Sign in to follow this  
mahoney

Fantasy Playoff Schedule

I'm just looking for some ideas on how different leagues run their playoffs. Do top seeds get first round byes?

Does anyone play in a league where there's some kind of unique arrangement? Does anyone actually go until week 17?

Who plays who in the second round? What is the payout percentage-wise? Winner take all?

Thanks.

12 team league

we actually have three divisions

playoffs run from week 14-16 (one week per round)

6 teams into the playoffs based on record (points for being the tie-breaker)

top two seeds (Division winners can only be the top two, other seeds sorted by record) get a bye (week 14)

Payout:

3rd place: Half their entry fee

2nd place: Entry fee

1st place: Remaining pot

12 team league

we actually have three divisions

playoffs run from week 14-16 (one week per round)

6 teams into the playoffs based on record (points for being the tie-breaker)

top two seeds (Division winners can only be the top two, other seeds sorted by record) get a bye (week 14)

Payout:

3rd place: Half their entry fee

2nd place: Entry fee

1st place: Remaining pot

Thanks giraldi...question:

How do you determine who plays #1 seed and who plays #2 seed during week 15?

12 Team League

$100 Entry Fee

2 Divisions

Top 4 teams in each divison make it to the playoffs

No first round byes.

Week 14: #1 seed vs. #4 seed, #2 seed vs. #3 seed in each division

Week 15: Two remaining teams from each division face eachother

Week 16: Championship

Winner: $700

2nd Place: $350

3rd Place: $50

Total points leader from the regular season get half of the transaction money ($1 per player added)

12 team league....

$200 entry.

1st 50percent

2nd 25percent

3rd 15 percent

4th 10percent

playoffs weeks 14-16.

7teams make playoffs 1st place team gets the 1st wk bye. :doublethumbsup:

12 teams, 3 divisions

3 division winners (1 and 2 get byes and get 20% of the pot each)

3rd gets 15% of pot and plays 1st round

3 Wildcards

For the 2nd round we let the #1 PICK who they want to play.

5% for winners of this round and then the rest to the Super Bowl winner

Similiar but with a few differences :

12 Team, 3 Divisions

All 12 teams make playoffs but there are 3 Tiers (4 teams per tier), no byes playoffs are week 15 and 16 so we avoid week 17

Top 4 Play for the Superbowl - 3 division winners and one wildcard (if teams have the same record, tie breaker is head to head, then points)

1st gets 400, 2nd 200, 3rd 125, 4th 100

Second Tier teams 5-8 Play Toilet Bowl playoffs

5th gets 50, 6th gets 25, 7th and 8th play for pride

Third Tier is the Commissioner Playoffs

Bottom 4 or teams 9-12 have a fierce battle.

The teams that win can relax and play for pride in week 16.

The teams that lose in week 15 play each other in the Commissioner Bowl week 16. This game is actually more popular for people to keep an eye on - the person who loses becomes commissioner the following year. IF that person drops and does not come back the following year the person who played and won in the commissioner bowl becomes the commissioner. No one wants to be in this game so this is a lot of fun. There is not a lot of work to do as the commissioner except organizing some votes on league changes, loading the schedule, rosters after the draft, manning our waiver wire phone in process. There is always two of our experienced owners who are around to assist the comissoner as needed but this is actually fun and whoever ends up in last overall gets burdened as commissioner.

Most years we don't lose anyone, most 10 of the 12 owners have been in the league for most of the existance 11 years.

The importance of the setup is that everyone stays interested all season - there is plenty of incentive - if you team is bad you are always looking to improve, setting your lineup, picking up the best free agents wheter you are in 12th or first. Since everyone wants to stay out of the commissioner bowl and if you are in it you want to win so you don't end up commissioner next year.

This works well and all teams have something to fight for no matter how bad your team is you want to win at least one game during our playoff weeks.

What do you think of this setup?

In four of my 12 team leagues, I think we have the pretty standard situation. Top 6 make the play-offs, wks 14 -16, but the top two have a bye in week 14. So the 3rd through 6 spots have to run through three wins to win the champoinship, the top two are rewarded with automatic 4th place+, and 'only' have to win two in a row to get the championship.

In three of the leagues we only pay down to 3rd place, in one league we pay down to 4th.

In my dynasty league we have 3 divisions (randomly drawn at the beginning of the season, Each division champ makes the play-offs plus the "wild-card" with the best record (obviously we have a tie-breaker formula. So the playoffs are only week 15 and 16. That one also only pays 3 places.

12 team league....

$200 entry.

1st 50percent

2nd 25percent

3rd 15 percent

4th 10percent

playoffs weeks 14-16.

7teams make playoffs 1st place team gets the 1st wk bye. :dunno:

Why in the world would you want 7 teams to be able to make the playoffs? So teams with losing records could get in and sneak out the trophy?

My league runs week 14-15 as round 1.

Week 16-17 as round 2.

4 teams get in.

Winner take all.

My main 14-team league has no divisions--true round robin, with a repeat of your week 1 opponent in week 14. The top 4 teams by record get in, with total points acting as tiebreaker. I think next year we might have to increase it to at least a 6-team playoff since half the league is already eliminated with 3 weeks to go. We had the 4-team playoffs when the league was smaller and figured it would just be more challenging, but it kinda saps the fun when you're hovering around .500 and still know you're a longshot to get there. Another playoff round would also perfect the round robin format. Championship loser gets back his entry fee, winner takes the rest.

we have 12 teams in 3 divisions this year(was 2 divisions).

-8 teams make the playoffs

-top 2 from each division and 2 wild cards

-#1 seed get first choice of which wild card to play and the #2 seed gets the other wild card

Other league we have 12 teams one division 8 teams make playoffs.(was 2 divisions but one division makes sure the 8 best teams make the playoffs)

-8 teams make playoffs

-#1 seed gets his choice of who he wants to play between the #6, #7 and #8 seed

-#2 seed gets his choice of who he want to play between the 2 remaining

-#3 seed gets which ever one is left

-#4 and #5 play each they dont get to choose crap

I like it when the higher seeds get to choose their opponent. I rewards them for their good regular season. Im not a fan of bye weeks.

$200 buy in

12 team 3 division

3 division winners and 3 wild card

top 2 division winners get first round byes

week 14-16

record is used to determine seeding. division winners are automatically 1-3 the wild cards make up 4-6 if records are tied we use points as tiebreaker

lowest seed plays highest seed through out as in traditional playoff format

division winners get $150

super bowl winner $450

runner up $150

points title runs from week 1-16

winner $570

runner up $150

each week has a high point winner who gets $30

the way we have it set up keeps the league interested throughout and competitive. even the 3-9 team in our league was trying to improve before trade deadline to see if he could maybe win hiigh points a few times.

12 teams total. $100 each. 2 divisions of 6 teams each.

Top 3 in each division make the playoffs

Both division winners get a bye week and the 2nd and 3rd place within each division play each other. The winner of that game plays the division winner. So, when I make the playoffs this year, I will not be playing any team from the other division until the superbowl, should I make it that far. It doesn't matter if my division is loaded with 5-8 teams while the other division is stacked.

I'm not sure of the payouts, but I know that only the 2 superbowl teams get anything. There's no prize for 3rd place. I think each division winner gets half the entry fee, the superbowl loser gets his entry fee, and the winner takes home $1000. That sounds about right.

F- Playoffs

we go 17 weeks total points that way THE BEST team wins......

no schedule or fluke things happen, most competitive league I've ever been in.

F- Playoffs

thats no fun :sleep:

F- Playoffs

I disagree with the argument that the team who scores the most points is thus the best team.

Just consider the following words:

Consistency

Injuries

Trades

What if a team has the high of the week 4 or 5 times in your league but the low of the week 4 or 5 times as well? Is that the best team just because they had more total points?

What if a team had some key guys get knocked out late in the year and thus has to field scrubs. This is football not golf. In football you have to win late in the year to wear the crown.

What if you intentionally throw a week or two through trades (i.e. picking up a stud while he's on a bye from a team desperate for a starter). Couldn't it hit my total points but yet I still have the better team.

I do think total points in important. We give the first wildcard spot to the top point scorer who didn't win their division.

But it's not all of the story and I don't think I'd play in a league where it was the only thing you looked at. You have to play a week-to-week format with wins and losses. I love the idea posted in another thread with double headers each week. I think that could be a fun way to go...