Sign in to follow this  
mdm_1971

davenport

what type of value will he have? he is familiar with the system and played some last year while FWP was out so does he have more value then moore now ? is he worth a roster spot at this point.?

I don't expect much of anything. Hide the clothes baskets folks.

My early thoughts are that you can expect that he will keep the bench from going anywhere. Remember, he was released in favor of Moore and Russell. To think that Davenport will now be the guy is . . . optimistic, to say the very least.

My early thoughts are that you can expect that he will keep the bench from going anywhere. Remember, he was released in favor of Moore and Russell. To think that Davenport will now be the guy is . . . optimistic, to say the very least.

i remember he looked pretty good when he got the rock. i think he had a run-in with the popo and that was a big reason why they parted ways.

I liked what davenport brought last year. I think he is a great compliment to memo as a RBBC.

However when FWP gets healthy i like MeMo to still be the third down back, as memo is a much better reciever.

i remember he looked pretty good when he got the rock. i think he had a run-in with the popo and that was a big reason why they parted ways.

He was let go because they liked Mewelde Moore better as a third down back, and Gary Russell is young and talented, and having Davenport as a #4 made no sense. He missed the #2 spot because of Mendenhall, and then was bumped in favor of Russell, who was ultimately taken to the practice squad.

My point is that they did not now resign him in order to give him the start. He won't. He'll likely be the third option, behind Moore and Russell.

He was let go because they liked Mewelde Moore better as a third down back, and Gary Russell is young and talented, and having Davenport as a #4 made no sense. He missed the #2 spot because of Mendenhall, and then was bumped in favor of Russell, who was ultimately taken to the practice squad.

My point is that they did not now resign him in order to give him the start. He won't. He'll likely be the third option, behind Moore and Russell.

so... wait... did they bring russell up from the practice squad?

my gut tells me that they'd like to have someone as a 1st and 2nd down guy and then have moore as the 3rd down and return guy as he usually would be. last thing they need right now is an injury to moore that might be due to overuse.

so... wait... did they bring russell up from the practice squad?

my gut tells me that they'd like to have someone as a 1st and 2nd down guy and then have moore as the 3rd down and return guy as he usually would be. last thing they need right now is an injury to moore that might be due to overuse.

Yes, they brought Russell up from the practice squad. And right now, Moore is being given the start, but Tomlin acknowledges that there may be a committee approach to the position this week. There is virtually no chance that Davenport puts up any kind of significant numbers this week.

I don't expect much of anything. Hide the clothes baskets folks.

hes #2 on the depth chart

Russell is actually the backup, not Davenport:

News: Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians named Russell as the top backup for starting running back Mewelde Moore in Week 5, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Spin: Russell is probably the best pure runner currently active for the Steelers. "Gary is a solid downhill runner," said Arians. "It's just been a numbers game at times with him. I wouldn't mind giving it to him 20 times a game. I've been waiting a couple years to see what he can really do." The best chance Russell has for extended action might be after an injury to Moore, something that's become a frequent occurrence with Pittsburgh backs.

I took a flier on him today after reading that, just in case Mewelde ends up getting hurt or not being effective. I don't really expect him to get anywhere near 20 touches, but he could have value if they end up splitting carries.