Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2008 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Green Bay Packers

TE...yeah...cause Lee had such a terrible year right?

Bennett is one of the top TE blockers EVER. Read up on him! ......and he can catch. Lee did fine, but Franks is gone, and you need two.

TT needs to address both lines today, and he needs a FB. It's just too bad we didn't get the TE we needed yesterday.

Bennett is one of the top TE blockers EVER. Read up on him! ......and he can catch. Lee did fine, but Franks is gone, and you need two.

TT needs to address both lines today, and he needs a FB. It's just too bad we didn't get the TE we needed yesterday.

huh?

Bennett isn't an elite run-blocker and doesnt have great top-end speed.

That is the first thing I read on him.

They have Humphreys coming back and I expect him to take a TE today.

Oline will be big. Dline will not be as big of an issue...maybe another end.

huh?

That is the first thing I read on him.

They have Humphreys coming back and I expect him to take a TE today.

Oline will be big. Dline will not be as big of an issue...maybe another end.

Overview

This former Texas high school basketball star does not play like one on the football field. Bennett's not the fastest tight end in this draft, but the combination of his receiving and blocking skills are what make him coveted by NFL teams. There are probably few college tight ends in recent history who have averaged four catches (49 for 587 yards and four touchdowns) and more than five knockdown blocks (67) per game.

Analysis

Positives: Very tall with long arms and big hands. … Lines up in the slot, in motion and on the line. … Adjusts well to poorly thrown balls. … Stays down coming out of stance to get a release. … Not just a receiver, he's good enough in-line to handle defensive ends and linebackers. … Releases downfield quickly, even when chipping an end on the way out. … Gets pads down to make it more difficult to tackle him in the open field. … Fights for extra yardage.

Negatives: Lacks great straight-line speed needed to get separation from NFL linebackers and safeties. … Not sudden into or out of breaks, and will round them off. … Does not always secure the ball. … Uses body to catch the ball at times. … Doesn't always adjust to late-coming blitzers in pass protection."

So...he is not the best blocker ever...he is not the no brainer that you claimed.

Thanks for proving that you are off of your rocker.

Sho you are such a sheep, both politically and when it comes to your God TT. He isn't perfect and you will never admit that or anything. Name one time you have ever admited any mistake you made on the board. You are a joke the way you fall in line with what the Dems or Your Gen Manager say! Use your own head once!

Seems like you have the syndrome that a different board has.

Just to follow the scout and believe in the GM is sort of dumb. Yea they get paid and are pros so they could do a better job than me. But as a fan its alright to look at this and be like WHAT THE FOCK?.......if every fan just believed and trusted in their GM, there would be a lot of disappointed fans out there. TT has done very well. But between this and the Harrell pick I just don't know where he is going.

Why would anyone trust a guy who built a team from 4-12 to the NFC Championship game in two years. The difference between fans and GMs is that fans look at this year and GMs look at the franchise for years to come.

Sho you are such a sheep, both politically and when it comes to your God TT. He isn't perfect and you will never admit that or anything. Name one time you have ever admited any mistake you made on the board. You are a joke the way you fall in line with what the Dems or Your Gen Manager say! Use your own head once!

He is not my God. I stated that I thought it was early for Nelson and I did not know much about him.

What the Dems say?

Im a sheep and you try claiming I listen and fall in line with the dems? You might want to read more about what I have posted politically if you think that.

I don't think there is anyway the draft TE in round 1.

In fact, I predict they'll draft Jermichael Finely later.

No to toot my own horn but....

Stick with me boys, you might learn something....

No to toot my own horn but....

Stick with me boys, you might learn something....

Nice work :thumbsup:

I predicted you would come up lame to redtodd's show....

What do I get? :overhead:

Nice work :thumbsup:

I predicted you would come up lame to redtodd's show....

What do I get? :overhead:

Nothing. I hate you.

Nothing. I hate you.

small town northern Wisconsin hick comic redtodd finally gets a break and gets to play a major venue and you can't even support him... :thumbsup:

Alright... That's the last time I mention it...

Who are the Packers taking next, Nostradamus??

My take on Nelson is that the only real knock I can see on him is that he is a 4.5 guy rather than a 4.4 guy. But, some guys play better on the field than their measurables. Jennings is an example. Jerry Rice is the ultimate example (please don't mistake that statement for a comparison, obviously it is not). 4.4 to 4.5 is not a factor for a possession receiver. His productivity shows me that, on the field, he's a player. I think he could have been had later in the 2nd round, but I am pleased to have him.

And, I love the Brohm pick. Rodgers better not break a fingernail or he may never see the field again for the Pack. I didn't expect him to be there at our first round pick (traded), let alone in the second. Give him weapons, which GB has and he could be huge.

TT is building a monster team IMHO.

Like the draft pretty much cept for Nelson. At the time there were WR's galore to be had in the 2nd, would of rather seen another trade down, different pick and then a trade up for Linus Sweed---who I think will be a better player.

Only other player I really hoped the Packers might get was Justin King---hope Blackmon can get over the injury jinx. When he's made it on the field he looks capable, can't take any more of Jarret Bush.

Like the draft pretty much cept for Nelson.

I disagree... The Packers have struggled to fill the Caucasion Wide Receiver Role for quite some time right now since the departure of billy schroeder :overhead:

Plus, I got a sweet kansas state hat from Mike on a Badger bet, so now I'm a huge fan. :thumbsup:

Like the draft pretty much cept for Nelson. At the time there were WR's galore to be had in the 2nd, would of rather seen another trade down, different pick and then a trade up for Linus Sweed---who I think will be a better player.

Only other player I really hoped the Packers might get was Justin King---hope Blackmon can get over the injury jinx. When he's made it on the field he looks capable, can't take any more of Jarret Bush.

I do not question TT's WR choices. D jackson, Murphy, Jennings and Jones....that's a good track record.

The DB they did draft seems like a great fit. I don't know much about him, but sounds like he is a good bump and run corner.

He is not my God. I stated that I thought it was early for Nelson and I did not know much about him.

What the Dems say?

Im a sheep and you try claiming I listen and fall in line with the dems? You might want to read more about what I have posted politically if you think that.

I apologize for my attacks. They weren't called for. Sho, I fly by wire, and many times regret what I say. This is one of those times. I'm sorry.

Re: Packers 1st day draft:

Viewed as a whole, I rate the Packers 1st day as an "A".

1. I liked the trade down, because this is a DEEP draft. From approx 1.20 through the 4th round, there is not a real lot of seperation in talent.

2. Jordy Nelson. This was the suprise pick which many have questioned. But remember there were truly no 1st round WRS in this years draft, and the top 10 WRs have very little to seperate them. Having said that, Nelson is one of the more complete, well rounded WRs on the board, even though he lacks experience at WR. His 1st 2 years he was a DB, and he was injured for much of his Jr year (knee injury - PCL), so he was a relatively unknown commodity at WR prior to this year. Mayock and quite a few others were very high on him. He has great size and is quite athletic, has adequate speed but he is not a burner. But the kid has few weaknesses and apparently shot up a number of draft boards based on senior year film study. After drafting Jennings and James, I question anyone who doesn't trust Thompson's view that Nelson rates in the top end of the draft class.

3. Perhaps the steal of the draft, many had Bohm rated ahead of Fiacco as the #2 QB in this draft. He is one of the few QBs that many thought could have been an early NFL starter. He has great leadership qualities, and is an extremely smart, accurate QB who is a great fit for the Packers west coast offense. Will provide strong competition for Rodgers, and great depth.

4. Patrick Lee - He is a physical CB who fits the Packers system. The Packers took a chance that there would still be a starting calibre CB left in an extremely deep CB class, and they were rewarded with one of the last of the tier.

All in all a great 1st day. Their remainind "need' position is TE, and I just heard they took the Finley from Texas, who is a Bubba Franks type - does every facet of TE well, but will not stretch the field from the TE spot. Needs to be 'coached up' on blocking technique. Came out as a Junior. (Some think he was one of the most under-rated TEs in the draft, and would have gone higher if he had stayed in college). Considering they have Lee, it seems like a good selection to me.

That would be Nelson toasting Talib.

Yes...its just one highlight...but at least it is promising. Though...Talib might have just been high for this play.

Re: Packers 1st day draft:

Viewed as a whole, I rate the Packers 1st day as an "A".

1. I liked the trade down, because this is a DEEP draft. From approx 1.20 through the 4th round, there is not a real lot of seperation in talent.

2. Jordy Nelson. This was the suprise pick which many have questioned. But remember there were truly no 1st round WRS in this years draft, and the top 10 WRs have very little to seperate them. Having said that, Nelson is one of the more complete, well rounded WRs on the board, even though he lacks experience at WR. His 1st 2 years he was a DB, and he was injured for much of his Jr year (knee injury - PCL), so he was a relatively unknown commodity at WR prior to this year. Mayock and quite a few others were very high on him. He has great size and is quite athletic, has adequate speed but he is not a burner. But the kid has few weaknesses and apparently shot up a number of draft boards based on senior year film study. After drafting Jennings and James, I question anyone who doesn't trust Thompson's view that Nelson rates in the top end of the draft class.

3. Perhaps the steal of the draft, many had Bohm rated ahead of Fiacco as the #2 QB in this draft. He is one of the few QBs that many thought could have been an early NFL starter. He has great leadership qualities, and is an extremely smart, accurate QB who is a great fit for the Packers west coast offense. Will provide strong competition for Rodgers, and great depth.

4. Patrick Lee - He is a physical CB who fits the Packers system. The Packers took a chance that there would still be a starting calibre CB left in an extremely deep CB class, and they were rewarded with one of the last of the tier.

All in all a great 1st day. Their remainind "need' position is TE, and I just heard they took the Finley from Texas, who is a Bubba Franks type - does every facet of TE well, but will not stretch the field from the TE spot. Needs to be 'coached up' on blocking technique. Came out as a Junior. (Some think he was one of the most under-rated TEs in the draft, and would have gone higher if he had stayed in college). Considering they have Lee, it seems like a good selection to me.

:doublethumbsup: Good analysis, in-line with my thinking. The true fans need to step back and realize that we are adding foundation to an NFC championship team. I am happy with this draft and have had three of these guys on my wish list.

Looking at the trades:

Trade 1

GB #30 To NY Jets for Nos. 36 & 113.

Pick #30= 620 pts

Pick #36= 540 pts

Pick #113= 68 pts

Total= 608 pts

Packers -12

Trade 2

Get NYJ #102 for GB Nos. 113 & 162

Pick #102 = 92 pts

Pick #113 = 68 pts

Pick #162 = 26.6 pts

Total = 94.6 pts

Packers -2.6

Trade 3

GB #137 to Minnesota Vikings for Nos. 150 & 209

Pick #137 = 37.5 pts

Pick #150 = 31.4 pts

Pick #209 = 7.8 pts

Total = 39.2 pts

Packers + 1.7

Personally I dont like trading with teams within our division. If JDB turns out to be a good player, the Packers are responsible for enabling it. Also we should have got an extra 7th rounder trading our first.

Personally I dont like trading with teams within our division. If JDB turns out to be a good player, the Packers are responsible for enabling it. Also we should have got an extra 7th rounder trading our first.

Looks like they were going to trade up to get him no matter what they did...so might as well take an extra pick from them.

sidenote...im looking forward to walking with my sister over to lambeau for a practice and seeing rookies that are big name players....

aj hawk was a big name..but justin harrell?...jennings was nice also..but he wasnt really known...

even the casual fan has heard of the packs first 2 picks...my sister only watches fb because her hubby does and knew brohm from always being on espn on thursdays...

good draft for jersey sales :pointstosky:

That would be Nelson toasting Talib.

Yes...its just one highlight...but at least it is promising. Though...Talib might have just been high for this play.

From what I've read, he's got good game speed. Not in biker shorts at the combine but in pads.

Why would anyone trust a guy who built a team from 4-12 to the NFC Championship game in two years. The difference between fans and GMs is that fans look at this year and GMs look at the franchise for years to come.

My thoughts exactly. TT's obviously an idiot and anyone who believes in his choices is being blindly led to the slaughter. He obviously knows nothing about talent just based on the last couple of drafts. They've gotten no production out of those players and they're lousy record in that time proves it. :thumbsup:

TT wanted the guy...it was his guy...

I don't think he thought any of the linemen left were worth it. I kind of think he hoped one of the tackles would have fallen in the 1st. When they did not...he traded down and got the next player on his board anyway.

I think they would have happily have taken Cason too, but he was gone and anything else they wanted would have been too much of a reach. At least they didn't take Jordy at 1.30 :overhead:

Bottom line, is they got one of their favorite WRs in the draft. It wasn't a good need pick, but if you are looking at say the 3rd best WR in the draft of the 6th best CB, or the 8th best OT... you take the better player and build your team around your strengths.

Same with Brohm - no way he should have been there late in the second, so you take what you are given and adjust. Maybe we end up with multiple QBs worthy of starting and trade one away next year. When you consistently build your team to have depth, you can afford to do those types of things instead of desperately trying to plug rookies into gaping holes in your lineup.

I think they would have happily have taken Cason too, but he was gone and anything else they wanted would have been too much of a reach. At least they didn't take Jordy at 1.30 :overhead:

Bottom line, is they got one of their favorite WRs in the draft. It wasn't a good need pick, but if you are looking at say the 3rd best WR in the draft of the 6th best CB, or the 8th best OT... you take the better player and build your team around your strengths.

Same with Brohm - no way he should have been there late in the second, so you take what you are given and adjust. Maybe we end up with multiple QBs worthy of starting and trade one away next year. When you consistently build your team to have depth, you can afford to do those types of things instead of desperately trying to plug rookies into gaping holes in your lineup.

I wonder if Brandon Flowers was the real pick here and KC grabbed him in front of GB.

I wonder if Brandon Flowers was the real pick here and KC grabbed him in front of GB.

At his size and with what GB likes to do with corners. I doubt it.

I understand not drafting for need...and drafting BPA, but I just wonder if Nelson was the BPA at that spot. I'm going to say no. He may very well end up being our #2 receiver in a couple years, maybe even our #3 by the end of this year. But the more I think about it the more confused I am with this pick. I would've been happy with Kenny Phillips, but perhaps TT is happy with the safety position right now. He could've landed Nelson at pick #60...although I do hear other teams were pretty high on him.

Patrick Lee seems to be kind of an unknown. I don't think he'll be the nickel back to start the season, but he may finish the season in that spot. He seems to have huge upside...but also the potential to be another Carroll.

I think Finley will contribute the most of all the rookies this season. Actually I think he and Jordy could really improve our Redzone Offense. Finely doesn't semem like much of a blocker, but he has the physical tools to make a big impact as the #2 TE...depending on Torry Humphreys return. I like the Brohm pick alot. It's always good to have a quality backup QB, and if ARod gets hurt or doesn't pan out, we have another quality young guy to throw in there. I don't think he threatens ARod for the starting spot...but if Rodgers gets injured I could see him stealing it. Kiper keeps saying that the drafting of Brohm means the Packers don't like Rodgers...I don't see it that way.

I really like Thompson, the DE pick. The DLine rotation should be interesting this year, with the addition of Thompson and Harrell, and minus Williams. I'm especially excited to see how Harrell can perform when healthy. If he performs up to the standard as when he was drafted...our DLine could be greatly improved, even with the loss of Corey.

I don't know too much about the Olineman we got, except that the one we drafted in the 4th was expected to go undrafted by alot of "experts". However, I've also read he was the only guy who might get a starting job thi season....although I don't see how thats possible.

I think if they wanted Flowers, they would have just taken him at 1.30.