Sign in to follow this  
rotisserieking

Commishes: How to handle the PPD Raven-Texans game?

Trying to determine if there is a fair way to handle this. One thought I had was to allow anyone who had a Ravens or Texans player starter to play the guy on the bench. Or are you letting this go and any starter on BAL-HOU gets a zero?

Wait, I just realized didn't they postpone this on Friday night? If so then owners had plenty of time to change rosters.

Why should it be different from any other bye week? If you leave a player in your starting lineup during his bye week don't you get a zero?

Why should it be different from any other bye week? If you leave a player in your starting lineup during his bye week don't you get a zero?

:dunno:

They didn't officially announce it was canceled until Saturday. A typical bye week, you know starting the week your team is on bye.

Not everyone has no life and sits around all weekend waiting to find things out about fantasy football. Some people set their lineups on Thursday and go away for the weekend, not looking at a computer or football game till Sunday when they get back.

I am the commish of my league and there were 2 teams that had Ravens in their lineups.

Neither team had a backup for the player not playing. I called each person and I got a hold of one of them, I asked them who they wanted to pick up, so I picked up a person and inserted into their lineup. The other team which I couldn't get in touch with had no D, so I picked up the Giants d for them and put them into their lineup and left them a voicemail. Both teams still lost, but that's how I handled it. Fortunately for me, I grew up with everyone in the league, so I know them all.

I got completely screwed this week because of this crap. I set my lineup at work on Friday and started Baltimore's DST. I was stuck at Ronald McDonald House with no access to a computer until after the Green Bay game kicked off (my other team DST) so I didn't get my lineup changed in time. I'd have won the week if I'd had Green Bay's 23 or so points instead of Baltimore's 0. Then again, in hindsight I probably should have called someone and had them change my lineup for me, but it's hard to trust any of the fockers in my money league, you know, since money's involved and all. :thumbsup:

They didn't officially announce it was canceled until Saturday. A typical bye week, you know starting the week your team is on bye.

Not everyone has no life and sits around all weekend waiting to find things out about fantasy football. Some people set their lineups on Thursday and go away for the weekend, not looking at a computer or football game till Sunday when they get back.

Would you have similar complaints if one of your starters was a surprise inactive? Not everyone can get to a computer 12:00 on sunday, but you are risking it any week.

The whole argument that not everyone has access to a computer Sunday morning doesn't hold water. There are many instances that players are listed as inactive 30 minutes before kickoff so what's the difference? You know when you join the league that it's in your best interest to log in Sunday morning for things like that. You snooze you lose. I was even nice enough to email the entire league Saturday night giving them a head's up and also posting a scrolling text on the top of our web page.

If my commish did help an owner because they started a Raven or Texan player, I would leave. This IS fantasy football! Those who reallly play it wouldn't have this problem. That's total BS! Anybody who was depending on any of those players deserve to lose anyway!

The game should be considered just like a bye week. I was in trouble going into the game since I had Baltimore's RB (McGahee or Rice) and Andre Johnson going (with a possibility of Schaub). I resigned myself to a horrible week and just put in guys that I had.

As it turned out, Cutler, Boldin, Portis, and the GB defense took me to victory. More proof that this stuff is luck.

I am the commish of my league and there were 2 teams that had Ravens in their lineups.

Neither team had a backup for the player not playing. I called each person and I got a hold of one of them, I asked them who they wanted to pick up, so I picked up a person and inserted into their lineup. The other team which I couldn't get in touch with had no D, so I picked up the Giants d for them and put them into their lineup and left them a voicemail. Both teams still lost, but that's how I handled it. Fortunately for me, I grew up with everyone in the league, so I know them all.

Do you powder their ass and tuck them in at night too?

Jesus :thumbsup:

Everyone knew about this 24 hours in advance. If you don't even check what's going on from Saturday afternoon to kickoff, you don't deserve to win. There's no way a commish can change anything after the fact.

I got completely screwed this week because of this crap. I set my lineup at work on Friday and started Baltimore's DST. I was stuck at Ronald McDonald House with no access to a computer until after the Green Bay game kicked off (my other team DST) so I didn't get my lineup changed in time. I'd have won the week if I'd had Green Bay's 23 or so points instead of Baltimore's 0. Then again, in hindsight I probably should have called someone and had them change my lineup for me, but it's hard to trust any of the fockers in my money league, you know, since money's involved and all. :thumbsup:

To me fantasy football is like golf, don't cheat, keep your own score and it's about the game, not the prizes. sure it is nice to win a league and get some extra $$$ around Xmas time but if you can't trust the guys in the your league because it's a money league then you and the guys in your league are really missing the point.

As commish, I posted a message on the league message board (which is emailed) on Saturday to be aware of a possible situation. Sunday morning I checked the rosters and two teams still had players in their starting lineups so I text them. One guy had Kris Brown as his only kicker so he just left him and the other guy sat AJ.

As commish I felt it was my responsiblilty to try to commuicate the information BEFORE the games as much as I could. However I would never pick up players / adjust lineups for another team (without them telling me to) as that is steppin way out of bounds.

Botttom line was that the information was out there in sufficient time. It was a bye week for both those teams and should be treated as such.

As commish, I posted a message on the league message board (which is emailed) on Saturday to be aware of a possible situation. Sunday morning I checked the rosters and two teams still had players in their starting lineups so I text them. One guy had Kris Brown as his only kicker so he just left him and the other guy sat AJ.

As commish I felt it was my responsiblilty to try to commuicate the information BEFORE the games as much as I could. However I would never pick up players / adjust lineups for another team (without them telling me to) as that is steppin way out of bounds.

Botttom line was that the information was out there in sufficient time. It was a bye week for both those teams and should be treated as such.

Dead on! :doublethumbsup:

I did the same exact thing... I even started writing league notes once I found out that the game might be moved to Monday night and informed my league the game would be canceled for the week and they should make changes. I wrote an email to our entire league for that one. You can only give your league so much info and if they don't act, it's not your fault. The guy I was up against this week had a couple of guys from Houston playing too, so I gained nothing from my communications.

It's your job as commish to inform when out of the ordinary circumstances are present, but like it was stated before... Not your job to act on it unless someone completely drops out of the league.

Bottom line was that the information was out there in sufficient time. It was a bye week for both those teams and should be treated as such.

Exactly. I sent an email to the league, checked lineups on Sunday and everyone was fine. I would have called people if necessary, but changing lineups without the owner’s permission or changing lineups post game are borderline cheating and if nothing else definitely overstepping the commissionaire’s responsibility.

The only time I expect to hear anything from the commissioners in any of my leagues is when there is a problem that needs something put to a vote or where the commissioner is making a decision himself that affects the leagues rules or players (neither of which really ever happens). Otherwise the commissioner is simply another team in the league. I would leave any league immediately if the commish ever altered a lineup for a player without their consent. Also, I know for sure that every player in my leagues would freak out if the commish emailed the other teams about a game that is canceled. That's up to each team to find out on their own. If the teams aren't paying attention then they deserve to lose, plain and simple.

As a commissioner, the moment I learned of the news I went on a massive notification campaign... emails to everyone, posts on message board and "from the Commish" at RTS, and phone calls to anyone I didn't hear from or see had logged in after the notices were sent out.

I would only allow consideration for change based upon a strong belief that one of my owners didn't get the news and then work out a post-kickoff lineup change between the two owners. Depending upon the number of players available, a coin-flip or draw out of a hat or something else that is random enough in nature to be "fair."

A Commish should make an effort to contact teams in this unusual situation but NEVER act on their behalf. NEVER!

Our Commish was unavailable this weekend for a sibling wedding. He gave another team the option of making any change that he may need but said nothing of others.

The guy I was playing had the Ravens D but with 15 minutes before game time he had made no changes.

I called him and pointed this out to him. He told me his PC was down and asked if I'd make the change for him.

I did. His other D/ST was Tampa Bay.

TB scored 12 points and he beat me by 6.

I'm ok with it. I'm a compassionate man and did what I would want someone to do for me.

Enough said.

To me fantasy football is like golf, don't cheat, keep your own score and it's about the game, not the prizes. sure it is nice to win a league and get some extra $$$ around Xmas time but if you can't trust the guys in the your league because it's a money league then you and the guys in your league are really missing the point.

:rolleyes:

<_<

I called the guy who had Andre johnson. If you are starting any other players from these two teams, your teams suck and you deserve to lose anyways.

That is really what I did but I posted that they could call me until 12 noon and I would make the changes for them. Sure enough, the only player affected was Andre. The owner had Curry and Steve Smith CAR on his bench so I even asked him if he wanted to go open market I woulod allow it. He went with Curry.

We have a rule in our constitution called the Screwed by God rule. I think there was a storm in Miami or a lightning storm in Carolina a few years ago and we pondered the what if. Well we put if a game was canceled or moved from the current week after lineups were turned in, the owner was screwed by God.

Our commish posted it on the league web site, sent out emails, and text massages to all owners. Some owners live in the Houston areas still with out power and managed to get things taken care.

A Commish should make an effort to contact teams in this unusual situation...!

Why? Why should a commish make an effort to contact teams in this situation or any other? What if a player has a family emergency and is deemed inactive 15 minutes before the game? Are you going to find that player in your league and contact the owner about that situation? If you are playing fantasy football, you need to be prepared for something out of the ordinary happening every week to your lineup and you need to be prepared to handle it whether it's contacting someone to make the change for you, or whatever. I am amazed that some of the commissioners that have responded in this thread actually run their leagues this way.

:rolleyes:

I agree. My main league is a bunch of old frineds/coworkers. I emailed the info to the league Saturday. Commish responded "let's wait until it is official." I responded when it was officially official including the new schedule. I didn't need to do that, but these are people I know. If somebody had a Raven/Texan in the lineup after that, they were obviously not on their computers over the weekend, which surprisingly to some people is often the case. I would push for putting their lowest scoring person at that position in the lineup after the fact, in fact I think we've done this in the past for some weird situations. I don't want to win because somebody is at a family wedding and doesn't get this kinda news.

Last minute inactives are different IMO. That shiot happens.

Why? Why should a commish make an effort to contact teams in this situation or any other? What if a player has a family emergency and is deemed inactive 15 minutes before the game? Are you going to find that player in your league and contact the owner about that situation? If you are playing fantasy football, you need to be prepared for something out of the ordinary happening every week to your lineup and you need to be prepared to handle it whether it's contacting someone to make the change for you, or whatever. I am amazed that some of the commissioners that have responded in this thread actually run their leagues this way.

Why send out a league wide email?

Because there was confusion. Because I was getting questions about it from different owners. Because the news came out the day before the game. As commish, I don't tell anybody how to run their team or do it for them. However I do clarify changes that may occur due to "out of the ordinary events" like a hurricane postponing a game. A player getting hurt, or being a late scratch happens all the time and is not an "out of the ordinary event." HTH

Why send out a league wide email?

Because there was confusion. Because I was getting questions about it from different owners. Because the news came out the day before the game. As commish, I don't tell anybody how to run their team or do it for them. However I do clarify changes that may occur due to "out of the ordinary events" like a hurricane postponing a game. A player getting hurt, or being a late scratch happens all the time and is not an "out of the ordinary event." HTH

Exactly. You guys are acting like this was a typical BYE week. Wrong, it wasn't. I've been playing FF since 1991 and I'm commishing a few leagues and occasionally I don't sit at the computer all day Saturday checking for updates, so in this case, I didn't even find out about the postponed game until Sunday morning. That's what I consider "last minute" and I felt it would be correct to notify the league. Found 2 owners who were starting HOU/BAL players, let them know so they'd have at least an hour to make their own lineup changes as necessary. No one complained.

Exactly. You guys are acting like this was a typical BYE week. Wrong, it wasn't. I've been playing FF since 1991 and I'm commishing a few leagues and occasionally I don't sit at the computer all day Saturday checking for updates, so in this case, I didn't even find out about the postponed game until Sunday morning. That's what I consider "last minute" and I felt it would be correct to notify the league. Found 2 owners who were starting HOU/BAL players, let them know so they'd have at least an hour to make their own lineup changes as necessary. No one complained.

I guess I just have a different view of the commissioner's role. All day Saturday while college football games were being played, the news about the Houston/Baltimore game being canceled was being scrolled across the bottom of the screen. I was at a college game that day and saw it plenty of times before I left home to go to our game, and on TVs in the tailgating areas. A hurricane was headed for HOUSTON Friday night, which is where the game was being played (common freaking sense says check on that). Even these facts don't excuse the players in your leagues from checking on things in some way or another 30 minutes before the games start. The situation doesn't matter. Andre Johnson could have been in a car wreck before the game. It is up to every team in the league to do their own research on every aspect of the game and have nothing handed to them. Letting anyone know anything prior to a game without the specific team requesting info is babying your teams and is unfair to everyone else in the league who takes the time to check their lineups regardless of the situations or excuses.

I guess I just have a different view of the commissioner's role. All day Saturday while college football games were being played, the news about the Houston/Baltimore game being canceled was being scrolled across the bottom of the screen. I was at a college game that day and saw it plenty of times before I left home to go to our game, and on TVs in the tailgating areas. A hurricane was headed for HOUSTON Friday night, which is where the game was being played (common freaking sense says check on that). Even these facts don't excuse the players in your leagues from checking on things in some way or another 30 minutes before the games start. The situation doesn't matter. Andre Johnson could have been in a car wreck before the game. It is up to every team in the league to do their own research on every aspect of the game and have nothing handed to them. Letting anyone know anything prior to a game without the specific team requesting info is babying your teams and is unfair to everyone else in the league who takes the time to check their lineups regardless of the situations or excuses.

:doublethumbsup: :ninja:

Would you have similar complaints if one of your starters was a surprise inactive? Not everyone can get to a computer 12:00 on sunday, but you are risking it any week.

:doublethumbsup:

2 teams not being able to play, is the same as a guy being a surprise inactive on Sunday?

good stuff.

some of you guys are a real bunch of fantasy heros. you'd be great friends. :overhead:

it's sad that you don't understand people have lives and they can't be expected to be around all weekend should something happen.

Ever hear of a thing called trust? respect? it's not real, it's fantasy. Sure it's for a few bucks, but there are a lot more important things than money.

I bet if a guys mother or father died on Wednesday and he had to fly to another state for the weekend and he didn't change his lineup, leaving 1/2 his team on bye, you'd tell him to suck it up right? Well too bad, I don't care if your mom died, you didn't change your lineup. Don't you know fantasy is your life and top priority.

some of you guys are a real bunch of fantasy heros. you'd be great friends. :overhead:

it's sad that you don't understand people have lives and they can't be expected to be around all weekend should something happen.

Ever hear of a thing called trust? respect? it's not real, it's fantasy. Sure it's for a few bucks, but there are a lot more important things than money.

I bet if a guys mother or father died on Wednesday and he had to fly to another state for the weekend and he didn't change his lineup, leaving 1/2 his team on bye, you'd tell him to suck it up right? Well too bad, I don't care if your mom died, you didn't change your lineup. Don't you know fantasy is your life and top priority.

My sarcastic radar must be off, because I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or slamming me. :D

I agree. My main league is a bunch of old frineds/coworkers. I emailed the info to the league Saturday. Commish responded "let's wait until it is official." I responded when it was officially official including the new schedule. I didn't need to do that, but these are people I know. If somebody had a Raven/Texan in the lineup after that, they were obviously not on their computers over the weekend, which surprisingly to some people is often the case. I would push for putting their lowest scoring person at that position in the lineup after the fact, in fact I think we've done this in the past for some weird situations. I don't want to win because somebody is at a family wedding and doesn't get this kinda news.

Last minute inactives are different IMO. That shiot happens.

jerry = class guy :overhead:

accept for the phone sex and cheating on his wife thing

My sarcastic radar must be off, because I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or slamming me. :overhead:

Not just slamming you.

I just think it's bush league to have the attitude that fantasy football is more important than anything else.

I've been running this league for 14 years, this is the 1st time I have ever picked up guys on Sunday to insert them into someone elses lineup. My league doesn't even allow Sunday pickups. Sometimes things happen and things need to be done. What's more important? telling a guy to fock off, rules are rules, or helping him out because it's the right thing to do?

Not just slamming you.

I just think it's bush league to have the attitude that fantasy football is more important than anything else.

I've been running this league for 14 years, this is the 1st time I have ever picked up guys on Sunday to insert them into someone elses lineup. My league doesn't even allow Sunday pickups. Sometimes things happen and things need to be done. What's more important? telling a guy to fock off, rules are rules, or helping him out because it's the right thing to do?

Did you try calling the guy Saturday night, Sunday morning? Where was he?

I too am friends with all the guys in my league. Unless they were at a funeral or something I would be able to get in touch with them via email/cell phone/other firends ect.

Did you try calling the guy Saturday night, Sunday morning? Where was he?

I too am friends with all the guys in my league. Unless they were at a funeral or something I would be able to get in touch with them via email/cell phone/other firends ect.

I went to a poker tournament on Saturday at 5, then I went to dj till 2 am. I myself, don't sit around all weekend looking for fantasy news.

I tried calling the team (3 of them) Sunday morning, they didn't call me back, till after I had made the change (around 1:30) and they said "thank you"

Another guy called me Sunday morning and asked me to pick someone up, which I did.

Both teams still lost. :overhead:

jerry = class guy :overhead:

accept for the phone sex and cheating on his wife thing

I've nevah had phone sex :D

The whole argument that not everyone has access to a computer Sunday morning doesn't hold water. There are many instances that players are listed as inactive 30 minutes before kickoff so what's the difference? You know when you join the league that it's in your best interest to log in Sunday morning for things like that. You snooze you lose. I was even nice enough to email the entire league Saturday night giving them a head's up and also posting a scrolling text on the top of our web page.

The argument that "there are many instances that players are listed as inactive 30 minutes before kickoff so what's the difference?" doesn't hold water when it comes to team defenses, as it's an apples-to-oranges comparison for the most part. You and I have learned to expect late scratches on Sunday morning, I'll give you that (see Week 1 where Magahee was listed as "probable" but didn't play at all). However, you don't expect an entire TEAM to be inactive on a week in which they are scheduled to play, and that's what happened here with the DST's of Houston and Baltimore. I'm also not sure how someone can "log in on Sunday morning" if they don't have access to a computer on Sunday morning...but I get where you're coming from.

The argument that "there are many instances that players are listed as inactive 30 minutes before kickoff so what's the difference?" doesn't hold water when it comes to team defenses, as it's an apples-to-oranges comparison for the most part. You and I have learned to expect late scratches on Sunday morning, I'll give you that (see Week 1 where Magahee was listed as "probable" but didn't play at all). However, you don't expect an entire TEAM to be inactive on a week in which they are scheduled to play, and that's what happened here with the DST's of Houston and Baltimore. I'm also not sure how someone can "log in on Sunday morning" if they don't have access to a computer on Sunday morning...but I get where you're coming from.

Great point. To take it a step further, a lot of Texor didn't HAVE power Sunday morning, even if they had access to a computer.

So it is better to randomly change the rules? Then which rules are the "real" rules and which one might be changed during the season? I don't know what is more messed up, changing the rules during the season or expecting fantasy football players to think ahead?

Great point. To take it a step further, a lot of Texor didn't HAVE power Sunday morning, even if they had access to a computer.

:thumbsup:

One of the things I did as mentioned, was pickup the Giants D to replace the Ravens D. They didn't have another D, most teams only draft 1 d, why carry 2? I guess I am just that good, that I picked up a D that scored, but what am I supposed to do, if not try and pick up the best d?