Sign in to follow this  
Ricky's Swami

Who went WR-heavy in your drafts?

I tried the drafting-WRs-early-method this year in my main 12-team big $ league and came away with...

Randy Moss

Calvin Johnson

Brandon Marshall

...as my stud WR core. :headbanger:

But now I'm struggling to find myself a consistent RB1 and RB2 (even after some roster adjustments during the season).

I'm in line for a shot at the playoffs but I think coaching my RB spots will be very tough.

I have only...

Chris Johnson

Tim Hightower

Jonathan Stewart

Ricky Williams

Cedric Benson

... as my RB core. :nono: (Usual starter in bold.)

I'm pretty strong everywhere else with Cutler as my QB, BAL and PIT as my D/STs and Longwell as my kicker but who thinks I can make a run for the Championship with that sorry RB core? (I won't be getting the bye week so I will need to win weeks 14, 15, 16 in a row.)

I'm past the trade deadline here so my nice WR depth of Lance Moore and Justin Gage won't help me improve my running attack. I'm going to try to pick up either PIT RB Gary Russell or BUF RB Fred Jackson off the ww for more RB depth but I don't see much else I can do to help my squad for a playoff push.

So, I guess the point of this thread is to see if any of you out there who also went WR heavy in 12 team leagues and have sorry RB squads have any suggestions for a playoff push.

P.S. Here are my RB schedules for the playoff weeks 14, 15, 16:

CJ3: vs. CLE, @ HOU, vs. PIT

Hightower: vs. STL, vs. MIN, @ NE

Jonathan Stewart: vs. TB, vs. DEN, @ NYG

Ricky Williams: @ BUF, vs. SF, @ KC

Cedric Benson: @ IND, vs. WSH, @ CLE

Yikes! Not a lot to like about those matchups except for my usual starters in week 14. Beyond that, if I'm lucky enough to advance, I'll have some serious coaching to do.

Any suggestions from teams out there with weak RB cores like mine?

In a 10 teamer went, WR, QB, WR, WR, RB, RB.

Moss, Romo, Marshall, Boldin, Turner, Graham.....sitting #1 in points, and 1 game back from 1st in Division....had a monster week !

Why are you soooo weak at RB.....what were your 5th and 6th Round picks ?

2 seperate leagues - 1 keeper from previous year - I was in the 9th hole (12 teamers).

Team #1 (can keep 1 keeper from year before after 2nd round)

keeper - Romo

9th pick - T.O

2nd round - Edwards

lost Bush and have been starting Chris Johson then rotating Lendale White and Jonathan Stewart - I missed every big week those two had from flip flopping match ups.

My season ended last night with a 5-7 record. T.O, Edwards, Vincent Jackson, and whichever WW #3 I could plug in - they all failed when I tried. I still had nice point totals, just couldn't get to the 7 wins which it takes for the playoffs. Lost some games with nice totals. I suppose that's how it goes.

Team #2 (1 keeper from year before counts as your 1st round- either Bush or Colston) - - 9 hole again in this league

Kept - Colston

9th pick - Colston

2nd round - T.O.

Maroney :thumbsup:

4th - Plaxico

I was pumped about Colston, T.O, and Burress

currently I'm very weak at Rb with loss of Maroney and Travis Henry (so we drafted late May). I playe Chris Johnson and Lendale White ;) - - and that's not saying much these past few weeks.

6-6 now and need a win. It's not over yet.

I still think the idea was ok especially drafting from such a late position. Not like I would have passed on a Portis or SJ if they were available.

12 teamer 8th pick non ppr and I went RB,WR,WR,,WR

Needless to say, I'm not going to do it again. It's just too important in my league to have quality RBs (you can start 3)

1. Barber

2. T.O.

3. Santonio :music_guitarred: (Could have had Jennings or Marshall here)

4. Calvin

5. DeAng

6. Kevin Smith (I was forced to release him at his low point in the year behind Rudy)

I started 1-3 and traded T.O. for Addai and picked up Rhodes who kept me afloat. Now I'm 9-4 and #1 in points with this starting crew:

Warner

Barber

Addai

DeAng

Calvin

Walter

Summary: As always, the team with the best trio of RBs mows em down in my league. I was convinced if I took the supposed "value" of the receivers in rounds 2-4 I'd be okay. I was wrong.

9th pick in both leagues

Went

R. Moss

Bryalon

Calvin

Romo

Edge

Not sure after that some combination of Cooley Chris Johnson, Slaton or something like that.

I am 5-6 with the most points in the league by 60-70 not sue I have a 21 point lead tonight with current high week going against Rodgers. Obviously if I lose I am done, I’ve got focked all over the ass in this league. I think avg margin of loss is 5 or something stupid

2nd league

Went

R. Moss

Braylon

Marshall

Witten

Chris Perry

Matt Forte

Cutler

Fargas

Slaton

6-6 in this league 4th most points in league in playoffs right now but it’s been a struggle made lots of mistakes benching Braylon and Randy during their good weeks etc

12 team redraft.

I didn't do it but in the league I play in a team picked Barber in the 1st and MJD in the 2nd and followed that up with WR's Housh, Calvin Johnson, Cotchery and Boldin with his next 4 picks. He took Edge in the 7th and Jonathan Stewart in the 10th, neither or whom are still on his team. He took Garrard in the 9th and Schaub in the 11th, neither of whom are on his team. He dropped Garrard in Week 2 and grabbed Rodgers of waivers and included Schaub in a trade to me in Week 7 that gave him Warner who I drafted in the 13th. Scheffler was his 8th round pick. He drafted Bills and Redskins as his D/ST and Keading as his Kicker. Overall he was made some smart waiver pickups landing Hillis as his 3 RB for now. His 4th RB and 2nd TE has been a revolving door currently with Caddy Williams and Jerramy Stevens. He is tied with me for first in our 6 team division but he has the better overall division record.

12 team league, had the 12th pick and took Randy Moss and TO. I also ended up with Roddy White, who I have been playing over TO. I also took Turner as my top RB and was smart enough to draft Slaton as well. QB's are Favre annd Cutler.

Basically I am 11-1 and will have a bye. Yay me!

10 teamer, 8th pick. Went WR heavy because that's what the draft brought me.

Marshawn Lynch 1.08

Reggie Wayne 2.03

Andre Johnson 3.08

Michael Turner 4.03

Brandon Marshall 5.08 (drafted when he was still looking at 3 game suspension)

Kevin Smith 6.03

As it is right now, I'm winnning IN SPITE of my WR core. All of those 3 (Wayne, Johnson and Marshall) started hot but are barely maintaining their place in the top 15 on yrds alone (hardly any TD's recently). Cutler (who I drafted in the 7th), Turner, Lynch, the Steelers D and Thigpen are carrying my team despite the poor play of my WR. I should also point out that I had Santana Moss (drafted but traded away) and have Colston (who I picked up off WW but am about to release back into the wild in the hopes he gets eaten for all the frustration he's brought me). The hardest part is Marshall and Cutler, who I counted on to be able to stand up to the Warner/Boldin duo that one team has in my league. Next year I'll overpay for RB's and avoid stockpiling of WR because they are simply too unreliable IMO.

Thanks for all the responses but this thread aint making me feel any better.

Sounds like I'm lucky to even be in the playoffs with a RB core as weak as mine.

Maybe I should change the title to...

"ANY SUPER SLEEPER RBs YOU CAN RECOMMEND TO SAVE MY SEASON?"

Seriously, I was lucky CJ3 turned out to be solid and Hightower overtook Edge. I guess I was also thinking Ronnie Brown wouldn't hold up coming off that ACL injury from last year and that Ricky could potentially have a huge year.

I also never thought DeAngelo Williams would be playing like LT2 and be a top 5 ranked RB in my league by week 12. Jonathan Stewart should've relegated DeAngelo to a 3rd down back but that just didn't happen. :thumbsup:

I had the 2nd pick and ended up with AP first, then in no particular order I got Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Santana Moss. I also have McGahee. My QBs are Warner and Cutler. I picked up Warner in about the 12th round. I am in first place, and if the 2nd place team loses tonight (which looks probable) and I win (which also looks probable) I clinch first place for the regular season.

This is my dynasty team that was drafted just this year I'm 10 - 2 trailing going into tonight. With Drew Brees and GB special teams vs Crosby, DT- Clancy , and CB- Williams and a 10 pt deficit. I'm currently 2nd in points scored and in 2nd place overall. I have zero depth a rb corp that scares no one except the Chiefs, but somehow I keep winning. I've locked up my division, and am 3 games better than the 3rd place team.

Brees, Drew NOS QB 210.00 9

Brohm, Brian GBP QB ® - 8

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB 192.00 8

Lewis, Jamal CLE RB 105.00 5

Norwood, Jerious ATL RB (Q) 81.00 7

Omon, Xavier BUF RB ® - 6

Taylor, Chris FA RB (I) 3.00 -

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB 61.00 9

White, LenDale TEN RB (P) 108.00 6

Young, Selvin DEN RB (D) 29.00 8

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR 129.00 6

Bryant, Antonio TBB WR 98.00 10

Colston, Marques NOS WR (P) 30.00 9

Davis, Craig SDC WR (I) 6.00 9

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 166.00 7

Johnson, Bryant SFO WR 52.00 9

Kelly, Malcolm WAS WR ® 2.00 10

Rice, Sidney MIN WR 28.00 8

Robinson, Laurent ATL WR (O) 6.00 7

Wade, Bobby MIN WR (Q) 59.00 8

Walker, Mike JAC WR 21.00 7

Davis, Vernon SFO TE 45.00 9

Fasano, Anthony MIA TE 62.00 4

Scheffler, Tony DEN TE (P) 60.00 8

Rackers, Neil ARI PK 102.00 7

Bannan, Justin BAL DT 59.00 2

Tyler, Tank KCC DT 45.50 6

Wilfork, Vince NEP DT 65.00 4

Freeney, Dwight IND DE 57.00 4

Harvey, Derrick JAC DE ® 32.00 7

Kiwanuka, Mathias NYG DE 70.00 4

Suggs, Terrell BAL DE 115.50 2

Tuck, Justin NYG DE 114.00 4

Brackett, Gary IND LB (Q) 142.50 4

Dansby, Karlos ARI LB 136.50 7

Davis, Andra CLE LB 82.50 5

Farrior, James PIT LB 120.00 6

Mayo, Jerod NEP LB ® 129.00 4

Thomas, Bryan NYJ LB 76.50 5

Gamble, Chris CAR CB 132.00 9

Atogwe, Oshiomogho STL S 123.50 5

Pollard, Bernard KCC S 104.50 6

Weddle, Eric SDC S 134.50 9

Lions, Detroit DET ST 38.00 4

Packers, Green Bay GBP ST 48.00 8

Of my 7 teams, I have a couple where I went WR heavy... I also listed my RBs. All of them are 12-team redraft leagues. In most of my leagues, my RB play has just killed me even though they are names like MBIII, Westbrook, Addai, etc so I am glad that I had some great WRs to score enough pts each week to keep me alive.

Team 3 (6-6 in $$ League, just won 1st Rd playoff game)

---------

TO, S Smith (Car), Braylon, Gates

Westbrook, Ronnie, Hillis (WW pickup for Torain), Deuce, Caddy

Team 5 (9-3 clinched one of 4 playoff spots)

---------

TO, Marshall, Boldin, Plax, Colston (WW pickup)

MBIII, Ronnie, Addai (WW), Grant (WW), Slaton (WW)

TEAM 6 (8-4 & on the bubble of making the 4 team playoffs w/ 2 games to go)

---------

R Moss, Colston, Braylon, Gates

MBIII, Slaton, Jacobs, Chris Johnson, Caddy

People who are still available in some of my leagues: Hillis, Ricky, McFadden, Ward, Bradshaw, Norwood, Arrington, P Thomas, Julius, Dunn, Caddy, Rhodes, Faulk, Fargas

Hillis - at the very least will get the goalline carries. Don't think other Bronco RBs can play well enough to take his job

McFadden - may finally be healthy & apparently will get goalline carries for OAK (whatever that is worth)

Rhodes - appears to have solidified his role as the Colts redzone back

Ward - will be huge if Jacobs remains injured or gets reinjured down the road

Dunn - w/ Graham out & Caddy still recovering Dunn is in a spot where he could be huge... he catches the ball well too

Hope that helps!

I think it's a great strategy these days with so many RBBC, and especially if you are in a league that can start 3 WR. Last year I had the 1st pick (LT) then went wr,wr,wr. Had the most points and made the playoffs. This year I had the 10th pick, took Moss, TO, then Braylon fell in my lap (ended up trading him for MJD). Got Cutler in rd8. I'm second in points and will make the playoffs with a win this week.

I think it's a great strategy these days with so many RBBC, and especially if you are in a league that can start 3 WR. Last year I had the 1st pick (LT) then went wr,wr,wr. Had the most points and made the playoffs. This year I had the 10th pick, took Moss, TO, then Braylon fell in my lap (ended up trading him for MJD). Got Cutler in rd8. I'm second in points and will make the playoffs with a win this week.

:doh: This is so true. Look at all the QBs you could have drafted late or picked up from the WW this year: Warner, Cassel, Ryan, Thigpen, Orton, Edwards, Pennington, etc

The RBBC's have really made it tough to know which RB to play. Look at Addai / Rhodes yesterday.

I didn't intend to go WR heavy, but I was drafting in the 8th spot and I decided to go for WR's after the 2nd round due to how other teams were drafting. 10 team league 3 starting WR's. Here are the first half of my picks by round:

1) Randy Moss

2) Larry Johnson

3) Colston

4) Plaxico

5) Clark

6) FWP

7) Graham

8) Driver

I traded Larry Johnson for TO + Jamal Lewis after week 4, so at that point I had a pretty insane WR core on paper. I ended up shipping Plaxico + Graham for Gore a couple weeks later, so now I'm going with TO, Moss, Colston, Driver.

It's crazy that all of my stud WR's have had to deal with either injuries to themselves or injuries to their stud QB's during the season, but I've somehow managed to tread water and I'm im pretty decent position in the #4 spot in my league. I'm liking Moss + TO down the stretch, but Colston has been a pretty big bust thus far and it's gonna be either hit or miss the rest of the way :/

This is my dynasty team that was drafted just this year I'm 10 - 2 trailing going into tonight. With Drew Brees and GB special teams vs Crosby, DT- Clancy , and CB- Williams and a 10 pt deficit. I'm currently 2nd in points scored and in 2nd place overall. I have zero depth a rb corp that scares no one except the Chiefs, but somehow I keep winning. I've locked up my division, and am 3 games better than the 3rd place team.

Brees, Drew NOS QB 210.00 9

Brohm, Brian GBP QB ® - 8

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB 192.00 8

Lewis, Jamal CLE RB 105.00 5

Norwood, Jerious ATL RB (Q) 81.00 7

Omon, Xavier BUF RB ® - 6

Taylor, Chris FA RB (I) 3.00 -

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB 61.00 9

White, LenDale TEN RB (P) 108.00 6

Young, Selvin DEN RB (D) 29.00 8

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR 129.00 6

Bryant, Antonio TBB WR 98.00 10

Colston, Marques NOS WR (P) 30.00 9

Davis, Craig SDC WR (I) 6.00 9

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 166.00 7

Johnson, Bryant SFO WR 52.00 9

Kelly, Malcolm WAS WR ® 2.00 10

Rice, Sidney MIN WR 28.00 8

Robinson, Laurent ATL WR (O) 6.00 7

Wade, Bobby MIN WR (Q) 59.00 8

Walker, Mike JAC WR 21.00 7

Davis, Vernon SFO TE 45.00 9

Fasano, Anthony MIA TE 62.00 4

Scheffler, Tony DEN TE (P) 60.00 8

Rackers, Neil ARI PK 102.00 7

Bannan, Justin BAL DT 59.00 2

Tyler, Tank KCC DT 45.50 6

Wilfork, Vince NEP DT 65.00 4

Freeney, Dwight IND DE 57.00 4

Harvey, Derrick JAC DE ® 32.00 7

Kiwanuka, Mathias NYG DE 70.00 4

Suggs, Terrell BAL DE 115.50 2

Tuck, Justin NYG DE 114.00 4

Brackett, Gary IND LB (Q) 142.50 4

Dansby, Karlos ARI LB 136.50 7

Davis, Andra CLE LB 82.50 5

Farrior, James PIT LB 120.00 6

Mayo, Jerod NEP LB ® 129.00 4

Thomas, Bryan NYJ LB 76.50 5

Gamble, Chris CAR CB 132.00 9

Atogwe, Oshiomogho STL S 123.50 5

Pollard, Bernard KCC S 104.50 6

Weddle, Eric SDC S 134.50 9

Lions, Detroit DET ST 38.00 4

Packers, Green Bay GBP ST 48.00 8

What does this have to do with the topic :doh:

What does this have to do with the topic :mad:

My WR's Fitz, Colston, Bowe, were 3 of my first 4 picks (Brees was the other). I didn't draft a rb until Lewis in the 6th and. Lenwhale in the 7th for that draft. Just got lazy and copy pasted the whole team, which is now 11-2 so my lack of a running game hasn't killed me.

I tried it for the 1st time ever this year.

Traded my 1st round pick for another persons 2nd and 3rd rounder.

my 1st 2 picks. Edwards and Marshall :mad:

I went Moss, Owens and Calvin Johnson. I'm leading my league in scoring and record. My other guys are Turner, Kevin Smith, Slaton, and Rodgers. I was a pick away from drafting Forte.

I got autodrafted because the commish changed the start time.

Then, 9 weeks into the season I pulled off a trade for Addai... and he veto'd it because he said it wasn't fair (despite both teams being playoff teams). So yeah, my season is kinda screwed. Yahoo drafted me: Westy, Welker, Fitzgerald, S Smith.

So yeah, starting the wrong RB2 of JJones/MMorris every week is killing me. Also, Reid is a douche (both for Westy's sucking and McNabb's suckage).

I play in a very competitive PPR money league.

I went WR heavy and currently have one of the top teams.

My first pick hurt, but not that bad: Randy Moss

Then I took Housh.

Then followed up with Brees. $$

I took both starting RBs in the middle rounds: Thomas Jones and Matt Forte. Both have been $$.

Late rounders that paid off: in the 15th round I took Steve Breaston. He was a beast when Boldin was out.

Got Hines Ward in the 6th round. He's a PPR machine.

Overall, it's my best FF team in 10 years.

Had TO, Calvin, Steve Smith, and Boldin.....

Traded away TO and calvin for welker, brees, and j. stewart....

I have P. Manning & Brees (2 qbs), Smith, Boldin, Welker (.5 PPR) and my rbs have no consistency, but i have played matchups perfectly with memo, lendale, pierre, jstewart, sammy morris, etc....

#1 in points and 1st place :cheers:

I went RB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB and got:

Addai

TO

Marshall

Calvin

Turner

TJ

I then picked up Cutler in the 9th, Chris Johnson in the 10th, and Bowe in there somewhere. It has worked out well. 1st in both total points and record.

I got autodrafted because the commish changed the start time.

Then, 9 weeks into the season I pulled off a trade for Addai... and he veto'd it because he said it wasn't fair (despite both teams being playoff teams). So yeah, my season is kinda screwed. Yahoo drafted me: Westy, Welker, Fitzgerald, S Smith.

So yeah, starting the wrong RB2 of JJones/MMorris every week is killing me. Also, Reid is a douche (both for Westy's sucking and McNabb's suckage).

You either need to get out of that league, or get a new commish !!!! :overhead:

12 team league, had the 12th pick and took Randy Moss and TO. I also ended up with Roddy White, who I have been playing over TO. I also took Turner as my top RB and was smart enough to draft Slaton as well. QB's are Favre annd Cutler.

Basically I am 11-1 and will have a bye. Yay me!

You and I had a similiar draft and teams. The only difference was I drafted Wayne instead of Moss He was taken early first round. Slaton was my 3rd RB but when Bush went down, I had no problem inserting him. My WR are Wayne, White and T.O. My QB's are Rogers and Roths. I'm #1 in points and in first place by 1 game. If i win this week, I get a first round by. My line up this week will be:

Rogers

Slaton

Turner

Wayne

White

TO

Bo Scaife

Rackers

Miami's Def

I am 5-6 with the most points in the league by 60-70 not sue I have a 21 point lead tonight with current high week going against Rodgers. Obviously if I lose I am done, I’ve got focked all over the ass in this league. I think avg margin of loss is 5 or something stupid

2nd league

wasnt me   

best draft ever: out of the 2 spot

ADP

Andre Johnson

Housh

Boldin

Marshall

Gonzalas (TE)

Rodgers at QB...

I proceeded to ruin the team trading ADP, Andre Johnson, and EDwards (trent) for SJAX, Owens, and Palmer before the season... holy crap that sucked...

Then I traded boldin and Graham (rb tampa) for Marshawn lynch. I thought I was awesome, but boy did I suck it up...

I am now 6-6 and on the outside looking in (2nd in points though)

Went Portis, MJD (I know), then A. Johnson, B. Marshall, C. Johnson. 10-2 in my 10 man league. Tied for first.

See this might belong in a RB RB thread but not a WR heavy thread.

So did you just want to post your roster?

I've always been a rb heavy drafter, but decided to try going WR heavy this year. We have to start 3 WR and in the past, my WR depth has hurt me. So after Portis @ 10, I took Fitz, Colston, and Marshall. I got lucky with Chris Johnson late, but after him, I'm really hurting for any other depth. I was also targeting Cutler late, so I was able to spend all my middle round picks on RB depth.

I realize I got lucky with Chris Johnson and Cutler. Had those 2 picks not panned out, I'd be hosed. Next year I'll be drafting another RB early.