Sign in to follow this  
TidesofWar

I am here to Fix The Overtime

Much has been discussed about this, and I think the best answer is also one that is easy to arrive at.

The problem with the NFL is that much hinges on a coin toss, and sometimes, like Indy, a team might lose without seeing its best player take the field.

The problems with college are that teams with a good FG kicker already have a leg up, while teams with good punting and return games have no chance for those groupings to have an imact.

SO

Quite simply, you play one extra quarter, starting with a coin flip and kickoff. You have all aspects of the game in play, and if the 15 minutes end in a tie, so does the game.

It is not fair for the team with a good FG kicker to be rewarded, while a returner like Sproles or Hester are not even involved. You weigh field position, weather, special teams play, offensive and defensive play-calling, and everything else just like you did in the 4th quarter.

Easy, fair, and not even necessarily more time played than the current systems :dunno:

Couldn't you try and fix overtime on the three other threads about this?

I weighed the options, and decided not to.

Thanks for your concern, though :dunno:

Quite simply, you play one extra quarter, starting with a coin flip and kickoff. You have all aspects of the game in play, and if the 15 minutes end in a tie, so does the game.

How suspenseful. :dunno:

Don't mess with sudden death. Stop the other team with defense or shut up. "But our offense didn't get the ball!?!" That's too damn bad.

This is how overtime should be:

Each team gets 1 posession.

If team A gets the ball first and has to punt then team B can win with a FG or TD. If team A scores an FG then team B has to score an FG to keep the game going or score a TD for the win.

That way the team that gets the ball first won't always just go for the FG because the other team gets a turn with the ball and can beat them with a TD on their posession.

What about the playoffs?

Good question

You play the extra 15 minute period as proposed, then either...........

1) Revert back to first team to score, but change ends of the field and continue with the ball in play where it was when time ran out

2) Or play a "Sixth Quarter" if you will - though I think the time issue would make choice one or three the better ones

3) Or - stop play, have another coin flip, and play under the rules used today for the NFL

If team A gets the ball first and has to punt then team B can win with a FG or TD. If team A scores an FG then team B has to score an FG to keep the game going or score a TD for the win.

That way the team that gets the ball first won't always just go for the FG because the other team gets a turn with the ball and can beat them with a TD on their posession.

I think this is better, but still changes strategy from the format proposed above

I am here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...

...and I'm fresh out of bubblegum.

I'm here to tell you that you're thief.

I already posted this idea on the other overtime thread.

So why not just have another 15 minute quarter? Then it still keeps all aspects of the game in play. It doesn't matter who gets the ball first. It doesn't matter if you're better at defense or offense. It's simply one more quarter.

Your fraudulent behavior has been exposed.

Seems like just about anything would be better than what they do now. It is embarrassing the way OT is right now.

I didn't bother to read the other posts, so forgive me if somebody else has mentioned this, but I like the sudden death format the NFL uses. However, for years I have been saying that you should have to get in the endzone to win in OT. No FG's allowed.

I heard Bob Ryan mention this today on Around the Horn, but I SWEAR this has been an idea of mine for a while now.

I'm here to tell you that you're thief.

I already posted this idea on the other overtime thread.

Your fraudulent behavior has been exposed.

Absurd - I have posted this every year since the College game went to that absurd OT system

If you want to call me a thief, at least be grammatically correct, even while you bask in your failure :pointstosky:

I didn't bother to read the other posts, so forgive me if somebody else has mentioned this, but I like the sudden death format the NFL uses. However, for years I have been saying that you should have to get in the endzone to win in OT. No FG's allowed.

I heard Bob Ryan mention this today on Around the Horn, but I SWEAR this has been an idea of mine for a while now.

I have always thought this would be a good idea too.

The problem with an extra full quarter is time. With 9,000,000 tv timeouts, regular timeouts, challenges etc. games would be too damn long.

Too long for what???? Fans???

Too long for what???? Fans???

Some fans. Also, if I'm really looking forward to an afternoon game, and I have to sit through an extra quarter of a morning game that I could give a rat's ass about I'll be pissed. People watching Monday Night games on the east coast could be losing sleep too, though baseball has the same problem and does ok. Those are just a couple scenerios off the top of my head.

I was going to say it would be too long for the networks, but then I remembered how much they make in advertising.

I don't know, maybe time isn't such a big factor, bud I still prefer the no FG, sudden death OT dammit!

Seems like just about anything would be better than what they do now. It is embarrassing the way OT is right now.

Defense wins championships. Strong special team play, a turnover, or a good defensive stop would have given Indy good field position. Instead they committed 3 penalties and let SD drive the length of the field. That, my friend, is embarrassing.

Defense wins championships. Strong special team play, a turnover, or a good defensive stop would have given Indy good field position. Instead they committed 3 penalties and let SD drive the length of the field. That, my friend, is embarrassing.

It's not really about this last game for me. I have not liked this for a long time. It seems silly and outdated.

Some fans. Also, if I'm really looking forward to an afternoon game, and I have to sit through an extra quarter of a morning game that I could give a rat's ass about I'll be pissed. People watching Monday Night games on the east coast could be losing sleep too, though baseball has the same problem and does ok. Those are just a couple scenerios off the top of my head.

I was going to say it would be too long for the networks, but then I remembered how much they make in advertising.

I don't know, maybe time isn't such a big factor, bud I still prefer the no FG, sudden death OT dammit!

I'm guessing you haven't watched much in the way of NHL playoffs. I remember watching a Stars/Ducks game a few years ago that went into 5th OT, they played the equivalent of over 2.5 games before it ended... was like the 3rd longest game in history.

Personally I agree with the extra OT quarter, and I say just keep going until they finish it (in playoffs, regular season ties are fine by me). Or at least do a kickoff/subsequent drive for each team(not the college 25 yd stuff), sudden death just doesn't make sense for football IMO.

It's not really about this last game for me. I have not liked this for a long time. It seems silly and outdated.

Maybe someone has the stats but I don't recall the numbers being too skewed for the team to initially receive the ball.

With good kickoff coverage, say the 20-25 yard line, a team has to drive about 45 yards for a FG attempt. From the 25, plus 45 yards gained, would give you a 47 yard attempt. That is not a gimme and many teams might not even attempt that distance for fear of yielding good field position.

ETA: It appears the numbers (including regular season Donovan) are about 52% (team wins toss and game), 44% (team loses toss but wins game) and 4% tie. I think that's reasonable but obviously subject to opinion.

Also, in the college format, I would move them back to the 50 or even their own 40 so a FG was less of an certainty.

ETA: It appears the numbers (including regular season Donovan) are about 52% (team wins toss and game), 44% (team loses toss but wins game) and 4% tie. I think that's reasonable but obviously subject to opinion.

This is an unfortunate misconception that people are buying into. The 52% number includes all overtime games dating back to 1974. The results changed drastically through in 1994 when the kickoff was moved back 5 yards.

Maybe someone has the stats but I don't recall the numbers being too skewed for the team to initially receive the ball.

Coin toss winner wins 60% of the time dating back to 2001. Coin toss loser wins 39% of the time, with 1% ties. IMO that clearly falls under the "too skewed" category rather than the "reasonable" category.

Coin toss winner wins 60% of the time dating back to 2001. Coin toss loser wins 39% of the time, with 1% ties. IMO that clearly falls under the "too skewed" category rather than the "reasonable" category.

Ya know, if 85% or some ridiculous percentage like that was winning overtime games, I'd agree the overtime rules need to change. At that point most games are basically being deciding by a coin flip.

But according to you it's just 60% !?! Hell that's close enough. Certainly not skewed enough to change to core rules and eliminate the suspense of sudden death overtime.

I like it the way it is, and so does Tony Dungy. If you know you get a full shot in OT then you are gonna play to tie. I want teams trying to win in regulation, not trying to set up the tie to get it to OT.

How about a revised sudden death. Keep the coin flip and play an extra quarter, but first team to score a TD (offense, defense or ST) wins the game. Field goals cannot determine the outcome, unless the 15 mins. are up. If the 15 mins. are up and both teams just manage FG, then the one that got the most FG wins, if it's a tie it's a tied game.

Playoffs are simple : winning your division, your reward is being in the playoffs, that it. All the playoffs teams are re-seeded according to final W-L totals. A 12-4 team can't go on the road to an 8-8 team. :music_guitarred:

How about a revised sudden death. Keep the coin flip and play an extra quarter, but first team to score a TD (offense, defense or ST) wins the game. Field goals cannot determine the outcome, unless the 15 mins. are up. If the 15 mins. are up and both teams just manage FG, then the one that got the most FG wins, if it's a tie it's a tied game.

Playoffs are simple : winning your division, your reward is being in the playoffs, that it. All the playoffs teams are re-seeded according to final W-L totals. A 12-4 team can't go on the road to an 8-8 team. :music_guitarred:

Again, my problem with this is that you are removing a critical element from determining the winner - in this case the PK.

In a real 4 quarter game, 3 FGs beat 1 TD all day long

Didn't know that it was broken...

its not....

and theres NO WAY the NFL agrees to play a full extra quarter for each OT game...

soon, the threads will pop up..how to cut down on injuries.... :unsure:

its fine the way it is.....

Ya know, if 85% or some ridiculous percentage like that was winning overtime games, I'd agree the overtime rules need to change. At that point most games are basically being deciding by a coin flip.

But according to you it's just 60% !?! Hell that's close enough. Certainly not skewed enough to change to core rules and eliminate the suspense of sudden death overtime.

Are you kidding me??!! 60% is a higher pecentage of games than were won by home teams in the NFL this season (57%). That means, statistically, you are better off playing on the road than losing the coin toss in overtime!!

The college stuff is dumb. It just is. I don't care if it is more "fair" or not.

Sudden Death is much better.

However they should just play another 10 minute quarter then if still tied it goes to sudden death.

Done and Done

The only rule the NFL should change is extra points. Talk about a ridiculous percentage... about 99% of extra points are made. It's become pointless in this day and age. The NFL should make rule where teams have to drop-kick all extra points.

If each team gets the same number of possessions, then the team who got the ball 2nd has the advantage.

I can see it now...

The NFL decides to change the rules to follow what college does...

Then someone loses a fantasy football game because one game went 4 overtimes and players on the other teams got 3 TDs and much bitching would ensue...

NFL does this regular season to keep the TV schedule on track. Especially the early games.

For those games. I can see each team getting a Free Kick opportunity to return.

Team that won that toss tries to score, doesn't Free Kick (meaning not from point of stoppage.

I would go as far as to allow them to kick a FG from where ever they are at this point.

Then the other team gets a chance to score.

If one scored more, game done and winner declared.

If no one scored/tied. Continue until 15 minutes depleted.

No 2 minute time outs.

Only both reviews.

PLAYOFFS, change the Free Kick provision to a kick off.

Otherwise stay the same rules.

The ending to the Indy/SD game was very anti climatic.

IF you don't want a coin flip.

Home kicks first.

Amazing that so many of you have become conditioned and commercialized by the wants of TV execs that you are willing to sacrifice integrity to maintain standard kickoff times :wave: :wub:

Absurd - I have posted this every year since the College game went to that absurd OT system

If you want to call me a thief, at least be grammatically correct, even while you bask in your failure :wave:

While I may fail the grammar test, I pass the "I'm not a thief contest", while you failed. I can provide a link to my comment....can you, for yours. Didn't think so.....to the dungeon!! Seriously, I was joking, bottom line is we agree.

In any event, I agree. Another fifteen would be the way to go.

On Mike and Mike in the morning a good point was brought up. What if in baseball the team that scored first won the game. They go into the extra inning and so and so hits a home run and it's over. The other team never even gets to bat.

Or basketball. Flip a coin. The team that wins the toss gets the ball, first team to score wins.

Those ideas are crazy, yet the NFL does the exact same thing and it's acceptable to them. Time to change the rule!

Ravens, Eagles, Vikings & Giants all vote to keep Sudden Death OT as is and volunteer to give the othet team the ball to start OT! :thumbsdown: