Sign in to follow this  
joebrowns12

Kevin Smith

I'm really high on Kevin Smith to improve upon his rookie campaign this year. Am i crazy though to have him ranked ahead of the likes of Clinton Portis and Brian Westbrook? Or am i accurate in predicting the downfall of Portis and Westbrook and going with upside in Smith?

Obviously, the accuracy of your opinion wont be known for another 4 to 5 months.

I do like Smith this year but think you are premature in your predictions for Portis and Westbrook. But thats part of the fun of FF. I remember how much I liked Chris Johnson last summer and many thought I was crazy. A year later and he's in most people's 1st rounds.

If you really feel that Smith will outperform CP and Westy then more power to you. Just try not to reach for him though so you still get good value.

I'm really high on Kevin Smith to improve upon his rookie campaign this year. Am i crazy though to have him ranked ahead of the likes of Clinton Portis and Brian Westbrook? Or am i accurate in predicting the downfall of Portis and Westbrook and going with upside in Smith?

I don't know if I would rank him ahead of Westy and Portis, but I could see putting them in the same tier.

After a slow start ( 70 carries for 305 yds through 8 games) he finished pretty well ( 168 for 671 over final 8 games). Not only that, but he passes the 'eye test' for me. That is, he looks like an NFL back.

Ahead of Westy would be a reach. As much as I don't care for Portis, I still wouldn't rank Smith above him.

He's not a #1Rb just yet, but could be great value as a #3.

I look at Smith and see a solid #2 guy who compares well with both portis and westy. That said, I am not sure i would draft him over either of them; lets not forget smith runs for the lions, is a third round talent, and even kevin jones looked good one second half of a year (and we all know what became of him)...

I would ere on the side of caution.

jdon

Kevin Smith is a guy I'm looking at closely this year...I have a late pick in a 12 man PPR redraft and given what I know of my fellow league mates I'm expecting probably 10 of the first 11 picks to be RB's. As such there's a good chance I'm going WR-WR with my first 2 picks....Kevin Smith is EXACTLY the type of back I think will be there in the late 3rd who presents SERIOUS upside.

The one hesitation here is his team....drafting a Lion is never a tantalizing proposition but you gotta look at each season on a mutually exclusive basis in the FF world. He's one of the few potential "3 down backs" left in the league and given the fact you can probably get him in the late 3rd/early 4th represents a very good potential value pick.

I would not rank him ahead of Portis this year. (he needs to prove himself one more time before I'd consider doing that)

Ditto for Westy. Although the reports about Westy's health of late have concerned me to the point where I'd rank him about evenly with Kevin Smith.

The only exception that may or may not apply to you is if your league is a dynasty league. If that is the situation, I'd take Smith ahead of both of these guys due to the age & health of all players involved.

If you're sold on him, go for it. I think you're taking excessive risk, but if you're sold on him, then make your pick. I've had a lot of success predicting the demise of running backs, and some success predicting the rise of others. I still think Westy has one or more seasons left, and that Portis might as well. The question I would ask myself is, if I am picking in the 3rd or 4th round and Kevin Smith, Clinton Portis, and Brian Westbrook are all still there, who do I take? If your answer is Kevin Smith, then he's your pick, whether in the 1st or 2nd or 4th round.

If you're sold on him, go for it. I think you're taking excessive risk, but if you're sold on him, then make your pick. I've had a lot of success predicting the demise of running backs, and some success predicting the rise of others. I still think Westy has one or more seasons left, and that Portis might as well. The question I would ask myself is, if I am picking in the 3rd or 4th round and Kevin Smith, Clinton Portis, and Brian Westbrook are all still there, who do I take? If your answer is Kevin Smith, then he's your pick, whether in the 1st or 2nd or 4th round.

sound advice overall. but keep an eye on Westy's progress with respect to his injury if you are thinking about taking him.

one last piece of advice. if you are in round 1, and faced with this choice, you also need to ask yourself whether you have a good chance of getting your guy in round 2.

With Portis, I'd say no. He's still a first round pick in a redraft.

with Westy & Smith, I would say that you probably will get another shot at these guys in round 2.

what I am saying is that sometimes it pays to pick your guy by what you expect your opponents will do. This is just as important as your own opinion. If you can predict with any accuracy who will be drafted where then you will also know how long to wait to select your opponent.

some of these people wont hide the fact that they want to select LJ or Forte, or Westy with their pick, but others wont tell you anything. I have also noticed that many teams will select players who they have had on their team in the past (because they have done the research, and have followed their progress closely because they are on their team) so it may serve you well to see which teams had which players in years past to try to predict what they are likely to do.

one example,

In my league, I finish 3rd and draft #8 and #13. The guy who has the #9 and #12 picks likes power runners, and had MBIII on his roster last year, had Maroney a couple of years back, and loves Jacobs and has taken a RB with his first 2 picks every year since the start of time (or at least since I've known him) and the second guy likes guys like Westy(who is also available) and usually takes the first WR off the board and happens to be a Pats fan, and has been a longtime fan of Moss.

I may project that if I am picking #8 and I want Fitz and I see that MBIII and Jacobs are both on the board. I'd be willing to bet that

1) if I want MBIII I better take him now.

2) I can probably wait for Fitz cuz I think there is a reasonable chance that the other guy will take Moss and I'd bet against him going WR-WR with his first 2 picks.

so in this case, while I want to take Fitz now, I'd be willing to take a chance that he will be available at pick #13 so I pass and take MBIII (if I want him) or another top RB.

so in this case my second round pick is more desireable than my first round pick but I wait because I think he will slide to me in round 2.

so looking at drafting history can be very helpful. dont underestimate this.

I look at Smith and see a solid #2 guy who compares well with both portis and westy. That said, I am not sure i would draft him over either of them; lets not forget smith runs for the lions, is a third round talent, and even kevin jones looked good one second half of a year (and we all know what became of him)...

I would ere on the side of caution.

jdon

injuries did in kevin jones, unfortunately. but, yeah, it's risky to count on the lions running game until proven otherwise. but smith plays the most valuable position in ff and there's going to be at least 1 person in every ff league who gulps and steps off the cliff with him. will they be rewarded? time will tell. i like smith. i like his talent. it's just going to be hard for me to pull the trigger on him where i'll have to in order to get him.

that said, i hope smith blows up for all of you who bite the bullet and snag him. it's possible.

After a slow start ( 70 carries for 305 yds through 8 games) he finished pretty well ( 168 for 671 over final 8 games).

i don't get this one... so his slow start consisted of nearly 4.4ypc, and his pretty good finish was 3.99 ypc? i agree he's an intriguing prospect tho

Kevin Smith is a guy I'm looking at closely this year...I have a late pick in a 12 man PPR redraft and given what I know of my fellow league mates I'm expecting probably 10 of the first 11 picks to be RB's. As such there's a good chance I'm going WR-WR with my first 2 picks....Kevin Smith is EXACTLY the type of back I think will be there in the late 3rd who presents SERIOUS upside.

The one hesitation here is his team....drafting a Lion is never a tantalizing proposition but you gotta look at each season on a mutually exclusive basis in the FF world. He's one of the few potential "3 down backs" left in the league and given the fact you can probably get him in the late 3rd/early 4th represents a very good potential value pick.

I participated in 2 10 team mock drafts today and K Smith went early 3rd round in both. I think late in the 3rd in a 12 team league is a stretch

All 3 have been injured in the last few years. I dont think going down to injury constitues a "downfall". I see all 3 having good years

Remember this audio clip:

http://blog.mlive.com/terpstake/2008/11/ke...appy_lions.html

I think he is going to have a decent RB2 season overall but he will probably be inconsistent. Some great games, some horrible games. At the end of the season though I think his numbers are definitely in the top 20 RBs. Plus, I think he has tons of drive and is very vocal about it. Hopefully that rubs off on his team mates. He's not just "getting a pay check" like so many other players in the league. I think he could become a offensive locker room leader on the Lions considering that you know Staffard and CJ aren't going to do it. Those two guys are both GREAT players but not locker room leader type of guys in my opinion. Of course, who knows how their offensive line is going to play. That's really the big question here. But I have a feeling that with the new coach they are going to be greatly improved on defense, meaning hopefully they can be a little closer in games. Washburn was the mastermind of the Tennessee defense and there were years when he made something out of nothing... Maybe he can do that in Detroit. Based on all of that, I think 24K definitely gets a small boost in keeper leagues.

I say he is a decent play in the 4th round if you are subscribing to the RB/WR/WR/RB draft strategy where you pair him with a top 5 RB drafted in the 1st round. If he falls to the 5th or beyond, then he's gold.

I like Smith myself and had him last season on my FF squad

He was a great #3 back on my team, and I did start him playing matchups a few times.

Wessy(sic),Portis and Smith all have alot more risk this year, the 1st 2 with injuries and age.

Smith, new coach,playbook and a lion.

Depends on the amount of risk, you are willing to take on him.

If your in a rb heavy redraft, I can see Smith going in 2nd rnd early with a serpentine.

I personally am looking for him in the 3rd to 5th rnd.

A different take...........

I can keep 5 players from last year. Certainly I will keep Slaton, Fitzgerald & Megatron. I also have Smith, would you keep him? I would lose my 4th round pick (4th player kept), but would it be worth it to keep him??

I can keep 5 players from last year. Certainly I will keep Slaton, Fitzgerald & Megatron. I also have Smith, would you keep him? I would lose my 4th round pick (4th player kept), but would it be worth it to keep him??

It's called a hijack.

Yes, absolutely. He finished as the second best rusher in a season in college football history to Barry Sanders. He has excellent vision and elusivesnes and a good burst and ability to find the openings in the defense, and his drive/desire to be the best running back and football player he can be all means he's in for a very good season and career. I drafted him at 3.10 in a 12 team ppr redraft (1 keeper option league) already. In another league I play (2 keeper start up, also 12 team ppr) he went at 3.2.

Portis :o

Thank you. I am really high on Portis, but now that I've seen this insight, I have something to chew on, and may have to reconsider . . .

i don't get this one... so his slow start consisted of nearly 4.4ypc, and his pretty good finish was 3.99 ypc? i agree he's an intriguing prospect tho

:o I had the same question . . .

Kevin Smith has nice upside, but drafting him ahead of Portis, who is still relatively young, makes zero sense. If you don't like Portis, fine, avoid him. But Smith isn't there yet. Portis is going at the top of the second round; Smith is going in the third.

And Westbrook? Methinks people are ready to write him off because of his injury last year. I buy that, but he's still McNabb's primary playmaker. I'll use caution in grabbing him, but I still like what he's surrounded by better than the kid in Detroit.

Now, if you want to talk Dynasty, then there is a very solid argument to take Smith before either of the aforementioned players.

At this point, i have Westbrook/Portis/Smith very close on my board. I'll probably switch them around in every possible order repeatedly until draft day. I do know that id rather have wait one round and pick Smith up than take either Westbrook or Portis if im on the clock to make that decision. Say if its the mid 2nd round, id rather take another player and grab Smith in the 3rd than take Westbrook or Portis in the 2nd.

Call it a gut feeling, i see Portis hitting the wall this year and Westbrook being a less critical part of the Eagles offense. All the while, the Lions will focus on running the ball to either ease Stafford in or keep the ball out of Culpeppers hands.

I have a hard time believing that he'll be there for you in the late 3rd. If you are planning on the top 10 RB's being gone in round one, you'd better hope for a really big run on Wr's and QB's. If only half the guys go RB/RB, that means the top 15 are gone by the end of Round #2. Add in the others who will get their #2 guy before you in Round #3 and I think he'll almost certainly be gone before you get your third pick. Right now, ESPN has him as the #15 RB and Yahoo! has him at #17. On the bright side, when I look at their rankings it doesn't look like he would be picked much higher than the #15 RB and their are a few bigger name guys who are just behind him that could be taken ahead of him. That said, I think he's long gone before the late third.

I dunno about long gone. Kevin Smith's been rising all offseason, yes, but most places I've seen (FFToolbox, Fantasy Football Calculator) have his ADP standing right around 3.10 or 3.11. There tends to be a WR run in the late 2nd/early 3rd that pushes guys like Smith and Pierre Thomas back a bit. If your league is really RB heavy or someone had him last year and loved him, I could see an early 3rd rounder, but not much more than that and not very likely.

There is no RB I like more than Kevin Smith for the value. I traded for him in almost every dynasty I'm in and have drafted him in one redraft so far. I like him more than Westbrook or Portis in redraft or dynasty.

Kevin Smith Blog

The Lead Dog

Written By Kevin Smith June 21, 2009

I just got off the bus after helping Moran Norris run a kids’ camp here in Houston and I am beat up. It’s so hot, like 90 degrees, and humid.

But I know no matter how tired I am, I have to be in tip-top shape come training camp.

We have our last mini-camp on Tuesday and then I’m headed down to Miami to train and get ready. I’ve got about 4-5 weeks until our reporting date on July 31 and I’m going to start training the day I get off the plane in Miami.

I’m already in pretty good shape but I’m going to train and get on the right diet so I can get my legs strong and condition myself and perform at a high level all through training camp. Most guys know enough to show up in shape but there’s always a few who just aren’t ready.

For me being in shape and ready to go is a must. It’s not even an issue. I feel I’m a tempo-setter, so I have to be in great shape and looking and feeling good for this training camp.

I feel I have the mentality that I’m the lead dog and I’m going to set the tempo. It’s a mentality I like to take on and you can do it if you have the killer instinct. When you lead by example, there are always some guys who notice you and want to go in the same direction, which is great as long as it’s a positive direction.

We have more than a few guys like that. Daunte, Calvin, Dominic Raiola – his tempo in practice is like nobody else’s. It’s good when you can look at the majority of the players on offense and say that you can follow any man.

That’s what you want to be able to say. Then you know you’re working towards some good things as a team.