Sign in to follow this  
Cretins

Tailgating - cold food ideas?

So a group of 20 of us are heading out to a game in a couple of weeks (I only make 1 or 2 games a year), and because of the group size we've decided to rent a mini bus. Many reasons for the rental. No worries about drinking and driving, no losing each other on the road, party en route, etc etc.

Anyway, one huge problem we just found out is that we can't bring any sort of propane or gas with us on the bus. Suddenly all our plans of traditional tailgating grub is out the window! We're scrambling to see if we can track down some charcoal BBQ's and trying to think of alternate options for food. You know. Food appropriate for tailgating. No ceasar salads (yes, I was with someone that brought ceasar salad a few years back), no finger sandwiches. Just good old manly tailgating food!

So now I turn to you, fellow FF fans, for suggestions on what we can bring with us. 20 guys arriving on a bus, pulling out coolers of beer and ________. What works well tailgating that doesn't require fire? We're going to have the standard munchies like nachos and such, but what can replace the good old sausages and ribs? We were going to try smoked turkey legs this year, but they're just not as good cold.

Any ideas/input would be appreciated! We're hoping it doesn't come to kidnapping someone else's propane tank when they're not looking... :pointstosky:

If you're a Packers fan....Fruit Loops would work :pointstosky:

Go to your local Meijer/Walmart/drug store/we sell everything store and buy a cheap charcoal grill or several small cheap charcoal grills....

Then buy some charcoal.....then buy something to light said charcoal....

Then have at it!

Or....you just buy a ###### load of jerky/peanuts/sunflower seeds/etc.....or your left with salads of any sort...potato/macaroni/tuna....but those are sides that go with MEAT!!!!!!!

GET A CHARCOAL GRILL!!!!!!! It's the only way to grill anyway!

Well, if you don't go for the obvious charcoal grill ideas, you can also do a CrockPot with pulled pork.

You also did not give out the time of the game, but for 1:00 games, we sometimes do breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.). You can do a griddle pretty easily with a regular car adapter if you get a AC/DC converter.

The other option is just to get a side of beef and eat the meat right off the carcass like real men. Your choice. :blink:

He asked for cold food ideas guys.

My suggestion is to order 10 pizzas the night before but don't open them. Let them sit out all night then take them to the game. Who can dispute that cold pizza is the best cooked food served cold that goes with beer?!!!

About 25 years ago a local bar chartered a bus for a trip to a Cleve/Buff game. The bar owner filled the bus with many cases of imported beer, about 25 bottles of schnapps, Jack Daniels, rum, you name it. He also had 400 corned beef/swiss & roast beef sandwiches which turned into an easily stored and accessible food that required no refrigeration. A bit of over-kill, but there were lots of them left when we got back and noone left hungry.

Needless to say, the 40 people on the bus were all drunk as skunks by the time we got to the game which really helped because the game was played in a steady rain in about 35 degree weather.

The bus driver was drunk by the time the game was over and the trip back was a bit uneasy, but was highlighted by 7 of us playing poker on a seat cushion in the middle of the aisle.

All in all it was a blast, but wouldn't want to do it again remembering the 3 day hangover.

The sandwiches are a good cold food remedy for your tail-gating party.

A.) just buy some damn lunch meat & cheese(s) - ketchup/mayo/mustard - a few loaves of bread, a jar or 2 of pickles & get at it boy!

B.) fry up a sh!t load of bacon that morning - cut up lettuce/tomatoes - bring some mayo = BLTs

C.) buy a few roto-style chickens you find in the store (or do yer own) - cold chicken is the bomb!

D.) get a phone # to a pizza joint thats fairly close to the stadium & p/u the pizzas on the way in (its called "call ahead ordering") - thats a tip

E.) buy a freakin travel grill & quit bothering us Fellow FFToday'ers with gay posts (thats code for: bring a Caeser Salad) :thumbsdown:

Option A: Buy cheap grills. Insert charcoal. Char meat. Eat. Rinse. Repeat.

Option B: Go with the sandwich idea. Keep the meat, fixings, etc. on ice. Make sammiches there so they're not soggy.

Option C: Take your gas grill. Purchase gas tank in local area. Char meat. Eat. Rinse. Repeat.

Option D: Drink until you're full. If you're eating, you're cheating.

Other than that... :thumbsdown:

HTH

\D.) get a phone # to a pizza joint thats fairly close to the stadium & p/u the pizzas on the way in (its called "call ahead ordering") - thats a tip

\

:rolleyes:

Here is what you need as long as small sterno cans used to heat food don't get you in trouble. A party pack of chafer trays. You cook some items ahead of time and reheat them with the chafer/sterno setup. You can buy frozen things like wings, meatballs and mac+cheese (Sam's Club, Gordon's Food Service, Costco) which come in aluminum tins which fit right into the chafers. It couldn't be easier.

http://www.reliablepaper.com/ProductDetail...1&Click=671 or this:

http://www.partyinakit.com/modules/cart/pr...name/ChafingSet

I got my set at a Party City store. Sam's Club, Wal-Mart or Target might have them too. Of course you can order online as well. We use them every time we have a party at home too.

Don't really have any ideas for cold food options....

But don't go the sub route many are saying. That is classic chick tailgating at its finest.

Get the cheap charcoal grill, there is no reason not too.

im suprised only 1 person mentioned subs.

id even say screw jersey mikes. get some subs from your local sub shop. no chain BS.

i also like the cold pizza idea.

subs, cold pizza and beer.... perfect

a lot of people prefer cold fried chicken: what about cold chicken tenders? cold wings? cold calzones?

a lot of people prefer cold fried chicken: what about cold chicken tenders? cold wings? cold calzones?

snap that just reminded me... at a few family gatherings we had a big trays of cold buffalo chicken tenders premade from a supermarket.

I have Chicken Primavera, ceasar salad, and pork tenderloins(with a rasberry reduction) at every game I tailgate at.

My friends just sit back and chill with Chardonnay and the finest of champagnes.

Pretty shocked. Thought that's what everyone did when they tailgated.

Must just mean that I'm a better person.

I have Chicken Primavera, ceasar salad, and pork tenderloins(with a rasberry reduction) at every game I tailgate at.

My friends just sit back and chill with Chardonnay and the finest of champagnes.

Pretty shocked. Thought that's what everyone did when they tailgated.

Must just mean that I'm a better person.

you eat like a poor person

The only cold food tailgate option is BEER! :bandana: Sissy!

Not only that, but if you continue to pound the aforementioned "food", real food becomes completely unnecessary, and will kill your beer buzz.

But seriously, keep it simple if you're on a road trip. A couple of 6-foot-long subs should do the trick nicely, add chips and all is good.

Not only that, but if you continue to pound the aforementioned "food", real food becomes completely unnecessary, and will kill your beer buzz.

But seriously, keep it simple if you're on a road trip. A couple of 6-foot-long subs should do the trick nicely, add chips and all is good.

just make sure if you dont have food that you dont also run out of beer on the way home from the game or you will get really really angry

Fur burger! not many carbs!

No, not many carbs, but you have the possibility of crabs , and face it, seafood has no business at a tailgate.

snap that just reminded me... at a few family gatherings we had a big trays of cold buffalo chicken tenders premade from a supermarket.

yeah, like every supermarket deli has them, as well as chains like chik-fil-a, zaxby's, guthrie's, raisin' cains, etc.

Despite someone calling it chick food.

Sub sammiches are the way to go if you are too much of a sissy to get a charcoal grill.

And no, don't go to Subway or freakin Jersey Mikes (like they are any better than Subway).

Make your own.

And not with some Wonder bread.

Get some nice sub rolls and do em up right.

Cook your bacon before you leave...get some good sandwich sliced country ham and some smoke turkey. And make a damn good club sub.

People eating subs while tailgating.

:mad:

Im not talking some light turkey on wonder bread with balsamic vinaigrette on it...Im talking a man's hoagie.

And again, thats only if the guy is not tough enough to burn some charcoal and sear some animal flesh.

Im not talking some light turkey on wonder bread with balsamic vinaigrette on it...Im talking a man's hoagie.

And again, thats only if the guy is not tough enough to burn some charcoal and sear some animal flesh.

Got ya.

I just can't imagine going to a game and not tailgating to the fullest.

My friends from college a few years back went to a Bills game with me. Making plans for the tailgating, they were planning on getting some subs and getting to the stadium at 1030 for a 1:00 game. I looked at them like they were joking but they weren't. We ended up doing it the only way I know how, and they thanked me for it.

Pasta salad. Lots of ingredients. Very inexpensive to make a LOAD of it. Very filling.

a real man wouldn't need to cook the flesh

Pasta salad. Lots of ingredients. Very inexpensive to make a LOAD of it. Very filling.

do your testicles go into the pasta salad as well? :D

Get those darn cheap charcoal grills, charcoal, lighter fluid, steaks and such - do it right or give up your tickets. :D

Make sure you have enough beer for after the game as well as some food - tailgating after the game could be almost as much fun.

Fur burger! not many carbs!

I dunno; sounds kind of fishy to me. <_<

Mephisto, you are no longer my idol.

Isn't it generally assumed that when tailgating, we're going to get polluted with mass quantities of alcohol? People taking salads, etc.....you all are going to the HELL where Barry Mannilow sings endlessly, only t.v. you got is Richard Simmons working out 24/7 with the sweathogs, and Rosanne Barr shows slideshows of her latest OB/GYN visit. :thumbsdown:

Foodwise, if you can't put jalepenos or hot sauce on it, it has no business at a tailgate party. :wall:

I dunno; sounds kind of fishy to me. :pointstosky:

Mephisto, you are no longer my idol.

Isn't it generally assumed that when tailgating, we're going to get polluted with mass quantities of alcohol? People taking salads, etc.....you all are going to the HELL where Barry Mannilow sings endlessly, only t.v. you got is Richard Simmons working out 24/7 with the sweathogs, and Rosanne Barr shows slideshows of her latest OB/GYN visit. :rolleyes:

Foodwise, if you can't put jalepenos or hot sauce on it, it has no business at a tailgate party. :wall:

Do you even know what a "pasta salad" looks like, jackass? One that just might happen to include jalapenos, hot sauce, and copious amounts of beer to keep you straight and steady (and perhaps out of jail)?

You dumbass.

The only option when you can't cook is a bucket of chicken legs! Make sure you get about 2x more than you think. I promise you won't be disappointed. They will be good before and after the game.

monster pastrami sandwiches...new york style. dripping in russian dressing or spicy brown mustard. also, 8 layered dip is pretty bad for you, that's cold and always a good time. mmm, pastrami though. i might go get me one of those right now. a heart attack waiting to happen.

Do you even know what a "pasta salad" looks like, jackass? One that just might happen to include jalapenos, hot sauce, and copious amounts of beer to keep you straight and steady (and perhaps out of jail)?

You dumbass.

Yes, I know what pasta salad looks like. It looks like some food some homo like you would take to a tailgate party and the real men would stomp the vaseline out of your faggoty azz.

I bet you take a salami with you as well, tucked in your anal cavity. :pointstosky:

Like I said get some of those cheap charcoal grills.

Here's the key to the tailgate. Get plenty of skirt steaks. Marinate them in zip lock bags with plenty of Lawry's Terriyaki marinade. The way the skirt steaks are with built in grooves in them, they absorb the shioot out of the marinade. :thumbsdown: They also grill fairly easy as they are not very thick. Put on hoagie hero bread or just eat like a man with fork and knife.

Key is to marinade them for 2 days, possibly 3. Once or twice a day turn the bag.