Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

rookie drafts - specific players to target

I am just wondering who you guys are targetting in your rookie drafts. Her is mine.

QB - Not really targetting any QBs

WR - This is my biggest need and I have 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd rounders. I will try and get at least 2 of these guys: Maclin, Nicks, Robiskie, Britt. Might look at Iglesias in the 3rd if he's there. Collie with the Colts is getting a lot of love lately and I would look at him if he fell far enough. I also like Thomas or Dillard with the Jags late.

RB - The obvious picks are Moreno and Wells, but I probably will go WR early because it's a bigger need for me. I am hoping to land Brown, McCoy or Greene although these guys sem to be moving up also. I also like Bernard Scott late.

TE - No targets

IDP - Curry, Maybin, E. Brown, Cushing

Nothing really new or unusual here. I'm just thinking about it because I have a rookie draft starting today and another starting next Sat. Any thoughts?

I only researched players that could be had late since I had no 1-3 round picks this year.

Here's some deep sleepers:

(only commenting on guys that could go in the 4th or later round of a 12-team offense only dynasty draft -- and most of these guys would be on your taxi/developmental squad for a year or two)

RB

Arian Foster, HOU -- Slaton's great, but what if he can't repeat or if he gets injured? There is no one on the team that is guaranteed to be the #2 RB. And there's a very small, but realistic chance that he actually steals the starting job from Slaton. That's hard to say about many rookie backs going to teams with a solid starting RB already.

Devin Moore, SEA -- unlike HOU, there isn't a solid starter here. Julius Jones likely keeps the job, but Moore will be the CoP and if you get points for special teams play, Moore could help there. And if JJ starts sucking, Moore will have a chance at the starting job.

Bernard Scott, CIN -- the 38th player taken in my rookie draft. If this kid was solid off-field, he'd have gone day one. But he needs to stay out of trouble. A solid draft position for such upside.

WR

Johnny Knox, CHI -- kid's pretty good, open competition in CHI and I am a Cutler-lover.

Mike Thomas/Jaret Dilliard, JAC -- One of these guys will likely go too late, grab him. Garrard is a much better FF QB than most give him credit for and with an improved OL, Jax will have a much better pass game this year. Defintely good to pair up with Holt, assuming you already have Holt. Get extra points for special teams? Thomas is likely to more action there. these two will likely go in the third round. Try to take them as a pair since one should certainly hit and both might see action sooner rather than later.

Dominique Edison (50th)/Dudley Guice* (54th), TEN -- Another open competition. Guice has just as good a chance to climb the depth charts to FF relevance as Edison and can be had much later. Or take both in the middle rounds for an increased chance at landing the next starting WR in TEN.

* I took him at 54th, but I suspect he's so far under the radar that he could've slipped back to me in the next round.

QB

Nate Davis, SF -- Hill ain't a lock at the starting gig. Even if Davis performs like he can and takes the starting job, it's a few years before FF relevance.

Tom Brandstater, DEN -- A solid developmental QB with all the tools. Could be the starter in 2010 under a HC who is somewhat famous for improving or developing QBs. FF relevant in 2011?

Curtis Painter, IND -- I really thought DEN would take this kid. When his at his best, he's as good as anyone. Too bad his worst happens just as often. I think IND loves Peyton so much, that retiring would strictly be on his term and that might happen after Painter's rookie contract is done. If you can hold a QB for 5-6 years before results start to happen, I think Painter could be the next stud.

TE

James Casey, HOU -- a great, do everything TE who may even steal some running goal line carries if the RBs have short-yardage issues. A definite handcuff for ODaniel's owners. A great taxi player if you've got room.

Davon Drew, BAL -- the only lower tier TE whom I think has any kind of chance be the starter this year.

Have any sleepers that you'd like to share?

I am just wondering who you guys are targetting in your rookie drafts. Her is mine.

QB - Not really targetting any QBs

WR - This is my biggest need and I have 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd rounders. I will try and get at least 2 of these guys: Maclin, Nicks, Robiskie, Britt. Might look at Iglesias in the 3rd if he's there. Collie with the Colts is getting a lot of love lately and I would look at him if he fell far enough. I also like Thomas or Dillard with the Jags late.

RB - The obvious picks are Moreno and Wells, but I probably will go WR early because it's a bigger need for me. I am hoping to land Brown, McCoy or Greene although these guys sem to be moving up also. I also like Bernard Scott late.

TE - No targets

IDP - Curry, Maybin, E. Brown, Cushing

Nothing really new or unusual here. I'm just thinking about it because I have a rookie draft starting today and another starting next Sat. Any thoughts?

QB - take Freeman in the 3rd if available. He was a 1st round pick, has the atheletic skills, but needs to work on his decisions making - which all young QB's need to. The Bucs have two great targets locked up for him in Antonio Bryant and Kellon Winslow Jr. Look for Freeman to be a starter next year - fantasy, who knows but worth taking a shot at in a dynasty league. Freeman has just as much of a chance of working out as Sanchez or Stafford, but is at a fantasy value right now.

RB - Even if you are stacked at RB and weak at WR, you have to come away with one of Moreno, Wells, Brown, or McCoy if possible. If they are there draft one, then go to your WR need.

WR - I like your list with one edit, place Harvin in for Robiskie. Robiskie in the 2nd round is fine with me, but not before. Braylon Edwards looks like he is going no where and until he does Robiskie is worth no more than a 2nd round rookie draft pick. If DHB is there early in the 2nd I'd take him over Robiskie too. Here would be my list, assuming Crabtree goes in the first few picks, my next choices would be:

1st Rounders:

1) Harvin - love his game. He is a special player that rarely comes along....combination of Reggie Bush and Steve Smith. Listening to experts like Chris Carter just reinforced my opinion on him - Carter watched the Gators 6 times last year and said Harvin was by far the best player on the field every game. He is a game changer and will be used in many different ways on offense. He is underrated as a WR - his numbers were down last year do to a foot injury. 17 TD's in 12 games. I like to compare him to a Steve Smith and Reggie Bush hybrid. Draft around 1.6

2) Maclin - Not sure why people are liking Nicks over Maclin at this point. There was a reason why the Eagles traded up to get him - it was because the Giants wanted him too and were looking to move into the same spot. If both the Eagles and Giants wanted him, there must be something to like about this guy. Draft around 1.8

3) Britt - I love his size at 6'3. If you can wait 3 years for reward, then this is your guy if 1 & 2 are gone. Draft around 1.11

4) Nicks - Will be rated ahead of Britt on most people's boards, but I am not high on him at all. I think Nicks is vastly overrated. He doesn't have the size everyone is talking about. He is only 6'1 210 lbs....how is that so much bigger than Maclin who is 6'0, 202 lbs? Maclin is considered undersized, yet Nicks is suppose to be this big possession WR. Nicks will struggle getting open because he has average speed and really is not that big. Sorry guys, I would avoid drafting this guy. Nicks will struggle to separate himself from the pack in NY.

2nd Rounders:

Robiskie - 2.1

DHB - draft him if there at 2.1-2.3

Tate - NFL 1st round talent if not for injury.

TE's: VERY strong TE Class!! Why are you not considering TE's? In the 3rd and 4th round take TE's that you know will have an impact over shots in the dark at RB and WR. My rankings for TE's: 1) Cook - next Gates or Winslow 2) Nelson 3) Pettigrew - blocking 1st TE, then recieving 4) Ingram 5) Coffman 6) Beckum

IDP: Forget about it. Draft TE over IDP.

I only researched players that could be had late since I had no 1-3 round picks this year.

Here's some deep sleepers:

(only commenting on guys that could go in the 4th or later round of a 12-team offense only dynasty draft -- and most of these guys would be on your taxi/developmental squad for a year or two)

RB

Arian Foster, HOU -- Slaton's great, but what if he can't repeat or if he gets injured? There is no one on the team that is guaranteed to be the #2 RB. And there's a very small, but realistic chance that he actually steals the starting job from Slaton. That's hard to say about many rookie backs going to teams with a solid starting RB already. Meh - he's going 2nd round, but I don't see it.

Devin Moore, SEA -- unlike HOU, there isn't a solid starter here. Julius Jones likely keeps the job, but Moore will be the CoP and if you get points for special teams play, Moore could help there. And if JJ starts sucking, Moore will have a chance at the starting job. Moore is a change of pace back only. He is too small for the starting RB job....He is NOT the 2nd coming of Chris Johnson. A 4th round dynasty pick.

Bernard Scott, CIN -- the 38th player taken in my rookie draft. If this kid was solid off-field, he'd have gone day one. But he needs to stay out of trouble. A solid draft position for such upside. He is absolutely a dynasty high risk/high upside guy. He was one of my 3rd round targets. WORTH TARGETING

WR

Johnny Knox, CHI -- kid's pretty good, open competition in CHI and I am a Cutler-lover. A hidden gem - very nice target for round 4. WORTH TARGETING

Mike Thomas/Jaret Dilliard, JAC -- One of these guys will likely go too late, grab him. Garrard is a much better FF QB than most give him credit for and with an improved OL, Jax will have a much better pass game this year. Defintely good to pair up with Holt, assuming you already have Holt. Get extra points for special teams? Thomas is likely to more action there. these two will likely go in the third round. Try to take them as a pair since one should certainly hit and both might see action sooner rather than later. I love both of these guys as round 2 -3 targets. IMO Thomas has more upside, but Dillard is more NFL ready - both of these guys should have solid NFL careers. Dillard is going 1st (early round 2) in almost all drafts. BOTH WORTH TARGETING

Dominique Edison (50th)/Dudley Guice* (54th), TEN -- Another open competition. Guice has just as good a chance to climb the depth charts to FF relevance as Edison and can be had much later. Or take both in the middle rounds for an increased chance at landing the next starting WR in TEN. * I took him at 54th, but I suspect he's so far under the radar that he could've slipped back to me in the next round. If your rookie draft goes more than 4 rounds, remember these names - both small school guys with potential to make it big. BOTH WORTH A SHOT IN DEEP ROOKIE DRAFTS

QB

Nate Davis, SF -- Hill ain't a lock at the starting gig. Even if Davis performs like he can and takes the starting job, it's a few years before FF relevance. I took him late 3rd round and was very happy. He has all the tools (including the quickest release of all the rooks) and only slipped (badly) in the NFL draft due to his dyslezia. WORTH TARGETING in late rd 3 - to early rd 4

Tom Brandstater, DEN -- A solid developmental QB with all the tools Could be the starter in 2010 under a HC who is somewhat famous for improving or developing QBs. FF relevant in 2011? Dynasty relevant in about round 5.

Curtis Painter, IND -- I really thought DEN would take this kid. When his at his best, he's as good as anyone. Too bad his worst happens just as often. I think IND loves Peyton so much, that retiring would strictly be on his term and that might happen after Painter's rookie contract is done. If you can hold a QB for 5-6 years before results start to happen, I think Painter could be the next stud. Similar to Brandstater for dynasty value - relevant in about round 5.

TE

James Casey, HOU -- a great, do everything TE who may even steal some running goal line carries if the RBs have short-yardage issues. A definite handcuff for ODaniel's owners. A great taxi player if you've got room. Another round 5 name with potential.

Davon Drew, BAL -- the only lower tier TE whom I think has any kind of chance be the starter this year. Not saying he don't have some talent but you can get him as the "Mr irrelevant"in your dynasty draft.

Have any sleepers that you'd like to share?

Nice list, especially for deeper rookie drafts.

QB - take Freeman in the 3rd if available. He was a 1st round pick, has the atheletic skills, but needs to work on his decisions making - which all young QB's need to. The Bucs have two great targets locked up for him in Antonio Bryant and Kellon Winslow Jr. Look for Freeman to be a starter next year - fantasy, who knows but worth taking a shot at in a dynasty league. Freeman has just as much of a chance of working out as Sanchez or Stafford, but is at a fantasy value right now.

RB - Even if you are stacked at RB and weak at WR, you have to come away with one of Moreno, Wells, Brown, or McCoy if possible. If they are there draft one, then go to your WR need.

WR - I like your list with one edit, place Harvin in for Robiskie. Robiskie in the 2nd round is fine with me, but not before. Braylon Edwards looks like he is going no where and until he does Robiskie is worth no more than a 2nd round rookie draft pick. If DHB is there early in the 2nd I'd take him over Robiskie too. Here would be my list, assuming Crabtree goes in the first few picks, my next choices would be:

1st Rounders:

1) Harvin - love his game. He is a special player that rarely comes along....combination of Reggie Bush and Steve Smith. Listening to experts like Chris Carter just reinforced my opinion on him - Carter watched the Gators 6 times last year and said Harvin was by far the best player on the field every game. He is a game changer and will be used in many different ways on offense. He is underrated as a WR - his numbers were down last year do to a foot injury. 17 TD's in 12 games. I like to compare him to a Steve Smith and Reggie Bush hybrid. Draft around 1.6

2) Maclin - Not sure why people are liking Nicks over Maclin at this point. There was a reason why the Eagles traded up to get him - it was because the Giants wanted him too and were looking to move into the same spot. If both the Eagles and Giants wanted him, there must be something to like about this guy. Draft around 1.8

3) Britt - I love his size at 6'3. If you can wait 3 years for reward, then this is your guy if 1 & 2 are gone. Draft around 1.11

4) Nicks - Will be rated ahead of Britt on most people's boards, but I am not high on him at all. I think Nicks is vastly overrated. He doesn't have the size everyone is talking about. He is only 6'1 210 lbs....how is that so much bigger than Maclin who is 6'0, 202 lbs? Maclin is considered undersized, yet Nicks is suppose to be this big possession WR. Nicks will struggle getting open because he has average speed and really is not that big. Sorry guys, I would avoid drafting this guy. Nicks will struggle to separate himself from the pack in NY.

2nd Rounders:

Robiskie - 2.1

Tate - NFL 1st round talent if not for injury.

TE's: VERY strong TE Class!! Why are you not considering TE's? In the 3rd and 4th round take TE's that you know will have an impact over shots in the dark at RB and WR. My rankings for TE's: 1) Cook - next Gates or Winslow 2) Nelson 3) Pettigrew - blocking 1st TE, then recieving 4) Ingram 5) Coffman 6) Beckum

All good points. I am not looking to target any specific TE for 2 reason. 1. I all ready have 2 very good TE's. 2. As you said, the calss is dep. I can probably pick u pa decent TE3 in the last round out of who is left or even as a FA after the draft. The only issue I have with your analysis is that I'm not sold on Harvin and I love Nicks.

QB - take Freeman in the 3rd if available. He was a 1st round pick, has the atheletic skills, but needs to work on his decisions making - which all young QB's need to. The Bucs have two great targets locked up for him in Antonio Bryant and Kellon Winslow Jr. Look for Freeman to be a starter next year - fantasy, who knows but worth taking a shot at in a dynasty league. Freeman has just as much of a chance of working out as Sanchez or Stafford, but is at a fantasy value right now. AGREED.

RB - Even if you are stacked at RB and weak at WR, you have to come away with one of Moreno, Wells, Brown, or McCoy if possible. If they are there draft one, then go to your WR need. I agree with your 1st 3 - I'd take about 5 WRs ahead of McCoy, though. McCoy is a 3 year project.

WR - I like your list with one edit, place Harvin in for Robiskie. Robiskie in the 2nd round is fine with me, but not before. Braylon Edwards looks like he is going no where and until he does Robiskie is worth no more than a 2nd round rookie draft pick. If DHB is there early in the 2nd I'd take him over Robiskie too. Robiskie's value will not be hurt but will be enhanced by having Edwards there. And there's NO WAY I'd take DHB before Robiskie.

Here would be my list, assuming Crabtree goes in the first few picks, my next choices would be:

1st Rounders:

1) Harvin - love his game. He is a special player that rarely comes along....combination of Reggie Bush and Steve Smith. Listening to experts like Chris Carter just reinforced my opinion on him - Carter watched the Gators 6 times last year and said Harvin was by far the best player on the field every game. He is a game changer and will be used in many different ways on offense. He is underrated as a WR - his numbers were down last year do to a foot injury. 17 TD's in 12 games. I like to compare him to a Steve Smith and Reggie Bush hybrid. Draft around 1.6. AGREED He slipped to 1.10 in my draft (I took him) ; Robiskie went 1.09.

4) Nicks - Will be rated ahead of Britt on most people's boards, but I am not high on him at all. I think Nicks is vastly overrated. He doesn't have the size everyone is talking about. He is only 6'1 210 lbs....how is that so much bigger than Maclin who is 6'0, 202 lbs? Maclin is considered undersized, yet Nicks is suppose to be this big possession WR. Nicks will struggle getting open because he has average speed and really is not that big. Sorry guys, I would avoid drafting this guy. Nicks will struggle to separate himself from the pack in NY. My opinion is just the opposite. I'd take Nicks over both Maclin and Britt.

2nd Rounders:

Robiskie - 2.1

Tate - NFL 1st round talent if not for injury. AGREED

Cook is a raw talent with absolutely no blocking skills. Nelson is the first target here - in mid round 3.

Here's our current 5 rounder (rookie and free agents) in progress to give you some idea

Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB

Wells, Chris ARI RB

Brown, Donald IND RB

Crabtree, Michael SFO WR

McCoy, LeSean PHI RB

Greene, Shonn NYJ RB

Harvin, Percy MIN WR

Stafford, Matthew DET QB

Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR

Sanchez, Mark NYJ QB

Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR

Britt, Kenny TEN WR

Brown, Andre NYG RB

Heyward-Bey, Darrius OAK WR

Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE

Davis, James CLE RB

Breaston, Steve ARI WR

Peerman, Cedric BAL RB

Coffee, Glen SFO RB

Davis, Nate SFO QB

Robiskie, Brian CLE WR

Jennings, Rashad JAC RB

Barden, Ramses NYG WR

Johnson, Gartrell SDC RB

Tate, Brandon NEP WR

Stokley, Brandon DEN WR

Vick, Michael ATL QB

Celek, Brent PHI TE

Iglesias, Juaquin CHI WR

Cook, Jared TEN TE

Dillard, Jarett JAC WR

Freeman, Josh TBB QB

Scott, Bernard CIN RB

Brandon GBP RB

Culpepper, Daunte DET QB

Goodson, Mike CAR RB

Nelson, Shawn BUF TE

Knox, Johnny CHI WR

Bills, Buffalo Def

Collie, Austin IND WR

McCown, Luke TBB QB

Nice list, especially for deeper rookie drafts.

Arian Foster, HOU is going in the 2nd round of some drafts?!

Devin Moore, I agree that he's not CJ and that he is nothing more than a CoP, BUT opportunity is definitely here and then the big, "what if". I got him at the end of the 4th round of a 16-team.

I honestly think TE is the position to target this year after the first 15-20 picks are off the board. In my recent 6 round, 12 team draft, I took Cook, Nelson, and Ingram is rounds 2, 4, and 4 respectively. The value was just too good to pass up and there were still guys around I liked such as Beckum and Coffman.

I honestly think TE is the position to target this year after the first 15-20 picks are off the board. In my recent 6 round, 12 team draft, I took Cook, Nelson, and Ingram is rounds 2, 4, and 4 respectively. The value was just too good to pass up and there were still guys around I liked such as Beckum and Coffman.

I agree. The first 14 guys are pretty much set. 15-20 you can grab some solid RB prospects that have great opportunities, and after that it is a crapshoot of sorts. You should take the BPA with upside to be productive and TE is a solid position in this years draft of guys that have potential to be productive.

I took Cook at 2.09. Would have waited until 3.02, but he was the highest ranked player on my board and a need position for me.

The TE position has a lot of guys with POTENTIAL but are very limited in their blocking game.

At this point, the most complete WR is Pettigrew; and the one with the most immediate fantasy upside is Shawn Nelson.

The rest of the field consists of largely oversided slot receivers who can't play well with their hand on the ground and can't block very well. Their usefullness is limited unless they are with a team that is willing to modify their offense to accommodate their pass catching skills like the Jets did last year with Keller. Very few teams are willing to use a TE who can't block.

Therefore I am less high on Cook and some of the others than most of you are...

Personally, I'd rank Nelson and then Pettigrew as late rd 2 early rd 3 (Pettigrew iwill likely be gone by then); Cook would be mid to late round 3 and Ingram round 4, Beckum and Casey late round 4 to round 5.