Sign in to follow this  
#1LionFan

What is the best FF magazine?

I know the magazines are outdated by the time you read them but I still like to read articles and such while sitting on the can!

Which are the best magazines in your opinion? Roto, ESPN, Athlon, CBS, etc.... I like Athlon's because they allow you to see updated ranking online if you buy their mag. Any thoughts?

FFindex in my opinion

http://www.fantasyindex.com/

Agreed. I also like the fact that they're not afraid to take risks when projecting their rankings, like when they had (gulp!) Tatum Bell as a Top 5 RB three years ago. They still get grief for that one.

Nonetheless, they're chock full of situtational statistics, offensive line rankings, and sleeper picks.

Thank you, honestly I have never checked that one out but I will this year.

FI is well written.

I also like Pro Forecast.

My favorite football magazine - if I really have a favorite) is now available to subscribers on-line (as well as on newsstands later this summer).

But my recent advice to Matt's Eagles sums up my feelings about all of them: read everything you can from this site, from Rotoworld, FBGs and everywhere else - at least 10 other sites - where you can find fantasy football information ......except fantasy football mags which are out of date as soon as they are printed, and they are all far from the way, the truth, and the light of Fantasy Football.

Five years ago, I averaged about 4 mags a year. Last year I bought 1 (The one with all the NFL cheerleaders in swimsuits). This year I'm going cold turkey.

My favorite football magazine - if I really have a favorite) is now available to subscribers on-line (as well as on newsstands later this summer).

But my recent advice to Matt's Eagles sums up my feelings about all of them: read everything you can from this site, from Rotoworld, FBGs and everywhere else - at least 10 other sites - where you can find fantasy football information ......except fantasy football mags which are out of date as soon as they are printed, and they are all far from the way, the truth, and the light of Fantasy Football.

Five years ago, I averaged about 4 mags a year. Last year I bought 1 (The one with all the NFL cheerleaders in swimsuits). This year I'm going cold turkey.

I understand that they are outdated - rankings anyway - but I like to read articles and such.

b]except fantasy football mags which are out of date as soon as they are printed[/b],

Outdated? I mean aside from training camp injury what is so gonna dramatically change that the mags are outdated? :headbanger:

So when you buy a fantasy magazine that has every stat from 2008 you can imagine, upcoming schedules, etc....it's out of date?

People are not buying these magazines for up to the minute rankings and analysis.

Outdated? I mean aside from training camp injury what is so gonna dramatically change that the mags are outdated? :doublethumbsup:

Well, I always see these fools show up to a live draft crossing out players in the cheatsheets that are in the magazines from June. More than just training camp injuries, a lot changes. Depth charts, players falling in and out of favor, etc. This is why Athlon's is pretty cool how they allow you access to update rankings up until September. But artiles and stats, etc should be the main reason-if not only reason- to get the mags.

So what is the magazine called that you mentioned as your favorite?

Well, I always see these fools show up to a live draft crossing out players in the cheatsheets that are in the magazines from June. More than just training camp injuries, a lot changes. Depth charts, players falling in and out of favor, etc.

Seriously, give me an example. I mean who fell out of favor from magaizine release dates in June last year till actual draft dates in Aug/Sep that it totally made a magazine outdated? Not trying to bust chops here, I just don't see it. I'm not saying that the mags are the best source for putting together a draft strategy but they aren't totaly horrible either.

For me its Fanball and the ESPN Magazine. And ofcourse Fantasy Index.

I like ESPN too. I know most people hate it, but I actually like their analysis.

I really like Fantasy Sports as it has auction values of $200 and roster spots very similar to what our league has.

FBG's mag is free online this year.

Do you have a link? I could only find a half-ass looking blog and some handicapping sites. Thanks man.

I was wrong. I thought it was subscriber only content. Now I can tell you that it is my favorite FF mag. I've already read the whole thing and have it bookmarked on my favorites (along with about 50 other fantasy sites)

By the way, I've noticed that FBG puts a lot of subscriber-only content out on their free forum (the Shark Pool) early, and then locks it out closer to the start of the season. They like to give free samples of their subscriber content in the Shark Pool.

I know there is a strong loyalty here with Mike at FFtoday. That's great, but the toughest competitors in your league read Fantasy info from more than one source. You will find lots of good stuff over there for free in the pool. I believe that the state of the art 'rate-my-team' software program might still be free. If you go back a few pages in the forum you can find the link. BTW their subscription price of under $30 includes an amazing amount of expert content for about the price of 3 fantasy mags.

I'm sure Gepetto will attest that that the rate-my-team software is Super. You will have to provide your email to use it however.

Seriously, give me an example. I mean who fell out of favor from magaizine release dates in June last year till actual draft dates in Aug/Sep that it totally made a magazine outdated? Not trying to bust chops here, I just don't see it. I'm not saying that the mags are the best source for putting together a draft strategy but they aren't totaly horrible either.

matt leinart :music_guitarred:

Outdated? I mean aside from training camp injury what is so gonna dramatically change that the mags are outdated? :music_guitarred:

No offense man, but this is one of the dumbest thing you've posted to date. Fantasy mags released on the newsstand in June and July are actually written, for the most part in MAY. It takes that long to finalize, edit, print and distribute.

Even during this slow time, every day there is stuff coming out of OTAs and minicamps (other than injuries) that impact player values. I read KFFL news and Rotoworld every day.

It is nice to know that McDaniel just officially named Orton the starter after declaring the competition with Simms to be "wide open". It is important to know that Camarillo is ahead of schedule and very likely to be starting opposite of Ginn on opening day. You won't get Marshall's probably hold-out out of any magazine, nor will it - if it extends into training camp - will it be reflected in the expert rankings in thes mags. The impact of any other contract disputes will not be reflected in the rankings either. And it is good to know that MacFadden was taking reps out of the slot in the minicamp and will likely be pf much more value in PPR leagues this year. Based on that info alone, if he is still there in round 3 in PPR leagues, I'd target him. Guys who bet on Cottam need to know he's far from a lock to be the starting TE in KC. It is nice to know that Plaxico's chances of playing much of a role (if any) have diminished significantly. Good to know that Malcolm Kelly's knee has given him no problems and no pain and he's been running good in OTAs. And that's just in the last few days.

When training camp heats up, and camp battles begin, your fantasy mags will be of NO help deciding between targeting Stuckey or Clowney late in your draft to start opposite Cotchery (or between Mike Walter, Mike Thomas or Jarrett Dillard as a late draft target) .

In prior years, I drafted a rookie named Greg Jennings as my 3rd last pick in my deep keeper league based entirely on camp reports. When I got to my draft, the guys with the football mags looked up and said "who?". I ALMOST drafted Colston his rookie year in my re-draft league but instead I DID pick him up as a free agent hours before the season started (after I called the football sports writer at the New Orleans Picayune who said he'd be willing to bet me $5 that Colston would start ahead of Devery Henderson tommorrow (the 1st game of the season for the Saints). BTW, this year I called and talked to coach Chris Thomsen of Abilene Christion for about 20 minutes discussing Bernard Scott and Johnnie Knox. You probably won't see much discussion about either of them in fantasy mags, but guys like these are worth following in training camp.

I'm not saying that magazines have NO value. What I AM saying is that by the time you read them the key information is well out of date. Anyone who relies on them to any degree as a basis for establishing your draft targets, will not be competitive in very strong leagues. Even the magazines with auction valuse for auction leagues are not too really meaningful, because they don't take into accout what the guys in YOUR auction league are gonna do.

FYI the mag with the cheerleaders is GREAT!

The best magazine by far is...

Printout the FFtoday rankings, the off-season articles and some of the more poignant discussions that take place on this board.

Fold them in half, staple them and that is your best ff Magazine.

And its FREE. Except for the cost of some paper and a few staples

havent bought a mag in 12 years or so

make your own rankings

Amen. I would only add: learn how to do player projections, and then compare yours woth other's that you respect. And study mock drafts to see who is going too high or too low based on your projections.

Perhaps the biggest mistake "rookie" owners can make is reading fantasy magazines and believing them.

I was wrong. I thought it was subscriber only content. Now I can tell you that it is my favorite FF mag. I've already read the whole thing and have it bookmarked on my favorites (along with about 50 other fantasy sites)

By the way, I've noticed that FBG puts a lot of subscriber-only content out on their free forum (the Shark Pool) early, and then locks it out closer to the start of the season. They like to give free samples of their subscriber content in the Shark Pool.

I know there is a strong loyalty here with Mike at FFtoday. That's great, but the toughest competitors in your league read Fantasy info from more than one source. You will find lots of good stuff over there for free in the pool. I believe that the state of the art 'rate-my-team' software program might still be free. If you go back a few pages in the forum you can find the link. BTW their subscription price of under $30 includes an amazing amount of expert content for about the price of 3 fantasy mags.

I'm sure Gepetto will attest that that the rate-my-team software is Super. You will have to provide your email to use it however.

They put it out there free this year due to the economy, as a gift to their readers. Makes you respect this place for always doing that! FBG's and FFT are two of the best. They just accomplish it differently!

Lienart, when warner took over out of no where (as a previous poster pointed out); Leftwich in 2006, Alex Smith, Clemens, Rudi, Maroney and Lendale to an extent, Henry, Chad Johnson to name a few

Fantasy Sports and FantasyGuru

Cheatsheet Compiler/Draft Buddy is a great tool when preparing for drafts.

Print it out and staple your cheatsheets and call that a magazine.

The correct answer was... Fanball magazine. Thanks for playing.

I ignore rankings, sleepers/busts, and "how to" draft advise and use magazines strictly for entertainment purposes. I just recently picked up the new ESPN mag (Fitzgerald cover) and a lot of what they say make sense, which made me think. How accurate can they be? So I went and found my old ESPN fantasy magazines from 2007 and 2008. For every one accurate prediction there are 2-3 misses.

Fantasy football is a crap shoot, that's why I get Fanball because it is at least entertaining.

:phillybear: The only good hooker ffmagazine is a dead hooker ffmagazine :phillybear:

:thumbsdown:

No offense man, but this is one of the dumbest thing you've posted to date. Fantasy mags released on the newsstand in June and July are actually written, for the most part in MAY. It takes that long to finalize, edit, print and distribute.

Even during this slow time, every day there is stuff coming out of OTAs and minicamps (other than injuries) that impact player values. I read KFFL news and Rotoworld every day.

It is nice to know that McDaniel just officially named Orton the starter after declaring the competition with Simms to be "wide open". It is important to know that Camarillo is ahead of schedule and very likely to be starting opposite of Ginn on opening day. You won't get Marshall's probably hold-out out of any magazine, nor will it - if it extends into training camp - will it be reflected in the expert rankings in thes mags. The impact of any other contract disputes will not be reflected in the rankings either. And it is good to know that MacFadden was taking reps out of the slot in the minicamp and will likely be pf much more value in PPR leagues this year. Based on that info alone, if he is still there in round 3 in PPR leagues, I'd target him. Guys who bet on Cottam need to know he's far from a lock to be the starting TE in KC. It is nice to know that Plaxico's chances of playing much of a role (if any) have diminished significantly. Good to know that Malcolm Kelly's knee has given him no problems and no pain and he's been running good in OTAs. And that's just in the last few days.

When training camp heats up, and camp battles begin, your fantasy mags will be of NO help deciding between targeting Stuckey or Clowney late in your draft to start opposite Cotchery (or between Mike Walter, Mike Thomas or Jarrett Dillard as a late draft target) .

In prior years, I drafted a rookie named Greg Jennings as my 3rd last pick in my deep keeper league based entirely on camp reports. When I got to my draft, the guys with the football mags looked up and said "who?". I ALMOST drafted Colston his rookie year in my re-draft league but instead I DID pick him up as a free agent hours before the season started (after I called the football sports writer at the New Orleans Picayune who said he'd be willing to bet me $5 that Colston would start ahead of Devery Henderson tommorrow (the 1st game of the season for the Saints). BTW, this year I called and talked to coach Chris Thomsen of Abilene Christion for about 20 minutes discussing Bernard Scott and Johnnie Knox. You probably won't see much discussion about either of them in fantasy mags, but guys like these are worth following in training camp.

I'm not saying that magazines have NO value. What I AM saying is that by the time you read them the key information is well out of date. Anyone who relies on them to any degree as a basis for establishing your draft targets, will not be competitive in very strong leagues. Even the magazines with auction valuse for auction leagues are not too really meaningful, because they don't take into accout what the guys in YOUR auction league are gonna do.

FYI the mag with the cheerleaders is GREAT!

Let's look at the players you cited:

Kyle Orton, Greg Camarillo, Brandon Marshall, Darren McFadden, Brad Cottam, Plax, Stuckey/Clowney, Mike Walter, Mike Thomas, and Jarret Dillard.

I'm looking at one magaizine right now. Kyle Oron is QB 16 being targeted as a player on the rise for this upcoming year. Even being named starter right now, i don;t see him moving drmatically up the charts to anything moe than a QB 2 for any owner even if he has a great preseason. Greg Camarillo is WR 61 witht th caption that Dolphins want him to return as their starter. So even if he is the starter what does he move up, say 10 spots to WR 51? Brandon Marshall is WR 13 bit even with a hold out some one will still take him early because the dude had over 100 targets and 100 catches in 2008.

I mean seriously, this magazine will hardly be outdated come August. My point was that there will be no dramatic player movement (hence I used the word dramatic) between now and the end of training camps/draft times. Even if starting are you taking Camarillo before the 5th round? Like I said, the unless there is major injury news the mags are hardly outdated, your examples actually proved my point.

I like FFIndex.

The info will be outdated as it pertains to depth charts, injuries, etc, but it's entertaining and the projections probably won't change much.

Plus you can't bring a website onto the sh1tter.

The correct answer was... Fanball magazine. Thanks for playing.

I ignore rankings, sleepers/busts, and "how to" draft advise and use magazines strictly for entertainment purposes. I just recently picked up the new ESPN mag (Fitzgerald cover) and a lot of what they say make sense, which made me think. How accurate can they be? So I went and found my old ESPN fantasy magazines from 2007 and 2008. For every one accurate prediction there are 2-3 misses.

Fantasy football is a crap shoot, that's why I get Fanball because it is at least entertaining.

Usually around the 4th of july, I grab a fanball, fantasy football weekly. It's the only one I buy. I probably do it more for tradition than for anything else. But as long as you don't compare it to the internet (which is where most people seem to have the problem with).

It's pretty insightful, quit entertaining, and makes for a good sh!tcan mag.

Let's look at the players you cited:

Kyle Orton, Greg Camarillo, Brandon Marshall, Darren McFadden, Brad Cottam, Plax, Stuckey/Clowney, Mike Walter, Mike Thomas, and Jarret Dillard.

I'm looking at one magaizine right now. Kyle Oron is QB 16 being targeted as a player on the rise for this upcoming year. Even being named starter right now, i don;t see him moving drmatically up the charts to anything moe than a QB 2 for any owner even if he has a great preseason. Greg Camarillo is WR 61 witht th caption that Dolphins want him to return as their starter. So even if he is the starter what does he move up, say 10 spots to WR 51? Brandon Marshall is WR 13 bit even with a hold out some one will still take him early because the dude had over 100 targets and 100 catches in 2008.

I mean seriously, this magazine will hardly be outdated come August. My point was that there will be no dramatic player movement (hence I used the word dramatic) between now and the end of training camps/draft times. Even if starting are you taking Camarillo before the 5th round? Like I said, the unless there is major injury news the mags are hardly outdated, your examples actually proved my point.

Those were players who had news in the last 3 days that could affect their value. but I also cited my ability to draft Greg Jennings and pick up Colston before the season started. Did you see them being touted in ANY football magazines? I remember vividly when I drafted Jennings, the guys with the football mags were thumbing through quickly looking to find him (with blank expressions on their faces). I really love your premise that football magazines are not outdated by an August draft date. I just wish that I could get u into one of my $100 leagues tho.

But you are 100% right about NFL schedules and bye weeks. THEY are not outdated in the mags - although I can find the same info on the net for free. I still say the best part of the only mag I bought last year was the CHEERLEADERS IN THE BIKINIS.

It's pretty insightful, quit entertaining, and makes for a good sh!tcan mag.

This is the real reason why I get one or two. I got the ESPN mag because it was one of the onle three at this particular store. Although the articles are fairly interesting, most of the content including all of the blurbs on players are taken directly off the free ESPN fantasy site. Other than sh!tcan material...a waste of money. I was getting sick of the digital yahtzee game anyway.

LionsFan:

Give me an e-mail and we can compare Defenses this year! Are you doing your big write up again?

Outdated? I mean aside from training camp injury what is so gonna dramatically change that the mags are outdated? :pointstosky:

its not cool to admit you buy FF mags, for anything other than crapper reading material. when in reality, there is a ton of great info in well written ones.

now obviously if you just buy a mag in June and thats all the research you do, then....................you'll prolly win your league and tell everyone you came up will all your own rankings!