Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

3rd Round Commentary

Yeah, I'm surprised that Holt fell this far, and was really tempted to take him at my spot if Bush were a more solid #1 RB.

Wow there are some surprising RBs coming off the board that I see with little upside. There have been a few guys drafted so far that I would never touch no matter where they fell.

Fantasy King - the point of a mock like this is to get your open and honest feedback about the picks taken so far. I'd love to hear (and probably the other mockers) who you wouldn't have touched/taken so far in the draft, and the reason why. That will help us when we get into some real drafts in the next couple of months

We've already started talking about Ronnie and Laurence, so are those the two you're referring to, or are there others?

Great Scott!!!

Jacobs was my next selection if he made it to the 4th round. Great pick here and very good value.

like Jacobs pick...actually considered him at my spot but wanted to get a WR.

if he had somehow fell to my 4th rnd pick would have strongly considered him even with 2 other RBs in tow.

i was really hoping maroney would fall but fumble grabbed him 2 picks before me.

i'm pretty happy with parker there. i got barber for the TDs and willie for the yardage.

with the way my draft is falling so far i'll probably pick up another RB soon

i strongly considered holt at my pick and even had his name typed in at one point, but it was just too many safe guys to start with. i think hes a safe bet for yet another 1200/8 season and an awesome pickup at the end of the 3rd. he is the new marvin harrison, sans a few TDs. or, i saw someone earlier said that braylon edwards is the new torry holt. i say torry holt is the new torry holt. he'll be overlooked and fall too far and make for a nice value, as you got him.

to be fair, when i almost took him, i was taking him as the safe pick. i considered 4 WRs there and he was definitely my lowest of the 3 but also had the least downside. i have him just on the edge of the top 10, right now slightly on the outside looking in.

with the way my draft is falling so far i'll probably pick up another RB soon

Shhh...don't tip your hand. :dunno:

By the way, I've e-mailed Clash, but if he doesn't show up until tonight or early tomorrow, I don't think it's a big deal.

We've made one helluva start on the first day (3 rounds down), and if we make that much progress tomorrow, we're in awesome shape to have this done early next week.

Great commentary so far. I'll get my "halfway through the draft" analysis started and post it towards the end of the day tomorrow or this weekend based on where we stand.

Jacobs was the other back, along with Brown, that was considered at 3.05. He and brown had upside on Edge. I went with Edge because of the lack of company for carries and injury concerns on both brown and Jacobs. I had all three of them targeted and could have justified any of them. I just wanted steady, 16 game output, and that swayed me to Edge. Great value on Jacobs JScott. You have to be happy with what has tumbled your way in the first and third.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Holt fell this far, and was really tempted to take him at my spot if Bush were a more solid #1 RB.

Fantasy King - the point of a mock like this is to get your open and honest feedback about the picks taken so far. I'd love to hear (and probably the other mockers) who you wouldn't have touched/taken so far in the draft, and the reason why. That will help us when we get into some real drafts in the next couple of months

We've already started talking about Ronnie and Laurence, so are those the two you're referring to, or are there others?

Think Holt was a steal this late.

Ok maybe I was a bit off in that last post - but Jamal Lewis and Edgerrin James are pretty average backs at this point in their career. I would not touch them because they have no real upside. Edge gets pulled at the goal line. Neither are very involved in the passing game. Jamal Lewis is going to have 70 yards or less ypg in almost half of his games like he did last year. Both are up there in age. I can see why they were picked, they will get the majority of the team's carries for sure but they will have many average to below average weeks.

I would not touch Ronnie Brown but I don't think it was a bad pick, he has HUGE upside. He was just starting to get rolling when he got injured but this is a very risky pick considering his injury. I would not take this high risk so early in a draft.

Brandon Jacobs - if there is one thing he has proven it's that he can't stay healthy and he also let it show that he is probably the 3rd best RB on the team.

Reggie Bush, MJD, Maroney - not the greatest last year but huge upside and could take many teams to their fantasy championships.

Just my gut this year, the first few guys I mention I feel would be nothing but a headache. You can't get much trade value for them and you would be struggling to figure out what weeks they will hit and which weeks they will miss.

i strongly considered holt at my pick and even had his name typed in at one point, but it was just too many safe guys to start with. i think hes a safe bet for yet another 1200/8 season and an awesome pickup at the end of the 3rd. he is the new marvin harrison, sans a few TDs. or, i saw someone earlier said that braylon edwards is the new torry holt. i say torry holt is the new torry holt. he'll be overlooked and fall too far and make for a nice value, as you got him.

to be fair, when i almost took him, i was taking him as the safe pick. i considered 4 WRs there and he was definitely my lowest of the 3 but also had the least downside. i have him just on the edge of the top 10, right now slightly on the outside looking in.

To follow up on my earlier comment Bomb, I had Marshall, Plax and Holt as the 3 WRs virtually even. Like you Holt was ranked 3rd or the 3.

Holt was the steal of this round, in my opinion. Even with bruce gone, Holt will be worth the 3rd round cost and much more. It isn't him that people are worried about on that team. It's whether the Qb can stay off of his butt, and that's where SJax has to come into play.

Course he couldn't like: Jamal Anderson, Edge, TD, Edwards.

That's less than 50% of doing well...don't like the odds.

All of those injuries you noted occurred nearly a decade ago. What are the most recent statistics because obviously the medical science with respect to knee injuries is getting better and it's reflected in quicker return rates this decade, I think.

Shhh...don't tip your hand. :dunno:

By the way, I've e-mailed Clash, but if he doesn't show up until tonight or early tomorrow, I don't think it's a big deal.

We've made one helluva start on the first day (3 rounds down), and if we make that much progress tomorrow, we're in awesome shape to have this done early next week.

Great commentary so far. I'll get my "halfway through the draft" analysis started and post it towards the end of the day tomorrow or this weekend based on where we stand.

It will still be real nice to see Clash swing in here soon and make his 2 picks.

for the record, ronnie brown is lower ranked on my RB list than he was selected as an overall pick in this mock. :dunno:

im interested, if everyone agrees holt was such a steal, why did he fall past like 6 of you after the obvious WR dropoff?

It will still be real nice to see Clash swing in here soon and make his 2 picks.

we'll see about that. :dunno:

for the record, ronnie brown is lower ranked on my RB list than he was selected as an overall pick in this mock. :dunno:

im interested, if everyone agrees holt was such a steal, why did he fall past like 6 of you after the obvious WR dropoff?

Qb staying healthy concerns, and Sjax's swoon season last year is my guess. Should be a good 3rd round steal though.

alright everyone. i see 9 guys that i would be happy with at my next pick, and there are exactly 9 picks before i get to go again. you know what to do. :dunno:

Qb staying healthy concerns, and Sjax's swoon season last year is my guess. Should be a good 3rd round steal though.

he put up nearly identical numbers to the previous season though, minus a few TDs and a whopping one yard. but a year ago he was a consistent 2.8-2.10 pick.

NAn

1.10 Clinton Portis, RB WAS

2.03 Ryan Grant, RB GBP

3.10 Torry Holt, WR STL

JScott

1.11 Frank Gore, RB SFO

2.02 Reggie Wayne, WR IND

3.11 Brandon Jacobs, RB NYG

I like these 2 from the 10 and 11 hole so far!

NAn mentioned he invisioned these as nice slots. So far so good guys!

i have to be honest though, i would never have envisioned jacobs or holt to fall that far in a draft. there have been some head scratching picks from my point of view. i actually expected jacobs to be gone by my 3.4 and holt to be my pick (and he almost was).

he put up nearly identical numbers to the previous season though, minus a few TDs and a whopping one yard. but a year ago he was a consistent 2.8-2.10 pick.

I figure Bruce being gone is also a big part of it. There is more I want to discuss but really can't at this time.

i have to be honest though, i would never have envisioned jacobs or holt to fall that far in a draft. there have been some head scratching picks from my point of view. i actually expected jacobs to be gone by my 3.4 and holt to be my pick (and he almost was).

Jacobs was a 4th rounder last year, and then they found out the Ward and the rookie could ball. To top it off, they pulled Jacobs 6 times for Rueben from the 1. That opened my eyes, and I was Jacobs biggest fan last year.

I was prepared to take any of the other 3 that went right before my pick. With a few more RB options left at the turn I was hoping Holt made it to me so I could be somewhat guaranteed of one of the RBs after the turn. But of those remaining RBs I felt Jacobs was the best option so didn't want to risk losing him to Clash.

As Remote said earlier I'm very happy with the players that have fallen to me. Gore/Wayne/Jacobs is a very nice start from the 11th spot.

Jacobs was a 4th rounder last year, and then they found out the Ward and the rookie could ball. To top it off, they pulled Jacobs 6 times for Rueben from the 1. That opened my eyes, and I was Jacobs biggest fan last year.

Yeah Bomb you and I are off on Jacobs, you thought he went late and I think even at where he was drafted it's too early. He's a RB #3 this year IMO. Same with remote, I was real high on Jacobs last year as well so I really watched him. He will never stay healthy and he gave Ward and Ahmad a chance to shine which will lower his production.

Yeah Bomb you and I are off on Jacobs, you thought he went late and I think even at where he was drafted it's too early. He's a RB #3 this year IMO. Same with remote, I was real high on Jacobs last year as well so I really watched him. He will never stay healthy and he gave Ward and Ahmad a chance to shine which will lower his production.

dont get me wrong, im not saying i thought he was a steal. i just expected him to go higher. he was definitely my 2nd best RB left when i picked at 3.4. i figured the super bowl run and a great playoff for jacobs wouldve left everyone pretty high on him again. i didnt even think i had that great of expectations for him. are we sure last year's injuries are going to keep being repeated? he looks pretty great when hes on the field.

Ok maybe I was a bit off in that last post - but Jamal Lewis and Edgerrin James are pretty average backs at this point in their career. I would not touch them because they have no real upside. Edge gets pulled at the goal line. Neither are very involved in the passing game. Jamal Lewis is going to have 70 yards or less ypg in almost half of his games like he did last year. Both are up there in age. I can see why they were picked, they will get the majority of the team's carries for sure but they will have many average to below average weeks.

I would not touch Ronnie Brown but I don't think it was a bad pick, he has HUGE upside. He was just starting to get rolling when he got injured but this is a very risky pick considering his injury. I would not take this high risk so early in a draft.

Brandon Jacobs - if there is one thing he has proven it's that he can't stay healthy and he also let it show that he is probably the 3rd best RB on the team.

Reggie Bush, MJD, Maroney - not the greatest last year but huge upside and could take many teams to their fantasy championships.

Just my gut this year, the first few guys I mention I feel would be nothing but a headache. You can't get much trade value for them and you would be struggling to figure out what weeks they will hit and which weeks they will miss.

I think you are way off on Jamal, and I will provide a link soon, and to not consider a back who amassed almost 1,500 yards behind a poor line, and scored 7 times, in the third round, with no competition for carries, is a bit misguided. I feel this will be Edge's best year with Arizona, as the line has improved. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/JameEd00-2.php

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/JameEd00-2.php

Jamal was a horse last year, and this offense didn't get worse. 1,500 yards and 11 Td's is pretty FINE, if you ask me!!!! I really don't follow you. With the age of RBBC in full bloom, finding two Rb's that carry the load in the 3rd is almost a commodity in my opinion.

dont get me wrong, im not saying i thought he was a steal. i just expected him to go higher. he was definitely my 2nd best RB left when i picked at 3.4. i figured the super bowl run and a great playoff for jacobs wouldve left everyone pretty high on him again. i didnt even think i had that great of expectations for him. are we sure last year's injuries are going to keep being repeated? he looks pretty great when hes on the field.

When on the field he was a beast everytime he played, but why Droughns got the love 6 times from the 1 really bothers me.

When on the field he was a beast everytime he played, but why Droughns got the love 6 times from the 1 really bothers me.

And that's why I feel Jacobs is a 3rd round back. If he gets those GL carries, he'd easily would have been plucked in the 2nd round. IMO he'll get more TDs this season, so good value late in the 3rd.

i just have to wonder if that was more to do with the fact that he was still so freshly off the injury that they were trying to be careful.

regarding jamal and edge, i personaly wouldve taken jamal at 3.4 if he was there, and i wouldve considered him at 2.9. hes a great RB2 type. his YPC was solid last year, he's got no one to steal carries or goal line touches, and he scores a lot of TDs still and runs behind a great line. i wouldnt have taken edge though. he is my #24 rb. hes simply done at this point. he'll keep getting plenty of carries, but his YPC is dropping each year, hes not catching much anymore in arizona, and he doesnt score many TDs. i dont see the upside or value much there, its about as blase of a RB2 as you could get. granted im going to end up with about the same thing, but probably a full couple of rounds later.

And that's why I feel Jacobs is a 3rd round back. If he gets those GL carries, he'd easily would have been plucked in the 2nd round. IMO he'll get more TDs this season, so good value late in the 3rd.

I agree......he was almost on my squad. A very good 3rd rounder, but with options other than him.

Lewis ended as the #5 overall RB in my league last year. How much upside do you want? He also had 30 catches, 2 for TDs...not a Westbrook or Gore, but he will get some stats through the air...although this is a non PPR mock. Yeah, he's getting long in the tooth, but I think he has a little gas left in the tank.

Lewis has had seven full seasons under his belt and will enter this year at 29 years old and with 2,120 career rushes. Our research finds that once a running back grinds out eight seasons of work and/or 2,400-to-2,600 carries, he begins to significantly slow down

i just have to wonder if that was more to do with the fact that he was still so freshly off the injury that they were trying to be careful.

regarding jamal and edge, i personaly wouldve taken jamal at 3.4 if he was there, and i wouldve considered him at 2.9. hes a great RB2 type. his YPC was solid last year, he's got no one to steal carries or goal line touches, and he scores a lot of TDs still and runs behind a great line. i wouldnt have taken edge though. he is my #24 rb. hes simply done at this point. he'll keep getting plenty of carries, but his YPC is dropping each year, hes not catching much anymore in arizona, and he doesnt score many TDs. i dont see the upside or value much there, its about as blase of a RB2 as you could get. granted im going to end up with about the same thing, but probably a full couple of rounds later.

His 1450 yards last year with 7 td's, and not missing any playtime gives me the steady production I wanted. I hope he gets 3 more td's this year, and that is attainable, as this team disappointed last year. They brought no one in to spell him, so he will get his 300+ touches and 3.8 yards per. The other two I looked at admittingly had higher upside, as I stated, but Jacobs has stiff comp for carries and redzone, and Brown has a knee injury to contend with. I went with the safe option. That's just the way i roll I guess. I am happy with it, and I really struggled with the other two. We'll just have to see. I like having 2 every down backs on my squad, and both from potentially explosive offenses.

I called Clash and posted for him at the Main Board. He said he'd respond right away. We have done real well today but why stop when there is still plenty of daylight?

fair enough. hes a decent rb2, nothing more or less. seems like its easy to agree on that.

im surprised to see the ronnie brown love. i dont think he wouldve been on my radar at my 4/5 picks at all. you guys are a lot more confident in his knee than i am. then again, i tore my acl, so... :dunno:

fair enough. hes a decent rb2, nothing more or less. seems like its easy to agree on that.

im surprised to see the ronnie brown love. i dont think he wouldve been on my radar at my 4/5 picks at all. you guys are a lot more confident in his knee than i am. then again, i tore my acl, so... :dunno:

Ronnie Brown was on a serious roll last year....even if he comes back at 75% production, that would make him a most excellent #2 RB.

Ronnie Brown was on a serious roll last year....even if he comes back at 75% production, that would make him a most excellent #2 RB.

i agree. but i am not so sure i see 75%, plus hes always been injury prone as it is. add in a bad OL and a completely new coaching staff, im just not so sure id pick him as anyone to rely on. maybe a high upside 5th round RB3 for me. guess im in the minority there, surprised to see the love.

Maroney and Brown are nice gambles in the 3rd IMO. Steve Smith in the 3rd could end up being the pick of the draft if Delhomme is healthy.

Maroney and Brown are nice gambles in the 3rd IMO. Steve Smith in the 3rd could end up being the pick of the draft if Delhomme is healthy.

Check my comments on Maroney above. I love Steve Smith at 3.03 and easily would have fargone the 2nd rb in round three had he been available. I might have even grabbed Colston before the back in round 3.

Check my comments on Maroney above. I love Steve Smith at 3.03 and easily would have fargone the 2nd rb in round three had he been available. I might have even grabbed Colston before the back in round 3.

RB - WR - WR :(

Like the Chad Johnson pick. I was gonna take him, but do to the holdout or whatever it is that he is doing, I went with the safer pick and took Plax, who I don't think has had his career year, yet. :(

i wondered when chad would go, but this was my guess where. i almost ALMOST took him at 3.4, but just wasnt worth it for me. right now my projections assume he plays all 16, which is why i assume he'll be doing still at this point. however i just think hes flat out overrated. hes scored a TD in just 8 of his last 32 games. the yards end up high, but hes one of those guys that wins you 3 or 4 games and then is super average the rest. i had brandon marshall literally at a dead head there, so no point taking the risk of a guy who might not even play, and one who will be a WR3 for 75% of the season.