Sign in to follow this  
heavy-set

The OFFICAL NBA Finals Thread

Ever the optimist: Lakers in 5

Games 1,2,4 and 5.

I hope your right but I think it might be 6. Since the series will be 2-3-2, I think L.A. will take the first two at home, take one of the 3 in orlando, and then wrap it up in game 6.

I hope your right but I think it might be 6. Since the series will be 2-3-2, I think L.A. will take the first two at home, take one of the 3 in orlando, and then wrap it up in game 6.

Agreed.

Looks like:

LA, LA, ORL, LA, ORL, LA

Lakers in 6

This is actually tough to call. Officiating has still given advantages to certain teams at certain times...but this being the 1st

year since the Donaghy, they are being careful. Take the Fagers-Tuggets game that was tied after 3. Fakers get 16 free throws,

Tugs get 7 in the 4th, Fakers win by 9. Yet overall free throw totals were 35-30. What I'm saying is, we're just not seeing the

huge disparities which have been the norm in recent years. before Donaghy, that critical game would have been 44FT for the

Fakers and 22 for the Tuggets. So what makes this tough is orlando proved they, like a couple other teams in recent years

(san antone, detroit), can be good enough to overcome the bias against them. So what is the league thinking?

a.they surely wanted kobe vs. lebron

b.they surely want Kobe to win 1 more

c.they surely want Lebron to win 1

d.they didn't get their dream matchup but can still achieve a goal ( b )

e.maybe just maybe they will realize that Howard is very popular and pretty damned good

Orlando in 7

At PG - ad goes to LA - Fisher , Brown , Farmar - aren't all world but are solid - so is Alston but the Lakers have a lot of depth and can keep throwing in fresh bodies.

at SG - ad LA - not really close.

at SF - ad Orl - Ariza is atheltic enough though to slow down Turkolu and late in the game Kobe will be gaurding him.

at PF - ad to LA - Lewis is nice but Odom and Pau are former all stars

at C - ad Orl - not really close

coaching - ad LA - not reall close - 11 NBA finals - 9 titles - greatest coach in the modern era in any sport.

I expect a split in LA - then LA to win 2 of 3 in ORL -- LA closes it out game 6 at home in a blow out.

Key to the finals will be letting Bynum go 1-1 with Howard for as long as he can without fouling out - LA cannot double Howard if they do then ORL has a shot with there shooters. Defneding Hoard is the key for LA - not becasue of Howard scoring 50 points but becasue of Howard drowing doubles and getting shooters open - LA has to commit to 1-1 defending on him an Let Howard get 40 a game.

Key for ORL - is simple - Howard wil get his - can Alston , Pietrus , Lewis, Turk . an Lee remain hot as hell from 3. They do there's a chance ORL wins. However LA unlike Cleveland has a host of solid people around Kobe to score. ORL needs to double Kobe high in the 4th if it's close.

going against LA here - is Jackson's history of leaving 3 point shooters open to double on bigs -- see many Spur series with LA an Orlando is better at the 3 than Spurs were. But in overall talent Howard isn't close to Duncan IMO -- yet..

finals MVP - Kobe

the real MVP will be Ariza as i thnk he will shut down turk.

This is actually tough to call. Officiating has still given advantages to certain teams at certain times...but this being the 1st

year since the Donaghy, they are being careful. Take the Fagers-Tuggets game that was tied after 3. Fakers get 16 free throws,

Tugs get 7 in the 4th, Fakers win by 9. Yet overall free throw totals were 35-30. What I'm saying is, we're just not seeing the

huge disparities which have been the norm in recent years. before Donaghy, that critical game would have been 44FT for the

Fakers and 22 for the Tuggets. So what makes this tough is orlando proved they, like a couple other teams in recent years

(san antone, detroit), can be good enough to overcome the bias against them. So what is the league thinking?

a.they surely wanted kobe vs. lebron

b.they surely want Kobe to win 1 more

c.they surely want Lebron to win 1

d.they didn't get their dream matchup but can still achieve a goal ( b )

e.maybe just maybe they will realize that Howard is very popular and pretty damned good

Orlando in 7

And by they, you mean the guys in some office with tinfoil hats right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding your post.

And by they, you mean the guys in some office with tinfoil hats right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding your post.

by they I mean Stern and his scummy minion 'company men'

At PG - ad goes to LA - Fisher , Brown , Farmar - aren't all world but are solid - so is Alston but the Lakers have a lot of depth and can keep throwing in fresh bodies.

at SG - ad LA - not really close.

at SF - ad Orl - Ariza is atheltic enough though to slow down Turkolu and late in the game Kobe will be gaurding him.

at PF - ad to LA - Lewis is nice but Odom and Pau are former all stars

at C - ad Orl - not really close

coaching - ad LA - not reall close - 11 NBA finals - 9 titles - greatest coach in the modern era in any sport.

I expect a split in LA - then LA to win 2 of 3 in ORL -- LA closes it out game 6 at home in a blow out.

Key to the finals will be letting Bynum go 1-1 with Howard for as long as he can without fouling out - LA cannot double Howard if they do then ORL has a shot with there shooters. Defneding Hoard is the key for LA - not becasue of Howard scoring 50 points but becasue of Howard drowing doubles and getting shooters open - LA has to commit to 1-1 defending on him an Let Howard get 40 a game.

Key for ORL - is simple - Howard wil get his - can Alston , Pietrus , Lewis, Turk . an Lee remain hot as hell from 3. They do there's a chance ORL wins. However LA unlike Cleveland has a host of solid people around Kobe to score. ORL needs to double Kobe high in the 4th if it's close.

going against LA here - is Jackson's history of leaving 3 point shooters open to double on bigs -- see many Spur series with LA an Orlando is better at the 3 than Spurs were. But in overall talent Howard isn't close to Duncan IMO -- yet..

finals MVP - Kobe

the real MVP will be Ariza as i thnk he will shut down turk.

Pretty good analysis. Pau was an all star this year though and I don't believe Odom has ever been one.

by they I mean Stern and his scummy minion 'company men'

Haha, I dunno man. I understand the whole Donaghy argument. Then you got guys like Joe Crawford, Jim Clark, Bob Delaney, etc. etc. They've been officials for 20+ years and always called the game straight. You might not like how tight Joe Crawford officiates, but you know what you're going to get.

Haha, I dunno man. I understand the whole Donaghy argument. Then you got guys like Joe Crawford, Jim Clark, Bob Delaney, etc. etc. They've been officials for 20+ years and always called the game straight. You might not like how tight Joe Crawford officiates, but you know what you're going to get.

Best part is the guy who posted this video, despite Donaghy saying flat out it was fixed....still naively, like you, wants to believe it was on the up and up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Best part is the guy who posted this video, despite Donaghy saying flat out it was fixed....still naively, like you, wants to believe it was on the up and up. :o :lol:

Ok we've already established Donaghy is a POS. Nobody is denying he fixed games. That doesn't mean every single official and game is fixed. You need to stop, take a deep breath and think a little.

Ok we've already established Donaghy is a POS. Nobody is denying he fixed games. That doesn't mean every single official and game is fixed. You need to stop, take a deep breath and think a little.

So why is it in past years it was common to see 20+ free throw disparities in games, primarily going to certain teams but not to others.

yet this year, suddenly it's not happening anymore. Every year we have threads complaining about getting screwed by the refs, or worst

officiated game ever and so on. But not this year. Either you think all of the officials collectively became better in one year despite their getting

worse all previous years. Or they know there is a serious fixing image problem with the league and they can't do that sh|t like they used to.

Or do you have another explanation as to why

Jesus man...fock.

Basketball is pretty much the only major sport in which calls can drastically alter the game...and one of the few in which penalties are not often reviewed until after the game. In addition, it's one of the few games in which players have learned to create foul situations to gain the upper hand. Despite all of this, it's a game in which the team that plays better in clutch situations will always win. Take off your conspiracy glasses and realize that the Cavs are not in the finals. This isn't because the League officials couldn't beat the Magic...it's because the Cavaliers couldn't beat the Magic.

This has been one of the best playoff series' in the history of the game and all you've done is b!tch.

Jesus man...fock.

Basketball is pretty much the only major sport in which calls can drastically alter the game...and one of the few in which penalties are not often reviewed until after the game. In addition, it's one of the few games in which players have learned to create foul situations to gain the upper hand. Despite all of this, it's a game in which the team that plays better in clutch situations will always win. Take off your conspiracy glasses and realize that the Cavs are not in the finals. This isn't because the League officials couldn't beat the Magic...it's because the Cavaliers couldn't beat the Magic.

This has been one of the best playoff series' in the history of the game and all you've done is b!tch.

:unsure:

i predict they talk about lebronie as much as they do howard...

really..was that game winning shot by james 1 of the best ever NOW?...he wasnt even covered.... :thumbsdown:

since kobe doesnt have shaq...and bynum is a waste of a player...

itll be orlando in 5...howard....penny...nick anderson (maybe that kid from marquette..is he still there?) :(

GettnHuge is too dumb to realize that if the NBA had its way, it would be Kobe vs. Lebron.

GettnHuge is too dumb to realize that if the NBA had its way, it would be Kobe vs. Lebron.

the NBA TRIED to make it that way but the king has trouble in crunch time...he is no longer to be referred to as king james since hes never won anything...

unless theyve changed the definition of king...

the NBA TRIED to make it that way but the king has trouble in crunch time...he is no longer to be referred to as king james since hes never won anything...

unless theyve changed the definition of king...

Well, Lebron is surrounded by a bunch of guys who would have trouble starting for the Magic or Lakers. You can't discredit James for teh fact that Cleveland hasn't won any championships. In fact, just for the fact that guys like Ilgauskas, D.West, etc. are STARTERS on a team that made the NBA semi-finals is a testament to how good James is.

I gotta admit...West showed a lot on the court, man. He played damn good. Don't think I'd include him in that "not a starter" category.

That being said, James IS the cavaliers.

Orlando presented a matchup nightmare for Cleveland, but the Lakers have the personnel to offset those advantages.

Walton, Odom, Bryant and Ariza (even Farmar if he can escape Phil's magical, mystical dog house) provide some size on the perimeter that Cleveland didn't have. In fact, Odom and Lewis may be the most interesting head-to-head of the playoffs. Bynum will have to show the willingness to actually man defend Howard a bit, not just roam looking for blocked shots on the help side. Gasol will need to stay out of foul trouble, which should seemingly be easy for a guy that avoids contact like a germaphobe at a pre-school.

At the other end of the floor, Howard can't single-handedly shut down Bynum and Gasol. LA will have to hope that, unlike he's done many times in the past, Gasol won't shut himself down, and will stay aggressive offensively. Cleveland never made Hedo work on the defensive end; the Lakers will. Again, Odom is physically stronger than Lewis; PLUS, his prodigious sweat makes him even more difficult to get a hand on (both literally and figuratively). Fisher must give LA some outside shooting. He's too slow and long in the tooth to play this big a role on a title team, but we've been saying that about Jackson's PG for a couple decades. Bynum's overwhelming desire to shoot every time he touches the ball (as he did early in previous series) will actually serve to keep Howard a bit more honest, keeping HIM from cheating out as well.

Finally, LA's best player (who is and was the best player in the league, bar none, despite the league's interest in making Lebron MVP) can play a couple spots on the floor, on both ends of the floor. Orlando's can play one. That and the Lakers experience will make the difference.

If formatted like every other series, I'd say it's over in 5. But the 2-3-2 format helps the lower seed, so it's the Lakers in 6.

Well, Lebron is surrounded by a bunch of guys who would have trouble starting for the Magic or Lakers. You can't discredit James for teh fact that Cleveland hasn't won any championships. In fact, just for the fact that guys like Ilgauskas, D.West, etc. are STARTERS on a team that made the NBA semi-finals is a testament to how good James is.

no...its different....this is the guy touted as the king..he should make the other guys better...every commercial is about him and hes a first class punk who doesnt shake hands because..as he says..hes a winner..where? i dont know..high school? woopee...with the cap and his salary, hes not going to get the cream of the crop as teammates....but his team isnt bad...

hes never won anything....the excuse that lebron has 4 cast offs is weak as lebron shoots all the time anyway....as if he'd win if he was on a better team...so howards team is much better? well..right..it IS..because of howard...howard wouldve beaten lebron had the 2 switched teams...

ive said it everywhere and will again...hes the most overrated hoops guy in nba history...and a classless punk...im so happy for this...now he can go and have kid n plays sloppy seconds...

wade>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lebronie....

no...its different....this is the guy touted as the king..he should make the other guys better...every commercial is about him and hes a first class punk who doesnt shake hands because..as he says..hes a winner..where? i dont know..high school? woopee...with the cap and his salary, hes not going to get the cream of the crop as teammates....but his team isnt bad...

hes never won anything....the excuse that lebron has 4 cast offs is weak as lebron shoots all the time anyway....as if he'd win if he was on a better team...so howards team is much better? well..right..it IS..because of howard...howard wouldve beaten lebron had the 2 switched teams...

ive said it everywhere and will again...hes the most overrated hoops guy in nba history...and a classless punk...im so happy for this...now he can go and have kid n plays sloppy seconds...

wait wait wait wait. Did you just tell me LeBron on the Magic would lose to Howard on the Cavs? Are you motherfucking high? LeBron surrounded by shooters like that wins 70+ games and a title. LeBron EASILY had the worst supporting cast of any of the final 4 teams. He averaged 40 8 and 8 and yet it's HIS fault they lost? Nevermind that Z and Andy couldn't begin to stop Howard, thus leaving Hedo, Pietrus, Lewis, Alston, etc wide ass open.

Seriously, you hate LeBron and Tiger. At what point do you realize you're just a hater dude?

Seriously, you hate LeBron and Tiger. At what point do you realize you're just a hater dude?

and youre just an apologist...lebron is not in supermans league....40 points..35..45..who cares? all he does is shoot and he gets calls..he should get 40...maybe if he was more a complete player like howard, his other teammates WOULD be more open...

lebron isnt on tv anymore...when are people going to start making him accountable?...he would win 70+ with the magic..sure..but in the playoffs? out..like every other year...

even tomy romo thinks hes a choker....carlos zambrano thinks hes a choke.....

i may not like tiger the person..but ive always said he was great...ive just said that the guys of 2009 are no match for the guys of the 70s....but thats a different topic....

im no fan of people bragging up a guy all year..like NE does with brady...and if NE wins it all..its all brady but if they dont, the fans trash every other player they have....and when lebron does hia annual falter, people make excuses...

if lebron is truly king lebron..they are moving on....

Odom is physically stronger than Lewis; PLUS, his prodigious sweat makes him even more difficult to get a hand on (both literally and figuratively).

:thumbsup: :unsure:

JT is the best poster when it comes to basketball in the history of the forearm. Fock Tarhole.

:thumbsup:

Wow dude.. You might just might be the least-knowledgable guy I've ever met regarding basketball.

I don't even know where to start with this misinformed, ridiculous post.

Ok, I'll try.....

He 'shoots all teh time' because the next best option is Mo Williams. Or Wally Szerbiak. Or whoever else is on that pathetric team.

Punk? I've never heard him say a bad thing about anyone. Or break the law. Seems like a good dude to me.

Overrated? Perhaps. He's certainly getting over-exposed. However, he's a young man and he's already shown flashes that he may be as good or better than Jordan.

HTH

Page 3 @ half time? wtf...

Lakers playing well. I got scared when Nelson came in and things started getting crazy, but it looks like Phil's learned how to contain him.

Its gettin ugly :wub: Kobes en FUEGO!!!

If I hear "Momma there goes that man" one more time B) Theses guys are such focking tools

If I hear "Momma there goes that man" one more time

Haha I love it man...make me chuckle everytime.

I wish I could watch a game commentated by this guy:

Its gettin ugly :rolleyes: Kobes en FUEGO!!!

If I hear "Momma there goes that man" one more time :mad: Theses guys are such focking tools

I actually like that line, and this team of commentators in general.

I actually like that line, and this team of commentators in general.

Now that I think about it, the reason I hate it is because I picture a young black girl saying it to her mother with no baby daddy in sight, ill have to re-envision my borderline racist POV on that one.