Sign in to follow this  
GhostofMeanMachine99

Eagles off-season discussion

I need to preface the following by saying that philosophically, Andy Reid needs to re-adjust the gameplan more around the run and the use of multiple backs.

Needs:

1. Address the offensive tackle situation. Runyan and Thomas are UFA's.

2. Upgrade at center position. Jamaal Jackson is adequate, however he tends to make the wrong line calls.

3. Tight end. Good riddance to LJ Smith. How do they fill the position.

4. Fullback. Do they finally get a legitimate fullback (once a vital element in the WCO).

5. RB insurance. Do they bring back Buckhalter, and what kind of insurance policy do they have for Westbrook?

6. Baskett is a RFA, and all signs point to Reggie Brown being cut. Need to fill a WR slot.

Solutions:

1. I feel that both guys will not be coming back (Thomas is welcome but I feel he'll want too much money). As much as I like Jordan Gross, I believe he'll be too expensive to sign. With that said, I would love to see them sign Stacy Andrews at OT. He can play either position. Depending on the market interest in Thomas or Runyan, maybe you bring one of them back (maybe Runyan) and let him fight it out with Justice for RT? The interesting aspect of signing Stacy Andrews is putting him with his brother Shawn, who needs all the help he can get.

2. I want to see them use a pick in the first two rounds and get a stud. There are a few guys coming out (Alex Max and Max Unger) who would be the fit at center for the next ten years or so. I want Alex Mack from Cal.

3. I think Winslow would be real nice here, however they wouldn't need him if they're able to get Hoosh. If they get Hoosh, I think they can sign a mid level FA (a Tony Curtis from Dallas or Dan Wilcox from Baltimore).

4. Leonard Weaver from Seattle. He's 26 years old, disciple of the Holmgren WCO, and a guy who can catch the ball. Since Seattle used a pick last year on a FB (Owen Schmitt), perhaps Weaver is not in their plans this year? Whatever, they need a legitimate fullback.

5. Cut Lorenzo Booker (what a mistake), resign Buckhalter and use a pick in the first two rounds on an heir apparent to Westbrook. I'd like to see them use their first first round pick on Moreno or Wells.

6. Bring back Baskett, so long Reggie. Another blown 2nd round pick under Reid.

The elephant in the room is Hoosh/Boldin. IMO, they have no shot at Boldin. They'll have to get him via trade (why would the Cards wanna make the Eagles better?) not to mention sign him to a lucrative new deal. So the more I think about it, the more I like them bringing in Hoosh.

On defense, I think it's imperative to bring back Dawk. They have alot of young guys on defense, so the needs aren't real immediate or apparent. However, if they address their needs on offense and have a chance to draft an athlete on defense, you take it.

We're about three weeks from the opening of FA season. Let's open it up for discussion.

I'd say finding O-line help and a quality backup to Westy is a must.

Westy will be 30 at the beginning of the season, he has touched the ball almost 1650 times and is always the focal point of the opposing D. Sooner than latter he will be done. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his and wish him no ill, but it is what it is.

Now on to what the Eagles will do. Spend unwisely on D and ignore the O, unless they way over pay for Housh and sacrifice the rest of the teams needs.

They need to wish they were a better team in a better city and probably practice handling their gag reflexes

because you know and I know and they know another chokejob is coming.

hth

1. Both tackles do not practice during the week that much due to injuries. This can not help the run game from week to week.

Might be time to go in a new direction at this position. I think your center is a beast and would hold on to him for another year though.

3. Celeck(spell) was a stud vs. Arizona and will be everyones fantasy sleeper next year. How is he as a blocker?

4.Fb's are a dead position,let Buckhalter handle the position for the 7 times a game they use one.Save cash that can be used elsewhere.

5.Rb, as a westy keeper owner this worries me because I think they are taking Pitts Shady Mccoy in the 1st round. He is talented but a Westy clone and not a pile mover. Go get a T.J. Duckett type for 3rd and 4th and ones. Heck, we have Garry Russell in Pittsburgh and hes as cheap as they come and vey capable.

6.wr----has been the #1 issue for a decade. A very deep draft class but can a rookie help duing the rest of the Mcnabb era? Go get a proven player and get over the hump. If the Giants cut Plex and the Eagles sign him,the Eagles could win it all.

I need to preface the following by saying that philosophically, Andy Reid needs to re-adjust the gameplan more around the run and the use of multiple backs.

Needs:

1. Address the offensive tackle situation. Runyan and Thomas are UFA's.

2. Upgrade at center position. Jamaal Jackson is adequate, however he tends to make the wrong line calls.

3. Tight end. Good riddance to LJ Smith. How do they fill the position.

4. Fullback. Do they finally get a legitimate fullback (once a vital element in the WCO).

5. RB insurance. Do they bring back Buckhalter, and what kind of insurance policy do they have for Westbrook?

6. Baskett is a RFA, and all signs point to Reggie Brown being cut. Need to fill a WR slot.

Solutions:

1. I feel that both guys will not be coming back (Thomas is welcome but I feel he'll want too much money). As much as I like Jordan Gross, I believe he'll be too expensive to sign. With that said, I would love to see them sign Stacy Andrews at OT. He can play either position. Depending on the market interest in Thomas or Runyan, maybe you bring one of them back (maybe Runyan) and let him fight it out with Justice for RT? The interesting aspect of signing Stacy Andrews is putting him with his brother Shawn, who needs all the help he can get.

2. I want to see them use a pick in the first two rounds and get a stud. There are a few guys coming out (Alex Max and Max Unger) who would be the fit at center for the next ten years or so. I want Alex Mack from Cal.

3. I think Winslow would be real nice here, however they wouldn't need him if they're able to get Hoosh. If they get Hoosh, I think they can sign a mid level FA (a Tony Curtis from Dallas or Dan Wilcox from Baltimore).

4. Leonard Weaver from Seattle. He's 26 years old, disciple of the Holmgren WCO, and a guy who can catch the ball. Since Seattle used a pick last year on a FB (Owen Schmitt), perhaps Weaver is not in their plans this year? Whatever, they need a legitimate fullback.

5. Cut Lorenzo Booker (what a mistake), resign Buckhalter and use a pick in the first two rounds on an heir apparent to Westbrook. I'd like to see them use their first first round pick on Moreno or Wells.

6. Bring back Baskett, so long Reggie. Another blown 2nd round pick under Reid.

The elephant in the room is Hoosh/Boldin. IMO, they have no shot at Boldin. They'll have to get him via trade (why would the Cards wanna make the Eagles better?) not to mention sign him to a lucrative new deal. So the more I think about it, the more I like them bringing in Hoosh.

On defense, I think it's imperative to bring back Dawk. They have alot of young guys on defense, so the needs aren't real immediate or apparent. However, if they address their needs on offense and have a chance to draft an athlete on defense, you take it.

We're about three weeks from the opening of FA season. Let's open it up for discussion.

The O-line concerns me. It's been a strength for a long time but, as you talk about, 3 of the 5 spots are up in the air. I'd be more inclined to spend on Gross than Hoosh. Maybe I've been drinking the Reid kool aid for too long, but I think Jackson is your #1 WR for the future, and a healthy Curtis a fine #2. Keep Baskett and there are mid-level guys you can get cheap. I don't think Hoosh, as much as I like him, solves a problem for years. I think Gross does.

The franchising of LJ Smith was, to me, the worst use of cap space under this regime...and that's saying something. What a nothing he's been. I don't see them even considering Winslow (and the same for Boldin) as they'll be spooked of both from the character standpoint, fair or not. Once bitten... What they do at TE, to add a threat besides Celek, I don't know.

I love Leonard Weaver, and think Seattle has missed the boat completely on him. They've never utilized him consistently, which is remarkable given how unsettled they've been at the RB position. He's a beast, and can fill the FB and short yardage roles.

I feel like they HAVE to draft a RB; a guy with a real, legitimate pedigree and potential to be your guy of the future. Sure, keep Buckhalter. When he's been healthy, he's been a more than adequate backup. But if you can get a WElls or Moreno where they're drafting, you have to do it.

The defensive side of the ball is solid; the best it's been in years as a well-rounded unit. Like you said, draft an athlete or two for depth.

Fly, Eagles, fly. E-A-G-L-E-S!

Hire a GM, let Reid concentrate on coaching

Fundamentally, that should be the very first thing they do. However, with free agency starting in three weeks, they missed the boat on that one.

Reid's problem all along has been his penchant for drafting guys to fit his system and not drafting the best available player and tweaking his system to maximize the talent on the roster.

At the end of the day, IMO that is the reason why they never win the big one. Big play talent. They simply need more guys making more plays. The system hasn't won them a SB and it never will. I don't understand why folks don't understand that fact.

If they continue to do things they way they've always done it, they'll never win.

The O-line concerns me. It's been a strength for a long time but, as you talk about, 3 of the 5 spots are up in the air. I'd be more inclined to spend on Gross than Hoosh. Maybe I've been drinking the Reid kool aid for too long, but I think Jackson is your #1 WR for the future, and a healthy Curtis a fine #2. Keep Baskett and there are mid-level guys you can get cheap. I don't think Hoosh, as much as I like him, solves a problem for years. I think Gross does.

The franchising of LJ Smith was, to me, the worst use of cap space under this regime...and that's saying something. What a nothing he's been. I don't see them even considering Winslow (and the same for Boldin) as they'll be spooked of both from the character standpoint, fair or not. Once bitten... What they do at TE, to add a threat besides Celek, I don't know.

I love Leonard Weaver, and think Seattle has missed the boat completely on him. They've never utilized him consistently, which is remarkable given how unsettled they've been at the RB position. He's a beast, and can fill the FB and short yardage roles.

I feel like they HAVE to draft a RB; a guy with a real, legitimate pedigree and potential to be your guy of the future. Sure, keep Buckhalter. When he's been healthy, he's been a more than adequate backup. But if you can get a WElls or Moreno where they're drafting, you have to do it.

The defensive side of the ball is solid; the best it's been in years as a well-rounded unit. Like you said, draft an athlete or two for depth.

Fly, Eagles, fly. E-A-G-L-E-S!

As much as I like Gross, I'd rather take the chance on Stacy Andrews for two reasons:

1. He can play either tackle position. He also fits their make-up as being a big dude (that line's always been massive).

2. His affect on older brother Shawn. The dude's got problems. Having little brother as a support system every single day has to be a positive for our best lineman.

Andrews is coming off of a knee injury to boot. IMO he's a more affordable than Gross.

I think Leonard Weaver is a perfect fit in this offense.

I think it's gonna boil down to business philosophy: do you acquire talent to fit the system or do you acquire talent and fit the system around it. IMO, it's been the balancing act they can't figure out.

They need to wish they were a better team in a better city and probably practice handling their gag reflexes

because you know and I know and they know another chokejob is coming.

hth

We're not talking about Dallas and Tony Romo. :thumbsdown:

Agree Ghost, to late now. Reid's had long enough at it.

A fresh GM would them a much needed different perspective.

I was hoping another failed run at a SB trophy would wake Lurie and Banner up. Joe Banner did come out publicly to state that things needed to change yet he's not doing anything to remedy the situation.

The dual coach/GM has never worked ever. I think it's great for organizations in a rebuilding mode, but it's never gotten anyone over the hump in this league.

Pretty apparent that Reid can't handle it. Right off the bat is shows b/c he can't keep himself healthy nor his kids out of trouble. There has to be a balance somewhere.

Ghost..ive been trying to convince some friends of Andrews as well for the same reason your trying to pitch. Gross is going to get franchised.

even if they get either one, I say go with whatever tackle is still on the board and another back as well...however I dont think the Eagles will spend a 1st to get a running back so give me Unger as our next center.

Ghost..ive been trying to convince some friends of Andrews as well for the same reason your trying to pitch. Gross is going to get franchised.

even if they get either one, I say go with whatever tackle is still on the board and another back as well...however I dont think the Eagles will spend a 1st to get a running back so give me Unger as our next center.

I could definitely see the Eagles take a chance on signing Andrews coming off the knee injury. He can play either tackle. With that said, it's been my contention that Shawn Andrews should move out to RT. Stacy at LT, Shawn at RT, you have plenty of talent to fill in at guard, and Jackson/Unger at center.

As crazy at is sounds, I'd have Justice in there to battle for the starting RT position. Andy Reid did him a disservice in that Giants game because he gave him no help in pass protection, not to mention put Justice at LT when he's a natural RT. LT is a specialty position, and not every tackle is made for pass protection. That is why I'm real interested to see the progression of King Dunlap. That dude is long and appears to have really good feet.

I definitely hear you regarding the RB with the first pick, but they need talent on offense, not system guys. That's what bugs me about Andy Reid.

ESPN's John Clayton calls the Eagles and the Giants the front-runners to acquire Anquan Boldin via offseason trade.

Philadelphia is reportedly the current favorite. Clayton believes Boldin's trade demand will be met, which would be big news for Steve Breaston dynasty owners. The compensation is expected to be a first- and third-round pick. Philly has two first-rounders (Nos. 21, 28). New York drafts 29th overall.

ESPN's John Clayton calls the Eagles and the Giants the front-runners to acquire Anquan Boldin via offseason trade.

Philadelphia is reportedly the current favorite. Clayton believes Boldin's trade demand will be met, which would be big news for Steve Breaston dynasty owners. The compensation is expected to be a first- and third-round pick. Philly has two first-rounders (Nos. 21, 28). New York drafts 29th overall.

I wonder how likely this scenario plays out. Granted, we're talking about the Eagles and Rosenhaus trying to work out a new deal for Boldin if he is traded.

I don't see why the Cardinals would trade him to a conference rival, especially one that will be challenging for a SB bid next season.

Right now, the Cards hold all the Cards, no pun intended. He's under contract, the team is fine at WR, etc etc. IMO, Boldin's in no position to be demanding anything.

Just another client Rosenhaus can't control. :wall:

I wonder how likely this scenario plays out. Granted, we're talking about the Eagles and Rosenhaus trying to work out a new deal for Boldin if he is traded.

I don't see why the Cardinals would trade him to a conference rival, especially one that will be challenging for a SB bid next season.

Right now, the Cards hold all the Cards, no pun intended. He's under contract, the team is fine at WR, etc etc. IMO, Boldin's in no position to be demanding anything.

Just another client Rosenhaus can't control. :thumbsup:

Agreed and as much as I'd like to have Boldin on the Eagles, I just don't see it playing-out that way. I also agree that the #1 priority is O-line.

I dont see how Philly cant immediately try to get themselves a legitimate WR? I mean..the last time they were unstoppable was when they had TO. I know, he didnt work out but noone can deny that that whole team is better with a monster WR. Actually, any team is better with a monster WR but Philly seems to have all the pieces. They just need a big WR to wreak havoc in the secondary like TO did.

Not an Eagles fan, just an observer....

I dont see how Philly cant immediately try to get themselves a legitimate WR? I mean..the last time they were unstoppable was when they had TO. I know, he didnt work out but noone can deny that that whole team is better with a monster WR. Actually, any team is better with a monster WR but Philly seems to have all the pieces. They just need a big WR to wreak havoc in the secondary like TO did.

I can't believe I am typing this, but I truly don't think WR is their weak spot.. They need help at O-line first anf foremost. If Runyan and Thomas go, they are desperate. Djax I love, the kid proved a lot of the doubters wrong IMHO. He is tough, fast, has good hands and fights for every play. I see a SSmith clone, even though most say he is not. I've never really been a fan of Curtis, but when hes healthy he stretches the field. What I really want to see is Baskett and Avant getting more involved. Baskett especially. It infuriated me all season; the guy would get limited looks, and do great with them, then next game he'd get LESS playing time. All season it seemed he was never a full time part of the plan. The fact is, he has great hands. Runs decent routes (especially across the middle) and is tall enough and atheletic enough to get it going with the oh-so-missing EZ fade route that hasn't been attempted in seemingly decades..

Also, I am not doing cartwheels with the stock of FA WRs out there. Housh is the biggest name, but (one mans opinion) he is mostly that, a big name. Put him on a team where he is lining up opposite Jackson or Curtis, and not CJohnson and watch his numbers go down faster than a boeing in the hudson. (sorry-poor taste.) The point is, I honestly don't think Housh would bring much to the table that we don't already have.(not saying that hes not better than what we have, just not MUCH better) Top that off with whatever ridiculous number he wants and he ain't worth it.

I don't see Boldin going anywhere, maybe Chad but I don't think they'll take another prima donna WR (though I'd love him in Eagles Green).

I heard Owens might be on the trade block....

They really need a good red zone receiver, or an elite TE. The red zone has been their issue for the past few seasons, and this offense hasn't had a go-to guy since 2004.

The current receiving corp are comprised of tweeners. Small guys who have trouble off the LOS, or tall guys (Baskett) who aren't exactly fleet afoot inside 10 yards.

Action Jackson is the only legitimate weapon they have in the passing game, but no way can they put the load on his shoulders.

I don't see them getting Boldin or Hoosh. However, I could see them make a big play for Winslow. After all, they tried to trade for him last year, and if you look at Reid the GM's history, anybody he targets at one point, he will get if he has the chance.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a slight change in philosophy. Not holding my breath, though. :mad:

I'm bored - might as well voice my thoughts on the Eagles. :music_guitarred:

The Offensive Line

For as good as Reid has managed the O-line over the years, one has to wonder what he'll do with that group this offseason. William Thomas and Jon Runyan have been the bookends here for nearly a decade together and now both their contracts are up. Their both pretty old too, which makes it doubtful both will return, let alone one of them.

Jon Runyan had knee surgery recently that will keep him sidelined for 4-6 months - meaning he won't be able to do much of anything until sometime between May-July. That being the case some teams may shy away from signing him as a free agent. I think it ultimately increases the chance he'll resign with the Eagles. The teams familiarity with him, the knee surgery, and the fact he likes the area could lead to them working something out.

As for Thomas, I have no idea what they're thinking there. I assume they'd prefer to replace him - but with whom? Jordan Gross is the hot name being thrown around among free agent O-lineman, but it reamins to be seen if he'll be franchised.

Most think he will be, but if the Panthers franchise him again (like they did for '08) they won't just owe him the average top five salary for his position. They would also have about 20% added to that amount due to the fact it would be the second straight year they franchised him. If the Panthers don't work out a long term deal, there's a chance he'll hit the market with no strings attached.

The other major concern about the O-line regards Shawn Andrews. At this point (and it is still very early in the offseason) I don't think you can count on him to contribute in 2009. His mental state alone was a pretty big issue to begin with. Now that he's coming off back surgery it only gives more cause for concern.

When all is said and done I think they'll add someone to the O-line via free agency, possibly keep Runyan or Thomas, and they'll definately add at least one or two lineman during the draft.

I'm sure they'll also put some thought into moving Herremans out to tackle. They may also look to improve the center position in some manner. Winston Justice still needs to prove he isn't a total bust before he can even be part of the conversation.

Here's a link to available FA O-lineman: 2009 OL Free Agents

Running Back

The concern here has to do with two things: Brian Westbrook's durability due to age and mileage, and the fact they currently have no one to back him up due to Correll Buckhalter being a free agent this offseason.

Glancing at the other available free agents (2009 RB Free Agents) I can't say anyone really excites me - maybe Darren Sproles as a 3rd down/change of pace type guy and insurance for Westbrook, but he's not really the protypical running back and is probably valued more as a return man by teams anyway.

I think they may look to sign a vet, but it seems almost certain they will be drafting a running back this year with an early pick regardless of who they might sign. I still need to look at the college prospects though before I could say who it is I think they will, or should target.

Wide Receiver

I'm not as concerned about this area as others still seem to be. I think both Curtis and Jackson are quality receivers. Avant isn't anything spectacular, but he seems to be a solid possesion recevier and as a third or fourth option I don't know that you'd expect much more than that.

Hank Baskett does what he does well, but I'm not so certain he'll develop any further then he currently has - not unless he's forced to become a starter due to injuries. Greg Lewis I assume will be gone every offseason and yet he somehow manages to stick around. Maybe this year they finally replace him with more promising talent.

Now with that said, I think the offense would benefit from having a true number one wideout, but I try to be realistic about who it is they could acquire and wether or not that person would really make sense as a number one. If they can get Boldin that'd be great. If they were to sign Houshmanzadeh I think it'd be helpful, but I don't know that he'd add that extra dimension to the passing game people would be hoping for.

I think they'll pursue Boldin, but if that doesn't lead to anything I think it's more likely they'll draft a wide receiver or two rather than sign a free agent - unless their sold on Houshmanzadeh.

Link: 2009 WR/TE Free Agents

Tight End

I like Brent Celek and think the Eagles feel comfortable going into 2009 with him as their starter. The guy has done nothing but deliver with the opportunities he's had since he's been drafted. That said, the Eagles could run two tight end sets if they wanted and add another viable option at TE as a result.

Owen Daniels is listed as an UFA, but I assume he'll be back with the Texans and I'm not so sure the Eagles would pursue him anyway. Kellen Winslow may become available, but I don't know that the Eagles would go after him either. During the season it was mentioned that the Eagles tried to acquire him before the trade deadline however.

In the end I think they'll go with Celek and draft a tight end. I'm not up on who's available in the draft yet, but everything I've heard about it says it's a deep draft for tight ends.

Quarterback

I'm under the assumption McNabb will be back for '09, but I think things could get interesting in the offseason if he is insistent upon receiving a new deal/extentsion. He's made it known more than a few times that he wants something done, but so far the Eagles haven't shown any interest in signing him to a new deal.

If they don't give him the deal he wants, I assume they roll with him in '09 and move on afterwards, or trade him this offseason if a good offer comes their way (I think the trade scenario is unlikely though). If for some reason McNabb is gone in '09 then they should sign Garcia via free agency.

Looking ahead to 2010 I will say that I believe the Eagles plan on going with Kolb. I think the signing of Doug Pederson to the coaching staff could be a telling sign in that regard. Reid brought him in once to tutor McNabb - this time he's there to tutor Kolb.

I may get to the defense a little later. :huh:

Eagle updates: according to Philly.com sources, Winston Justice is on the trading block (another busted pick in the 2nd round), while it's reported the Eagles are trying to discuss a new deal with Tra Thomas and his agent.

Do you think, if he is healed from injury, Deuce Macallister would be a good pick-up for the Birds?

I have always been impressed with his ability to get an extra yard or two, and think he would be a good complement

to Westbrook. He should come fairly inexpensive, coming off injury. I would only do it, though, if he was healthy.

I'd pass on McAllister. By most accounts he could barely run last year. He has no speed and I'd like to think the Eagles could draft someone better than what McAllister has left at this point.

If they were going to pursue one of these vets recently made available, Fred Taylor is the guy to go after. I doubt they go after any of them though.

I'd love to see them go after Albert Haynesworth now that I've been hearing he's available as a free agent.

I'd pass on McAllister. By most accounts he could barely run last year. He has no speed and I'd like to think the Eagles could draft someone better than what McAllister has left at this point.

If they were going to pursue one of these vets recently made available, Fred Taylor is the guy to go after. I doubt they go after any of them though.

I'd love to see them go after Albert Haynesworth now that I've been hearing he's available as a free agent.

If they could get AH via free agency and trade Patterson, I'd be ecstatic.

He would make Bradley that much better in the middle.

First and foremost, they need to shore up the OL. I'd still like them to draft an OT and get someone like Stacy Andrews via FA, then grab a RB in the second or third round to help out Westbrook.

Do you think, if he is healed from injury, Deuce Macallister would be a good pick-up for the Birds?

I have always been impressed with his ability to get an extra yard or two, and think he would be a good complement

to Westbrook. He should come fairly inexpensive, coming off injury. I would only do it, though, if he was healthy.

He would not be a fit in this offense. I see them bringing Buck back and drafting a RB.

What I'd really like to see them do is grab Derrick Ward in lieu of signing Buckhalter, though.

Any thoughts on Marvin? He's being released by the Colts, he grew up in Philly (standout at Roman Catholic) and still lives here in the offseason, him and Mcnabb set a couple of records together at syracuse, and could be gotten for cheap. MH, Desean, Curtis is better than anything else they roll out now..

Taken from a recent interview at the NFL Combine:

Reid made it clear he likes the position the Eagles are in to upgrade the team. They have the 21st and 28th picks in the first round of what is regarded as a draft deep in talent. They have 10 picks overall. And according to profootballtalk.com, the Eagles are $31 million under the mandatory salary cap of $124 million, giving them the freedom to be aggressive in free agency.

But 14 potential free agents were given franchise tags, leaving the pool of free agents pretty shallow.

"What this does is it gives you some flexibility with two first-round picks," Reid said. "We've got a little firepower there."

Reid prefers to upgrade through the draft than free agency, and he doesn't believe in drafting strictly to fill needs.

"You can't afford to draft for needs," he said. "People fall into that. I try not to do that. You understand what your weaknesses are and if that player's there and he's a quality player you take him. If that need is there and he's quality, then you take him. But if there's a way better player there at a different position, then you take that player.

"You don't want to get caught up in getting someone who's not that good just to try to fill a need."

With all that cap room, here is my wish list:

1. Stacy Andrews. Becomes the starting RT.

2. TJ Whosyourmamma. Upgrades the WR corp (bye bye Reggie Brown).

3. Leonard Weaver. Finally, a legitimate FB and short yardage guy to boot.

4. Any half decent TE to pair up with Brent Celek.

5. Sign Thomas and Dawkins.

6. If they don't go for a RB in the draft, make a play for Derrick Ward.

Who knows, maybe the make a play for Hainesworth to put along side Bunkley, Trent Cole and Victor Abiemiri? That would solidify the defense for quite some time, especially the front four.

Here's hoping they know what the hell they're doing this off-season.

Any thoughts on Marvin? He's being released by the Colts, he grew up in Philly (standout at Roman Catholic) and still lives here in the offseason, him and Mcnabb set a couple of records together at syracuse, and could be gotten for cheap. MH, Desean, Curtis is better than anything else they roll out now..

With TJ Housh and Anquan Boldin being available, it would be very "Eagle-like" for them to bring in the 57 year-old Harrison and expect fans to be believe they brought in a big-time receiver. :first:

With TJ Housh and Anquan Boldin being available, it would be very "Eagle-like" for them to bring in the 57 year-old Harrison and expect fans to be believe they brought in a big-time receiver. :o

While I agree that Marvin might not be the same impact that Boldin would (I am not sold on Housh being anything great once you take away Chad from lining up on the other side) Marvin can be had for a fraction of the cost that it would take to secure Boldin, which I don't see happening. I'd be much more enthusiastic if they did get Boldin, but I won't hold my breath.

And not for nothing, but I don't think Marvin is done and if you can grab a HOFer for a good deal, why not give it try? If you think that he is not an upgrade over guys like Reggie Brown or Greg Lewis so be it. I disagree.

While I agree that Marvin might not be the same impact that Boldin would (I am not sold on Housh being anything great once you take away Chad from lining up on the other side) Marvin can be had for a fraction of the cost that it would take to secure Boldin, which I don't see happening. I'd be much more enthusiastic if they did get Boldin, but I won't hold my breath.

And not for nothing, but I don't think Marvin is done and if you can grab a HOFer for a good deal, why not give it try? If you think that he is not an upgrade over guys like Reggie Brown or Greg Lewis so be it. I disagree.

I have no problem with them going after Harrison. But they have to look at him for what he will be in 2009- an aging receiver who's lost a step who has experience that could be helpful to the young guys like D. Jackson and co. If they sign Harrison thinking he's that #1 receiver that McNabb has been lacking, then they're doing an injustice to McNabb and the Eagle fans. It's the tightwad way out.

I have no problem with them going after Harrison. But they have to look at him for what he will be in 2009- an aging receiver who's lost a step who has experience that could be helpful to the young guys like D. Jackson and co. If they sign Harrison thinking he's that #1 receiver that McNabb has been lacking, then they're doing an injustice to McNabb and the Eagle fans. It's the tightwad way out.

agreed. Like I said, I think he's a short term upgrade, just not one that will be as impactful as Boldin.

agreed. Like I said, I think he's a short term upgrade, just not one that will be as impactful as Boldin.

Harrison's a better option than Reggie Brown, Greg Lewis, or Hank Baskett at this point.

If they can get him on the cheap, why not. He prolly would be good in the slot (along with Avant), and could definitely teach him and Jackson a few things as well.

610 WIP is reporting the Stacy Andrews signing is a done deal.

details to follow...

Very nice. Now they need to follow that up with signing Tra Thomas and Jason Brown at center.

That would give them one enormous offensive line next season.

Very nice. Now they need to follow that up with signing Tra Thomas and Jason Brown at center.

That would give them one enormous offensive line next season.

they will need it to alleviate their power-running woes, especially with haynesworth signing in washington and umenyiora healthy and pushing tuck back to the middle more often.

they will need it to alleviate their power-running woes, especially with haynesworth signing in washington and umenyiora healthy and pushing tuck back to the middle more often.

Every team in the NFC East needs to have an above average offensive line, quite frankly.

Good points, though. Haynesworth is definitely the guy to worry about. IMO, Jamal Jackson is average at best, so an upgrade is needed in the middle of the line. It also doesn't help that he made some bad line calls last year, some of them resulted in McNabb getting hit by unblocked defenders.

ugh, Dawkins is talking with the Broncos.

Say it ain't so Dawk... :dunno:

I think he is done talking.....

Brian Dawkins-DB- Eagles Feb. 27 - 4:54 pm et

The San Francisco Chronicle cites a league source reporting that Brian Dawkins has agreed to a two-year contract with the Broncos.