Sign in to follow this  
gocolts

Al Franken wins Minnesota Senate seat in recount

link

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - Democrat Al Franken beat Republican incumbent Norm Coleman to win the U.S. Senate seat from Minnesota, officials conducting a final recount said on Monday, though the loser promised to challenge the result.

:doh: :o

What the fock is wrong with Minnesota? I don't even feel motivated enough to pull out my Al Franken alias out. Because he sucks.

What the fock is wrong with Minnesota? I don't even feel motivated enough to pull out my Al Franken alias out. Because he sucks.

I guess these 20 below temps cause brain damage. :doh:

Al Franken wins Minnesota Senate seat in recount

link

:doublethumbsup:

Countdown to gocolts' head exploding: 3...2...1... *boom* *splat*

And I thought Cali was full of nut jobs.

Guess lutefisk really does cause brain damage Well, I suppose if one eats rotted fish, one should expect some repercussions.

Actually, I think he was elected because he's the skinniest person in the state by a [i][b]wide[/b][/i] margin.

WTF?

Those Demwits sure do know how to steal an election. You can bet your azz ACORN was involved in this.

I think it's time to move. The body, I could understand, we're sick of the ass/donkey. Franken though ... seriously. People voted for him?

This has seemed all along like a really fair, well performed recount overall, so Minnesota's canvassing board did things right. I posted a link to the "questionable" ballots that both Franken and Coleman were whining about and it was pretty outrageous that 95% of them were challenged. The Canvassing Board was fair/accurate in all 30 of the 30 ballots I looked at. So I beleive in what they looked at Franken is the winner.

Still, there may actually be real fire in the smoke Coleman and right wing talk radio blowing. Aparently there were a lot of disqualified ballots from Republican leaning areas. Since I don't know offhand of there were the same problems in Dem leaning areas, I don't know if Coleman's challenge has any merit. I certainly hope all the ballots that were in on time are counted.

It's seems to me that Coleman lost but it's in the GOP's interest to have Coleman to continue filing lawsuits to drag things out as long as possible to prevent Franken from getting seated, voting, and helping the Dems. It seems Coleman is ready/eager to perform that last service for them.

This has seemed all along like a really fair, well performed recount overall, so Minnesota's canvassing board did things right. I posted a link to the "questionable" ballots that both Franken and Coleman were whining about and it was pretty outrageous that 95% of them were challenged. The Canvassing Board was fair/accurate in all 30 of the 30 ballots I looked at. So I beleive in what they looked at Franken is the winner.

Still, there may actually be real fire in the smoke Coleman and right wing talk radio blowing. Aparently there were a lot of disqualified ballots from Republican leaning areas. Since I don't know offhand of there were the same problems in Dem leaning areas, I don't know if Coleman's challenge has any merit. I certainly hope all the ballots that were in on time are counted.

It's seems to me that Coleman lost but it's in the GOP's interest to have Coleman to continue filing lawsuits to drag things out as long as possible to prevent Franken from getting seated, voting, and helping the Dems. It seems Coleman is ready/eager to perform that last service for them.

I can understand no lost love for coleman, but you seem to be happy franken has been declared a winner. Are yooooou seriooous? Really?

Did Franken say something before he decided to run/was running that people would be idiots if they voted for him? Or something slightly along those lines. I think someone here posted that before.

Did Franken say something before he decided to run/was running that people would be idiots if they voted for him? Or something slightly along those lines. I think someone here posted that before.

"If I put myself on the ballot and even 50 people voted for me it'd be a travesty." - Al Franken

I can understand no lost love for coleman, but you seem to be happy franken has been declared a winner. Are yooooou seriooous? Really?

I don't know Coleman all that well. I love Franken as a comedian, but know his politics is far to the left of my own. Aparently, these guys both love playing in the mud.

if I were a Minnesota voter, I would have been familiar with and paid more attention to what Coleman has been doing in the Senate. But out of ignorance, since I have a blind seething hatred of the current state of the national Republican party, unless Coleman made a habit of breaking with his party early and often -which I don't think was the case- I would probably support Franken.

"If I put myself on the ballot and even 50 people voted for me it'd be a travesty." - Al Franken

Thanks. Just found it myself.

This was the context if anyone's wondering:

-So is this a stealth campaign? (asked in '99 regarding his satirical book about running for President)

"It looks like a stealth campaign. There are two ways to market. One is to do the Pat Paulsen thing and announce you're running. I didn't want to do that -- I don't have time. I'm doing "Lateline" editing -- I've got a real job. And I'm not consistent with the Al Franken in the book who's a depraved fool on the campaign trail. I take campaigns seriously, and I wouldn't want to inject myself into something I think is kinda sacred. If I put myself on the ballot and even 50 people voted for me it'd be a travesty"

eta:

Franken's not like that at all -- a point he made by phone last week before a visit to Portland for a book-signing Tuesday at Powell's and a debate Wednesday with right-wing lightning rod Arianna Huffington. Why shouldn't we elect you? We elect actors who can't remember lines, why not stand-up comics who can at least think on their feet? The book answers its own question.

After my book "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot" came out, people said: "Why not? You're fairly articulate, you know about politics, you're good-looking, only married once." I'd be terrible. I'm an indecisive person and I internalize a lot of stress. It's one thing to worry if a joke's funny and is this a good career move? But the idea of deciding which school gets funded and do you bomb Kosovo? . . . I'd be crushed.

Wasn't Coleman insisting that Franken drop out of the race immediatly after the election when he was ahead by 200 votes or so?

Why him, why not Gilbert Gottfried....?

Unfortunatly, Gilbert Gottfried has no aptitiude at kissing the public's ass and fooling people into liking him.

I'm not a fan of Franken, but I will be happy when that greasy slimeball Norm Coleman is out of the Senate. :thumbsup:

Means zippo to me. Who the fock cares.

We got through The Body as Gubbernor of that frozen state and are still happily surviving Ahnold as the gubbernor of the insane asylum known as California.

This is a non story.

I've always thought comedians were under-represented in WA. Granted they're a lot of clowns in congress but there is a difference.

Franken will fit right in with the Senate. He does not like to pay his taxes, has financial problems and is an asswhole. Nancy Pelosi move over, BIG AL!@#&* is coming to town.

I'm moving to North Dakota

:thumbsup: :banana: :banana:

Hey, an unfunny comedian got a position of power?????

I have hope!!!!

Redtodd in 2012. :doublethumbsup:

HEY!! :thumbsup:

He's good enough , smart enough , and doggone it people like him!!!

Least in Minny

:thumbsdown:

Hey, an unfunny comedian got a position of power?????

I have hope!!!!

Redtodd in 2012. :thumbsup:

You are far funnier than Franken.

:angry:

I can see your tombstone now.

"Here lies redtodd, he was funnier than al franken"

:D

:dunno:

:first:

I really think he is. Don't think I have ever seen or heard al franken being funny. :lol:

Unfortunatly, Gilbert Gottfried has no aptitiude at kissing the public's ass and fooling people into liking him.

yeah, but his press conferences would be great....

OY..IT'SFUCKING cold up here!!!! I haven't seen more SCANDINAVIANJEWS since I went to a bank in Oslo.

:dunno: OYYYYYYYYYYY!

Election Contest Falls in Franken's Favor

The three-judge state panel charged with ruling on an election contest brought by former Minnesota Republican Sen. Norm Coleman ruled unanimously in favor of Al Franken, delivering the Democrat an important victory but not (yet) signaling the end of the race.

"The overwhelming weight of the evidence indicates that the Nov. 4, 2008, election was conducted fairly, impartially and accurately," the panel said in a ruling issued this evening. Franken now enjoys a 312-vote margin over Coleman.

Franken held a press conference outside his home at 8 p.m. local time in which he said that it was "long past time we got to work," according to Aaron Landry, a Minnesota-based blogger.

National Democrats also immediately seized on the ruling to call for Coleman to concede the race. "Al Franken won the election, Al Franken won the recount, Al Franken won the contest, and now Al Franken should be allowed to get to work for nthe people of Minnesota," said Bob Menendez (N.J.), chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Coleman, however, seems to have no intention of stepping aside.

Ben Ginsberg, legal counsel for Coleman, released a statement moments after the ruling was issued insisting the former Senator would appeal the decision to the Minnesota Supreme Court. "The court's ruling tonight is consistent with how they've ruled throughout this case but inconsistent with the Minnesota tradition of enfranchising voters," said Ginsberg.

The next step in this (unending) process begins when Coleman formally files his appeal. (He has 10 days to do so.) Then the state Supreme Court takes over -- a process that could take a month or many months depending on the arguments made by the two sides.

By Chris Cillizza | April 13, 2009; 9:50 PM ET

:thumbsdown:

He really is.

Coleman hasn't got a shot in hell of winning anymore. The whole point of dragging the thing out is to keep Franken from getting seated... which is understandable why a Republican would want that.

Coleman hasn't got a shot in hell of winning anymore. The whole point of dragging the thing out is to keep Franken from getting seated... which is understandable why a Republican would want that.

I know, fock democracy and fock the people of Minnesota!

I know, fock democracy and fock the people of Minnesota!

Fock you. It was the citiots in Minneapolis/St Paul that voted for this dumbfock. :thumbsup:

On a positive note. Norm Coleman can move back to the sleaze coast where he belongs. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

fockin dumbazz norther folk.

fockin dumbazz norther folk.

Settle down skippy. You live in the same town as wiffleball. :thumbsup: