Sign in to follow this  
Borat33

Deangelo Williams

i agree completely... thanks for taking the time to write what i wanted to say.. but i can't get away from work for 5 minutes to put that much time into a response

No prob, I understand completely. Fortunately for me, Im ahead on most of my work and the boss is out of the office until Wednesday. Perfect timing for me as I gear up for my draft this Sat.

:thumbsup:

Nice TD run, but quite a few players in that video look a bit sunday-afternoon-flag-football-damn-it-is-hot-out-here-and-we-are-out-of-gatorade-so-i-am-gonna-jog-instead-of-run tired. Even DWill is jogging it into the end zone.All that aside, I can probably think of 4 RBs I would take ahead of him. But I'd take him as high as 6.

The point is, go with your gut and ignore people who give you sh1t for it. DWill won't make it to the second round, so you better take him if you want him.

Are you serious? Williams scored a 26 yard TD breaking 4 tackles starting off in his own backfield agaisnt the starters for a top 10 run defense last year and your qualifier is the guys looked like they were jogging b/c they were hot. It was the 1st quarter in a game where they know they wont be playing much longer. It wasnt that they were tired, it was that they couldnt believe the guy didnt go down in the backfield.

I mean we are really at the point of overanalyzing things here. That was a great play by Williams. Whats wrong with just leaving it at that? Somebody had a thread the other day saying Reggie Wayne had lost a step because he "labored" to get into the endzone on a long TD. Really? How about he slowed down to let the Safety overrun the play and scored a TD.

Sheesh! :thumbsup:

Are you serious? Williams scored a 26 yard TD breaking 4 tackles starting off in his own backfield agaisnt the starters for a top 10 run defense last year and your qualifier is the guys looked like they were jogging b/c they were hot. It was the 1st quarter in a game where they know they wont be playing much longer. It wasnt that they were tired, it was that they couldnt believe the guy didnt go down in the backfield.

I mean we are really at the point of overanalyzing things here. That was a great play by Williams. Whats wrong with just leaving it at that? Somebody had a thread the other day saying Reggie Wayne had lost a step because he "labored" to get into the endzone on a long TD. Really? How about he slowed down to let the Safety overrun the play and scored a TD.

Sheesh! :thumbsup:

When you run out of bullets or you have no bullets to begin with you have to just throw the gun. Complaining and over-analyzing like you've seen is akin to throwing the gun as they have nothing else. There has been a lot of gun throwing going on around here lately.

Are you serious?

Only partially. Mostly trying to be funny. I guess people need smiley faces to denote such things.

I DID say, immediately afterward, that I would take DWill as high as #6. I wouldn't say that about someone I am trying to slam.

Here are some emoticons that reflect my mood for this post:

:music_guitarred: :cheers: :clap: :bandana:

I have heard this argument several times in regards to Williams and I just don't understand it.

1) To say that Williams couldn't separate himself from Foster is inaccurate. As a rookie he averaged 4.1 ypc to Foster's 4.0 on a Carolina team that struggled with O-line injuries all year. In the passing game though, Williams nearly doubled Foster's production on basically the same number of catches. The next year Williams averaged 5.0 ypc to Foster's 3.5. I'd say that averaging 1.5 more yards per carry is separating yourself. And in the 2 seasons they played together Williams scored the same number of TDs despite having over 200 less touches. For whatever reason (veteran trust/loyalty, etc.), Fox chose to give Foster over 100 more carries than Williams both years but DeAngelo was clearly the more productive RB. Sometimes NFL coaches don's always make the best decisions in terms of sitting veterans for younger players. It happens.

I agree the coach not knowing what he had is a possibility, but he didn't separate himself from Foster. If he did he would have been the starter. I don't care what some situational stats look like. I'm talking about overall. If you didn't convince your coach that you are better than someone, you didn't separate yourself.

2) I'd like to see the thread where 80% of the responses said Williams "sucks." Even if it exists, then it really doesn't mean anything. NFL coaches are often wrong and we know about 1/10 of the football that they do. Last year Stewart was a shiny new toy in FF but even guys who were really high on him, like Waldman, noted that he would be sharing the backfield with a very talented RB in Williams.

I'm actually talking about a thread I started on another site. I was just trying not to brag about drafting Williams last year. It's uncouth. I was wondering why Stewart was getting all the hype and all I got was Stewart was drafted to start blah blah blah. Looking back over the thread I basically said everything you are saying to me almost verbatim even with NCAA all-purpose yardage thing, and the other people said everything I'm saying, so I'm convinced. I just thought Fox was better than that. Then again I wasn't arguing for Williams in the first. I was arguing for Williams in the 8th or whatever.

That being said, if Stewart is healthy, can we be sure stupid ass Fox that didn't realize Williams was this much better than Foster won't limit his carries to put Stewart out there? 70/30 Williams' way maybe?

I agree the coach not knowing what he had is a possibility, but he didn't separate himself from Foster. If he did he would have been the starter. I don't care what some situational stats look like. I'm talking about overall. If you didn't convince your coach that you are better than someone, you didn't separate yourself.

I'm actually talking about a thread I started on another site. I was just trying not to brag about drafting Williams last year. It's uncouth. I was wondering why Stewart was getting all the hype and all I got was Stewart was drafted to start blah blah blah. Looking back over the thread I basically said everything you are saying to me almost verbatim even with NCAA all-purpose yardage thing, and the other people said everything I'm saying, so I'm convinced. I just thought Fox was better than that. Then again I wasn't arguing for Williams in the first. I was arguing for Williams in the 8th or whatever.

That being said, if Stewart is healthy, can we be sure stupid ass Fox that didn't realize Williams was this much better than Foster won't limit his carries to put Stewart out there? 70/30 Williams' way maybe?

John Fox is one of those old-school coaches who is known to play vets over youngsters, regardless of what some of us see as an obvious disparity in talent. Typically, those kind of coaches seem to minimize the mistakes (or the erosion of the vet's abilities) and overstate the mistakes of the youngster. There was a time when Foster was the "young upcoming back" when Stephen Davis was wearing down, just as D-Will was the young back for Foster a couple of years ago.

Just for the heck of it, here is the breakdown of the RB workload for Panthers' top two backs each year since Fox has been the coach:

2002: Lamar Smith 209, Dee Brown 102 (67%-33%)

2003: Stephen Davis 318, Foster 113 (74-26)

2004: Nick Goings was the leading RB that year; if memory serves, the four RBs before him all went down with injuries

2005: Foster 205; Davis 180 (53-47)

2006: Foster 227; D-Will 121 (51-49)

2007: Foster 247; D-Will 144 (63-37)

2008: D-Will 273; Stewart 184 (60-40)

And now the game-by-game carry total for Williams last year (Weeks 1-17): 18, 11, 10, 16, 20, 11, 18, 17, 19, 14, 19, 21, 19, 12, 24, 25

And now the carry total for Stewart for comparisons' sake (1-17): 10, 14, 7, 14, 19, 6, 7, 8, 7,15, 5, 4, 15, 16, 9, 17

By my count, Stewart actually outcarried D-Will three times last season. Much like this season, Stewart was hampered all through the preseason with an injury (last season, his surgerically repaired toe) and then suffered hamstring, heel and head injuries during the season. Despite all of that, Fox (actually the OC did) still called his number on 40% of the running plays. Now if you believe Stewart is an injury risk after one rough season, take D-Will because he is a stud and will blow up with 300+ carries. But I can't realistically expect Stewart to see fewer carries after averaging 4.6 YPC and scoring 10 times last year when he was never healthy to begin with. There are a host of other reasons that I mentioned earlier in this thread as to why D-Will is a bigger risk than most of the people on here seem to believe, but recent history seems to suggest that last year's 60-40 split is a best-case scenario for D-Will, barring a season-ending injury to Stewart.

One other quick note: The NFL experienced a rash of poor rush defense in 2008. Since 2000, only five defenses allowed more than 4.9 YPC and just seven others tied that mark. Five of those aforementioned 12 defenses put up those averages last season alone. How many of those teams did Carolina play? Four (five games b/c ATL was one of those teams). Taken one step further, the Panthers faced six of the seven teams (seven total games) who allowed 4.6 YPC last season. Say all you want about his special talent, but I guarantee you that Carolina won't have things so easy in 2009.

Even if it is a 60-40 split I still think DWill is more than capable of putting up 1,500 and 15 td's. He is a special runner.

Even if it is a 60-40 split I still think DWill is more than capable of putting up 1,500 and 15 td's. He is a special runner.

I think that's what people forget about last season. The fact that Williams didn't have to carry the full load helped him in the end. He was fresh at the end of the season/FF playoff time. You can contrast that with someone like Portis, who was getting ALL the carries at the beginning of the season and later on the wheels fell off.

According to ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas, DeAngelo Williams will "still will get the bulk of the carries" even if Jonathan Stewart (Achilles) is healthy.

If Yasinskas is right, Williams obviously has a much better chance at duplicating last year's remarkable numbers. This might be a different story if Stewart was practicing every day and looking good. We still think Williams will have a regression from last season, but for now, expect him to get at least 20 carries per game. Aug. 25 - 10:31 am

:lol: :lol: :music_guitarred:

Need some help here

I play in a .5 ppr, 6 pts all TDs, 10 yards per rush per point

I have the #3 overall pick in a redraft

I know the guy @ #1 is picking AP and I know the guy @ #2 is picking Turner :music_guitarred:

That leaves me with a MJD/D-Will/Forte choice. :pointstosky:

I have been thinking D-Will all along, thinking the guy @ 2 would take MJD.

Now that I know hes not, I find myself backing away from D-Will to take MJD. Basically, becuase MJD will get more catches and has an easier looking schedule

Anybody want to help me make this choice? Please.......

Need some help here

I play in a .5 ppr, 6 pts all TDs, 10 yards per rush per point

I have the #3 overall pick in a redraft

I know the guy @ #1 is picking AP and I know the guy @ #2 is picking Turner :pointstosky:

That leaves me with a MJD/D-Will/Forte choice. :banana:

I have been thinking D-Will all along, thinking the guy @ 2 would take MJD.

Now that I know hes not, I find myself backing away from D-Will to take MJD. Basically, becuase MJD will get more catches and has an easier looking schedule

Anybody want to help me make this choice? Please.......

MJD all day long