Sign in to follow this  
lindust20

Chicago Geeks and Visitors

Getting there september 10th and leaving on my birthday Sept 14th. Me and my dad are going to a Cubs/Reds game Friday and a U2 concert at Soldier Field on Sunday. I need recommendations on the best food (at a decent price) Chi-town has to offer, where to visit, what bars to go to etc. Also deals for places to sightsee for free or on certain days what not to miss.

So far this is what we plan to do... but not sure if we will see all of this.

Wrigley Field Baseball game

Lincoln Park

Sears Tower Skydeck

Navy Pier

Millenium Park

Art Institute of Chicago

Grant Park

Magnificient Mile

Staying Thursday afternoon til Monday Morning at the Silversmith hotel.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, you all gave me great ideas for the New York trip a few years ago and wanna make the best of this one!

:doublethumbsup:

I don't live in Chicago, but have been there a few times.

Gino's East has the best deep dish pizza. It's been awhile but from I remember, pretty cheap. Centrally located, so should be easy to get to.

There was a bar my wife and I went to before a Kenny Chesney concert...believe it was on State...a few blocks west of Soldier Field. Good food. Good beer. Totally packed...good atmosphere. There was a restaurant in back. Don't remember the name...maybe the Chicago homers know where I'm talking about. Anyway, good place to load up before the concert....only a 10-15 minute walk to Soldier Field.

Have fun! Chicago is a great city.

Are you Irish? There is a Celtic festival that weekend at Grant Park. You can't beat the price. Its Free. Maybe U2 will show up there as well.

You might want to take a tour boat that goes into the Lake. I think they are usually a bit overpriced though.

At navy pier or millenuim park you can rent bikes. Not sure how athletic you and dad are. There is a great bike path that runs along the lake. Go north and you will pass by a couple of beaches (Oak Street and North Avenue) where you can catch some great female scenery if its warm enough out. Its a nice ride even without the women though.

I tend to go to expensive restaurants with my wife now. If you don't mind paying and want a great steak try Gibsons. Its in a great area for people watching too.

You're not staying too far from my office. Its also next to the El. I hope you have a high floor or good insulation. A good place for lunch is Heaven on Seven. It may not be open on the weekends. Mostly a work crowd. They only take cash at this location which is the original. Its great cajun food and it is on the seventh floor of 111 N. Wabash (Go North on Wabash from your Hotel). It is not easy to find because it is inside an office building. If you go at 12 there is usually a wait. Go earlier or later. This location only serves lunch i believe.

Just for orientation purposes. Madison is the dividing line between North and South Streets and State is dividing line between East and west Streets. I think you are right around Madison and it can be confusing with the addresses.

Navy Pier is pretty cool. You can kill some time, enjoy the lake, get a beer, etc. A little touristy, but pretty nice, especially if you are coming back from another destination like the Art Institute. Not sure where your hotel is located. If you are too close to downtown....just head north.

Food is sorta tough cause it just depends, but there are plenty o' places. A nice little fairly inexpensive Mexican restaurant on Wells Street called Las Pinatas. Greek town at Halsted and Jackson is cool if you like Greek food.

Pizza is also good at Bacinos up on Lincoln Street (I think it is still there, but there is a location on Wacker, closer to downtown). Unos is good on Ohio Street.

A lot of little bars and small places on side streets that are not bad. Decent food that won't kill you. Personally the Lincoln-Fullerton area is awesome for bars, ladies, etc. If you make it there, check out River Shannon. just a dive, but....

Now....nobody is giving anything away, but...

Plenty of drinking establishments around Wrigley, also. You'll see.

For girl watching, Rush and State is awesome. Lot's a talent. However, there is plenty of "watching" at the Cubs game also. Given their play recently, that is your salvation.

what ever you do, do not ask for ketchup on a hotdog.

other than that, chicago is like every other city i have been too.

1.pizza

2.hot dogs

3.red light district

10 S. Wabash is at Wabash and Madison, just east of the financial district. Gotta get outta there after 6 pm. If it is the weekend or after 6 pm on weekdays, the tumbleweeds will be rolling down the streets. In that area they "roll the sidewalks up after dark". Not too far from the Art Institute. The subway is close, right off of State Street. Get North. Take a cab to Rush and State or Fullerton and Halsted or Fullerton and Clark.

10 S. Wabash is at Wabash and Madison, just east of the financial district. Gotta get outta there after 6 pm. If it is the weekend or after 6 pm on weekdays, the tumbleweeds will be rolling down the streets. In that area they "roll the sidewalks up after dark". Not too far from the Art Institute. The subway is close, right off of State Street. Get North. Take a cab to Rush and State or Fullerton and Halsted or Fullerton and Clark.

Its not as bad as it used to be down there. 10 years ago it was pretty empty after dark and on the weekends. But there have been some residential developments and new hotels in the loop and you get a lot more street traffic there now. Your hotel is located in jewelers row. I bought my wife's engagement ring in one of those stores.

As curley said, most of the action is to the North. There are some cool places to the South of you like Chinatown and Hyde Park but if you make a wrong turn you could be in trouble so best bet is to not to venture South of the South loop.

I would suggest grabbing a drink and appetizer atop the Hancock building and you will see that it's a much better view than the Tower formerly known as Sears. Better view of the North Shore from there.

Food:

Gibsons is great for steak as someone already mentioned. Tavern on Rush is in the same area, and is also good. There are other high end places you might wanna try too. Frontera Grill is worth checking out if you're into very high end mexican fare.

Bella Note is a great italian place in the west town area. Reasonably priced, authentic.

Bar food at the Twisted Spoke in the same area is pretty good

Mr. Beef makes a great italian beef sandwich. If you've never had one, give it a try.

Gino's and some of the other joints are ok, but Lou Malnatti's has the best deep dish pizza and it's not even close.

Grab some Garrett's popcorn off Michigan Ave for the trip home. Get the caramel/cheese mix

If you have a car, head down to Beverly (south side) to the original rainbow cone for an ice cream treat like none you've ever had.

Take a 2 am stroll in Inglewood area. Wear black and Gold and yell King Love repeatedly. Good Times. <_<