Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2008 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Green Bay Packers

I'm a little surprised at the Jordy Nelson pick, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Like others have said, the guy is just a "player"; he abused first-round DB Talib of KU....

I love the Brohm selection; another heady player and there's no debating we needed a QB. Who wants to go into training camp with Jerry Babb & Dalton Bell as the backups?

I don't know anything about Lee, but the SEC is the best league in the land and he's seen some quality receivers. He's a big fast corner and I'd rather have that than the host of smaller guys selected ahead of him. You can't have too many corners! I'd have been sick if they took the Iowa corner...

As for day two, I'm hoping for a developmental OT (maybe Nicks of Nebraska or Cousins of UTEP) and otherwise BPA (at Ted's discretion). The young TE from Texas would make me happy. Let's cap off the day with LB Alvin (Ace) Bowen of Iowa State as a special teams demon in the seventh round...

He has always had Favre to throw to them to. I would have rather taken the QB, and killed myself! Now I am among the walking dead! Hell, Sho.............we drafted a guy named Korky with our first pick! :thumbsdown:

He got the QB.

I love the Brohm pick this late. :thumbsdown:

Yup...I did not like it in the 1st...but here...hard to pass up a guy who could have been #1 if he would have come out last year.

He does have some issues of course. But is a smart kid made for a WCO.

it's round 2. you draft starters here. not sure how this is "late."

When you have tons of needs like the Lions...you reach and try and pick starters here.

When you go 13-3 and make it to the NFC title game...you can take a 1st round projected kind of guy late in the 2nd.

We should have Merling, Bennett, and Godfrey. There is no hope to save this draft. :thumbsdown:

And when he took Rodgers...who should he have taken?

Many were calling for Matt Roth from Iowa.

Go ahead and remind me what he has done in his NFL career?

:shocking:

When you have tons of needs like the Lions...you reach and try and pick starters here.

When you go 13-3 and make it to the NFC title game...you can take a 1st round projected kind of guy late in the 2nd.

But when you lose your HOF QB, will not get as lucky to get fluke wins like last year (Eagles, Denver etc), when your CBs were exposed to be over-rated crap in the last playoff game and when you were one of the least injured teams in the league (no significant injury to any starting players on O or D for any significant length of time), you are not really a contender. You got your azzes handed to you by the Bears at Soldier Field....next year, bring a real team. :thumbsdown:

He has done well, but he didn't today. He really screwed us with his first pick last season too. Then today he drafts Korky! hE THEN GRABS ANOTHER qB WE DON'T NEED AND a Db nobody knows about. This has been a F!

How do you know he did not do well today?

Do you have a crystal ball and can tell me what Nelson will do? Lee?

Harrell this year?

How did he screw us last year with that pick? 13-3 and in the NFC title game is screwing them?

Maybe he should have taken Robert Meachem like so many people wanted. Yeah...he did great too.

Instead...he took a beast of a DT (who, if back in form should be a solid asset up the middle)...allowing him to move Corey Williams for a 2nd round pick this year. Which he turned into Brian Brohm.

But when you lose your HOF QB, will not get as lucky to get fluke wins like last year (Eagles, Denver etc), when your CBs were exposed to be over-rated crap in the last playoff game and when you were one of the least injured teams in the league (no significant injury to any starting players on O or D for any significant length of time), you are not really a contender. You got your azzes handed to you by the Bears at Soldier Field....next year, bring a real team. :thumbsdown:

You're a pretty annoying guy, aren't you......

:thumbsdown:

And what has Aaron Rodgers done other than get injured every time he gets a chance to play? :shocking:

My God do you guys sure drink the kool-aid with this guy. A back-up QB, 4th WR and 4th DB makes you guys that happy after 2 rounds? :thumbsdown:

Yes. Because TT is building the team to be a contender for years to come. Not just for right now.

The WR will help in the return game right away.

The QB we all knew was coming as Favre is gone...and nobody knows how well Rodgers will play and hold up to the punishment.

4th DB? Try 3rd. He will most likely end up behind Harris and Woodson (maybe not to start the year).

But CB was a place they needed youth and depth.

Tomorrow I expect Oline will come into play huge for that same reason.

The truth always hurts :thumbsdown:

I'm not a Packers fan. I just see you in all the NFC North threads being a general annoyance.

GB will be lucky to even make it to the playoffs. They did not need another WR. The real problem area in GB is still RB; RYan Grant needs to prove it one more year WITHOUT Favre for me to buy into him. He will soon learn how the holes will not be there with no Favre behind the LOS. With so many good RBs available in this draft, GB was stupid to get a back up QB and another WR. :thumbsdown:

Maybe Chicago should have picked a QB.

I like their 1st round pick...Im not big on Forte though.

I'm a little surprised at the Jordy Nelson pick, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Like others have said, the guy is just a "player"; he abused first-round DB Talib of KU....

I love the Brohm selection; another heady player and there's no debating we needed a QB. Who wants to go into training camp with Jerry Babb & Dalton Bell as the backups?

I don't know anything about Lee, but the SEC is the best league in the land and he's seen some quality receivers. He's a big fast corner and I'd rather have that than the host of smaller guys selected ahead of him. You can't have too many corners! I'd have been sick if they took the Iowa corner...

As for day two, I'm hoping for a developmental OT (maybe Nicks of Nebraska or Cousins of UTEP) and otherwise BPA (at Ted's discretion). The young TE from Texas would make me happy. Let's cap off the day with LB Alvin (Ace) Bowen of Iowa State as a special teams demon in the seventh round...

I like the TE out of Tennessee as well.

Several Olinemen out there. The kid from Rutgers...plus there are 2 they mentioned for both guard and tackle that could work out nice.

Id expect TT drafts several on the Oline tomorrow.

Read up more on Forte. All teams knew he was Tulanes O and they still could not stop him. Very good between the tackles runner and has the physical tools to be an every down back. Very good pick to compete with Benson.

CBs were exposed just because of one game?

Then how bad was the Bears D exposed over the entire season?

No significant injury to any starting players? You are quite incorrect.

Injuries to Jolly (starting DT) Cole, (one of his rotational backups), injuries to Woodson, injuries to 3 differnt Running backs. Injuries to Greg Jennings. Injury to Favre causing him to miss the 2nd half of the Cowboys game.

There were some significant injuries. Though, unlike times in the past...they also had the depth to deal with them.

However...when you lose your HOF QB. You make damn well sure you have depth built up...even at QB.

Denver was a fluke win? I suggest you watch that game over again if you think it was a fluke.

And what has Aaron Rodgers done other than get injured every time he gets a chance to play? :thumbsdown:

Learned the system to the point he looked far more competent in his short time playing than Rex Grossman looks.

Read up more on Forte. All teams knew he was Tulanes O and they still could not stop him. Very good between the tackles runner and has the physical tools to be an every down back. Very good pick to compete with Benson.

Ive read a bunch of Forte and watched him. I just don't think that much of him.

Yes...all those great teams they played knew he was getting the ball.

Id hope he can compete with Benson. anyone should be able to do that.

Yeah. Great that they've now wasted two picks to fix their RB position. Still no QB or WR's though. But I guess Forte's experience as carrying the O for the entire team should help in Chicago.

But when you lose your HOF QB, will not get as lucky to get fluke wins like last year (Eagles, Denver etc), when your CBs were exposed to be over-rated crap in the last playoff game and when you were one of the least injured teams in the league (no significant injury to any starting players on O or D for any significant length of time), you are not really a contender. You got your azzes handed to you by the Bears at Soldier Field....next year, bring a real team. :overhead:

You really are very boring.

I am surprised by how many people are dumping on this draft. Nelson I can understand both sides. He may be a reach, but at the slot, not a big one. Both the other two picks are outstanding.

J

My take on Nelson is that the only real knock I can see on him is that he is a 4.5 guy rather than a 4.4 guy. But, some guys play better on the field than their measurables. Jennings is an example. Jerry Rice is the ultimate example (please don't mistake that statement for a comparison, obviously it is not). 4.4 to 4.5 is not a factor for a possession receiver. His productivity shows me that, on the field, he's a player. I think he could have been had later in the 2nd round, but I am pleased to have him.

And, I love the Brohm pick. Rodgers better not break a fingernail or he may never see the field again for the Pack. I didn't expect him to be there at our first round pick (traded), let alone in the second. Give him weapons, which GB has and he could be huge.

TT is building a monster team IMHO.

I am extremely happy to have two of my guys drafted by the Pack. It was mostly wishful thinking for Brohm coming to the Packers. Nelson was a surprise, looking at what we have, but in hindsight I dont think we can go wrong having an athlete like that on our team. All in all, good day. Look for a tight end in the fourth.

remotecontroller is an entirely uneducated fan. Trust Ted and the highly paid scouts. Just because WR isnt listed as a position of need and the analysts werent drooling over Nelson means nothing. He is an excellent player that will add something to this team. Maybe the dividends wont pay off immediately, but this guy is a gamer and will be a long term asset.

"We like Jordy quite a bit. The more you watch of him, the more you like him. He had a phenomenal year this year as a senior, he's a very smart kid, works really hard, runs fast, is big, tall, knows how to play contested balls, I don't know how many catches he had but he had a ton because we watch these cut-ups of every chance he gets, and I'm not sure how many drops he had, but it couldn't have been more than a handful for the entire year. He's strong after the catch, he's good on the slants, he's good in traffic, he can get deep, he can outrun defenders, I think he's a really good player. He's been one of those guys I sort of had my eye on for awhile and tried as best I could to try and keep it under the radar."

-Ted Thompson

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/...son-quotes.aspx

Green Bay is having a misrable draft. Congrats. Almost as bad as the Seahawks. Almost.

Green Bay = FAIL.

You are much better at analyzing LOST than the draft. Stick to what you are good at.

I really don't get it at all. I just don't understand.

I'm not one of these guys who are gonna look on the bright side and agree with the pick.

I don't like it at all. Jordy Nelsen. I knew who he was, he has like a 125 catch senior year. But why do we need a WR? Driver will still be solid for a couple years and we have 2 good young players too. He was like the 6 best WR on many boards.

Then we take Brohm. I can understand the value but why did we take him and not try to trade the pick? Now Rodgers will feel even more pressure. You can tell him Brohm doesn't change anything but he still will feel pressure.

I just don't get it. TT usually does great in the middle to late rounds, but it seems like he blows the first pick. I won't give up on Harrell yet, but that was a reach that is looking like a bust.

I just don't get it.

I am extremely happy to have two of my guys drafted by the Pack. It was mostly wishful thinking for Brohm coming to the Packers. Nelson was a surprise, looking at what we have, but in hindsight I dont think we can go wrong having an athlete like that on our team. All in all, good day. Look for a tight end in the fourth.

remotecontroller is an entirely uneducated fan. Trust Ted and the highly paid scouts. Just because WR isnt listed as a position of need and the analysts werent drooling over Nelson means nothing. He is an excellent player that will add something to this team. Maybe the dividends wont pay off immediately, but this guy is a gamer and will be a long term asset.

Seems like you have the syndrome that a different board has.

Just to follow the scout and believe in the GM is sort of dumb. Yea they get paid and are pros so they could do a better job than me. But as a fan its alright to look at this and be like WHAT THE FOCK?.......if every fan just believed and trusted in their GM, there would be a lot of disappointed fans out there. TT has done very well. But between this and the Harrell pick I just don't know where he is going.

sweetness thinks its smarter to go after a veteran bum like brian griese..how did THAT work out for chicago?

lets see...rookie qb that played a lot of games at night and on ESPN vs a bum who was drunk and fell down steps and lied and said it was tripping over his dog... :headbanger:

why dont people like it?

i dont think its dumb to agree with the GM...i am a seahawks fan and ive had my better seahawks years thanks to TTs draft moves..the guy is a winner...

as for the so-called fab 5...k-rob is 1 slip up away from being gone for a year..and driver is always banged up going over the middle...

if this was a so-so player..then TT wouldve passed..but this is a guy who TT mustve did backflips over..how can u NOT? seattle shouldve taken him..but they must be allergic to sure handed recievers... :thumbsup:

ive always been a brohm fan...and who cares about pressure on rodgers? boo hoo...hes made A LOT of money just sitting around...hes going to have pressure if he has to replace brett...theres NOTHING wrong with him being pushed...brohm has played a lot of games on espn at night..natl audience on thursdays..hes solid and if mccarthy coveted him, he doesnt suck...

no one cares what pro football weekly had brohm ranked at or who fanball or someone else has them ranked...TT isnt drafting guys like harrell to be stars NOW....2 years from now, harrell will be a great pick....

you know that feeling at the fantasy draft when u look at your list and see that guy u want..but cant believe hes there?..u think..wtf? did i forget to scratch his name off?...id ask someone but dont want to tip off that i want him(or remind people that hes out there)...and your stomach turns as u think..PLEASE..he slipped THIS far...let him get to me...

i think thats how TT felt when brohm was out there...

and when shaun alexander signs next week...people are gonna crap themselves..as TT wants him back IF shaun agrees to come cheap(which he should..no more leverage)...

Rogers has only played one half of one game and it was against a prevent defence in a losing effort. While he may or may not be a competent starter, to have blind faith in him and not want to get a decent other qb on board is just foolish. The Brohm pick was very good and it also kept him from Det or Chi who were coming up early in the 3rd round.

The WR pick was a head scratcher that early and I would say was a bad choice - not because of the player (who knows if he works out?), but in reality, they didnt need to draft a single wr this year. The age and depth they have is fine. TE or another lineman would have been a better choice. They did get the CB later which was another good pick to start planning for the transition from aging Woodson and Harris.

It was a very strong 2nd round this year, so the trade down was also a good move.

:thumbsup:

....and Rodgers has done much more???? Let's see............2 qtrs so far. There were two players that Dallas got last year and the TE from Chicago that would have sufficed. I hope Rodgers pans out, but he did get another Qb just in case. As close as the Pack is they needed players for today. Bennett was the no brainer pick when we took Lee. Molden is still out there and he can do anything lee can. The draft(day 1) was an abortion plain and simple. Day 2 is where TT does real well, and he'll likely do that again. he has plenty of picks. I hope he grabs Caleb Campbell from here in the 6th at Safety. Then all will be forgiven.

This is like most years. I am usually very disappointed with the first days picks and I express that here out of frustration, and have fun with it. To have Fumble, CMH both come in here and say Korky is a player really helps, but I can't see how he could be the best player on the board right then.

As you can see by my last post, That is just about when the booze puts me out, and thank goodness I quit posting! ha ha!

It's all good, and it was fun again. Hopefully TT pulls his day 2 magic again!

I really don't get it at all. I just don't understand.

I'm not one of these guys who are gonna look on the bright side and agree with the pick.

I don't like it at all. Jordy Nelsen. I knew who he was, he has like a 125 catch senior year. But why do we need a WR? Driver will still be solid for a couple years and we have 2 good young players too. He was like the 6 best WR on many boards.

Then we take Brohm. I can understand the value but why did we take him and not try to trade the pick? Now Rodgers will feel even more pressure. You can tell him Brohm doesn't change anything but he still will feel pressure.

I just don't get it. TT usually does great in the middle to late rounds, but it seems like he blows the first pick. I won't give up on Harrell yet, but that was a reach that is looking like a bust.

I just don't get it.

TT has always been a guy who has created competition at positions. It has worked out quite well in some instances...why would he not do it at the QB position when a guy falls to him...in the 2nd round?

As for WR. I agree with some sentiment I have read that this will probably be the end of Koren Robinson in Green Bay.

With Ruvell signing an extension and the trio of Driver, Jennings, and Jones. Krob seems likely to be the odd man out.

Seems like you have the syndrome that a different board has.

Just to follow the scout and believe in the GM is sort of dumb. Yea they get paid and are pros so they could do a better job than me. But as a fan its alright to look at this and be like WHAT THE FOCK?.......if every fan just believed and trusted in their GM, there would be a lot of disappointed fans out there. TT has done very well. But between this and the Harrell pick I just don't know where he is going.

You mean the Harrell pick that allowed him to get that 2nd rounder (that he used on Brohm) for Corey Williams?

Rogers has only played one half of one game and it was against a prevent defence in a losing effort. While he may or may not be a competent starter, to have blind faith in him and not want to get a decent other qb on board is just foolish. The Brohm pick was very good and it also kept him from Det or Chi who were coming up early in the 3rd round.

Prevent defenses blitz alot? Hmm...I have never seen that.

The WR pick was a head scratcher that early and I would say was a bad choice - not because of the player (who knows if he works out?), but in reality, they didnt need to draft a single wr this year. The age and depth they have is fine. TE or another lineman would have been a better choice. They did get the CB later which was another good pick to start planning for the transition from aging Woodson and Harris.

It was a very strong 2nd round this year, so the trade down was also a good move.

TT wanted the guy...it was his guy...

I don't think he thought any of the linemen left were worth it. I kind of think he hoped one of the tackles would have fallen in the 1st. When they did not...he traded down and got the next player on his board anyway.

TE is one where it may seem like they need a guy...but they may not feel it as a big need. Lee was very good last year and they have a guy coming back from injury as well.

I think today will be Oline strong for GB.

....and Rodgers has done much more???? Let's see............2 qtrs so far. There were two players that Dallas got last year and the TE from Chicago that would have sufficed. I hope Rodgers pans out, but he did get another Qb just in case. As close as the Pack is they needed players for today. Bennett was the no brainer pick when we took Lee. Molden is still out there and he can do anything lee can. The draft(day 1) was an abortion plain and simple. Day 2 is where TT does real well, and he'll likely do that again. he has plenty of picks. I hope he grabs Caleb Campbell from here in the 6th at Safety. Then all will be forgiven.

This is like most years. I am usually very disappointed with the first days picks and I express that here out of frustration, and have fun with it. To have Fumble, CMH both come in here and say Korky is a player really helps, but I can't see how he could be the best player on the board right then.

As you can see by my last post, That is just about when the booze puts me out, and thank goodness I quit posting! ha ha!

It's all good, and it was fun again. Hopefully TT pulls his day 2 magic again!

Rodgers has been learning to play the position. Go look at the comments on him each camp and see how that worked out. 2 years ago he was nothing...all of a sudden this training camp the coaches were talking about how much he has grown and how much better he looks. He was not asked to come in right away...a DE like everyone wanted...would have been. 3 years later and Im not even sure if Matt Roth is even in the league anymore.

TE...yeah...cause Lee had such a terrible year right?

Needed players for today? The problem is...you don't get many of those players in the draft. These are rookies. Most of them are not ready to come in today. You get those players in free agency (even the later stages of it where TT likes to shop and find gems).

That some TE was supposedly a no brainer? Why? Is he a great blocking TE? Because that is what they need more than anything. And just about every scout has called this a weak class when it comes to TEs that can block.

An abortion? Why? Because you don't like the WR they got? Because you don't like getting a very talented QB in the 2nd round?

Kirwan's got it right. TT does it again.

Packers get value

9:01 PM ET

NFL.com - Pat Kirwan

The Packers are doing a great job in the second round. They keep on getting good players for a bargain price. They were able to select Jordy Nelson, Brian Brohm and Patrick Leethree - both productive players - for the same cost of the 30th pick they were originally slated to have. That is called great value.

You are much better at analyzing LOST than the draft. Stick to what you are good at.

It's just drunken fallout from losing to Green Bay in the playoffs last season. And for Seattle having such a lousy one.

Good luck with the rest of your picks.

I like the Brohm pick.... :thumbsup:

Even with Favre's retirement, it assures the Packers that they still have the two best quarterbacks in the NFC North :thumbsdown:

I like the Brohm pick.... :thumbsup:

Even with Favre's retirement, it assures the Packers that they still have the two best quarterbacks in the NFC North :thumbsdown:

I can almost remember when I had hopes and dreams about a young unproven QB. ;)