quickness to consistently go deep...Has the functional burst to get behind the defender before the catch, using his stride to get to the ball in a hurry, taking advantage of his height and long arms...When he keeps his pad level down, he is effective at getting into his routes fluidly, using his quick feet to get to the ball downfield, making proper body adjustments to extend his arm and pluck the ball...Smooth in his initial burst and can make proper body adjustments to elude at the second level...Knows how to use his size to power through arm tackles and is very good at shielding the ball from defenders...Especially effective at catching screen passes, getting to the ball even with his back to the quarterback...Uses his shake to make defenders miss and gets back to top speed in a hurry...Quiet, leader-by-example type who is a hard worker in the weight room, practice field and on game day...Tough blocker who does a nice job of facing up with aggression and has a good concept for taking angles when stalking second-level defenders...Makes a good effort to position and pester bigger pass rushers and works hard to sustain blocks...Knows how to use his hands to latch on and jerk the defender's jersey without getting caught...Once he escapes the press, he has a long stride to quickly eat up the defender's cushion...Has a good feel for the boundaries and end zone, keeping his feet in bounds while going vertical to make the catch...Has the power to drive defenders off when breaking back for the ball...Strong open-field runner who will bounce off tackles to gain extra yardage (has a fluid, smooth stride with a rapid turnover).

Negatives: Needs to improve his suddenness coming off the snap, but does build to top speed nicely...Has great hands, but will double catch at times...When he fails to sink his hips, he will sometimes take false steps coming out of his breaks...Shows good body control and has the flexibility to adjust to the ball, but needs to show better consistency (sometimes seems hesitant in his plant)...Slippery route runner, but does not have that sudden burst or second gear to win the race to the end zone on pure speed alone (best when he sets up the defender with double moves and head fakes)...Needs to improve his slide in the open zone and while he has good acceleration, he needs to use it with more consistency on transition cuts...Good short-area receiver, but when he fails to drop his pads, he struggles a bit to gain separation...Has had ball-security issues fielding punts cleanly and with his lack of suddenness, it would not be recommended to use him on special teams at the next level.

Compares To: CHRIS CHAMBERS-San Diego...Bennett might lack blazing speed, but he shows good quickness and body movement in his routes and can get off the line of scrimmage using power or finesse. His patterns are sharp and crisp with no wasted motion and he gets in and out of his breaks quickly when he keeps his pads down. He has outstanding field awareness and the ability to read coverage. He can locate the ball in a crowd and then separate. It is rare to see him misjudge a deep throw and he has also developed into a solid cut blocker. If not used as a deep threat, he will have good success moving the chains.

You guys just nailed the best reciever in the draft.

I was hoping if Seattle did go reciever, they would take Bennett. Very nice pick.

You guys just nailed the best reciever in the draft.

I was hoping if Seattle did go reciever, they would take Bennett. Very nice pick.

This raises my spirits for today. :thumbsup:

I predicted this yesterday on the Bears message board that we will go with Harrison, DT if he is there in the 3rd or 4th today

VERY NICE PICK....great value in the 2nd half of the 3rd round

Well done Jerry.....killing this draft :thumbsdown: