Sign in to follow this  
Buttmonkey

Need You Fantasy Football Experts to Weigh In On This

A couple owners think that at season's end, the tie-breaker on who should be in the post-season (if two teams have identical records) should first be "points scored" versus "head-to-head" results. i.e. Team Alpha beat Team Bravo during the regular season; they both have 9-4 records, but team Bravo scored more points during the regular season, so Team Bravo gets the next playoff spot.

All of my leagues determine playoff seedings by won/loss record, then head-to-head, and so forth.

What are the thoughts here on board.

For FF purposes I favor total points.

Let's say all your studs have the same bye week (like WK 4 for a lot of FF teams this year); you get thumped with your scrubs and WW plug n plays, go on to outscore somebody by 200 points over the course of the season with clearly a better squad, but that one week determines the seeding?

Valid arguments both ways, this comes up at some point every year, but personally I like W-L/Total Pts/H2H/GF can size.

I like the idea of tie-break being HTH matchup as long as your league plays all teams at least once against each other - its more personal and makes weekly matchups slightly more dramatic. Although I do think that total fantasy Pts tie break would more accurately ensure the BETTER team makes it in the playoffs.

i agree... total points is the way to go...

in most leagues some teams play each other 2 times while some only once... plus the whole bye week scenario.

total points for sure.

Total points is the way to decide it. Any team can be beat and just because another team got lucky with some waiver wire scrub on the week they played you does not mean they are better. Total points more accurately reflects the talent on a team and the point of the playoffs is the have the best teams.

Gotta go with total points. It's really the best indicator of a fantasy football team's quality over the whole season, even more so than actual record. In any real sport of course W-L would be more important, but in fantasy you are not matching up against an opponent's team ... just summing up weekly points. If head to head wasn't a lot more fun than just watching the points go up each week, I'd favor playing with total points as the primary indicator over W-L.

Buckin' the trend...I say head-to-head, especially if you're in a league using divisions. "You play to win the game."

Total points more accurately reflects the talent on a team and the point of the playoffs is the have the best teams.

Total points does more accurately reflect the talent of a team...but it isn't as "fun"

Total points more accurately reflects the talent on a team and the point of the playoffs is the have the best teams.

Playoffs? What playoffs are you referring to? If total points indicates best teams, as you say, there is no reason for any playoffs at all. You'd just as well play until week 16 or so, and just award the money(s) to the top point(s) leaders.

For the same reason you are having "playoffs", is the same reason to have h2h games, and the reason why h2h should be used as a tiebreaker.

Total points does more accurately reflect the talent of a team...but it isn't as "fun"

Playoffs? What playoffs are you referring to? If total points indicates best teams, as you say, there is no reason for any playoffs at all. You'd just as well play until week 16 or so, and just award the money(s) to the top point(s) leaders.

For the same reason you are having "playoffs", is the same reason to have h2h games, and the reason why h2h should be used as a tiebreaker.

:wub: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Want a tissue?

A couple owners think that at season's end, the tie-breaker on who should be in the post-season (if two teams have identical records) should first be "points scored" versus "head-to-head" results. i.e. Team Alpha beat Team Bravo during the regular season; they both have 9-4 records, but team Bravo scored more points during the regular season, so Team Bravo gets the next playoff spot.

All of my leagues determine playoff seedings by won/loss record, then head-to-head, and so forth.

What are the thoughts here on board.

When you play the whole season head-to-head to determine record, then it makes sense to use head-to-head for playoff seeding. That mirrors the NFL more than total points IMO.

Why doesn't your league take a vote??

We use the exact same rules the NFL uses, keeps it easy. So I say no to total points. In fact every argument made in favor of total points is really pointless. If Team A is really 200 points better then Team B, then they should have a better record, regardless of losing 1 week. If not, tough sh!t!

Most leagues have head to head and points winnings. So Team A would still have a shot at some coin "if" they are truly that much better.

:ninja: :wave: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Want a tissue?

All I did was questioned your reasoning...and voila....I get you to ask me if I need a tissue. LOL. I figured I'd be able to get you to give a response like that.

So ummm....you didn't answer my question. You scared?

When you play the whole season head-to-head to determine record, then it makes sense to use head-to-head for playoff seeding. That mirrors the NFL more than total points IMO.

:ninja:

You need to use the head to head for this. Others have made some good points as to why. You should be playing everyone in your division 2 times. If that happens to be a tie as well, then you should move on to best division record. Total points can be in there some where latter, but in a league that is head to head, it should be pretty far down the list of tiebreakers. It doesn't make much sense to use total points early in the tie breakers in a head to head league, to me.

I like to keep it as close to the NFL as possible. If you use total points when you have another option, you kind of defeat the purpose of having HTH games or divisions. Using HTH helps create rivalries.

If there is a tie for overall record then tie-breakers go:

1. HTH

2. Division record

3. Total points

4. Coin flip

This has worked well in this league for about 10 years.

i still say total points. like i said in most leagues you wont play every team twice and someone brought up a good point about bye weeks.

for and NFL team a bye week means your not playing and therefore cant get a win or a loss on your record but in Fantasy bye weeks only effect certain players on your team. So what happens if the week you play the team you tie with you have several players on bye and he has none? Youll probably lose but every other week of the season you outscore his team, then what?

Total points all the way because of bye weeks.

Even though everything else is just like the NFL, the big difference is that NFL teams cannot lose during their bye weeks. FF teams can and often do lose when they have their best three players sitting out. It is dumb to give Team A the advantage over Team B solely because Team A had the good fortune playing Team B when A was at full strength and B could not use its top three or four players due to byes.

That being said, NEVER change the rules after the draft. If your league wants to change, do it prior to next season.

Total points, end of discussion.

It's easy, better indicatior of better team

Any argument for H2H is pointless.

:thumbsdown:

total point as head to head doesn't work when you have 3 players that tied and that can and does happen

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. We tried the whole keepin' it real thing until we ended the season with the same scenario as above. It was a nightmare with some teams having played each twice and others once. We learned our lesson the hard way as it caused a bunch of undue bickering. Unless your league has a completely balanced schedule, I would highly reccomend total points as the tie breaker.