Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

What do you think of these post-season paychecks?

Wild-card games (division winners): $20,000.

Wild-card games (fifth- and sixth-seeded teams): $18,000.

Divisional games: $20,000.

Conference championship games: $37,500.

Super Bowl winners: $78,000.

Super Bowl losers: $40,000

Those numbers for the 2009 and 2010 seasons increase to $21,000, $19,000, $21,000, $38,000, $83,000 and $42,000.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...mail/index.html

I mean, say a guy doesn't make the playoffs and he makes $4M a year. That's $250K a game. Now, he's up against much better competition and he's paid a mere fraction of that?

Yes, yes, I know "Glory, fame, pride, blah blah", but does this pricing system seem right? Especially given the television revenues from post-season games?

Seems pretty damn low given league minimums on salary. "Uh, I get $250K for playing DET in a dome during the regular seasons, but then when I March into the Meadowlands hurt on my 18th game of the year, sure, $20 grand sounds great! - Seems like that should be loooked at unless I'm missing something. For fock's sake, we've got kickers making more per meaningless game than Super Bowl Winners??

Dunno. Thoughts? Comments?

It says that the league pays this amount to each player. I wonder if each player has a clause in their contract stipulating payment more according to the regular season. I'm thinking the league payouts are more like a bonus than an actual gamecheck, but I could be wrong.

I think its a nice vacation package to Jamaica for Ricky Williams :rolleyes:

does Pennington deserve more?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...mail/index.html

I mean, say a guy doesn't make the playoffs and he makes $4M a year. That's $250K a game. Now, he's up against much better competition and he's paid a mere fraction of that?

Yes, yes, I know "Glory, fame, pride, blah blah", but does this pricing system seem right? Especially given the television revenues from post-season games?

Seems pretty damn low given league minimums on salary. "Uh, I get $250K for playing DET in a dome during the regular seasons, but then when I March into the Meadowlands hurt on my 18th game of the year, sure, $20 grand sounds great! - Seems like that should be loooked at unless I'm missing something. For fock's sake, we've got kickers making more per meaningless game than Super Bowl Winners??

Dunno. Thoughts? Comments?

say a guy makes the league minimum, those don't look to bad then. I would consider it a bonus if you already make the really good coin, its part of the job.

Who pays this... the teams or the NFL? I would think that it's the NFL, and that in addition teams and individual players also have incentive laden contracts.

And is that cumulative (meaning that Super Bowl Winners get 20K + 20K + 37.5K + 70k... for a maximum total of 147.5K)?

edited for bad math skills:

Regardless, it's quite enough. You used a 4mil a year guy as an example. What about the guy who makes $250K? He gets over a 50% pay raise (if it's cumulative) if he wins the Super Bowl. Let's say for the sake of argument that it is cumulative $147.5K. When you multiply that towards a 53 man roster... that works out to a total of $7.8 million paid out.

The entire premise of this question fails because the average salary for an NFL player isn't anywhere near 4 million a year.

How about Kurt Warner; his contract was filled with seemingly unattainable goals: playoffs, championships, etc......he almost maxed his out AND someone's got to PAY DA MAN next season. :bandana:

Actually, like others stated, it's more of a "bonus".

Last I checked, the teams/players "season" doesn't end until they run out of games to play. Whether that's 16 games or 19 games.

A player gets X amount for the "season"... anything extra is a bonus.

I like that they all get the same; it emphasizes the team aspect of post-season success. The undrafted special teams guy making the minimum gets the same as Fitz. Sends a good message. :o

Actually, like others stated, it's more of a "bonus".

Last I checked, the teams/players "season" doesn't end until they run out of games to play. Whether that's 16 games or 19 games.

A player gets X amount for the "season"... anything extra is a bonus.

Actually I thought they got 1/16th of their pay every week during the regular season. Maybe 1/17th with the bye, I'm not sure. Nevertheless, they don't get "salaries" during the playoffs.