Sign in to follow this  
RaidersFan18

Roddy White?

He seems like a really good buy low candidate. I know Gonzo is stealing targets, but they don't have any other great WRs? Anyone else think that he is a really good candidate for a trade before he comes off the buy?

I'm thinking about offering Kevin Walter and Felix Jones for him; He was cut (!) in the ESPN league I'm playing in by a guy who is stacked at WR (picked up Sims-Walker), but I couldn't get him off the waiver wire.

The schedule isn't great, but its not awful. Their O has looked decent thus far, and the matchups are pretty good for the playoffs. For Gonzo owners, you could lock up most of the TD passes that Ryan ends up throwing. However, it seems advisable to avoid QBs in their second year, although Ryan seems solid.

Thoughts?

White has always been known for his lazy work ethic. To make matters worse, the Falcons recently gave him a ridiculously massive contract after he began holding out. If you thought he was lazy before, you haven't seen anything yet...well, you have - it's called his abysmal 2009 season. He's got no incentive to work hard. Last year he produced, as Ryan's only target, and working for a payday, but now he's gotten his money and Ryan doesn't even need him on the field. Ryan is growing as a QB and doesn't just sit on his first read any more (which is how Roddy had the big year in 2008, all those targets). White is still capable of some decent games here and there, but his lack of commitment really kills his fantasy value. Think of him as Roy Williams in a Falcons uniform.

White has always been known for his lazy work ethic. To make matters worse, the Falcons recently gave him a ridiculously massive contract after he began holding out. If you thought he was lazy before, you haven't seen anything yet...well, you have - it's called his abysmal 2009 season. He's got no incentive to work hard. Last year he produced, as Ryan's only target, and working for a payday, but now he's gotten his money and Ryan doesn't even need him on the field. Ryan is growing as a QB and doesn't just sit on his first read any more (which is how Roddy had the big year in 2008, all those targets). White is still capable of some decent games here and there, but his lack of commitment really kills his fantasy value. Think of him as Roy Williams in a Falcons uniform.

Interesting take. White has been dismal this year compared to last, but it doesn't seem like he's getting the passes he got last year now with Gonzalez playing. I figured that Gonz would take some coverage off of White and he might benifit from it. But this doesn't seem to be the case at all. He started the season as my #2 receiver behind Fitzgerald, but now that I have Sims-Walker, I'm definetely going to be moving him out of that slot.

My problem is, I'm not sure who to start at flex now: Roddy White, Johnathan Stewart, or Tashard Choice? (PPR league)

Interesting take. White has been dismal this year compared to last, but it doesn't seem like he's getting the passes he got last year now with Gonzalez playing. I figured that Gonz would take some coverage off of White and he might benifit from it. But this doesn't seem to be the case at all.

That's the thing. He won't get the targets like he used to unless he's willing to work hard and put in the effort. He's got to focus and work hard at getting open for Matt Ryan. He's got to focus and work hard at running crisper routes. That's expecting a lot from a paycheck player who's already gotten paid (and OVERpaid by anyone's standards). To add insult to injury, Roddy White - by virtue of his #1 WR status and good 2008 campaign - gets to face top coverage on a weekly basis. You pit a lazy WR against opposing defenses top Cornerbacks and you can see why it's been so ugly. What's going to motivate him to change? His motivation was money and he's already gotten more of it than he ever deserved.

I just offered Greg Jennings for White, which is probably a wash at this point, but after I lost by two points this past weekend with Jennings 3 catches for 30 yards, I couldn't take it anymore! :thumbsdown:

I think you are blowing things way out of proportion. I'm a huge Falcons fan and I'll acknowledge that Roddy had work ethic issues his first couple of years in the league. But when we brought Joe Horn here in 2007 that's what set Roddy on the right track. Anyone familiar with Joe Horn knows that he was one of the hardest working receivers in all of football and while Roddy doesn't have close to the work ethic that Joe Horn did he definitely got more serious about his craft after Horn took him under his wing. Roddy was probably on the verge of getting cut after 2006 but broke out in a big way in 2007 with Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, and Chris Redman throwing him the ball, and followed it up with another great year last year. Admittedly he has gotten off to a slow start this year, and some of that may be attributed to him missing most of training camp while holding out. But Ryan has also been a little off target the first few weeks. In the Miami game in particular he missed on several deep throws, one of them that would have easily been a touchdown to White. The New England game isn't much to go off of since the Falcons offense was only on the field about 1/3 of the time. And as far as Gonzalez stealing all of his targets, that's not as cut and dry as you make it sound. Gonzalez was targeted only 2 times in the New England game while White was targeted 6 times. After having a bye week to work out some kinks in the offense I expect Roddy to get things going in a big way soon.

My thoughts on him are exactly the same as they were last year and the year before. He is a stud. Ditto for Greg Jennings.

And the comparison of him to Roy Williams is one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've seen here in a while. Roy Williams has been a career under-achiever. Except for his rookie year (during and after which Terry Robiskie continually jacked his ass up), Roddy White has met or exceeded all expectations. I haven't heard of any work ethic issues ever since.

And seriously, I've never seen evidence that the argument that most football players slack off after their contract year has any basis in fact, in spite of anectdotes to the contrary. Think about it. If you were a high draft choice, then you are really set for life; every year as long as you stay in the NFL you make a million dollars. Are you going to get lazy just because you got a contract from say $2 million a year to 8 million a year? That is just not rational. Most pro players are competitors - which Roddy is - and are really playing for pride. They already had enough money before the new contract (a lot more money than they ever dreamed of if they came from a poor environment). But because they ARE competitors, contract money is another way of keeping score for them.

Just FYI, the # of stud WRs who put up consistent numers every year of their career are very few and far between.

He is a stud. Ditto for Greg Jennings.

:thumbsup:

Why not add in Braylon Edwards while you're at it?

lay off the sauce

:banana:

Why not add in Braylon Edwards while you're at it?

lay off the sauce

:rolleyes:

I have Roddy White and he's riding the bench this week in favor of Mr. Hamas out of Cleveland. #1 WR (even as a rookie) vs Buffalo > #1 WR (lazy tho) vs San Fran.

I was going to trade for White until I saw his remaining schedule. 7 of the next 9 games are against the 1,2,4,5,6,10, and 13 ranked pass defenses. With a second year QB and stud TE taking those Red Zone targets added to how White has been used this far..... I took the trade back. If it was Peyton Manning throwing to him and he had some other WR's good enough to steal some of the heat he would be worth a trade. I think a lot of people are going to trade for him bc of his name value. He might blow up but something tells me he will have a quite year with a few good games.

I've never seen evidence that the argument that most football players slack off after their contract year has any basis in fact, in spite of anectdotes to the contrary.

How about Joe "Hollywood" Horn? He had a career year in 2004 with 94 receptions, 1399 yards and 11 TDs. He signed a new six year contract during the offseason and in 2005 posted 49 receptions, 654 yards and 1 TD. How do I know this? Because I had this focker on my FF team in 2005. :shocking:

White is certainly good, just not exactly as good as his draft position probably cost.

Obviously, with a chunk of the season under our belt now, draft position is fairly meaningless (Other than the cost of losing games because White is lazy)

He'll end up somewhere around 15-20 out of all the recievers at end of the year. I dont' see any increase in his production going forward.

Well, I hope he turns it around, as the trade just went through. I picked up Roddy white and Johnathan Stewart for Kevin Walter and Felix jones.

I'm having a little buyer's remose, but hopefully things will work out.

I think you are blowing things way out of proportion. I'm a huge Falcons fan and I'll acknowledge that Roddy had work ethic issues his first couple of years in the league. But when we brought Joe Horn here in 2007 that's what set Roddy on the right track. Anyone familiar with Joe Horn knows that he was one of the hardest working receivers in all of football and while Roddy doesn't have close to the work ethic that Joe Horn did he definitely got more serious about his craft after Horn took him under his wing. Roddy was probably on the verge of getting cut after 2006 but broke out in a big way in 2007 with Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, and Chris Redman throwing him the ball, and followed it up with another great year last year. Admittedly he has gotten off to a slow start this year, and some of that may be attributed to him missing most of training camp while holding out. But Ryan has also been a little off target the first few weeks. In the Miami game in particular he missed on several deep throws, one of them that would have easily been a touchdown to White. The New England game isn't much to go off of since the Falcons offense was only on the field about 1/3 of the time. And as far as Gonzalez stealing all of his targets, that's not as cut and dry as you make it sound. Gonzalez was targeted only 2 times in the New England game while White was targeted 6 times. After having a bye week to work out some kinks in the offense I expect Roddy to get things going in a big way soon.

I'm not saying. I'm just saying :thumbsdown:

That's the thing. He won't get the targets like he used to unless he's willing to work hard and put in the effort. He's got to focus and work hard at getting open for Matt Ryan. He's got to focus and work hard at running crisper routes. That's expecting a lot from a paycheck player who's already gotten paid (and OVERpaid by anyone's standards). To add insult to injury, Roddy White - by virtue of his #1 WR status and good 2008 campaign - gets to face top coverage on a weekly basis. You pit a lazy WR against opposing defenses top Cornerbacks and you can see why it's been so ugly. What's going to motivate him to change? His motivation was money and he's already gotten more of it than he ever deserved.

In 3 plus games since these ridiculous posts White has

22 receptions for 424 yards and 5 TDs.

:dunno:

Well, I hope he turns it around, as the trade just went through. I picked up Roddy white and Johnathan Stewart for Kevin Walter and Felix jones.

I'm having a little buyer's remose, but hopefully things will work out.

The only remorse you should feel is the fact that you were retarded for feeling any, at all, in the first place.

:doublethumbsup: