Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

2009 NY Yankees- Greatest infield in major league history?

Heard a bit of discussion about this on the radio this morning. Almost impossible to argue.

1B- Mark Texiera

2B- Robinson Cano

SS- Derek Jeter

3B- Alex Rodriquez

All great fielders. Cano and Jeter are the first 2B-SS combo with 200 hits each in a season. Most-likely three future Hall-of-Famers.

My second choice would be the '75 Reds (Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Rose), but if you look at the numbers, the Yanks dwarf those guys.

All great fielders.

X

X

Well, Cano is not yet a gold glove-level infielder, as he's a converted outfielder, but he's above average.

As for the others, Teixeira- 2 Gold Gloves, Jeter- 3 GGs, ARod- 2 GGs.

Well, Cano is not yet a gold glove-level infielder, as he's a converted outfielder, but he's above average.

As for the others, Teixeira- 2 Gold Gloves, Jeter- 3 GGs, ARod- 2 GGs.

GG's = biggest joke in all of sports, completely meaningless. right up there with the NFL pro bowl.

Rafael Palmeiro won the gg in 1999 and played 28 games at 1st base. please stop with the ggs meaning anything. They are a complete joke.

The players vote on the gold glove, how much effort or time you think they put into who they vote for? child please.

I will say that the Yankees infield could be the best ever as far as hitting, not fielding.

I will say that the Yankees infield could be the best ever as far as hitting, not fielding.

I didn't say they were the best fielding infield ever. Or teh best hitting infield ever.

They are the best infield ever. Period. All things considered.

GG's = biggest joke in all of sports, completely meaningless. right up there with the NFL pro bowl.

Rafael Palmeiro won the gg in 1999 and played 28 games at 1st base. please stop with the ggs meaning anything. They are a complete joke.

The players vote on the gold glove, how much effort or time you think they put into who they vote for? child please.

Say what you will about edjr, but on some topics he is capable of being indisputably correct. This is one of them :thumbsup:

2009 NY Yankees Phillies- Greatest infield in major league history

:thumbsup:

also youre gay

Phillies infield is terrific, too.

also i know you are but what am i?

agree with this 100%...and yet mega-overrated Ozzie Focking Smith is a first ballot HOF.

amen! errors are judged by hometown scorers...

stiffs like palmeiro, who couldnt move, are given the benefit of the doubt on balls they barely get to but cant handle..thats an error for others...

with all of the drugs that the yankee infield has taken and what they are being paid, they BETTER be 1 of the best.....

but all time? they arent even better than this years philly team or the 75 reds...69 orioles...82 brewers...27 yankees...

plus the other teams didnt play in a lil league park thats yielded a hr in every game this year but 1..a rain shortened sloppy game vs washington...

and also..its been known that a-rod gets signals from opposing players while hitting in blowouts..so he knows whats coming..the guys a cheater in many ways...

with all of the drugs that the yankee infield has taken and what they are being paid, they BETTER be 1 of the best.....

but all time? they arent even better than this years philly team or the 75 reds...69 orioles...82 brewers...27 yankees...

All the drugs? Is there someone there other than ARod who's taken/been suspected of taking drugs? Or are you just trying to be outrageous?

Did you really say 82 Brewers? I even mentioned the 75 Reds in my OP. They are arguably just as good or a very close second. But the 82 Brewers?

All the drugs? Is there someone there other than ARod who's taken/been suspected of taking drugs? Or are you just trying to be outrageous?

Did you really say 82 Brewers? I even mentioned the 75 Reds in my OP. They are arguably just as good or a very close second. But the 82 Brewers?

yes, the 82 brewers...

id take molitor, yount, gantner and cooper over this group....2 hall of famers..and jeter will never be yount...

if this infield also is on a club with a 250 million dollar payroll..trust me..its a whole new ballgame....

mark teixera...he was on the rangers team with sosa, palmeiro..and he toogot big rather quickly.....

its 2009...we cant be surprised if marks on the list...or pujols...anyone who saw pujols in the minors knows he had juiced also....

itll all come out in time...

but yes, the 82 crew.... :thumbsup:

If you just look at their careers on offense, sure. But offense has nothing to do with defense, they are quite mediocre on defense.

Who is the best infield for real? I am talking defense, i am not a huge baseball guy so i don't know. My Tigers with Inge(who has a high amount of errors but makes more than enough amazing plays to make up for it) Polanco, Cabby(who has been playing great defense on 1st actually), and Santiago are solid, i don't think they are the best. Detroit might have the best overall defense just because of Laird and our outfield. Our outfield is ridiculous, Grandy by himself is enough.

GG are a joke though, i agree with that.

yes, the 82 brewers...

id take molitor, yount, gantner and cooper over this group....2 hall of famers..and jeter will never be yount...

if this infield also is on a club with a 250 million dollar payroll..trust me..its a whole new ballgame....

mark teixera...he was on the rangers team with sosa, palmeiro..and he toogot big rather quickly.....

its 2009...we cant be surprised if marks on the list...or pujols...anyone who saw pujols in the minors knows he had juiced also....

itll all come out in time...

but yes, the 82 crew.... :thumbsdown:

:wacko:

:thumbsdown:

are you telling me that the 82 brewers infield wouldnt have the same # of wins on this 09 yankees team? cmon...youre kidding yourself...

im sure others can come up with other examples....

the same year when the yankee 3rd baseman was busted for cheating..you cant call them the best....

you dont think yount has all of those jeter moments if he was presented with as many postseason games?....

are you telling me that the 82 brewers infield wouldnt have the same # of wins on this 09 yankees team? cmon...youre kidding yourself...

im sure others can come up with other examples....

the same year when the yankee 3rd baseman was busted for cheating..you cant call them the best....

you dont think yount has all of those jeter moments if he was presented with as many postseason games?....

Dude, I'll sit here and debate the Yankees vs. the 75 Reds or even the 69 Orioles, all day long. Throwing in the 1982 Brewers is a joke. Are they your favorite team or something? They wouldn't even be in the team photo. And get off the Robin Yount-nonsense. Nice player and all, but not all that special.

As for the steroids comment, I suppose you can just go ahead and come to teh conclusion that Teixeira and Pujols and every other current slugger is taking steroids. If that's your be-all-to-end-all statement to eliminate any modern players/teams from any all-time-best discussions then I guess you shouldn't really bother entering threads like this. I certainly can't tell you that Tex never did them and I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised to find out Pujols does. So if you want to exlude the current Yanks from the best infield of all-time because the third baseman took drugs and the three others might have too, then that's fine. But taking that out of teh equation, I still haven't seen an infield listed that can give these guys much of a run (other than the 75 Reds)

Heard a bit of discussion about this on the radio this morning. Almost impossible to argue.

1B- Mark Texiera

2B- Robinson Cano

SS- Derek Jeter

3B- Alex Rodriquez

All great fielders. Cano and Jeter are the first 2B-SS combo with 200 hits each in a season. Most-likely three future Hall-of-Famers.

My second choice would be the '75 Reds (Perez, Morgan, Concepcion, Rose), but if you look at the numbers, the Yanks dwarf those guys.

They may be the best of all time but I wouldn't say its impossible to argue. Numbers in this era are all inflated. I am not just talking because of steroids. A combination of smaller ball parks, inferior pitchers or whatever. Its indisputable that todays hitters are putting up numbers easier than bin other eras. Throw in teh fact that the new Yankee staduim is a homerun hitters paradise and you have to say its unfair to compare the straight numbers to some of the eras that were more pitching dominant.

So, I don't think you can just put the numbers of the 76 reds against the 2009 yankees. The fact is that Morgan was a tremendous hitter of that era and won multiple MVP's. He was by far the best second baseman of that era and some argue the best of all time. Pete Rose was a great player and even a better leader. He aso was an MVP. Dave Concepcion was a great defensive shortstop. Much better defensively than Jeter. Tony Perez was one of the best RBI men of that era.

Each of the Cinncinatti players were perennial All Stars. Perez - 7 times, Morgan - 10 times, Concepcion - 9 times, Rose - 17 times. So each of these players were standouts at their position and among the top players in their era at their positions.

But the most important fact the seperates the Cinn infield vs the Yankees is that they won a couple of Championships. And cincinnatti did not have great pitching either. If this Yankees infield can win a championship or two they are in the discussion but for now..i'd rather have the Phillies current infield.

gag

Try downing about an inch less. I think you'll find it a bit more manageable. :music_guitarred:

They may be the best of all time but I wouldn't say its impossible to argue. Numbers in this era are all inflated. I am not just talking because of steroids. A combination of smaller ball parks, inferior pitchers or whatever. Its indisputable that todays hitters are putting up numbers easier than bin other eras. Throw in teh fact that the new Yankee staduim is a homerun hitters paradise and you have to say its unfair to compare the straight numbers to some of the eras that were more pitching dominant.

So, I don't think you can just put the numbers of the 76 reds against the 2009 yankees. The fact is that Morgan was a tremendous hitter of that era and won multiple MVP's. He was by far the best second baseman of that era and some argue the best of all time. Pete Rose was a great player and even a better leader. He aso was an MVP. Dave Concepcion was a great defensive shortstop. Much better defensively than Jeter. Tony Perez was one of the best RBI men of that era.

Each of the Cinncinatti players were perennial All Stars. Perez - 7 times, Morgan - 10 times, Concepcion - 9 times, Rose - 17 times. So each of these players were standouts at their position and among the top players in their era at their positions.

But the most important fact the seperates the Cinn infield vs the Yankees is that they won a couple of Championships. And cincinnatti did not have great pitching either. If this Yankees infield can win a championship or two they are in the discussion but for now..i'd rather have the Phillies current infield.

Well, like I said, that Reds team is the only one that can really be argued as a better choice. Problem is, Concepcion was never a threat with the bat. He was only a .260 lifetime hitter and only had two seasons with more than 10 home runs. That's what makes this Yankee infield so tough. They get power from the second base and shortstop spots.

Tony Perez

Pete Rose

Dave Concepcion

Joe Morgan

J Bench

Was Is and always will be the greatest infield ever. 2009 Yanks infield is a joke compared to Big Red Machine infield. I forgot how scary this infield was jeez.

Well, like I said, that Reds team is the only one that can really be argued as a better choice. Problem is, Concepcion was never a threat with the bat. He was only a .260 lifetime hitter and only had two seasons with more than 10 home runs. That's what makes this Yankee infield so tough. They get power from the second base and shortstop spots.

And the big Red Machine didnt play in a Wind Tunnel either. And the pitching was not as nearly as bad as it is today. Gimme a break 2009 Yanks infield is not the best in 2009. But Howard Utley Rollins Feliz is.

Tony Perez

Pete Rose

Dave Concepcion

Joe Morgan

J Bench

Was Is and always will be the greatest infield ever. 2009 Yanks infield is a joke compared to Big Red Machine infield. I forgot how scary this infield was jeez.

Bench was a catcher. Why didn't you list Foster, too?

Cey

Garvey

Lopes

Russell

76 Dodgers

This one is weaker at ever single position with the posible exception being 2nd base.

Not even in the conversation.

Schmidt 3b

Bowa SS

Trillio 2b

Rose 1b

Even this infield is better than 2009 Yanks.

Good infield. No power, other than Schmidt.

Next.