Sign in to follow this  
Yippie Skippy

Matt Cassel Traded To KC

Bad move on KC's part, they already had a QB that could play out of shotgun. 2 Thumbs down :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Definitely interested in what kinda picks were exchanged.

They are saying that we'll know the details later today.

i think it's a bad move, i think cassel is going to be like a david carr over there. if he coldn't lead the pats to the playoffs i don't think he will ever lead the chiefs to a winning record.

i think it's a bad move, i think cassel is going to be like a david carr over there. if he coldn't lead the pats to the playoffs i don't think he will ever lead the chiefs to a winning record.

I hope this trade is fact, though - I was scared to death the Niners were going to mortgage the farm on him. :thumbsdown:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Matt Cassel has been traded to the Chiefs.

The Boston Globe's Mike Reiss has confirmed the news, which is part of the trade sending Mike Vrabel West. There were rumors Cassel could be involved in a three-team swap, but it appears Kansas City will be his final destination. Compensation has not been announced, but it's safe to say the Tyler Thigpen era is over before it started. Cassel may not have excelled in every system, but he's set up for great long-term success under GM Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley, who will play to his strengths. A new contract is likely.

i dont see how the trade could be very good for either side... but thats fine by me :thumbsdown:

i would think the Pats would wan't to hold onto Cassell with Bradys health maybe still a ?. And depending what KC gave up, I hope he can play well for a lesser team. As someone already mentioned he could end up a pinata like David Carr in houston.

Rumor has it that the Patriots will get a Round 2 this year, Round 4 or 5 this year and Round 2 next year in the deal. Not confirmed, but I've seen reports that the No. 3 pick in this year's draft is not part of the package.

if he coldn't lead the pats to the playoffs i don't think he will ever lead the chiefs to a winning record.

Yeah, Matt Cassel sucks to have won 11 games in his first year. :thumbsdown:

Rumor has it that the Patriots will get a Round 2 this year, Round 4 or 5 this year and Round 2 next year in the deal. Not confirmed, but I've seen reports that the No. 3 pick in this year's draft is not part of the package.

That is exactly what the Pats were hoping for. Pick 34 is much better for them than #3. If they end up getting #34 and even a conditional next year (sounds like more than that), then they are going to be very happy. The cap space freed up by getting Cassel off the books is huge.

I was thinking the same thing. What if he was in the AFC West? Oh yeah, he is now. Now he has to see if he can do it without Randy Moss and Wes Welker but with Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez and whomever else they get.

With the dollar amount the #3 pick brings, I wonder if the Patriots would really want it.

I think the Lions are nuts to not try to offer the same deal (2nd rounder). They could get their QB of the future to throw to their stud QB, draft a LT with the #1 pick and use the #20 pick to fill some holes.

While I wish the Patriots were able to get a 1st rounder for Cassel, I never truly thought they could get one. I thought it would drag out a bit and they would have to settle for a 2nd rounder when they found that there was not a huge market for him. Two 2nd rounders (assuming that is the deal) is as good as I think they were going to get.

I too couldn't understand why some people didn't think Cassel did well last year. He struggled early in the year but did well down the stretch run. It was only the Dolphins incredible turn-around that stopped them, not Cassel. I wish him well. I do think the Pats will come to regret it.

With the dollar amount the #3 pick brings, I wonder if the Patriots would really want it.

I think the Lions are nuts to not try to offer the same deal (2nd rounder). They could get their QB of the future to throw to their stud QB, draft a LT with the #1 pick and use the #20 pick to fill some holes.

While I wish the Patriots were able to get a 1st rounder for Cassel, I never truly thought they could get one. I thought it would drag out a bit and they would have to settle for a 2nd rounder when they found that there was not a huge market for him. Two 2nd rounders (assuming that is the deal) is as good as I think they were going to get.

It is being reported by Peter King that the Pats are trading Cassel and Vrabel as part of the same deal. King is only talking about pick #34 for both players, but that seems a little light.

This must mean that the Brady injury stuff is only a rumor. He must be recovering just fine.

I agree, great trade by New England. He could have very well have been cut by them only seven months ago. Now they're getting a second round pick for him.

The Pats are having a very good offseason./ I think the Fred Taylor signing was a great move as well.

Honestly, I thought the team that really should have went after him was the Vikings. I view Cassell as a high risk ($), high reward type guy. The Vikings are ready to win now: best RB in the league, awesome line, tough defense. I don't know if a guy like Sage is going to get them into the SB...even if he is a nice upgrade over what they currently have. Cassell might not either, but he has a higher ceiling.

Have some balls and roll the dice.

The Pats are having a very good offseason./ I think the Fred Taylor signing was a great move as well.

And don't forget Chris Baker. That's one of those sneaky, under the radar sigings that New England is famous for.

You really have to explain this one.

Considering the money that is coming off the books thanks to getting rid of Cassel, one would think that cap space would be used for that third overall pick, wouldn't you think?

Besides, having the third overall pick would offer you a great opportunity to trade it to someone else for multiple picks, for both this year and next year.

I think this is a good deal for New England, and would not be surprised at all if they brought back Damon Huard to back up Brady this year.

Bad move on KC's part, they already had a QB that could play out of shotgun. 2 Thumbs down :dunno: :banana:

I love all this all he did was play in the shotgun crap... Obviously you peeps didn't watch many Pats games this year, the kid can play... and Pioli knows this first hand... Which is why he made the deal... HTH MB

ps and oh BTW Thigpen sucks and is not the answer for this team....

Bad move on KC's part, they already had a QB that could play out of shotgun. 2 Thumbs down :dunno: :banana:

Chiefs acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel in exchange for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft pick.

The teams have confirmed the compensation. Patriots fans won't be happy, but speculation is that New England preferred the second-round pick over the third overall because of the contract value. They also likely felt pressure to get Cassel's cap number off the books to move forward in free agency, and didn't find a better deal elsewhere. Cassel was not a lock to have success everywhere, but he's set up as a long-term fantasy starter with Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley playing to his strengths. The Chiefs will likely incorporate a pass-first, shotgun-heavy offense. Great news for Dwayne Bowe and company.

I changed my mind, they didnt give up much to get cassel, not a great move, but not terrible either.

Acquire Mark Bradley while you can. He might be fairly cheap this offseason and has a ton of upside in that offense.

I love all this all he did was play in the shotgun crap... Obviously you peeps didn't watch many Pats games this year, the kid can play... and Pioli knows this first hand... Which is why he made the deal... HTH MB

He did only play shotgun, try to keep up.

Matt Cassel's late-season success came almost exclusively out of the shotgun spread formation.

Starting with the overtime loss to the Jets, Cassel had six straight games in which 88 percent of his pass attempts came out of the shotgun. Similar to the Chiefs' Tyler Thigpen, Cassel was not comfortable under center, often seeming "robotic and mechanical" and lacking a feel for the pass rush. This news won't assuage doubts about Cassel's success being a product of the Patriots' system.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpag...Nfl&id=3237

well, smart play by the pats.

we may not truly know their [pats] confidence in brady's health or prognosis until he actually plays next yr [as i've posted several times]. the keys here are:

1] getting more/high value for a commodity that was once nothing

2] being able to do so because belichick now knows he can make something [competent back up qb capable of winning 10 games] from nothing [no name unproven backup qb on the roster].

You really have to explain this one.

Considering the money that is coming off the books thanks to getting rid of Cassel, one would think that cap space would be used for that third overall pick, wouldn't you think?

Besides, having the third overall pick would offer you a great opportunity to trade it to someone else for multiple picks, for both this year and next year.

I think this is a good deal for New England, and would not be surprised at all if they brought back Damon Huard to back up Brady this year.

Simple... KC was not going to trade the 3rd pick for Cassel... end of story... MB

well, smart play by the pats.

we may not truly know their [pats] confidence in brady's health or prognosis until he actually plays next yr [as i've posted several times]. the keys here are:

1] getting more/high value for a commodity that was once nothing

2] being able to do so because belichick now knows he can make something [competent back up qb capable of winning 10 games] from nothing [no name unproven backup qb on the roster].

Would not be the least bit surprised if the Patriots nabbed Thigpen or Brody Croyle if either one became available. :dunno:

Simple... KC was not going to trade the 3rd pick for Cassel... end of story... MB

Oh, I know. I just didn't understand that train of thought, thinking #34 was better than #3 (besides being retarded).

I think you should stick to skiing and smoking dope... And leave the GM duties to Pioli... MB

ps. And I don't give a rats @$$ about passer ratings... HE WON 11 games as an unproven back-up... Bottom line is the kis can play QB...

The bottom line is he was handed a team that went 16-0 the year before, with the best coaching staff in the league. They managed to work to his strengths, which included him passing out of shotgun.

My guess is Todd Haley is going to run a base shotgun spread offense, and at the price they acquired cassel for it isnt a bad move.

The bottom line is he was handed a team that went 16-0 the year before, with the best coaching staff in the league. They managed to work to his strengths, which included him passing out of shotgun.

My guess is Todd Haley is going to run a base shotgun spread offense, and at the price they acquired cassel for it isnt a bad move.

even jeff george was a stud throwing to randy moss/cris carter with 23tds and a 94 rating in only 10 starts going 8-2

Yeah, Matt Cassel sucks to have won 11 games in his first year. :unsure:

and he showed improvement every game....for last month of season was there a better nfl qb? statwise

Very happy to get the #35 pick for a guy who less than a year ago I thought would be cut loose. Vrabel wasn't worth the $$ he was signed for and very well may have been cut as well. Looking forward to draft day with 3- 2nd rounders, lots of good players available. I know the Pats will just piss me off and trade some away til next year. :unsure:

No way the Pats would want to sign Cassell to a long term contract at market rates or franchise him and pay him 14.5mil when they have Brady and a system that they feel would work well with many average qbs. So instead of letting him go for nothing what do they do? They take a the risk of franchising him and hope another team is willing to take the risk of paying him top dollar AND ALSO give some compensation. They found the Chefs. Now the Chefs are most likely going to pay Matt freaking Cassell the same as, or more than, guys like Ryan, Brees, Rivers etc. So not only are the CHefs taking a HUGE risk, but they gave something to the Pats in order to do it. UNreal. Well done Pats.

Oh, I know. I just didn't understand that train of thought, thinking #34 was better than #3 (besides being retarded).

Its just about getting a quality starter for a MUUUUUUUCH cheaper price... something the Patriots have mastered and a big reason why they're a tremendously run franchise....

Its just about getting a quality starter for a MUUUUUUUCH cheaper price... something the Patriots have mastered and a big reason why they're a tremendously run franchise....

like chad jackson, lawrence maroney?

Um, if you decided to trade picks, which one is gonna yield the bigger and better return: the #3 pick or the #34 pick?

Basically, KC was never gonna trade that #3 pick, yet some folks are under the assumption that it was on the table.

Chiefs are positioning themselves well for the future with this move. Cassell is at least more of a safe play than Sanchez or Stafford with the 3rd pick. Now they could go after a guy like Curry or someone else who is more of a sure thing to come in right away and play at a high level with the 3rd overall pick. People also keep referring to how Cassell will be playing on an inferior team. However, this team has a lot of talented youth to build around, and still has a ton of money left to spend on free agents, even after picking up the contracts of Vrabel and Cassell.

LT Branden Albert

LG Bryan Waters

C Rudy Niswanger

RG

RT

Some questions still on the right side of the line. I think Herb Taylor could play RT and do a good job. He played well at LT in pre-season when Albert was out, I say give him a chance and see what he can do. I could also see Niswanger moving to RG, if the Chiefs were to find a better C.

QB Matt Cassell

RB Larry Johnosn, Jamaar Charles, Kolby Smith

FB

WR Dwayne Bowe

WR

TE Tony Gonzalez, Brad Cottam

Pretty set here, but still need to find that playmaking WR to play opposite Bowe. If they were able to nab a guy like Housh, lookout. For the person that suggested the Pats end up with Croyle or Thigpen to backup Brady, Thigpen will be the backup in KC, he has earned that at least. Quinn Gray will be No. 3, so the Pats can probably have Croyle :dunno:

CB Brandon Carr

CB Brandon Flowers

SS Bernard Pollard, DeJuan Morgan

FS Jarrad Page

I think the Chiefs feel comfortable with the secondary. Carr and Flowers played very well last year in their rookie years, and I expect 2nd year guy Morgan to push both Page and Pollard this year. Could probably use some depth at CB however.

The real question lies with the front 7.

D-Linemen: Glenn Dorsey, Tamba Hali, Tank Tyler, Alfonso Boone, and a few others

LBs: Derrick Johnson, Demorrio Williams, Mike Vrabel, and a couple others

The trick is going to be what they do with the front 7, that will probably more than anything determine what kind of season the Chiefs have next year. Still no reason to believe they won't be able to compete in the division next season.

:unsure: