Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Any Scifi/Fatnasty readers out there?

What the fock is up with all the female authors taking over the genre? :unsure:

Seriously... go on Amazon Hot New Scifi/Fantastey Releases most of the damned list is chick authors.

Now ok... so I've read literally hundreds of scifi/fantasy books over the years, both male and female authors. I just find woman authors to not have a good grasp on the violence scenes in books. They seem to schmarm down all the good sh!t in a decent scifi/fantasy book. IE face melting lasers/magic, dirty whoore princesses/aliens... decent headsplitting.... I dunno.

It seems as though this genre is getting focking swamped and taken over by buffy the motherfocking vampire teenage chick werewolf witchhunter books.

GET OF MY LAWN!!! :unsure:

I know a dude here who is currently working on a scifi/horror book called 'The Pool'

I hear you, while there have been a few female authors I've enjoyed, generally, the male authors seem to do a better job in this arena...

I'll throw a plug in here...

I just had my 2nd book published - epic fantasy -

www.theendofheroes.com

I'd like to think my violence scenes are more to your liking. I'm not a best-seller (yet! :mad: , but I'm in some Borders stores, and you can find The End of Heroes, and The Stone of Zoral on amazon, B+N, Target, etc.

What the fock is up with all the female authors taking over the genre? :P

Seriously... go on Amazon Hot New Scifi/Fantastey Releases most of the damned list is chick authors.

Now ok... so I've read literally hundreds of scifi/fantasy books over the years, both male and female authors. I just find woman authors to not have a good grasp on the violence scenes in books. They seem to schmarm down all the good sh!t in a decent scifi/fantasy book. IE face melting lasers/magic, dirty whoore princesses/aliens... decent headsplitting.... I dunno.

It seems as though this genre is getting focking swamped and taken over by buffy the motherfocking vampire teenage chick werewolf witchhunter books.

GET OF MY LAWN!!! :doublethumbsup:

As a fan of some of the vampire books...I will agree with you on some extent. I don't like scifi and I don't care for most fantasy. Princesses and aliens aren't that great either...so it seems that I would fall under the motherfocking vampire teenage chick werewolf witchhunter books.

Charlaine Harris is awesome. Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood is a great series, and is HILARIOUS. Sex scenes and violent scenes are great.

Stephenie Meyer appeases most teenaged crowds, that's for sure. I liked her first two books, the third and especially the fourth were horrid. Sex scene's pretty much skipped over, as this is directed towards teens, however you know they "did it." She gets pretty violent and bloody, especially in the fourth book.

One of my favorite vampire/werewolf books is The Cycle of The Werewolf by Stephen King, the version I have is older and the art work is amazing. He always seemed to have the correct mix of violence and sex, without going extremely over board. I wish that he would have a good vampire book (maybe he does and it's escaping me right now).

Anne Rice, meh. Never cared for ANYTHING that she's written. Although, her erotic series, "The Sleeping Beauty" Trilogy is good. Kinky, but good.

If you ask me, in the vampire and werewolf books, men go TOO overboard with the violence, and sometimes the sex as well.

As a fan of some of the vampire books...I will agree with you on some extent. I don't like scifi and I don't care for most fantasy. Princesses and aliens aren't that great either...so it seems that I would fall under the motherfocking vampire teenage chick werewolf witchhunter books.

One of my favorite vampire/werewolf books is The Cycle of The Werewolf by Stephen King, the version I have is older and the art work is amazing. He always seemed to have the correct mix of violence and sex, without going extremely over board. I wish that he would have a good vampire book (maybe he does and it's escaping me right now).

If you ask me, in the vampire and werewolf books, men go TOO overboard with the violence, and sometimes the sex as well.

I dig a pile of authors. Some of them I haven't read in quite awhile so I don't know if I'd still be quite as gungho about thier style but here's some of my favorites not in any particular order:

Military Scifi -

John Ringo being probably king for me in that bracket... though his ghost series goes way in focking left field with the S&M stuff.... waaaaayyyy focking overboard.

Orson Scott Card... Ender books of course.

Jon Scieszka - Old Man's War was very good... but the following books couldn't quite get there.

Joe Haldeman - Forever War... though I didn't like the sequels.

Robert Heinlein - Starship Troopers qne obviously many others

John Steakley - Armor book

Keith Laumer - Bolo tank series... I think there are other authors doing those books as well though.

Jack Campbell - Lost Fleet series.... really more space navy but very good stuff

Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat....

L. Ron Hubbard - Before he was a god he actually had some decent Scifi books... Battlefield Earth and the Mission Earth Decadon

Simon R. Green - Deathstalker space opera stuff

Fantasy -

Lian Hearn - Otori series

Steven Erikson - Malazan series... a bit confusing when I was a younger reader... might need a re-read

Scott Lynch - Gentleman Bastards Series starting with the Lies of Locke Lamora... excellent read

Christopher Paolini - Eragon books

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind book.... one of the best new authors for me in awhile... can't wait for the sequels

Glen Cook - Garrett PI series

George R.R. Martin - The Game of Thrones stuff... but frick... get on with it already for focks sake.

Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Raymond Feist.... Jordan pissed me off along with everyone else with his extended series Wheel series for focking ever... till he died... and Eddings and Feists stuff is really good if not of course the predictable stereotypes.... village boy becomes wizard king.

Anyway there are a few of my favorites... I'm sure I'm missing some more but that's what jumps to mind as good stuff in my book that I can remember.

I'll throw a plug in here...

I just had my 2nd book published - epic fantasy -

www.theendofheroes.com

I'd like to think my violence scenes are more to your liking. I'm not a best-seller (yet! :dunno: , but I'm in some Borders stores, and you can find The End of Heroes, and The Stone of Zoral on amazon, B+N, Target, etc.

Thanks Kev... I'll give them a read bro. You want a geek review after I'm done?

I dig a pile of authors. Some of them I haven't read in quite awhile so I don't know if I'd still be quite as gungho about thier style but here's some of my favorites not in any particular order:

Military Scifi -

John Ringo being probably king for me in that bracket... though his ghost series goes way in focking left field with the S&M stuff.... waaaaayyyy focking overboard.

Orson Scott Card... Ender books of course.

Jon Scieszka - Old Man's War was very good... but the following books couldn't quite get there.

Joe Haldeman - Forever War... though I didn't like the sequels.

Robert Heinlein - Starship Troopers qne obviously many others

John Steakley - Armor book

Keith Laumer - Bolo tank series... I think there are other authors doing those books as well though.

Jack Campbell - Lost Fleet series.... really more space navy but very good stuff

Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat....

L. Ron Hubbard - Before he was a god he actually had some decent Scifi books... Battlefield Earth and the Mission Earth Decadon

Simon R. Green - Deathstalker space opera stuff

Fantasy -

Lian Hearn - Otori series

Steven Erikson - Malazan series... a bit confusing when I was a younger reader... might need a re-read

Scott Lynch - Gentleman Bastards Series starting with the Lies of Locke Lamora... excellent read

Christopher Paolini - Eragon books

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind book.... one of the best new authors for me in awhile... can't wait for the sequels

Glen Cook - Garrett PI series

George R.R. Martin - The Game of Thrones stuff... but frick... get on with it already for focks sake.

Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Raymond Feist.... Jordan pissed me off along with everyone else with his extended series Wheel series for focking ever... till he died... and Eddings and Feists stuff is really good if not of course the predictable stereotypes.... village boy becomes wizard king.

Anyway there are a few of my favorites... I'm sure I'm missing some more but that's what jumps to mind as good stuff in my book that I can remember.

I'll have to check out some of those authors, as I'm always looking for new series to try out.

Have you ever read any Stephen R. Donaldson? I find myself re-reading the Thomas Covenant books every couple of years.

I've also enjoyed reading Jim Butcher -- Dresden Files and Codex Alera series.

I've also enjoyed reading Jim Butcher -- Dresden Files and Codex Alera series.

Ironically I just got the 5 Codex books today and I'm going to start reading them. :thumbsup:

You know I've tried several times over the last 10 years to get into that Thomas Covenant series... it just won't grab me. I can't seem to get into it enough to want to continue after the 1st few chapters.

Ironically I just got the 5 Codex books today and I'm going to start reading them. :thumbsup:

You know I've tried several times over the last 10 years to get into that Thomas Covenant series... it just won't grab me. I can't seem to get into it enough to want to continue after the 1st few chapters.

I can understand having trouble getting into Thomas Covenant. Definitely not your typical protagonist, as I can't think of any other main characters who have leprosy. :)

Thanks for the tip on Patrick Rothfuss. I just put a hold on his book at the library. Kinda sucks getting into a series and having to wait for the next book to come out, though. (e.g. George R.R. Martin)

I can understand having trouble getting into Thomas Covenant. Definitely not your typical protagonist, as I can't think of any other main characters who have leprosy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip on Patrick Rothfuss. I just put a hold on his book at the library. Kinda sucks getting into a series and having to wait for the next book to come out, though. (e.g. George R.R. Martin)

I'd be interested it hear what you think of the Rothfuss book. I was very impressed with his style. He's been pretty heralded as "The New Guy" with that book.

I do know exactly what your talking about getting into the unfinished series..... the G RR Martin series... and holy frickin moly... the Wheel of Time with Robert Jordan...he drug it on so long he died before it was finished. Sooooooo many pissed people out there.

Back to your original question...

The only female fantasy author I've read is Robin Hobb. Her Farseer/Liveship Traders/Tawny Man books are a long read, but I enjoyed them quite a bit. Gets a bit depressing here and there, though.

Back to your original question...

The only female fantasy author I've read is Robin Hobb. Her Farseer/Liveship Traders/Tawny Man books are a long read, but I enjoyed them quite a bit. Gets a bit depressing here and there, though.

Yeah I read all of those... all that really sticks out in my memory is what a freakin whiner the main character was.... it seemed no chapter could be complete without the kid pouting "Why me?!"

Also... the whole thing about the tawny man being a man/woman.... and how androgynous she made that character smacked of some sort of gay rights agenda political view she was pushing.

Hey do whatever you chose but please don't integrate your political agenda in my read.

The "Why does it matter if I'm a man or a woman, can't you just love me?" question that's thrown in that series was pure pandering IMHO.

Yeah I read all of those... all that really sticks out in my memory is what a freakin whiner the main character was.... it seemed no chapter could be complete without the kid pouting "Why me?!"

Also... the whole thing about the tawny man being a man/woman.... and how androgynous she made that character smacked of some sort of gay rights agenda political view she was pushing.

Hey do whatever you chose but please don't integrate your political agenda in my read.

The "Why does it matter if I'm a man or a woman, can't you just love me?" question that's thrown in that series was pure pandering IMHO.

Lol. Yeah, there was a bit of that, wasn't there?

Lol. Yeah, there was a bit of that, wasn't there?

Ridiculous... it got to where it was just a distraction rather than some sort of plot intrigue or character depth. That's why although that series is very popular... it stayed off my list of favorite authors.

As far as light-hearted non-political series go, however, I just started reading the Piers Anthony Xanth series. I know I read the first book as a kid, but I can't remember how many of the others I ended up reading.

Gotta love the library!

As far as light-hearted non-political series go, however, I just started reading the Piers Anthony Xanth series. I know I read the first book as a kid, but I can't remember how many of the others I ended up reading.

Gotta love the library!

A Spell for Chameleon was the 1st fantasy book I ever read. I think I was in the sixth grade! That's awesome.... I've often thought about going back to see how it aged. Good luck with that series.... I think I got to like book 13 maybe?

that Harry Potter biotch ruined it all.

My 10 year old is reading the "Dark is Rising" from Susan Cooper.

I dont read SciFi - was into the Star Wars books in the 80's - if that counts

<_<

I can understand having trouble getting into Thomas Covenant. Definitely not your typical protagonist, as I can't think of any other main characters who have leprosy. :)

When I was young and had read/enjoyed LotR, my dad (who knew nothing of the genre) randomly bought me the first book of this series. I don't know how much it influenced me that my dad bought it, or I was just getting into that stuff, but it remains possibly my favorite of all time (pending Martin; finish the $#@! series already!)

Back on subject, I haven't read much female authors. A few Anne Rice which I enjoyed, but it got annoying to read 3 pages describing the smell of a flower. Never read LeGuin. Always wanted to read Mists of Avalon. Gave up on Harry Potter after the 3rd book.

Back on subject, I haven't read much female authors. A few Anne Rice which I enjoyed, but it got annoying to read 3 pages describing the smell of a flower. Never read LeGuin. Always wanted to read Mists of Avalon. Gave up on Harry Potter after the 3rd book.

You know I remember that I read Le Guin's Earthsea books.... and I think I enjoyed them. I was in junior high maybe... I can't recall much about them at all now other than I think it was the proverbial village boy turned wizard king type of thing that Eddings and Feist are into though her's was much earlier.

I'm reading the Wiki rundown now.... I vaguely remember the main character.

This was of course old school fantasy before the buffy crap.

I got into the newer Star Wars books telling of Luke re-establishing the Jedi Order... getting married to another Jedi chick... having a son. Han and Leia's Jedi kids... lots and lots of books after Return of the Jedi...

Read quite a few of them and then just sort of lost interest.

Gotta love the library!

If you like the Xanth books, try his "Blue Adept" series (written and published back in the early 80's I think). A bit of sci-fi mixed in with fantasy. Very good series.

The Xanth books became a bit too juvenile as they went along. I read the first 6-8 or so, then lost interest.

Terry Brooks is another favorite fantasy author that I still am reading. The "Shannarra" (sp?) series (first three books especially) is close to the top of my all time fav. list.

If you like the Xanth books, try his "Blue Adept" series (written and published back in the early 80's I think). A bit of sci-fi mixed in with fantasy. Very good series.

The Xanth books became a bit too juvenile as they went along. I read the first 6-8 or so, then lost interest.

Terry Brooks is another favorite fantasy author that I still am reading. The "Shannarra" (sp?) series (first three books especially) is close to the top of my all time fav. list.

Blue Adept is in my top 5 series; again when I was young and entering the genre. I tried Xanth and never got into it. So basically I agree with you.

Brooks is another I never got into.

Since we are abandoning the chick authors, the Fionovar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel-Kay is also in my top 5 series. Actually I've really enjoyed all of his books.

As I recall, Salem's Lot is basically a vampire book by King, although not a "traditional" vampire-type book. I thought it was excellent. :unsure:

Thanks for the heads up about Anthony's "Blue Adept" series. I'll put those on the list of books to check out.

I've read the Sword of Shannara series. I enjoyed the books, but when I read the first book again when I was older I couldn't help but notice some of the similarities with LOTR that I didn't realize as a kid. That kinda diminished the enjoyment slightly, but still worth a read.

As I recall, Salem's Lot is basically a vampire book by King, although not a "traditional" vampire-type book. I thought it was excellent. :unsure:

I love Salem's Lot. I end up re-reading that every few years. "The Stand" is another King book I re-read every now and then -- always makes me think of "Among the Living" by Anthrax :dunno:

I love Salem's Lot. I end up re-reading that every few years. "The Stand" is another King book I re-read every now and then -- always makes me think of "Among the Living" by Anthrax :)

The Stand is a greta book. I have a bunch of King's books. I read The Gunslinger series every couple of years, although I'm not a huge fan of the way he ended it. It was totally unexpected, but I guess I was rooting for Roland too much. :)

The one thing I like about his books, though, is the way he always has a brief showing of a couple of characters from other novels. :thumbsup:

back to the females and one I haven't heard mention yet ... I enjoyed Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody series.

Thanks Kev... I'll give them a read bro. You want a geek review after I'm done?

Absolutely. Incidentally, I started writing in part due to Jordan and Martin's never-ending series. I wanted to read something that was 3 books and done, and couldn't find one I hadn't read already, so I started writing.

BTW - check out Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman if you haven't already - the Dragonlance Chronicles are some of my favorites, and they also did a 7 part series that was fantastic - the name escapes me, but book 5 was called Into the Labyrinth, I believe. Hopefully that's enough info the find it.

I just finished the new Guillermo Del Toro / Chuck Hogan vampire book called The Strain. Very, very good read. It's set up to be a trilogy. Lots of action and blood starting on page 1 and it never lets up. I'd definitely recommend that one. The main character is a hotshot from the CDC and the vampirism outbreak is treated more like a vicious viral outbreak than dramatic dudes running around in capes, seducing women.

Also, Patient Zero by Jonathon Maberry is an excellent zombie read. Maberry writes it from a spec ops military perspective and terrorists are responsible for the zombie outbreak. Massive action/gore fest ensues.

You mentioned Glen Cook for the PI Garrett series by I much prefer the Black Company fantasy series from him. The first 6 books have been re-released into 2 large paperbacks. I'm still waiting for the last 3 books of the series to be re-released. It's kind of Tolkein-esque with a evil overlord trying to free himself and conquer the land but that's where the similarity ends. There's still magic and wizardry (similar to Jordan) but I'd classify the books as military fantasy novels as the main characters are part of a mercenary band of warriors.

Also, Patient Zero by Jonathon Maberry is an excellent zombie read. Maberry writes it from a spec ops military perspective and terrorists are responsible for the zombie outbreak. Massive action/gore fest ensues.

Sounds like my kind of book! Are there any other zombie books that you'd recommend?

I'd be interested it hear what you think of the Rothfuss book. I was very impressed with his style. He's been pretty heralded as "The New Guy" with that book.

Just finished Name of the Wind. Great book! I completely agree with you regarding his style. Thanks again for the heads up.

For Alternate History check out Harry Turtledove's "World War" series. Absolutely brilliant. I was reading them 10 years ago and frothing at the mouth waiting for the next book to come out every 2-3 years for a while there.

He also does other stuff as well such as a 'What if the South won the Civil War?' series.

I cannot recommend this guy highly enough.

Military Scifi -

Based on your comments here, I picked up the Legacy of Aldenata series and have already read A Hymn Before Battle. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Currently 2/3 of the way through Gust Front. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the recommendation.

BTW, if you like mil scifi, check out John Scalzi's Old Man's War series for some light summer reading.

For Alternate History check out Harry Turtledove's "World War" series. Absolutely brilliant. I was reading them 10 years ago and frothing at the mouth waiting for the next book to come out every 2-3 years for a while there.

He also does other stuff as well such as a 'What if the South won the Civil War?' series.

I cannot recommend this guy highly enough.

Another vote for Turtledove, especially the Worldwar & Colonization Series. :doublethumbsup: