Sign in to follow this  
Texansfan

What I HATE about fantasy football...

My team was DOMINANT all season long. I finished the regular season with the #1 seed at 10-2-1 and also led the league in points scored.

I had a bye for the 1st round of the playoffs last week and of course my team WENT OFF.

This week I had my first playoff game against the #6 seed (last team that barely made it in the playoffs).

So of course my team lays an egg led by Jay Cutler & Brandon Marshall (F U BOTH).

I was still holding a glimmer of hope until last night when Tashard Choice runs in long TD in garbage time of the Sunday Night game. Yes this guy actually played a 3rd string RB against one of the toughest run defense of in the NFL and of course he goes off for 22 points. Go FOCKING figure...

So now an entire season of dominance is going down the drain to complete dogsht team who got lucky and I'll having nothing to show for this season.

I do still have Brian Westbrook who can save my season tonight, but I need 27 points from him and I'm not counting on it.

:lol:

ONE SOLUTION,

Next year, recite how this was BS, and tell the league to split the pot, 1/2 to the Suprbowl race, 1/2 to Total Points race.

We have BOTH, and we all love it.

Some owners are in other leagues, but one thing they know, our league rewards those who perform, period.

We don't have all our money tied up in the LUCK that comes with HTH.....I think I'd look for a window to jump out of if I were in your shoes. :lol:

If you played this game for any length of time, you probably won a game or two that you probably had no right winning. It happens.

For every guy who loses because of some fluke-guy like Choice, there are ten who won because of studs like Andre Johnson, Michael Turner, or Steve Smith.

Hang in there, maybe Westbrook explodes tonight, or maybe you win it all next year because some fish like Cedrick Benson gets two one-yard plunges.

I'd like to say that I know how you feel, but I've never lost any league I've ever been in. I guess I'm just a winner.

The leagues that I enjoy the most involve HTH but also have pots that award dominance.

:overhead:

Superbowl Champion = 3 weeks of dominance

Total Points Champion = 16 weeks of dominance

We did implement a weekly high score bonus this year where the highest scoring team each week gets $20.

I won it 5 times this year. But that $100 is nothing compared to the $800 for winning the league.

I'd like to say that I know how you feel, but I've never lost any league I've ever been in. I guess I'm just a winner.

First year in a one team league = winner

More proof that fantasy football is 100% luck...

100% may be overstating it somewhat. That's like saying you could take a three year-old and let him pick a team and choose a lineup each week.

Even the most get-a-life fantasy footballer (you know the type--goes to Vegas every year for the convention, wears fantasy championship shirts {and rings} admits that there is luck involved, but it sure as hell isn't 100%.

First year in a one team league = winner

Wrong. I average 5 leagues a year, for about 20 years now. I've won 11,815 championships. Hell, just last year I won my big money league 14 times.

Do the math, mister. :unsure: :mad:

Pretty much the exact same scenario here. I have scored more than 200pts than any other team, bye last week, lost this week with Cutler and Marshall.

We have a small payout for reg. season, so I am at least in the black, and can still grab a little more next week if I get 3rd.

It sucks, but oh well. In the super bowl in one league, and still have a chance for 1st in another. Still a pretty good year.

It happens. I had the most points last year and the number one seed. I played the last seed to make the playoffs and he beat me in the first round. If I would have won that game, I would have won it all. Of course I am too nice so when this guy lost Davenport in the regular season to injury I felt bad for him. Instead of picking Ryan Grant up myself, I convinced him to pull the trigger. I guess I was feeling a little cocky about my team and assumed I didn't need insurance so it cost me. Don't give up on Westy tonight though. This year I was behind in the first round 120 to his 150 with Deangelo Williams going Monday night. He got me 34 points and Bingo round two.

Been there. Dominated the 90's with Favre, Rice, Tim Brown, Shannon Sharpe and only won 3 titles. My best year (1995) when Favre and Rice went nuts, I did exactly what you did.

Happens in the NFL too. That's the way it goes. I have just put together the greatest LOD team in the history of it's glorious franchise and went HUGE this week. I need a repeat on Sunday or it's all for not.

They should take away the Super Bowl trophy from the Giants... everyone knows the Pats dominated the regular season last year.
You're comparing real footbal to fantasy football. :overhead:

The difference is, the real football game actually play against each other on a field, and the Giants beat the Patriots.

"Your Mother's a Pig" didn't beat "Short Bus Window Lickers" in a game on a field, they just accumulated more FF points that week.

I actually like how fantasy football mirrors the pros. Look at the Pats of last year. First team to go 16-0, and in the end I guess you could make an argument that their season was a failure. The eventual SB champion goes to the team that gets hot at the end... just like FF.

Been there. Dominated the 90's with Favre, Rice, Tim Brown, Shannon Sharpe and only won 3 titles. My best year (1995) when Favre and Rice went nuts, I did exactly what you did.

Happens in the NFL too. That's the way it goes. I have just put together the greatest LOD team in the history of it's glorious franchise and went HUGE this week. I need a repeat on Sunday or it's all for not.

:overhead: What does it happening in the NFL have to do with FANTASY football? I get so tired of reading/hearing this BS statement. Fantasy football is not anything like real football. We aren't really coaches or GMs. On gameday, I cannot bench Reggie Bush because he is dancing in the backfield and ride the hot hand in Pierre Thomas. I can't call a play for my defense based on what I've seen my opponents offense do thus far in a game. In no way can I influence my guys once their games start...in the NFL, they can!!! So, please...STOP IT PEOPLE...just stop it. Fantasy football is a stats game that uses NFL players stats for fun/competition in which we make up our own rules! That's it. In no way, shape or form should it ever be compared to what they do on real NFL football fields.

You're comparing real footbal to fantasy football. :overhead:

The difference is, the real football game actually play against each other on a field, and the Giants beat the Patriots.

"Your Mother's a Pig" didn't beat "Short Bus Window Lickers" in a game on a field, they just accumulated more FF points that week.

:wub:

My team was DOMINANT all season long. I finished the regular season with the #1 seed at 10-2-1 and also led the league in points scored.

I had a bye for the 1st round of the playoffs last week and of course my team WENT OFF.

This week I had my first playoff game against the #6 seed (last team that barely made it in the playoffs).

So of course my team lays an egg led by Jay Cutler & Brandon Marshall (F U BOTH).

I was still holding a glimmer of hope until last night when Tashard Choice runs in long TD in garbage time of the Sunday Night game. Yes this guy actually played a 3rd string RB against one of the toughest run defense of in the NFL and of course he goes off for 22 points. Go FOCKING figure...

So now an entire season of dominance is going down the drain to complete dogsht team who got lucky and I'll having nothing to show for this season.

I do still have Brian Westbrook who can save my season tonight, but I need 27 points from him and I'm not counting on it.

:overhead:

You are a sh!tty team manager.

HTH

ONE SOLUTION,

Next year, recite how this was BS, and tell the league to split the pot, 1/2 to the Suprbowl race, 1/2 to Total Points race.

We have BOTH, and we all love it.

Some owners are in other leagues, but one thing they know, our league rewards those who perform, period.

We don't have all our money tied up in the LUCK that comes with HTH.....I think I'd look for a window to jump out of if I were in your shoes. :thumbsup:

when you say "total points", is that just active players or bench players also?

:thumbsup:

You are a Texans fan. You should be used to misery. ;)

when you say "total points", is that just active players or bench players also?

Active only.

Sportsline has "Points For" in the standings, and another column showing "Points Back". That gets as much attention as the records....and I can tell you it gets more RESPECT. This year I've been loving 0.0 for me as Points back.

Most of our owners know the best teams are the one with the higher points, not higher record. :thumbsup:

Hence the problem with "ONE game" playoff and Championship outcomes that you get with the NFL. Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball have MUCH less of this kind of thing due to the 7 game series where its unlikely that a lesser team can beat a better team 4 out of 7 games or whatever. In football, one bad call, one bad bounce, one bad day and your season is over. In the other sports, you can lose a game or two but still easily bounce back. Thats why in those sports it is MUCH less common for some crappy .500 team to run the table so to speak. I personally ALWAYS want the best teams to be in the Super Bowl. I cant stand cinderella stories. Its usually just ruins the Super Bowl. :thumbsdown:

I dunno how to fix it, but it would be nice to have less of a luck-based playoff system in both real football and fantasy football.

They should take away the Super Bowl trophy from the Giants... everyone knows the Pats dominated the regular season last year.

My feeling exactly. Some owners set there teams up specifically for the playoff weeks. Some owners have slow periods during the season because of injury/bye combinations, but have dominant teams come playoff time.

I like giving prizes for high scoring, but the main pot has to be about HTH or I can't be interested.

BTW, starting Choice against NYG wasn't a luck move. Choice showed against Pitt that he could put up numbers on a good defense and Barber obviously wasn't 100%.

Hence the problem with "ONE game" playoff and Championship outcomes that you get with the NFL. Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball have MUCH less of this kind of thing due to the 7 game series where its unlikely that a lesser team can beat a better team 4 out of 7 games or whatever. In football, one bad call, one bad bounce, one bad day and your season is over. In the other sports, you can lose a game or two but still easily bounce back. Thats why in those sports it is MUCH less common for some crappy .500 team to run the table so to speak. I personally ALWAYS want the best teams to be in the Super Bowl. I cant stand cinderella stories. Its usually just ruins the Super Bowl. :thumbsdown:

I dunno how to fix it, but it would be nice to have less of a luck-based playoff system in both real football and fantasy football.

Single elimination is exactly why the NFL is far superior to the other major sports. It's about rising to the occasion when it counts the most with no margin for error.

Series championships suck. There is nothing exciting unless it gets to a game 7. How is it luck based in real football? A team has to win more than once to win the SB. The Giants went on the road 3 straight times and won, how is that luck?

I suppose you were the kid in 1st grade that was so conservative, you would get mad if another kid put the "brick red" crayon next to the "burnt orange" rather than the "pink-red".

You play to win the game, if you can't deal with win or go home, go watch your soap operas.

:lol:

If you're in a PPR league, I'd say you stand a pretty decent chance of winning. Good luck. :thumbsdown:

This is the first year our league did a semi split pot with about 30% going to the #1 regular season seed and then 60% going to the league champion and 10% going to 2nd place and I'm glad we made the change. I've been on the receiving side of the lucky win and the giving side of it. This year, I missed the #1 seed yet was points leader by a pretty good margin. It's me and the #1 seed going to the championship.

:pointstosky:

:pointstosky: :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

What I hate about fantasy football is when people talk about MATCH-UPS... oh you're going to kill that team you have great match-ups.... oh you can't win he has great match-ups....

Match-Ups usually don't mean JACK SHIIT.... way too much overanalyzing in this hobby of ours....

Oh what I also hate is the focking weather in playoff time.... I'm in the bowl next week and the first thing I read today when i get home from work.... "a driving freezing rain in New England for this weeks game".... yeah great half my team will be in freezing rain including Warner, Moss, Gostkowski....

Blah...

:pointstosky:

What I hate about fantasy football is that those getting knocked out of the playoffs start posting what they hate about fantasy football. Grow a couple.

What I hate about fantasy football is that those getting knocked out of the playoffs start posting what they hate about fantasy football. Grow a couple.

The post of the day.

:thumbsup: :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

I know I am in the complete minority, but I am a big fan of the total points leagues...Ive been in a friendly but very competitive high $$ league for 5 years now, and no1 can ever complain about things like this...

I understand it takes away the "upset alert" for # 6 seeds to make a run, and well....I don't know of an actual professional sports league that is simply total points for the year (aka, the NFL is a head-to-head league)...HOWEVERRRRR, because we aren't the ones actually playing the game, it is beyond our control on a week to week basis...Like the OP said, your team can be completely dominant for 15 weeks, and lose because of a fluke play...Now i know people say its the same in the NFL, aka the Pats losing last year's SB, but they were the ones missing plays, giving up TDs, losing the game...In regards to the original post, it is beyond either of your control that Choice ran that last TD...Certainly your opponent didn't start Choice thinking he would rack up 15 points running out the clock in the 4th quarter, etc...

I know head-to-head leagues can be more exciting, but in terms of FAIR, or the BEST TEAM WINNING, I'll take points leagues any day :thumbsup:

You're comparing real footbal to fantasy football. :thumbsup:

Nice argument, except it completely invalidates the concept of every single game, regular season or playoff, in head to head leagues.

Play in a total points league, or split your pot as people here have suggested. And don't be a baby

I don't see how total point takes away the luck factor. When you could have played a player like CJ the past few years (not this one) who ended the year with great fantasy point total but only played well 6 out of 16 games. IMO you should reward the owners that put together constistant competative teams every week.

What I hate about fantasy football is when people talk about MATCH-UPS... oh you're going to kill that team you have great match-ups.... oh you can't win he has great match-ups....

Match-Ups usually don't mean JACK SHIIT.... way too much overanalyzing in this hobby of ours....

Good post, I'm guilty of this a million times over.

I don't see how total point takes away the luck factor. When you could have played a player like CJ the past few years (not this one) who ended the year with great fantasy point total but only played well 6 out of 16 games. IMO you should reward the owners that put together constistant competative teams every week.

Exactly, I think a lot goes into drafting if you're in a HTH league to put together a very consistent team as opposed to one that can blow up several times a year. The format of your league should influence your drafting choices...if your in HTH league then suck it up and accept the randomness of the sport. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: What does it happening in the NFL have to do with FANTASY football? I get so tired of reading/hearing this BS statement. Fantasy football is not anything like real football. We aren't really coaches or GMs. On gameday, I cannot bench Reggie Bush because he is dancing in the backfield and ride the hot hand in Pierre Thomas. I can't call a play for my defense based on what I've seen my opponents offense do thus far in a game. In no way can I influence my guys once their games start...in the NFL, they can!!! So, please...STOP IT PEOPLE...just stop it. Fantasy football is a stats game that uses NFL players stats for fun/competition in which we make up our own rules! That's it. In no way, shape or form should it ever be compared to what they do on real NFL football fields.

Ex"freaking"actly. Comparison of FF to real football belong in the garbage.

That said our league is going to add for the first time a HTH element. I completed dominated the total points format which caused a lack of activity by others since. We decided that to keep things active it would be important to also award a HTH winner. SO we are going to split the pot. As the trade deadline approaches in our league it would make for some interesting moves as some will be trading to make the playoffs, others will be trading to position themselves in during the playoffs while others will be protecting their total points lead.

Sure total points rewards high-risk high-reward players...but good management can find SOME of the weeks to bench great players...And on a different note, you cant tell me AP wasnt unbelievable last year, well he amassed something like 45%of his fantasy points in 4 weeks...

We can all agree that no system is flawless, but I'd rather eliminate complete luck (aka being the top scoreer in the league yet being .500...)

If you are going solely head-to-head, then the Eagles and Cowboys would be the #1 and 2 seeds in the NFC because they are playing the best the last few weeks, and the Colts would be the #1 seed in the AFC...But guess what, in the NFL, the early weeks actually matter...

A closer look: in the NFL only 12 out of 32 (37%) teams make the playoffs, making the regular season (a.k.a. consistency such as a points only league) very important...In your average FF league, 6 or 8 teams out of 12 make the playoffs (50 or 67%) ...meaning the regular season isnt that important....If you really want a more accurate league, do a head to head12-team league in which only 2-4 teams make the playoffs...

Sure total points rewards high-risk high-reward players...but good management can find SOME of the weeks to bench great players...And on a different note, you cant tell me AP wasnt unbelievable last year, well he amassed something like 45%of his fantasy points in 4 weeks...

We can all agree that no system is flawless, but I'd rather eliminate complete luck (aka being the top scoreer in the league yet being .500...)

If you are going solely head-to-head, then the Eagles and Cowboys would be the #1 and 2 seeds in the NFC because they are playing the best the last few weeks, and the Colts would be the #1 seed in the AFC...But guess what, in the NFL, the early weeks actually matter...

A closer look: in the NFL only 12 out of 32 (37%) teams make the playoffs, making the regular season (a.k.a. consistency such as a points only league) very important...In your average FF league, 6 or 8 teams out of 12 make the playoffs (50 or 67%) ...meaning the regular season isnt that important....If you really want a more accurate league, do a head to head12-team league in which only 2-4 teams make the playoffs...

Yeah I mainly do 12 team leagues and 4 teams make the playoffs. This means only the best teams make the playoffs. No crappy 7-8 seed with a .500 record or less is going to screw a legit team out of a title. The teams that make the playoffs are pretty much all 9-5 or better record wise. Whiners complain about H2h but that is what makes the game fun. If you are leading in points in a 12 team league the chances are small that you will miss the playoffs. For every whiner on here saying they had the most points and missed the playoffs there are at least 8-10 teams who had the most points and played in or won their superbowl. The entitlement of some people here as if they should automatically be awarded the title due to scoring most points. SO the 98 vikings and the 2007 pats should be given the title automatically as well due to most points? They don't do that in real life and it is lame in fantasy football.

P.S. I never hear guys complaining when their wild card team upsets a #1 seed who scored the most points.