Sign in to follow this  
9-Route

ESPN "expert's draft" show

they cut short sportscenter to televise an expert fantasy draft, including drafters merrill hoge, michael smith, nick backay, chris mortensen, method man, and summer sanders among others. the critiques by matthew berry are included. this 8 team draft has had some, 'entertaining' to say the least, selections.

gotta love the network trying to address the masses, not the fanatics.

This is entertaining stuff! I love Merril Hoge but he obvisouly has never been in a fantasy football league before.... and Method Man... priceless. :thumbsdown:

FWP, Holt, Maroney and Big Ben still on the board

Mort takes Devin Hester

Championship! :unsure:

Looks like Roy, Bakay, and Michael Smith cleaned up.

this was semi retarded. but at least entertaining.

I think I caught a SecondHandHigh just by watching Method Man. Dude looked like he was blazin' right before each pick.

i luckily changed channels in time to catch nick backay busting method man for drafting dallas clark....when he had drafted antonio gates the prior round!! method passed it off as "injury concern insurance". :wave:

Frank Gore at #3??? :wave:

After that and the following ridicule,I had to turn the channel...I'd rather watch people I've never heard of that know Fantasy Football draft than celebs and ESPN guys...

I loved Meth's theory of drafting 2 TEs back to back with the 5th/6th round? "Antonio needs a backup because his toes hurt"

Thank god for weed!

I turned it as soon as Merrill Hoge starting gushing about Adrian Peterson. Does anyone actually like this guy? I personally can't stand him Hoge.

i like mort, method man and roy williams. michael smith is ok but kind of a pompous ass.

i really dislike mathew berry

i like mort, method man and roy williams. michael smith is ok but kind of a pompous ass.

i really dislike mathew berry

First off, this is why I go to sites like fftoday for fantasy football advice rather than listening to the assinine stupidity of the 4-letter network. That said, it was quite entertaining.

Second, did anyone else find it interesting that Roy pretty much agreed with Mort that Calvin Johnson should be drafted ahead of him. I would agree with that, but thought Roy would defend himself to the end on that one. :doublethumbsup:

These so-called fantasy "experts" are no more an expert than the man on the moon...or most people on this site for that matter.

They simply see ungodly interest in fantasy football and they've decided to dedicate programming to it that has a bunch of know-nothing talking heads battling out over who should go first: Hester or Holt.

Insane.

I think my favorite part was Hoge and Mort in the 2nd round. Mort had a wry smile on his face when he took Darren McFadden like he had stolen the draft. After defending the pick, he just kept smiling "McFadden's numbers this year are no mystery to me, though. I know it's early, but I'm not going to let him slip past me."

Prefacing Hoge's second round pick, he criticized the others for taking quarterbacks in the first and second rounds. "You guys are all crazy for taking quarterbacks in the first couple rounds. You need a foundation on your team, guys who are guaranteed to touch the ball...that's why I'm taking.......Brandon Jacobs."

I think this show was my second favorite football related comedy. It trumped the show a couple years back when Suzy Kolber took Brett Favre with the 2nd overall pick in her fantasy draft. The only thing better was the Halloween halftime show on Monday Night Football last year when they had the football costume race of ESPN football analysts.

For those interested, here is the link:

When I saw this live, I was literally on the floor clutching my stomach in laughter at the pointlessness of it all. There's so many pinpoint moments in this clip I can't even begin to explain them. Watch for prancing Kornheiser in the background.

I'll tell ya, I caught the tale end of that ESPN fantasy draft show and couldn't wait to check it out on the ESPN website to review the entire draft results.

In less than 30 seconds, I was very disappointed and thought, what a waste of time going to the ESPN site to review this retard crap.

What lured me were some of my favorites who drafted like Hoge, Roy Williams and I love Suzy, so I wanted to check it out thinking good thoughts, lol..

Best described as a comedy act and could be on Saturday Night Live, hah!!!!

Just more proof that ESPN sucks and the talking heads there don't know jack about sports. But they sure can read a teleprompter and act the part though. Mainstream journalism is all the same bs. :thumbsdown:

Matthew Berry is such a puffed up dandy with the brains of a schoolboy its not even funny.

In print, he's not half bad. On the screen, he's TERRIBLE and keeps making pathetic attempts for more attention. There was this hour long ESPN baseball special that I downloaded (using a plugin in Firefox) and when I sat down to watch, he kept making the same stupid jokes over and over and acted like he owned the network of something. After watching for about 5 min, I had to stop watching because I couldn't take it anymore!

Holy crap that was priceless, I just looked at it online. Chris Perry went before Edge, who went at 101 (if I recall). There are too many hilarious things to point out. :music_guitarred:

FWP, Holt, Maroney and Big Ben still on the board

Mort takes Devin Hester

there have been many dumb moments on that channel..but that ranks right up there...i think mort believes that he will get points for kick return tds...

even summer sanders thought he was an idiot...

Any fantasy football draft that includes the cat from Sabrina The Teenage Witch has to be pretty die hard.

I think my favorite part was Hoge and Mort in the 2nd round. Mort had a wry smile on his face when he took Darren McFadden like he had stolen the draft. After defending the pick, he just kept smiling "McFadden's numbers this year are no mystery to me, though. I know it's early, but I'm not going to let him slip past me."

Prefacing Hoge's second round pick, he criticized the others for taking quarterbacks in the first and second rounds. "You guys are all crazy for taking quarterbacks in the first couple rounds. You need a foundation on your team, guys who are guaranteed to touch the ball...that's why I'm taking.......Brandon Jacobs."

And then he took a QB at 3.1. I wish had explained the difference between 2.8 and 3.1 in an 8 team draft.

I did enjoy it when Suzy Kolber pick TJ she said "TJ Whose-your momma - Championship"

this show was amusing and entertaining at best. I think Suzy K is hot and probably knows more about football than most of the guys on there but. . . .

as far as useful fantasy value......this was worthless and clueless

I would love to play in a league with the moron, M Hoge, who proved to the world he knows absolutely nothing about fantasy football. And lets face it, for most of us an 8 team league is pretty lame. I bet that most of us would all have stud teams in an 8 team league.

In the future, ESPN needs two fantasy draft shows. . . one for the casual or curious fan. And another one for REAL fantasy football players!

this show was amusing and entertaining at best. I think Suzy K is hot and probably knows more about football than most of the guys on there but. . . .

as far as useful fantasy value......this was worthless and clueless

I would love to play in a league with the moron, M Hoge, who proved to the world he knows absolutely nothing about fantasy football. And lets face it, for most of us an 8 team league is pretty lame. I bet that most of us would all have stud teams in an 8 team league.

In the future, ESPN needs two fantasy draft shows. . . one for the casual or curious fan. And another one for REAL fantasy football players!

Problem is, REAL fantasy players aren't going to flock to ESPN.com and sign up for 20 leagues. They're not about to cater to us, because that's not where the money is. We know they're a joke, so they put on a show for those who don't know the difference to sell a product. Anyone on this site would kick Matthew Berry's vulva (bet you don't have a filter on THAT, Mike. :lol:) in half, but it's easy to make him look like an expert worth reading when he's critiquing Method Man.

There's money to be made on this fantasy craze, and ESPN has a built in target group. New FFers don't know the ins and outs, so taking sexy picks like McFadden and Hester makes for a good show to those who don't appreciate Joey Galloway or Leon Washington. :doublethumbsup:

Problem is, REAL fantasy players aren't going to flock to ESPN.com and sign up for 20 leagues. They're not about to cater to us, because that's not where the money is. We know they're a joke, so they put on a show for those who don't know the difference to sell a product. Anyone on this site would kick Matthew Berry's vulva (bet you don't have a filter on THAT, Mike. :first:) in half, but it's easy to make him look like an expert worth reading when he's critiquing Method Man.

There's money to be made on this fantasy craze, and ESPN has a built in target group. New FFers don't know the ins and outs, so taking sexy picks like McFadden and Hester makes for a good show to those who don't appreciate Joey Galloway or Leon Washington. :doublethumbsup:

Meh... I don't know how fugly they are, but if ESPN, say, got real FF experts from the FFTOC, and marketed it, they could make a killing. Could be the next WSOP sorta thing. Weekly discussions on who to use, why the matchups are good, etc. Mike, if you need my email for the royalty checks on this idea, let me know. :lol: