Sign in to follow this  
thorshammer

Why do you buy Water? really?

Bottled water went mainstream less than 10yrs ago, what changed? I know that it is "pure" and dosent have "things" in it but really, the human body can eleminate waste products. Is there a real reason to pay over a dollar$ for 16oz of water? It may taste better to some but is the cost really worth it? I mean, unless you are drinking from a river that is full of crap, how bad is water in the US?

How about if the tap water tastes bad too? You like drinking/eating things that taste bad? That's a good enough reason for me.

Honestly, it isn't that expensive. Unless you buy it individually or something it's probably cheaper than paying for them to not clean our water as effectively as they should.

Also, it does seem to just taste better and be more crisp than tap water.

Conveinence plays a role as well. It's easy to just grab a bottle and head out to do whatever. Works well for people who diet or try and drink a certain amount of water per day as well.

When filling a jug of water and letting it sit in the fridge overnight, I can't tell the difference between that and bottled water. I don't have a link, but I've heard/read that after a day or two of refrigeration, tap water and bottled water are chemically identical.

Also, wasting water is good for the environment. The waste water being pumped out of the treatment facility is a hell of a lot cleaner than the crap going in.

I drink water like it is going out of style. (no, fockheads...not Coors Light water)

I buy a sports bottle once a week (24 oz) of whatever they have at the local hindu mart and refill that thing up at least 5 times a day. :dunno:

Water is good for you

I drink water like it is going out of style. (no, fockheads...not Coors Light water)

I buy a sports bottle once a week (24 oz) of whatever they have at the local hindu mart and refill that thing up at least 5 times a day. :dunno:

Water is good for you

So why farkin' buy the water. There is Zero chance that 16oz of water in a cheapo plastic bottle costs over a buck??? What does that bottle have in it to cost $1.09? (or is it the cheapo bottle itself?)

I really want to know?

So why farkin' buy the water. There is Zero chance that 16oz of water in a cheapo plastic bottle costs over a buck??? What does that bottle have in it to cost $1.09? (or is it the cheapo bottle itself?)

I really want to know?

I like drinking it out of the "sports bottles". (pop top and all..)

I refill it, like I said, about 5 times a day with the water in our water thingie at work.

Convienience (sp?), I guess :dunno:

Most bottled water is tap water. For example:

NEW YORK (Reuters)-- PepsiCo Inc. will spell out that its Aquafina bottled water is made with tap water, a concession to the growing environmental and political opposition to the bottled water industry. According to Corporate Accountability International, a U.S. watchdog group, the world's No. 2 beverage company will include the words "Public Water Source" on Aquafina labels.

"If this helps clarify the fact that the water originates from public sources, then it's a reasonable thing to do," said Michelle Naughton, a Pepsi-Cola North America spokeswoman.

Pepsi Chief Executive Indra Nooyi told Reuters earlier this week the company was considering such a move.

Pepsi's Aquafina and Coca-Cola Co's Dasani are both made from purified water sourced from public reservoirs, as opposed to Danone's Evian or Nestle's Poland Spring, so-called "spring waters," shipped from specific locations the companies say have notably clean water.

Coca-Cola Co. told Reuters it will start posting online information about the quality control testing it performs on Dasani by the end of summer or early fall.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/07/27/pepsico.aquafina.reut/

So unless you are buying the really fancy stuff, you are just purchasing tap water anyway. HTH. :dunno:

I buy in bulk from costco or winco. Comes out to 14 cents a bottle. Its convenient. I keep a few in my car. Every monday i take one to work and use it throughout the week. At work we fill up those alhambra things from the whole foods across the street for 39 cents a gallon. So i just use that same bottle for the week. Then the following monday i'll bring a new bottle. I've heard germs can build up and all that so i don't use the same one over and over. A case will easily last me a month since i only use one a week and then maybe 2-3 more bottles at random times throughout the week.

I'll buy water from a "hindu store" once in a while on trips and stuff. If i get thirsty on a long trip, what else should i buy? The only other things i'll consider are propel or some diet tea. If i'm thirsty and my options are soda or water, i'll pay a buck for the water.

Most bottled water is tap water. For example:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/07/27/pepsico.aquafina.reut/

So unless you are buying the really fancy stuff, you are just purchasing tap water anyway. HTH. :dunno:

if u read the bottle : if it says purified water...then it is tap water.

if it says spring water,, then it is coming from an actual spring

FYI

Bottled water is a mostly unregulated industry that re-packages tap water, or uses spring water that is largely untested for bacteria. The EPA pr!cks are obsessed with tap water and makes sure it's as clean and healthy as possible.

So, you are either paying a higher rate for tap water, or drinking a bunch of unhealthy germs.

Bottled water = FALE

Spring water tastes 100 times better than tap water.

I used to pay 50 cents a gallon for spring water.

Now I have one of those huge britta things in the fridge and I replace the filter every 4 months or so.

it costs me 20 bucks every 4 months.

I mostly drink water anyway. When I golf, I buy bottled, when I'm hot I buy bottled. I don't care if it's purified tap or spring, they both taste better than regular tap water.

I used to pay 50 cents a gallon for spring water.

Now I have one of those huge britta things in the fridge and I replace the filter every 4 months or so.

it costs me 20 bucks every 4 months.

I mostly drink water anyway. When I golf, I buy bottled, when I'm hot I buy bottled. I don't care if it's purified tap or spring, they both taste better than regular tap water.

:dunno:

when we gonna have a beer? :nono:

Bottled water is a mostly unregulated industry that re-packages tap water, or uses spring water that is largely untested for bacteria. The EPA pr!cks are obsessed with tap water and makes sure it's as clean and healthy as possible.

So, you are either paying a higher rate for tap water, or drinking a bunch of unhealthy germs.

Bottled water = FALE

some is filtered, some is spring, iam sure some is out of a garden hose too

either way, i cant get ice cold water from a tap. it doesnt come in a handy dandy bottle either

:dunno:

when we gonna have a beer? :nono:

:pointstosky:

either way, i cant get ice cold water from a tap. it doesnt come in a handy dandy bottle either

You can fill empty pitchers and bottles with tap water and put them in the fridge. Taa Daa!!!

I call bullsh!t. There is no difference in taste. In a blind taste test, I guarantee that you could not tell them apart. So go ahead and do the test. Step one, make yourself blind by removing your eyes; use a spork or something.

You can fill empty pitchers and bottles with tap water and put them in the fridge. Taa Daa!!!

too inconveneint to fill things up myself... plus

what happens if iam in the car?

at work? on a road trip? or somewhere where they dont have the water?

I cant bring the pitcher with me, and re-using bottles is a :nono: , bacteria grows http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Storie..._keep_them.html

I call bullsh!t. There is no difference in taste. In a blind taste test, I guarantee that you could not tell them apart. So go ahead and do the test. Step one, make yourself blind by removing your eyes; use a spork or something.

:nono:

Bottled water = FALE

philly gets it. :nono:

You clowns that think someone is treking off to the northern woods to fill up a bottle of naturally limestone filtered water from an artisian spring have been duped.

www.allaboutwater.org

Some "spring water" is just tap water without any extra filtering. Municipal water is subjected to regulation and testing that bottled water is not. The waste of gasoline and pollution created by putting thousands of trucks on the road delivering bottled water is absurd. The energy wasted by making all of those water bottles is just compounding the crime.

Hint: Get a refigerator with a water filter.

Where I live, a few yrs ago the town switched its main water source. The water immediately started tasting metallic and went to work on destroying dishes in our dishwasher. This is known as "hard water", and it's not good for you to ingest.

We put in a water softener, which removes a lot of the impurities, but this is expensive, and I would totally understand if someone else in my town started buying water to avoid drinking the tap water.

W.C. Fields put it best......

Water, never touch it. Fish fock in water.

:nono:

Whoever buys water in a bottle is as dumb as a rock. Sure if you are out and thats all they have or in a vending machine. It is the same thing as tap!!!!!!

Idk about wherever you guys are from but the tap water here is better than bottled. Whoever said they can't get it cold......do you know how ice cubes work???

Bottled water = Dumb.

Would you buy tanks of fresh crisp colorado mountain air? After all it should taste or feel better to suck in that sort of air.

Would you buy tanks of fresh crisp colorado mountain air? After all it should taste or feel better to suck in that sort of air.

Link please? TIA.

For convenience only and usually only in the car. I usually have ice water at home.

On 6/11/2008 at 10:15 AM, listen2me 23 said:

Anyone use ULTRAWF water filters in their fridge?   If so, what brand do you use and do you have a link?

The last couple I bought I went to reorder them and the product is nowhere to be found on Amazon anymore. That kind of concerns me because it seems like it's a fly by night operation and not sure the filter is any good.

So, I was wondering what the high rollers here at FFT use.

On 6/11/2008 at 8:43 AM, BiPolarBear said:

philly gets it. :nono:

You clowns that think someone is treking off to the northern woods to fill up a bottle of naturally limestone filtered water from an artisian spring have been duped.

www.allaboutwater.org

Some "spring water" is just tap water without any extra filtering. Municipal water is subjected to regulation and testing that bottled water is not. The waste of gasoline and pollution created by putting thousands of trucks on the road delivering bottled water is absurd. The energy wasted by making all of those water bottles is just compounding the crime.

Hint: Get a refigerator with a water filter.

I have been so spot-on for so long around here! Loving' me some me. 😍

On 6/11/2008 at 12:26 AM, pimptastic69 said:

When filling a jug of water and letting it sit in the fridge overnight, I can't tell the difference between that and bottled water. I don't have a link, but I've heard/read that after a day or two of refrigeration, tap water and bottled water are chemically identical.

Also, wasting water is good for the environment. The waste water being pumped out of the treatment facility is a hell of a lot cleaner than the crap going in.

Came here to say this. The difference between cold water and somewhat cold water is huge. We have a jug of water that sits in the fridge. 

Fun fact:

During the California drought a couple years ago, the government was trying to get citizens to stop using so much water to conserve it.  However, a lot of bottled water comes out of California and is sold around the world.  The government did absolutely nothing to curb selling California water in bottled form.  Why?  Because the bottled water companies are run by those who are paid up with the right people so the government looked the other way.  And because the government is run by democrats and the press is run by democrats, there was little to no investigative journalism done because doing that might mean some republicans win elections.

So the end result is democrats win all of these elections in large part due to environmentalism but because they control ALL the levers of power in the state, it corrupts them and they stop caring about the environment.  This is why we need checks and balances. 

To understand the safety of bottled water and tap water, you need to understand that there are health and safety guidelines from the medical community and THEN there are federal guidelines.  The two may not always agree on what is "safe".  Also, contamination levels may spike and testing may be as spotty as a quarterly check.

For example:  arsenic.

This study shows that the federal guidelines for arsenic in tap water is 10 parts per billion (ppb).  The arsenic levels in tap water in Beverly Hills in 2017 was at 3.2 ppb.  Unfortunately, the medical guidelines are 0.004 ppb.  The California average level of arsenic in the water is 3.0 ppb.  The nationwide level of arsenic is 1.3 ppb. 

https://premieresales.com/la-tap-water-drinking-water-los-angeles-california-water-quality/

So what does the LADWP say?  They say their water is fine.   But its not.

Everyone should use a water filter for things like arsenic and (other contaminants).

Really, the big jumping off point was when they started telling us that we need to drink more water. We needed to be hydrated.

From there, it's just a convenience thing as others have noted.

I'll openly admit that I'm one of those people who thinks bottled water taste better. When in fact, it may incrementally taste better, but also, the colder water is the better it seems to taste. And again, as others have noted, unless you go to the trouble of feeling at the picture and that ain't filter and blah blah blah in the fridge, where it picks up its own smells, a nice cold bottle of water just seems to taste better.

Oh, that in fact that our tap water is polluted with chemical fire retardant used at the various Air Force Bases around here. That might have something to do with it.

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

Really, the big jumping off point was when they started telling us that we need to drink more water. We needed to be hydrated.

From there, it's just a convenience thing as others have noted.

I'll openly admit that I'm one of those people who thinks bottled water taste better. When in fact, it may incrementally taste better, but also, the colder water is the better it seems to taste. And again, as others have noted, unless you go to the trouble of feeling at the picture and that ain't filter and blah blah blah in the fridge, where it picks up its own smells, a nice cold bottle of water just seems to taste better.

Human taste buds are finely tuned to be most receptive at room temperature.  When you heat up or chill foods, it has the effect of dulling your taste buds, which for a lot of people make the taste less sharp and more palatable.  Some people then complain it tastes bland and start adding room-temperature condiments to bring the flavor back.