Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Round 5 Commentary

FIXORED...

Real interested in thoughts on Braylon...considered another wr, but I'll explain why didn't go with him later....also a rb who is decent value right now, but wanted to get a 2nd wr.

I know Braylon was downright bad considering where he went in drafts, but I just don't think he's as bad as last year...or as good as year before.

Somewhere in the middle is where I expect him to finish. And in magini's ball control short passing scheme think would be a good fit to do just that, giving him a chance to get solid rec totals and get some decent yac as well.

Ryan was a reach IMHO. He probably would have been there with your next pick.

Or the one after that . . .

Considering I have Peyton Manning and Steven Jackson already on the team I'm pretty happy with a PPR starting WR core of Wayne, Roy Williams, and Jackson. Doesn't have the flash perse but is really solid from WR1 to WR3. All three are the number one WR on their team. All three are on good offenses. Manning/Romo/Rivers are their QB's. I likey, I likey alot.

Nice pick Riceman. I was set to go with either Gates or Clark. Both guys haul in passes at a WR2 pace....though Gates is usually a bit more consistent when it comes to TD catches. Clark seems like he's Manning's #2 target behind Wayne...though that could change with Gonzalez's development as a viable WR2. Clarks best two seasons have been his last two, which coincides perfectly with the demise of Harrison in the Colts' offense....so if Gonzalez can step into that role successfully, it might draw from Clark's overall numbers.

Still, considering what's on the board, and the pattern of recent success, it makes sense to go with a proven commodity with this pick.

It's about time that someone drafted Vincent Jackson. I was starting to get my hopes up. I thought he would have fallen at the front of the round. Nice grab, KSB.

Planned on taking Gates or Clark at 5.7. I generally use my 5th rounder on either the TE or QB I'm targeting (before the run starts in the 6th/7th). When Gates and Clark were picked, I went with the top QB left on my sheet.

PS. Sorry for the delay on the pick. Had a few meetings this morning.

VJax was WR I considered at 5.1, but didn't necessarily like the combo with Rivers plus was a little down him b/c of ppr...I looked closer and Rivers really spreads the ball around with top guys having 50-60recs each. There's alot of options there so really don't see anyone breaking away from pack as far as recs and though not so greta for us FFers, it's great from an NFL perspective so don't see it changing.

I like VJax alot better in standard scoring formats. He has yet to catch 60 or more passes in his career. He has, however, improved each year so i'm not saying he won't get up there around 70 catches but Rivers does spread the ball around quite a bit with Gates and LT who should catch 50 himself.

again, not saying Jackson was a bad pick. At this point he was one of the best WR's left.

Antonio Bryant - I don't even really like him but I bet he is a greedy guy and the franchise tag forces him to go all out again.

Someone text me when Clash selects. I'll be able to get to computer for the next couple of hours. Then, I'll try to make sure that I have a few selections ready to go. :pointstosky:

shouldnt really post your phone number where thousands of strangers can see it....

thats how he picks up young boys :D

whats with the slowdown today?

Once Clash picks, and if he sticks around until Dan texts his selections, we'll bang out a good chunk of round 6.

:crossedfingers:

i texted thunder dan

5.08 - RB Ray Tice, BAL

Round 5 of the great experiment. I was really pleased to land Ray Rice as my #2 Rb. He came to camp bulked up and in primo shape. He is a great ppr prospect as 40+ catches will be expected of him. I have him projected for 1200 combined, with 40 receptions and 6-8 TD's.