Sign in to follow this  
Kilroy

Steve Slaton: RB, Houston Texans

Steve Slaton: RB, Houston Texans  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Will Slaton be Steppin Up or Steppin Down in 2009?

• Steppin Up
    • Steppin Down
    • Stayin Put

- Steve Slaton - Yr 2008 | 16 G | 15 GS | 268 CAR | 1282 Yds Ru (4.8 ypc) | 9 TD | 50 Rec | 377 Yds Rec (7.5 ypr) | 1 TD

What's the board's thoughs?

im going with staying put. The texans are claiming Chris Brown could be the compliment that they didnt get in the draft. They signed Arian Foster as an undrafted rookie FA who probably has more potential to do damage to Slatons production than Brown does. Im still shocked Kubiak didnt go out of his way to draft Gartrell Johnson(played with Kubiaks sons at CSU), who would have been a great power back to pair with Slaton

The texans are claiming Chris Brown could be the compliment that they didnt get in the draft. They signed Arian Foster as an undrafted rookie FA who probably has more potential to do damage to Slatons production than Brown does. Im still shocked Kubiak didnt go out of his way to draft Gartrell Johnson(played with Kubiaks sons at CSU), who would have been a great power back to pair with Slaton

I got to go with Stayin Put on Slaton too - only because his rookie season was impressive enough as it is. I didn't have any particular RB I expected the Texans to select, but I was surprised to see them go the whole draft without taking anyone at the position.

I did read a month or so before the draft that Chris Brown may eat into Slaton's touches (at the goal line was mentioned), but I won't believe that until I see it. Even if it looks that way early on, it seems Chris Brown is about as fragile as they come. By the end of the season he's as likely be on IR as he is to be on the field.

As for Gartrell Johnson, I didn't know they signed him - nor do I know who he is. I do like getting that type of info though, so thanks for making mention of it. :pointstosky:

I think LBH is saying he's shocked they did Not sign Gartrell Johnson. Gartrell Johnson signed with San Diego.

As for Slaton I'll say staying put which is great fantasy production again.

I think LBH is saying he's shocked they did Not sign Gartrell Johnson. Gartrell Johnson signed with San Diego.

As for Slaton I'll say staying put which is great fantasy production again.

:thumbsup: yup saying im shocked they didnt draft him. He was drafted by SD

oops, my bad, I obviously misread that, lol.

i think arian foster is going to dip into his carries as a change of pace back. i like jemiah johnson, but he is pretty much he same as slaton

stepping down for me.

Im still in the camp who thinks he won't hold up. And when you have that in the back of your mind as well as possible soph. slumps Ill probably be staying away from him come draft day.

I really think they needed to get a legit power back in there to split time. If it seems like someone they have can fill that role after camps and preseason and everything, then i may change my tune

Staying put - - Slaton had over 1500 total yards and 10 td's. That's a pretty solid total right there. I don't see him getting too many more td's than the 10. That being said, the guy was very productive last year, so why would management want to put a player of less talent on the field? He will get his touches and yards IMO. IF he breaks down, he breaks down so be it. Sophomore Slump - ha - that's a myth. About as silly as third year breakout for WR's Matt Jones & Mark Clayton.

Staying put with 1500 total yards and 10 td's

i think arian foster is going to dip into his carries as a change of pace back. i like jemiah johnson, but he is pretty much he same as slaton

As a longtime UT fan, let me tell you that Arian Foster sucks, and wasn't even the best back on the UT roster most of his tenure in Knoxville. You won't be hearing from him in the NFL again, trust me.

I'm going with staying put. I think only 2 TDs came at the goal line. So if they do pick up a short yardage guy I don't think it would hurt Slaton as much as helping the Texans.

Chance for better but should atleast stay about the same. Nobody there is taking any of his carries. Yes he'll split some time like last year to keep him fresh and not overload him due to his smaller size but should still see 270-290 carries and catch 50-60 passes on the year.

I got to go with Stayin Put on Slaton too - only because his rookie season was impressive enough as it is. I didn't have any particular RB I expected the Texans to select, but I was surprised to see them go the whole draft without taking anyone at the position.

I did read a month or so before the draft that Chris Brown may eat into Slaton's touches (at the goal line was mentioned), but I won't believe that until I see it. Even if it looks that way early on, it seems Chris Brown is about as fragile as they come. By the end of the season he's as likely be on IR as he is to be on the field.

I think Slaton's numbers will go up with the addition of Chris Brown.

for a portion of last year, Houston didnt really have anyone capable of stepping in to give slaton a rest. And I think it showed in some of the games where his effectiveness was not as high.

part of this could also be attributed to the fact that he was a rookie and still had to develop the mental toughness that is needed to perform at a high level day in and day out.

Brown is an good back for this purpose. I think hes too fragile to do much more, and I dont think he could step in for more than a couple of games if Slaton should get hurt.

I know some draft sites listed RB as an area of need for Houston, but from what I saw, Slaton looked fine. He just got a bit worn down late in some games. I think a good off season workout program and the step they took to sign Brown will help him out in this respect.

Just in case you have any doubts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JFqO4mYjSc

Good video......did anyone notice that flagrant hold at about .055-.057 of the vid? It was a run against Indy, but I don't remember whether it was called or not. .

I vote steppin' down.....just a little. He will not be the goal line back this season. He just failed at it too often last season. Really, that is the only fault I have with him, except that his hard-nosed running style leads to injury for a back his size. He will certainly have company in the backfield this year, which can both hurt(#'s) and help(rest) him.

I believe 1000 yards and 7 TD's sounds about right, but although I owned him lat season, he will likely be drafted to high for me to grab this season.

Staying put - - Slaton had over 1500 total yards and 10 td's. That's a pretty solid total right there. I don't see him getting too many more td's than the 10. That being said, the guy was very productive last year, so why would management want to put a player of less talent on the field? He will get his touches and yards IMO. IF he breaks down, he breaks down so be it. Sophomore Slump - ha - that's a myth. About as silly as third year breakout for WR's Matt Jones & Mark Clayton.

Staying put with 1500 total yards and 10 td's

while I don't exactly believe in a phenomenon called the sophomore slump, I do believe in seeing someone do it more than once, which Slaton has not. Im not saying he can't do it, but its usually a concern of mine when evaluating a player in fantasy terms wether they are coming off a rookie year or just a first year as a starter.

However vets coming off their first year as a starter also have spent more time in an NFL system than a 2nd year player....

not the only factor in my thinking he steps down tho. there is also his size and the lack of getting a back to ease his load which i think a back fo his size will need.

Good video......did anyone notice that flagrant hold at about .055-.057 of the vid? It was a run against Indy, but I don't remember whether it was called or not. .

I vote steppin' down.....just a little. He will not be the goal line back this season. He just failed at it too often last season. Really, that is the only fault I have with him, except that his hard-nosed running style leads to injury for a back his size. He will certainly have company in the backfield this year, which can both hurt(#'s) and help(rest) him.

I believe 1000 yards and 7 TD's sounds about right, but although I owned him lat season, he will likely be drafted to high for me to grab this season.

well, I would bet that his off season workout program targeted strength and durability/endurance.

If he comes into camp with an extra 5-10 lbs of muscle, you may well see a more powerful back that can get it done at the goal line and wont get worn down to the degree he did last season.

however, we shall see what happens.

all I know is I got him in my keeper league (keep 3 auction format for the rest) for 1$ and he was well worth the cash.

nothing behind him

a rising offense

if he stays healthy - thats the concern with that frame -- i can't see less than 1300 ru yards with another 50-65 rec and another 500 yds. throw in 10 -12 scores.

Its been rumored on Houston radio that James Casey the Rice TE the Texans drafted may become the short yardage and goal line back. He might be a player to keep you eye on for a late round pick. He can run, catch, and pass the ball.

im going with staying put. The texans are claiming Chris Brown could be the compliment that they didnt get in the draft. They signed Arian Foster as an undrafted rookie FA who probably has more potential to do damage to Slatons production than Brown does. Im still shocked Kubiak didnt go out of his way to draft Gartrell Johnson(played with Kubiaks sons at CSU), who would have been a great power back to pair with Slaton

The fact Johnson played with Kubiak's son may be the reason why Kubiak didnt take him.

I'm betting he got a better look at that kid and for one reason or another decided he wasnt right for his scheme (and his son probably gave some kind of insight into what kind of guy he was in the dressing room).

Either way, Kubiak is no dummy. He knows what works in his schemes and he knows what kind of personalities he wants in the dressing room.

His run at about 1:50 in might be the reason the Texans decided not to draft a goal-line back...Michael Griffin meet the bottom of Steve Slaton's cleats. Impressive.

hehe, that was impressive.

in fact, that youtube video shows just how elusive this kid is.

In last year's auction draft I drafted this kid for a dollar (minimum bid in our league) and was very happy with the bang I got for my buck.

nothing behind him

a rising offense

if he stays healthy - thats the concern with that frame -- i can't see less than 1300 ru yards with another 50-65 rec and another 500 yds. throw in 10 -12 scores.

:music_guitarred:

I am really high on Slaton this year. There are valid concerns about him but I love the kid's talent. I watched him closely at WVU as a Terp alum because Friedgen pulled his scholarship and he routinely destroyed the Terps defense.

I doubted him last year b/c I dint think he would be durable enough. Thats still a concern but I also saw him play a lot last year he looks much stronger than he did in college. And he was even more explosive than my favorite player from last summer CJ4.24.

The question for me is gonna be all about where you can get him. In my early rankings I have him grouped with about 10 Rbs in the top 13. And I really like him about as much as anybody in that group. Sure there is risks with him but there is also a lot of risks in the rest of the group.

I would have no problem considering him in the mid first but would LOVE to be able to land him as late as mid second.

agreed, Terp. Slaton represented true value last yr. now he's a big name.

i'm a believer in this kid. he's talented. we all saw that. if he stays healthy i see no reason why he wont put up solid RB1-2 numbers.

Slaton will tear it up and I plan on taking him early in the first. Lots of upside on an explosive offense.

Seems Slaton has risen to end of the first round status. Is NO ONE concerned that Kubiak, as a Shanarat disciple, will screw us fantasy footballers? All those years of "avoid the Denver RB carasoul" were due strictly to Shanahan and not Kubiak? SOP for Denver in those days was to draft mid rounds backs, make them a star, and ship them off. No one thinks Kubiak would pull the switcharoo ala Shanahan?

I honestly don't know, but I'm a little suprised that no one is concerned about it as they take Slaton in the 1st.

I've lived in Houston for 30 years. Followed Oilers and now Texans intensely. Chris Brown was cut last year because he could never get healthy. Foster was hurt yesterday in practice. Ryan Moats is #2 on the depth chart. Texans continue to bring in backs to look at. As of now, Slaton has NO ONE who will take carries away from him. He's added 10lbs of muscle and reminds me of Emmit in his ability to avoid big hits. Only thing keeping Slaton out of pro bowl and top 5 fantasy points is an injury. Expect Big things from Slaton this year.

Kubiak was out of Denver by the time Shanahan really started shuffling RBs in terms of big RBBC in 06/07/08. The lead guy in the few years before then was still always good for at least around 240 carries and plenty of scores. Kubiak/Shanahan gave us a few great years of Portis, too, so it's not like they were averse to letting a talented guy be the workhorse when he was around. There's no reason to dig up a Mike Anderson when you already have your Portis. That line and system was so good that, yeah, you could plug in almost anybody, but it's not like it worked better with the one-year scrubs. I am totally unconcerned about Steve Slaton on this front.

Do the same opinions hold true now that we saw Brown replace him and score a TD from 2 yards out? My guess is that if this trend continues throughout preseason, we might see Slatons stock fall quickly before week 1.

I know that it is still early, and maybe the coaches only penciled him in for 5 or 6 plays to begin with, but the rumblings we have been hearing of a goal line back in Houston seem to be coming to fruition.

I had Slaton penciled in as my keeper this year, but now am leaning back to Barber.

Who should I keep...Slaton or Barber?      

Do the same opinions hold true now that we saw Brown replace him and score a TD from 2 yards out? My guess is that if this trend continues throughout preseason, we might see Slatons stock fall quickly before week 1.

I know that it is still early, and maybe the coaches only penciled him in for 5 or 6 plays to begin with, but the rumblings we have been hearing of a goal line back in Houston seem to be coming to fruition.

I had Slaton penciled in as my keeper this year, but now am leaning back to Barber.

There was talk of weather concerns bringing Slaton out, which happened to coincide with the red zone trip, which confuses the matter. And Brown won't stay healthy for long anyway.

There was talk of weather concerns bringing Slaton out, which happened to coincide with the red zone trip, which confuses the matter. And Brown won't stay healthy for long anyway.

Wasnt aware of the weather....didnt get to see the game, only highlights and what I have read. Thanks for the info!

Who should I keep...Slaton or Barber?      

Even though I see Slaton losing alot of GL touches this year I would much rather have him than MBIII.

MBIII should get a ton of TD's, but TD numbers are really fickle even for the TD machines (see Brandon Jacobs) and he has SERIOUS competition in all the other aspects of the game.Felix and Tashard are much better than what Slaton has backing him up.

I hope Chris Brown goes nuts in the preseason so Slaton falls to me late.

Chris Brown...people really concerned about Chris Brown. CHRIS BROWN!? HE IS WHO WE THINK HE IS!

Slaton lost 5 "goaline" TD's last year to Green, Moats & Leach. Only 4 of his 9 touchdowns were from the goaline. Chris Brown has missed 42 games in the last 6 years and is also not much of a goaline back himself. Slaton added a little weight this year and while he was not good at the goaline last year I can't believe he'll never be in down there because of Chris Brown.

I really don't see things as any different than they were last year. Yes he'll be spelled some but think he almost needs it and will help him in the long run. He'll never be a top 3-5 superstar back unless he gets more heavily involved in the passing game (ala Westy) but will still be excellent value and end up somewhere between the 6-12th Rb's overall without a doubt.

Slaton lost 5 "goaline" TD's last year to Green, Moats & Leach. Only 4 of his 9 touchdowns were from the goaline. Chris Brown has missed 42 games in the last 6 years and is also not much of a goaline back himself. Slaton added a little weight this year and while he was not good at the goaline last year I can't believe he'll never be in down there because of Chris Brown.

I really don't see things as any different than they were last year. Yes he'll be spelled some but think he almost needs it and will help him in the long run. He'll never be a top 3-5 superstar back unless he gets more heavily involved in the passing game (ala Westy) but will still be excellent value and end up somewhere between the 6-12th Rb's overall without a doubt.

I could be wrong, but didn't he get in the neighborhood of 50 receptions last year? If he can up that to 60, that equates (in my .5 ppr league) to 5 TD's worth of points. That should more than make up for the 2-3 weeks Chrissy Brown can stay healthy and steal scoring opps from him.

He caught an above average amount of balls last year. He's a pretty big receiving threat.

Brown will eat into Slatons carries until someone tackles him, bruising his clitoris, then he'll pick up the ball and go home. I figure this will happen by week 3. :music_guitarred: