Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

OK, Obama just pissed me off

President-elect Barack Obama is urging Congress to postpone the Feb. 17 switch from analog to digital television broadcasting, arguing that too many Americans who rely on analog TV sets to pick up over-the-air channels won't be ready.

In a letter to key lawmakers Thursday, Obama transition team co-chair John Podesta noted that the Commerce Department has run out of money for coupons to subsidize digital TV converter boxes for consumers. People who don't have cable or satellite service or a new TV with a digital tuner will need the converter boxes to keep their older analog sets working.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090108/ap_...l_tv_transition

The focking commercials have been running for over a year now. If you haven't converted by now, you don't deserve to continue watching TV.

:dunno:

I was just told that he hasn't been sworn it yet so we can't ask questions about the economy, yet Obama is worried about television.

Interesting.

Well Snoopy?

I think one day after the switch, they should announce, over the analog airwaves, that everyone who comes to a certain location gets $1,000 from the government.

At the appointed time, mustard gas the place. It would lower the moron factor of this country significantly, not to mention lower Medicaid costs.

I think one day after the switch, they should announce, over the analog airwaves, that everyone who comes to a certain location gets $1,000 from the government.

At the appointed time, mustard gas the place. It would lower the moron factor of this country significantly, not to mention lower Medicaid costs.

Are you going to post on FFToday when you get there? :hyper:

This should have been done before the election...

I was just told that he hasn't been sworn it yet so we can't ask questions about the economy, yet Obama is worried about television.

Interesting.

Well Snoopy?

Of course he is concerned with TV. He has to keep his welfare base taken care of. :music_guitarred:

Of course he is concerned with TV. He has to keep his welfare base taken care of. :music_guitarred:

Nah, most of his "welfare base" have cable.

Its the trailer dwellers and the old people who this concerns, mostly republicans I imagine.

When you take a subway/elevated train to work every day, you notice things. Such as the most run down neighborhoods feature many, many, many direct TV dishes on roof and sides of homes to go along with fancy shmancy expensive cars. Don't worry about the welfare base. They are living a better life than me and you.

When you take a subway/elevated train to work every day, you notice things. Such as the most run down neighborhoods feature many, many, many direct TV dishes on roof and sides of homes to go along with fancy shmancy expensive cars. Don't worry about the welfare base. They are living a better life than me and you.

And they will get a "tax cut check" even when they don't pay taxes...

I was talking to someone about this a while back. He's a professional Washington lobbyist. He and I had an interesting conversation about this. Basically, this is one of the bigger scams perpetrated on the U.S. population. Maybe 'scam' isn't the right word, but in essence, did YOU vote for the switch over? No. It was just kind of thrust upon us. In his words, this represents basically a 'technology tax' for something most of us didn't even know existed, much less wanted when the legislation was passed.

Think about it - if Al Gore had said, "I want everyone to switch to Hybrids by 2004." Everyone would have freaked the holy fock out. "You can't do that - letlet the MARKET dictate that, not some random Government fiat. Now, I know you 9 year old dorks think HDTV is the greatest thing in the whole wide world :hyper: and it IS pretty cool for some things. But to force people onto it? Where are all the self-avowed libertarians on this one?

Down the road, he's sure there will be a book / expose on this that basically shows how a handful of electronics manufacturers & old school (over the air) broadcast corporations forced this legislation down a corrupt Al Gore's throat. Again, think about it - not today - back when it was mandated - did anyone even know WTF DTV WAS? Were there riots in the streets because "gee, I can't see the blades of grass on the green."

Virtually every other technological advancement has been market driven. This is one of few (certainly in the modern era) that is completely government mandated - without a popular mandate.

Last - To those of you opposed to 'free money' for the poor - did you vote FOR the Billions the government is giving to people for - really good TV?

Again, all I'm going to ask the participants in this thread to do is:

1) Remember when this all went down - ten years ago is when Gore/Clinton started this.

2) Leave out the part that you think HDTV is the super coolest thing you've ever ever ever had.

:banana: :doublethumbsup:

I was talking to someone about this a while back. He's a professional Washington lobbyist. He and I had an interesting conversation about this. Basically, this is one of the bigger scams perpetrated on the U.S. population. Maybe 'scam' isn't the right word, but in essence, did YOU vote for the switch over? No. It was just kind of thrust upon us. In his words, this represents basically a 'technology tax' for something most of us didn't even know existed, much less wanted when the legislation was passed.

Think about it - if Al Gore had said, "I want everyone to switch to Hybrids by 2004." Everyone would have freaked the holy fock out. "You can't do that - letlet the MARKET dictate that, not some random Government fiat. Now, I know you 9 year old dorks think HDTV is the greatest thing in the whole wide world :hyper: and it IS pretty cool for some things. But to force people onto it? Where are all the self-avowed libertarians on this one?

Down the road, he's sure there will be a book / expose on this that basically shows how a handful of electronics manufacturers & old school (over the air) broadcast corporations forced this legislation down a corrupt Al Gore's throat. Again, think about it - not today - back when it was mandated - did anyone even know WTF HDTV WAS? Were there riots in the streets because "gee, I can't see the blades of grass on the green."

Virtually every other technological advancement has been market driven. This is one of few (certainly in the modern era) that is completely government mandated - without a popular mandate.

Last - To those of you opposed to 'free money' for the poor - did you vote FOR the Billions the government is giving to people for - really good TV?

Again, all I'm going to ask the participants in this thread to do is:

1) Remember when this all went down - ten years ago is when Gore/Clinton started this.

2) Leave out the part that you think HDTV is the super coolest thing you've ever ever ever had.

Digital and HDTV are 2 different things.

But, it is all about money. Digital transmissions are much more efficient that analog, taking up less of the wireless spectrum. With digital TV coming into effect, those old frequencies can now be leased to other commercial entities (ie cell phone companies).

Yea i think wiff is misinformed. Not everyone will have HDTV. You can still use those old projection tv's just fine. Cable companies aren't going to change their rates. I think its a good thing for just about everyone. I think verizon won the main channel or radiowave thats going to be free'd up by the switch. Using the old tv channels will provide for better service since pretty much everyone can get tv reception.

Let's delay the conversion so we can waste more money for the stupid. TV and the gov. have been spending money for years on these commercials. Then they set up a program for these boxes that are paid for by them. And now they want to delay it more so they can waste the money. If this so important for the people to watch TV, how come they couldn't just buy one themselves. No one died because they couldn't watch tv. Well except for that time when the tornado came by.

He only just now pissed you off? :unsure:

I'd say the major reason he wants to delay it is because the gov't subsidies are out of money. If you're gonna force something on the public, i think its reasonable for the government to help pay for the change. With the program out of money, maybe it is good idea to delay it for a bit.

hes worried about his voters.....a very lazy crowd.....what % of the folks at grant park that night are ambitious, do things type people? 20%..most of them were there thinking..yay..a minority...yay..handouts...yay..im going home to sleep until the 1st of the month...