Sign in to follow this  
pimptastic69

I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle

I live about 2 miles from work, and the '93 Exploder seems like overkill, so I was thinking of riding a bike ( :thumbsdown: ) or buying a motorcycle. Only problem with the motorcycle is that I've never been on one before.

Where do I start? How does one learn how to ride and purchase a motorcycle?

I would find someone who has a dirtbike and have them explain it to you. Keep in mind that people don't see bikes as well and tend to cut you off a lot.

I am 46 now. I have only ever attempted to ride one once. I took that Yamaha 250 exactly 25 ft. , through two garbage cans and straight into the wall of my buddies garage. I hung it up at 16. :wub:

I would find someone who has a dirtbike and have them explain it to you. Keep in mind that people don't see bikes as well and tend to cut you off a lot.

That's my biggest worry, but compared to the bicycle, I think I'd feel safer on the motorcycle. It's not like I'd be driving this thing all the time - only to work and back, with only one intersection in my way.

Take a motorcycle safety course. They'll teach you how to ride. It's not just jumping on and treating it like a bike.

Take a motorcycle safety course. They'll teach you how to ride. It's not just jumping on and treating it like a bike.

That would be awesome, but I don't currently own a motorcycle.

That's my biggest worry, but compared to the bicycle, I think I'd feel safer on the motorcycle. It's not like I'd be driving this thing all the time - only to work and back, with only one intersection in my way.

One of my best friends from high school in a helicopter pilot in the army and he has been riding motorcycles for 20 years. He had an old lady pull out in front of him last year on his way home. She tried to shoot across an intersection with a 2 way stop. Apparently she did not see him being that she was 90. He hit her broadside and flew 200+ feet off his bike. Totaled his bike, cracked his helmet, broke his arm,ankle and had to have shoulder surgery to repair a nerve. He was supposed to be deployed to iraq with his unit and could not. He has not even been in a chopper since his accident.

The moral of the story is that bikes are dangerous. Be careful and don't treat it like a toy. Keep in mind that you have much less room for error on a bike than you do with a car.

That would be awesome, but I don't currently own a motorcycle.

The MSC courses do no require a motorcycle- they are provided as part of the course.

Friday night in a class going over the basics

Saturday on a motorcycle at the riding course.

Saturday evening written exam

Sunday practice riding followed by riding exam

If you pass you receive a certificate to take to the DMV. You do not need to take the state written or riding test if you have passed the class.

Passing the course also gives you a 5 or 10% discount on your insurance.

One of my best friends from high school in a helicopter pilot in the army and he has been riding motorcycles for 20 years. He had an old lady pull out in front of him last year on his way home. She tried to shoot across an intersection with a 2 way stop. Apparently she did not see him being that she was 90. He hit her broadside and flew 200+ feet off his bike. Totaled his bike, cracked his helmet, broke his arm,ankle and had to have shoulder surgery to repair a nerve. He was supposed to be deployed to iraq with his unit and could not. He has not even been in a chopper since his accident.

The moral of the story is that bikes are dangerous. Be careful and don't treat it like a toy. Keep in mind that you have much less room for error on a bike than you do with a car.

I confused.

So what your saying is that I'd be better on a bicycle? I realize the death and destruction that comes with riding a bike, but I'm not going to make it a lifestyle. Just trying to save on gas.

Honestly, I'd feel safer on a motorcycle because it can go along with the flow of traffic, whereas the bicycle is hindering traffic.

The MSC courses do no require a motorcycle- they are provided as part of the course.

Friday night in a class going over the basics

Saturday on a motorcycle at the riding course.

Saturday evening written exam

Sunday practice riding followed by riding exam

If you pass you receive a certificate to take to the DMV. You do not need to take the state written or riding test if you have passed the class.

Passing the course also gives you a 5 or 10% discount on your insurance.

Is this a standard thing among states? Cuz that would be freakin' awesome! Exactly what I'm looking for.

Before you buy a bike- check with your insurance carrier- my car insurance would not cover a sport bike. I had to go to progressive.

When I picked up a Harley, the insurance was no problem. $130 a year.

Go figure.

I confused.

So what your saying is that I'd be better on a bicycle? I realize the death and destruction that comes with riding a bike, but I'm not going to make it a lifestyle. Just trying to save on gas.

Honestly, I'd feel safer on a motorcycle because it can go along with the flow of traffic, whereas the bicycle is hindering traffic.

Nope not at all. I am saying there is more that goes into riding a motorcycle than just jumping on and that even experianced riders are taken off guard sometimes. Be sure you are comfortable on it before you take it on the road.

Almost every state has a rider safety course that will have motorcycles for you to learn on. That is the only way to go for a beginner. Most times the wait list to get in a class is long so look into it early on your states DMV website.

Even if your state does not have a helmet law. Wear a helmet. It can save your life. I know bikes are dangerous, yeah yeah. Cars are dangerous too. But really stupid people on bikes and in cars are the real danger. Be safe take a class and enjoy the ride.

Check Learn to Ride.org or Craigslist under Motorcycles.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/672425895.html

Ok- that specific MSC is only in the Nashville area- there should be others available in your area.

Take the class- spend money on a good helmet. I strongly believe a good helmet saved my life in an accident I was involved in.

spend money on a good helmet

and gloves. There is only one place you can't get a skin graft - your palms. And guess what's the first thing you put down in a wreck.

Thank you all for the tips, but Wifey about blew a gasket when I mentioned the MC word. :ballsinsling: :sleep:

I didn't even get to tell her about my idea of the carseats in the sidecar. (Obviously a joke, but it didn't even get close to that.)

Thank you all for the tips, but Wifey about blew a gasket when I mentioned the MC word. :ballsinsling: :sleep:

I didn't even get to tell her about my idea of the carseats in the sidecar. (Obviously a joke, but it didn't even get close to that.)

Don't tell her.

I think Toro and Old School were the ones who posted it, but yes, get and take a training course.

They'll provide you with a bike. Call your local DMV. They'll know where you can take this course.

Motorcycles are obviously more dangerous. You just have to pay more attention.

9 times out of 10, people who are in accidents are either a)drunk or drinking, b)not paying close enough attention, c)driving beyond their or the motorcycles limits.

Yes, you have to watch EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. You can't assume that dude saw you and isn't going to pull out in front of you. Assumption will get you dead.

Other than that, I've been riding since I was 13...I'm 37. I've never dumped my bike and never been in an accident because I always look.

With gas prices going through the roof I'd love to buy a cheap old motorcycle. Hell, it would pay for itself in under a year. But the thought of being a quadriplegic the rest of my life scares me straight.

I'm not saying don't get a bike, BUT, don't ride during commuter hours. People just don't pay attention in the morning or at 5pm. A bicycle would be better for you, healthier and safer.

Good luck. :cheers:

You guys are a bunch of phags.

"don't ride during commuting hours...you might get a boo boo"

WTF....grow a set already.