Sign in to follow this  
robertd52

Did anyone else notice this play by Davis at the end of the 2nd half of the Niners game?

I havent gotten great vibes from Davis on SF this year....from the limited knowledge that I have...ill start by saying that.

HOWEVER....I noticed something in the highlights of this last game. Aside from Davis pushing up the facemask of the opponets helmet and getting the penalty, I also noticed that he was the ONE player that attempted to tackle the Hawks player who intercepted JTOs pass right before the end of the half that got returned for a TD.

He ALMOST got the guy, actually got hands on him before he got into the endzone, but the momentum took him in and they scored anyways (and basically opened up the game to a point where it was over before the 2nd half started).

Now, I dont rull out the fact that Davis made that "hustle play" simply to "show off" his athletic ability...but honestly, if that were the case I would respect Singletarys post game comments a bit more if he mentioned this play. Something like "hey, I appreciate that Davis tried to make that tackle at the end of the 2nd half...it shows that his ability, and it shows that he has the potential to play for your team, HOWEVER, its 4 quarters, and he needs to finish the same way rather then getting late penalties and giving up on the game".

Why the media or no one else talks about this play at the end of the second half is beyond me.....That WAS Davis who was attempted to chase down that corner at the end of the second half INT right?

Ill tell you, im still slightly torn. Sure, Singletary is a man...intense. Thats great for football. But part of me is left wondering that maybe this little outburst in "week 1" is a bit too "emotional" for his own good.....time will tell...

I get what you're saying, but I'll give you some insight. First off, I'm an ex-Davis owner for the past 2 seasons.

He's a prima-donna. On the same level as TO, Ocho, etc.

The only problem is he hasn't done a thing in his career.

You are right about that particular play, but his stupid mistakes have been going on since he was a rookie.

So much talent, and yet he only uses a portion of it.

I get what you're saying, but I'll give you some insight. First off, I'm an ex-Davis owner for the past 2 seasons.

He's a prima-donna. On the same level as TO, Ocho, etc.

The only problem is he hasn't done a thing in his career.

You are right about that particular play, but his stupid mistakes have been going on since he was a rookie.

So much talent, and yet he only uses a portion of it.

I agree...he seems like a b1tch.

That said, a coach makes men better....PERIOD. That is his (or her) job, in ANY sport.

A GOOD coach knows how to pull that out of the people they are dealing with.

I just wonder if this Davis situation couldnt have been handled better "in the media". He has FLAT thrown Davis under the bus now...he hasnt "called him out", he has straight b1tched him out.

Why not call out his physical abilities of the play before half time, and THEN say that he doesnt give a FUUCK if the guy can catch anyone in the league, if he cant be smart enough to FINISH a game with class, then he wont make it in this league.

THAT would tell Davis that he DOES acknowledge his talent, his ability, and also show that he DOES think that he can do it, and its up to Davis to finish the job.

Davis strikes me as one of those college players that hasnt figured out how to deal with the fact that college isnt like the pros, and his talent alone isnt enough to make him get his d1ck wet every night :wave:

I saw him chasing that guy down too and thought it showed some heart on Davis' part (then again, every pro athlete should have that in them - it is their job afterall). Right after I watched that clip though it was followed by the news of him being sent to the showers by Singletary, so I didn't know what the deal was.

Regarding Davis' play however, the guy has a lot to prove. Right now he seems to be one of the the biggest Top 10 busts in recent memory. At this point I'm wondering if he'd be better off on another team once he gets the chance to leave San Francisco.

I'm not one to think athletic talent alone makes a player good, but in Davis' case I thought it would be enough to assure he was some type of impact player on the 49ers offense. I never thought he'd be struggling as badly as he currently is.

From a physical standpoint it amazes me that Davis isn't at least average.

I do think Singletary wanted to make his presence felt, and it just so happened that Davis was in the right spot at the wrong time.

Maybe he was targeted, but I think Singletary used Davis as a example of a great physical talent from college, that expects things to just happen.

2 lineman and the WR targeted on the play also all chase after the guy after the interception but he's just too fast for them. Davis stayed in to help block on the same side of the play and ended up being the farthest player back. This play shows off his incredible size and speed but I don't see why he deserves some great credit for trying to tackle someone after an interception.

I posted this in the press conf thread. Details on what happened and some of the other 49ers reaction to it.

"You don't need to be sayin' nothin' to me right now," Davis barked at the coach, according to witnesses. Singletary ordered Davis to take a seat on the bench, and shortly thereafter the coach approached and stressed the importance of avoiding stupid penalties.

"I said I don't need to hear it," Davis snapped, cutting him off.

Meanwhile, on the 49ers' sidelines, most of Davis' teammates were quietly singing the praises of 'Coach Sing.' "

Explained one veteran defender: "Vernon does this crap all the time, and Nolan would always let it go. He created this monster. The good news is that Coach Sing wasn't having that."

Added another veteran defender: "No one's bigger than the team, right? We were all happy to see that this (expletive) won't be tolerated."

:wub:

2 lineman and the WR targeted on the play also all chase after the guy after the interception but he's just too fast for them. Davis stayed in to help block on the same side of the play and ended up being the farthest player back. This play shows off his incredible size and speed but I don't see why he deserves some great credit for trying to tackle someone after an interception.

I posted this in the press conf thread. Details on what happened and some of the other 49ers reaction to it.

:thumbsdown:

Enough said, I didnt see or hear these exact qoutes before...thanks.

Regardless of the Singletary issue/press conference incident, it would help if the Niners had a decent QB. It's hard to guage a talented player's usefulness, if he's completely under-utilized, no?

I saw the play live and my first reaction was "Who is that offensive lineman chasing down the DB?" When I realized it was Davis I was still impressed a guy that size could run like that. Maybe the public flogging will help him pull his head out of his buttocks and live up to his potential.

Since Shaun Hill seems to like to dump the ball off quickly (who could blame him with that O-line) does anyone think Davis could start producing?

So Singletary should have acknowledged that Vernon Davis did what every football player on the field is supposed to be doing, his job, by trying to tackle an opposing player with the ball. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but when my alarm clock goes off at 545am and I get out of bed, I don't have the CEOs of my company giving me a round of applause because I'm doing a part of what is essentially my work day.

He's nothing but a punk who will get thrown onto the rest of the punk scrap pile that is accumulating via Goodell unless he straightens his act out ASAP.

Yes, it's impressive has hell that a BIG TE like Davis ran down a DB. However, Davis doesn't put that talent to work on the field and from all descriptions doesn't have a high football IQ. Until he worries less about flexing in front of the mirror and more about running his routes properly and blocking, he's dead weight.

I havent gotten great vibes from Davis on SF this year....from the limited knowledge that I have...ill start by saying that.

HOWEVER....I noticed something in the highlights of this last game. Aside from Davis pushing up the facemask of the opponets helmet and getting the penalty, I also noticed that he was the ONE player that attempted to tackle the Hawks player who intercepted JTOs pass right before the end of the half that got returned for a TD.

He ALMOST got the guy, actually got hands on him before he got into the endzone, but the momentum took him in and they scored anyways (and basically opened up the game to a point where it was over before the 2nd half started).

Now, I dont rull out the fact that Davis made that "hustle play" simply to "show off" his athletic ability...but honestly, if that were the case I would respect Singletarys post game comments a bit more if he mentioned this play. Something like "hey, I appreciate that Davis tried to make that tackle at the end of the 2nd half...it shows that his ability, and it shows that he has the potential to play for your team, HOWEVER, its 4 quarters, and he needs to finish the same way rather then getting late penalties and giving up on the game".

Why the media or no one else talks about this play at the end of the second half is beyond me.....That WAS Davis who was attempted to chase down that corner at the end of the second half INT right?

Ill tell you, im still slightly torn. Sure, Singletary is a man...intense. Thats great for football. But part of me is left wondering that maybe this little outburst in "week 1" is a bit too "emotional" for his own good.....time will tell...

I thought Singletary's comments were so simplistic everyone would understand him but it looks like I was wrong.

Davis is in the wrong system and have been since day one in the NFL.

Put him in Indy, New Orleans, New York, Dallas and his career path would had been completely different.

There are those who want to recognize that play as a "hustle play." And then there are those, like Singletary and myself, who feel that there is no such thing as a hustle play... and those are plays that every player is supposed to try and make. Now a lot of players don't have the athletic talent to make plays like that, but the Niners recognize that talent through a paycheck. No one congraulates me on doing my job, and you can sure as hell bet if I wasn't doing my job someone would say something. This is no different.

Put him in Indy, New Orleans, New York, Dallas and his career path would had been completely different.

Yes, he needed to be in a passing-oriented offense where route discipline is stressed. Davis was always a freelancer at Maryland and never learned to run routes. He'd just pick an open spot in the field and run toward it. History shows that he will forever be a bust, but with that talent he could become the exception.

Nuff said. :doublethumbsup: Considering this, I don't think anyone should consider Davis a bust on his own merits alone. The results of his performance over the these initial few years has been 80% system/quarterback and coaching. A talent like Davis considering his college history needs consistency....period.

Given a consistent system to develop under, Davis will live up to his expectations.

I noticed the same thing when seeing highlights the other day and wondered why they didn't mention his hustle.

So Singletary should have acknowledged that Vernon Davis did what every football player on the field is supposed to be doing, his job, by trying to tackle an opposing player with the ball. :dunno:

I'm sorry, but when my alarm clock goes off at 545am and I get out of bed, I don't have the CEOs of my company giving me a round of applause because I'm doing a part of what is essentially my work day.

He's nothing but a punk who will get thrown onto the rest of the punk scrap pile that is accumulating via Goodell unless he straightens his act out ASAP.

WINNER!!!!!! :overhead: