Sign in to follow this  
fantasy_guru

Kick Returners Killing Me---

Our league has always allowed kick return yards for punts and kickoffs for individual players. (1pt. per 10 yards+ TD's) Some of our people who do not have quality WR's or RB's are picking up unproductive players that are kick returners and racking up on points.

For example, Cribbs last week didn't catch a pass in the game but ran wild on kick returns. Same with Royal.

Is this something others are dealing with or do your scoring systems not allow this.

Thanks for your help and input.

Doubt you will get many thoughts on this b/c the overwhelming majority dont play in leagues that score return yardage.

I dont play in a league like this and really wouldnt want to.

But since you do play in this league and knew the rules beforehand you should have targeted guys who are good returners.

Cribbs and Royal are both known quantities in the return game so Im not really sure what your point is here other than to :mad: :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're on the receiving end of FF bad luck.

Each week you have guys checking in here saying they're the second highest point scorer in their league with only one problem; they played the team with the first highest points.

Guy in my PPR league started Eddie Royal but we don't give individuals points for returns so he got a big ol' goose egg despite the guy scoring two TDs.

It happens to us all. Suck it up and play on.

Good luck. :mad:

Thanks guys....haven't lost to any of these teams doing this yet. It's definitely a feast or famine stategy for them. There will definitely be one new rule in our league for next year. Kind of takes the fun out of picking a great team. Thanks!

One of my leagues does 1 pt/25 ret yards, which gives a slight boost to a handfull of players but doesn't quite make pure returners worth starting. It's a big league, so it gives a few people the chance to be competitive a little while longer if their draft goes badly (Hixon was a surprisingly capable performer for a desperate owner this last week, for example).

1 pt/10 would get out of hand. See if you can get Ted Ginn this week, as his owner might not be up to speed on the news that he's likely to win the Miami KR job after Patrick Cobbs went to IR.

I play in 2 kick return yard leagues (1 per 25) and have Knox in both :thumbsup:. I agree that 1 per 10 is rediculous

I dont play in a league like this and really wouldnt want to.

If your league uses the Defense/Special Teams position then I think return yards should only go to the D/ST owner and not the owner who started the player as a WR (like Eddie Royal). OR, only use Team Defenses and then give return yards to individual players.

But if it is an IDP league (and they are a lot of fun) then individual players should absolutely get return yards and TDs. That's the ONLY way an IDP league makes sense.

Owners should adjust their draft strategy according to their league's scoring (assuming the scoring system was made clear before the draft and was not changed afterward). Just like a PPR league or a TD heavy league, you have to bump up certain players according to the scoring.

If your league uses the Defense/Special Teams position then I think return yards should only go to the D/ST owner and not the owner who started the player as a WR (like Eddie Royal). OR, only use Team Defenses and then give return yards to individual players.

But if it is an IDP league (and they are a lot of fun) then individual players should absolutely get return yards and TDs. That's the ONLY way an IDP league makes sense.

Owners should adjust their draft strategy according to their league's scoring (assuming the scoring system was made clear before the draft and was not changed afterward). Just like a PPR league or a TD heavy league, you have to bump up certain players according to the scoring.

Agree with the part in the bold BUT

I dont see what IDP has to do with scoring return YARDS or TDs for that matter.

I have played in IDP leagues, they are ok, but I can do without them. In these leagues, just like every other league I play in, individual players got the points for return TDs but not any points for yards.

All my leagues now have team D/special teams where the D gets points for return TDs and so does an individual player. I have seen that argued on here more than once and I really dont care what anyone says, thats how I like it and thats how my leagues score it.

I am not in favor of scoring return yards. I played in a league that did for 2 years and it was fine but I dont feel like it really added anything. And I believe that league was 1 pt per 25 yards. 1 point per 10 skews things way too much in favor of returners IMO.

I am 4-2 in my league. the 2 losses are by a combined 2 points. That's fantasy and why we play, as almost every game means something.

Going into this Sunday I needed 7 points combined from Forte/Gates(points start at 25 yards).......bad loss,crap happens lol

Agree with the part in the bold BUT

I dont see what IDP has to do with scoring return YARDS or TDs for that matter.

I have played in IDP leagues, they are ok, but I can do without them. In these leagues, just like every other league I play in, individual players got the points for return TDs but not any points for yards.

All my leagues now have team D/special teams where the D gets points for return TDs and so does an individual player. I have seen that argued on here more than once and I really dont care what anyone says, thats how I like it and thats how my leagues score it.

I am not in favor of scoring return yards. I played in a league that did for 2 years and it was fine but I dont feel like it really added anything. And I believe that league was 1 pt per 25 yards. 1 point per 10 skews things way too much in favor of returners IMO.

I feel letting individual players score return yards adds a fresh dynamic to our league. I'll admit, 1pt/10 yds is insane. That's like playing arena fantasy football. The guys in our league voted for a 1pt/15yd format, which is extreme but not crazy. We also play IDP's as opposed to team DST, which I will never do again. I'm sorry, I just feel playing DST is flawed.

It's hard to start pure returners in our league, as you lose out on points you'd get from a regular position player. Sure, we have those rare games where the returners blow up and make a difference, but those don't shift any balances. The skill is to get an every down player who also returns kicks, but even those guys can be up and down. Usually, your stars won't play special teams. Guys like Royal, Knox, Breaston, and some IDP's who return punts and kicks can add to the player pool in a large 12 team league.

If anything, throw out the 1/10 points format next year.

I'm in a 20 man league that scores 2 points for 10 return yards (crazy, but all of the scoring settings are extremely high, so it evens out).

Because of this, I specifically targeted depth players like Leon Washington, Royal, Harvin, and Jim Leonhard at S (it's an IDP league) late in the draft.

Team is 4-2, and looks like this:

QB: Hasselbeck

RB: Ray Rice, Ryan Grant

WR: Andre Johnson, Burleson

TE: Shiancoe

D/ST: Packers

DT: Richard Seymour

DE: Julius Peppers

LB: Kirk Morrison

CB: Charles Woodson

S: Jim Leonhard

K: Steven Hauschka

P: Daniel Sepulveda

HC: Mike Tomlin

BN: Leon Washington

BN: Percy Harvin

BN: Joey Porter

BN: Jaguars D/ST (dropping when waivers open)

Unfortunately, I got frustrated with Royal early on, and dumped him for Burleson. Doubt I'll ever get him back, now.

I wouldn't go after a pure returner in a league that gives points - but a guy like those mentioned above, that play fairly significant roles on offense, as well as returning kicks, are money.

We go with 1 point per 25 return yards, compared to 1 point per 10 rushing/receiving yards, and it works out well. Returners don't get overvalued but still get some deserved credit.

One of my leagues started doing this this season. Most of us noticed after the draft, as we used to do 1 point per 25 return yards. I never even thought to see if that had changed. It has really screwed up the league, the highest scoring players in the league besides QB's are players like Cribbs that get alot of return yards, pretty much regardless of what else they do. It's turned the league into a joke this year, I don't know what the commish was thinking when he made the change. It's bad enough that I won't play in it next year if it's not changed back and I've been in the league for about 5 years now.

I played in a league that accidentally had the 1 point/ 10 yds return system. It took a week or two to figure out what was going on, but once I noticed it I dropped all my stud WR and picked up Cribbs, Figurs when he was returning for the Ravens, and Hester. I won that year. It is a terrible system but if thats what you have take advantage of it. Find a bad team that gets scored on a ton (TN for example) and just grab the kick returners.

Easy, start replacing your weak players with strong kick returners as well. My recommendation of somebody who might be available is Danny Ammendola of the Rams. He is going against the Colts who should score plenty this week.

Our league has always allowed kick return yards for punts and kickoffs for individual players. (1pt. per 10 yards+ TD's) Some of our people who do not have quality WR's or RB's are picking up unproductive players that are kick returners and racking up on points.

For example, Cribbs last week didn't catch a pass in the game but ran wild on kick returns. Same with Royal.

Is this something others are dealing with or do your scoring systems not allow this.

Thanks for your help and input.