Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official LOST Season 6 thread***

No, Christian said that some of the people there died before Jack, some long after.

So the island wasn't purgatory, it was "real".

And eventually Hurley died, likely after finding a replacement, like Jacob before him.

no, the stuff on the island happened as we saw it. Hurley and Ben were alive at the end of the island timeline but will die at sometime just as Jacob did. The people flying away are alive but will also die someday. They were dead at the church. I did not see Richard at the reunion though but the gray hair suggests he will age now. Christian said there is no now where they were at.

OK, makes sense. What about the dead people in the LAX timeline, and their interraction with alive people (not the main characters)? Was that real, i.e. if they chose to ignore the reunion, would they go on with their "lives" as normal? That would be an interesting question.

You know something, all i wanted to know was what the alternate time-line was and what the light in the cave was.

The light in the cave wasn't fully explained, but i definitely have a much better understanding of what it was.

The island is it's own entity, Jack needed to save it and kept him alive and coming back to the island. Once people are done with helping the island/people of the island, they die. Ben, Hurley, and Desmond stayed on the island until more replacements came.

Also, the island was sunk in the "alternate time-line" so that means if the island sunk, reality itself would fail to exist and everyone would die instantly.

See this, is what makes Lost such a great series. It doesn't ever have a straight forward answer, which angers some people. Not me. It gives you the tools to come up with your own conclusions. I love it.

I still can't help but think that the whole LAX narrative was a throwaway.

I get what it was about. But how was it linked to the h-bomb?

It wasn't? So what was Juliet's last lines about? "It worked..."

I have a feeling after more reflection, I'm going to be less thrilled with the finale.

It was good, but it didn't tie any of the loose holes up at all, and reaffirms what many of us thought before: much of the plot inconsistencies was nothing more than sloppy writing.

no, the stuff on the island happened as we saw it. Hurley and Ben were alive at the end of the island timeline but will die at sometime just as Jacob did. The people flying away are alive but will also die someday. They were dead at the church. I did not see Richard at the reunion though but the gray hair suggests he will age now. Christian said there is no now where they were at.

Wow. Out of everyone on here, it's Bill E that explains everything. Thanks, that makes a lot more sense and i am much happier with the ending now.

Guys like Miles, Ana Lucia, ect weren't attached to anyone on the island. Love it what brought them together in the other time-line, and they weren't truly loved by anyone.

Like was said previously, when you boil it down, Lost was just a love story, but an extremely epic love story.

I am with you CantTouchThis. I loved the last show, but the last 5 or ten minutes were dissapointing. That is, until I read Bill E.'s thoughts. Like you, I am much happier with the ending now, which is exactly what I was hoping for when I came to this thread as soon as the show was over.

Bill E. gets a :doh:

It gives you the tools to come up with your own conclusions. I love it.

Exactly. The writers said something that really caught me during the commentary. They didn't like the idea that you had to dumb down TV for the audience. That's what made this show so great. You almost felt like one of the characters.

I was definitely NOT disappointed with that ending. At no point did I think the alternate timeline was a purgatory type place, so that was pretty cool and definitely makes you think.

What about the dead people in the LAX timeline, and their interraction with alive people (not the main characters)?

No one in the LAX timeline is alive.

The LAX timeline... They all meet immediately after they die so they can head into heaven together, even if they don't die at the same time. Simple enough. Cool enough.

I was very entertained by the finale, but in the end I don't feel like seasons 1-5 were even remotely related to what season 6 would have us believe the series was about.

I'll let it all sink in, but I'm thinking this series was a fun time waste, but hardly anything intelligent or ground breaking like I believed or the writers would have had us believe the last 6 years.

The LAX timeline is the space in between life and death, a place the characters create to redeem themselves in their own mind (Jack fixes a father/son relationship he wasn't able to fix with his real father, etc.)

Only those who are ready "move on" go to the church (they remember they died and are with the ones they love/who meant something to them)

Eloise isn't ready to let go of Faraday

Ben knows he's dead but just isn't quite ready to go into the church...he's still working on his issues and there's no one there who he loves/loves him - because of how he was in real life (edit: is maybe waiting for alex/danielle?)

I think that's pretty straightforward. And Christian said it for us - some died already, some now, some will later. They're all dead in the church and moving on.

What's up for debate is how/when they died. Did the plane crash and they all died immediately?

Did the island stuff happen? Or did they create it to have these relationships to give their life meaning (because they were all clearly missing something pre-oceanic flight).

If the island wasn't real and in their own minds...it helps explain a lot:

-why the bullet moves that hits Ben, why the storm is there/not there with black rock, etc...because each of them see things differently

-and christian off the island was just christian then to jack, not MIB and does fit the "rules" they create for their story. this would also somewhat explain why christian told michael on the freighter "he could go now" - as in, move on, he was already dead.

I like the flash-sideways now and the ending a lot. Some unanswered questions, yes. But if it was all pinpoint cleared up, it wouldn't be epic.

It was good, but it didn't tie any of the loose holes up at all, and reaffirms what many of us thought before: much of the plot inconsistencies was nothing more than sloppy writing.

Ok, i was typing a response to this but i just thought of something. What was the plane that fly over Jack right at the end? Oceanic or Aijira?

A) The bomb prevented the incident, which means the plane didn't crash, that thus started this purgatory state. The island wanted this to happen, and made it happen, and we saw this progress in season 5 and 6.

B ) yes, unfortunately, some of these things are attributed to sloppy writing.

However, i think everything is easier if you accept that the island is it's own entity. What is it? Whatever you want it to be. It allowed the survivors to redeem themselves, i like Kimmel's explanation. They are brought to the island to redeem themselves. Once they do, they can move on and die. You can leave, but you will inevitably go back, and guys like Richard(Desmond/Ben) and Jacob(Hurley) make it happen. Also the island needs help to protect itself from guys like MIB and people that shouldn't be there.

Wow. Seriously. Pure genius. How do they do that? They make you really think without you even knowing it.

I am with you CantTouchThis. I loved the last show, but the last 5 or ten minutes were dissapointing. That is, until I read Bill E.'s thoughts. Like you, I am much happier with the ending now, which is exactly what I was hoping for when I came to this thread as soon as the show was over.

Bill E. gets a :doh:

:doh:

Ben was trying to iron out stuff with Alex and Danielle, which is why he didn't go to the church. I think i saw Helen there for Locke.

I am not pleased. :lol:

Fock the Kimmel sh!t. I going to try to get some sleep and forget this raping of our sensibilities. Enjoy hashing this out. I will reserve further comment for a few days. After writing up the this final abortion, I will have to compile a series of articles chronicling the thousands of unanswered questions and the lack of anything resembling anything that made sense as far as the ending of the show.

Or I'll just flush my DVDs down the crapper and forget all the wasted time.

Seriously...did you really think after that shitshow of a season it would be a good ending? They really, really, really fvcked this up.

:lol:

I have a feeling after more reflection, I'm going to be less thrilled with the finale.

Walt was really important...he wasn't even in the church. I feel like the first few seasons were a total joke. Fvcking terrible. I can't even believe I fell for this stupid shiit.

Seriously...did you really think after that shitshow of a season it would be a good ending? They really, really, really fvcked this up.

It was far better than the cop out they did with The Sapranos. :lol:

Did the island stuff happen?

This is one thing I think is definitely NOT ambiguous. All the island stuff happened. All the characters died at different points, and once that happened, they all met up at the "church" and "moved on".

It was far better than the cop out they did with The Sapranos. :lol:

I'm sure with your 8th grade education the Soprano's finale probably didn't make sense. No worries...Sesame Street will be on PBS for you tomorrow. :lol:

I'm sure with your 8th grade education the Soprano's finale probably didn't make sense. No worries...Sesame Street will be on PBS for you tomorrow. :lol:

Dude, I made it all the way through twelf grade.

This is one thing I think is definitely NOT ambiguous. All the island stuff happened. All the characters died at different points, and once that happened, they all met up at the "church" and "moved on".

polar bears...time travel...a light/energy force...smoke monster...etc....

...maybe it really happened

they did show airplane parts on the beach with the end credits. the airplane parts were long gone from the beach in the story.

No shock as to who did not like the finale really.

Seems by the reading Im doing on different sites...you all are in a very small minority.

Yes...there are unanswered questions...no doubt about that...perhaps things that you thought were more important than the writers ever did.

Some things that we all thought were important and wished to get answered.

The first 5 seasons are gold. When we get to this season...eh.

Look I love the Alias series. The final season, Season 5, featured the worst writing in TV history. So you won't catch me saying the same about LOST.

But a lot of folks feel let down. It's reality. And no amount of your fishing is going to make them feel any better about a show many people had an unrequited love for.

I just went to my library's website and requested the first three season of this Alias show. I have seen it on the shelf at the library several times and even almost got it once. You have steered me right on these TV shows before, so I am going to dive right into this Alias show. Should get the first three seasons all at once, maybe even tomorrow. Just in time to get something new with Lost over. :lol: :lol:

The LAX timeline... They all meet immediately after they die so they can head into heaven together, even if they don't die at the same time. Simple enough. Cool enough.

I was very entertained by the finale, but in the end I don't feel like seasons 1-5 were even remotely related to what season 6 would have us believe the series was about.

I'll let it all sink in, but I'm thinking this series was a fun time waste, but hardly anything intelligent or ground breaking like I believed or the writers would have had us believe the last 6 years.

I truly agree with the bolded part. I think in context of the buildup in seasons 1-5, the ending is very disspointing, regardless of how we are explaining/interpreting the end. No-matter what we come up with, it is still a let-down from the buildup, and not as good. Maybe that is why I feel that the ending wasn't good, not necessariy that there are too many loose ends. I could have lived with that, if the ending was on par with the great episodes. I still get the feeling that season 6, and especially the ending was slapped together.

Oh well, great series overall......probably top 3 ever.

maybe

they did show airplane parts on the beach with the end credits. the airplane parts were long gone from the beach in the story.

Yep....which tells me everyone died in the crash. Dead is dead.....and everyone in this focking show was dead. That's cool.....so the island allowed them to iron out some sh!t from their "real" lives. "Real" is not the alternate timelines....."real" was anything pre-crash. They were all fock ups pre-crash in their real lives....then they died. The whole series was about them finding personal redemption via the island....and for this reason, the island is a very, very special place, entity....whatever. Everyone aboard oceanic 815 died together....some died sooner....Ben? some died later Desmond, Penny? But they're all dead and all found salvation together....so they moved on.

Each character had family issues....failed personal relationships. The island allowed them to correct these issues before finding eternal salvation.

Now, what exactly is the island? Fock if I know. Don't really care. But without it.....souls would be lost forever without any chance at redemption. All souls would end up in hell.

It is a little disappointing in that a lot of folks suggested they were in Purgatory very early in the show's run....but the writers denied this. So they created this quantum nutshell game to keep people interested and tuning in....but in the end, it seems a lot of people were right early on.

I just realized every major thing/plot/story-line in Lost did all culminate in the ending. I don't think i can explain it in less than like 10 pages.

Most people on the island were brought there to gain a purpose, to become someone that they weren't in the real world. Like Jacob said, they were all empty when they came to the island. The island also brought them because it was threatened. MIB wanted to sink it, the island needed to protect itself. So Jacob was there, and the candidates. Also other people could have done this.

I think what some people are overlooking is not everyone had a true purpose on the island. Everyone who had a full life, who wasn't in the church, were just there by accident basically, but to also help out the people that were there for a purpose. Again, the purpose was to ultimately make their own lives full and become the person they should be. Notice before they died, they were all as happy as they can every be.

People like Benard and Rose were just accidents. Sure Rose got cured, but even if she had died both of them had lived great, full lives and were only there to help out those like Jack and Kate. Michael had a purpose, but Walt didn't. This is why Michael ultimately came back, and Walt never did(pretty convenient since Walt being as grown as he was would really been difficult). Those in the church were connected via the island. I also think the LAX time-line/purgatory gave them a second chance to have with their loved ones. Like with Eloise and Dan, they weren't connected via the island. I think we are to assume that this has/will happen to several groups of people. That is the island's purpose. Jack had a chance to be a father. Kate was still on the run, but that is how she liked it. Sawyer helped out people by being a police officer, same with Hurley(helping people out), and that is what they did best. In the purgatory, they were given a second chance to live and to do what they did best. All the while, they would be ultimately reunited with their island people, and be able to move on with their lives ultimately fulfilled.

My theory keeps changing, but i am 85% sure the island was/is real. The biggest evidence of this was when Michael/oceanic 6/Ben were able to leave the island. That was the real time-line and was real life. However, since they didn't serve their purpose, they inevitably were brought back.

The only thing that is puzzling, to me at least, is Widmore. He came back, but i can't think of a purpose. He didn't really change when he went back there, i mean he did bring the sub, that is the only thing i can think of. I think Widmore was there because he felt it necessary to protect the island, but the island didn't really need him. So he died.

Also, it did leave it open for a movie or spin off. We can see what Hurley/Ben/Desmond do while on the island and help people that come there find their purpose, we can see what the plane group does in the real world before they die. I would be very interested to see what Richard does, since he is about 180 or so years old.

I think people are reading wayyyyy too much into the end credits. It was the left overs of the plane. That is all. There were no bodies, it doesn't mean they actually died. I think it could be that the island can create alternate time-lines/parallel universes and when the plane crash, they did die, but were able to go into the other time-line and do their thing. But it was fully real. They were NOT in purgatory except in the LAX timeline, that is one thing i am 100% sure about.

...or maybe the writers thought they'd be able to make a great ending but just kept creating more and more intrigue in order to keep the show going another season only to back themselves into a corner they couldn't get out of. there is no answer good enough to tie up all the loose ends so why not make them dead like most people watching predicted in the first season, me included.

so glad i didn't watch past season 3.

I think people are reading wayyyyy too much into the end credits. It was the left overs of the plane. That is all. There were no bodies, it doesn't mean they actually died. I think it could be that the island can create alternate time-lines/parallel universes and when the plane crash, they did die, but were able to go into the other time-line and do their thing. But it was fully real. They were NOT in purgatory except in the LAX timeline, that is one thing i am 100% sure about.

They did not die in the crash.

What happened, happened.

HTH :lol:

I was just rambling on a dumb theory on made up in my mind.

Bottom line, they didn't die in the plane crash, and people are looking too deep into the ending credits with the plane debris. Christian confirmed this "Some died before you, some after" meaning they DIDN'T DIE IN THE PLANE CRASH. That was very real.

After looking at other forums and other sites for reaction: 95% loved the ending. 4.8% hated it. .2% liked it but were somewhat unsatisfied. I think the last few minutes were perfect. I am still trying to figure out the rest.

After looking at other forums and other sites for reaction: 95% loved the ending. 4.8% hated it. .2% liked it but were somewhat unsatisfied. I think the last few minutes were perfect. I am still trying to figure out the rest.

Simply not true. Your stats.

People, the sideways narrative had absolutely nothing to do with the H-bomb at the end of season 5. It was not even a sideways narrative. It was a flashforward to the point AFTER Jack died at the end of LOST.

The whole thing was Jack coming to terms with his own death and reuniting with his friends. That's it.

ETA: It wasn't all in Jack's head, the other people were real with their own issues. But it focused on Jack. He was the last to accept what happened. He entered through the back entrance of the church. It was his father who opened the doors, etc.

In a certain way, the "sideways" narrative was a mildly interesting Season 7 interwoven with Season 6.

I agree with most everyone else who's followed this show since Season 1: This entire last season felt like a total ripoff. It's like the writers abandoned every plot intrigue they had going for 5 fraking years and decided to goof off and make something they thought might be "cool." The fact that they were so snide and condescending about it in interviews makes me want to punch them both in the face, then turn them over to phillybear and a blowtorch.

It was mildly entertaining, but an epic fail.

BTW, a helpful tip -

If you use Facebook and are a fan of LOST there, never read the comments on each episode ---especially this final one.

The people there are truly some of the dumbest individuals alive. It's like a 2010 version of the early 90s AOL chat room, a herding pen of Giants Fan clones all fighting to sound interesting and intelligent, or just heard.

Stay way, for sanity's sake.

Another way to look at why people were not at the church, is when you die you are reunited with those that meant the most to you during your life. The people not there had their own reunion with their families or whoever meant the most during their lives. For these people, the others in the church were the closest people to them in their lives.

eta that if they explained more of the unanswered questions and ended it the same way it would not have added much to the ending. I am pretty much happy to accept their story the way they chose to tell it.

Apparently in purgatory there is a free buffet and from the looks of it, Claire was hitting it pretty hard.

Most important parts of their lives, with loved ones, who did not appear in Hell. Because you know Kate will be in Hell when she dies.

Michael and Walt.

Alex and Karl.

Danielle and Alex

Mr Eko and Yemi

Nikki and Paulo

Richard and Isabella

Daniel and Charlotte

Why was Sayid not with Nadia?

Why was Boone there? His step sister Shannon?

Then why wouldn't Frank be invited to hang out with his friends?

Miles?

Roger Linus?

Dr Arzt?

Vincent?

Why is there a cut off point?

Hurley as protector of the island was one of the most ridiculous plot twists ever. Passing over Ben for it was even stupider.

These characters with very few exceptions did nothing redeeming on the island, yet get rewarded with some weird snobby club in the afterlife. The LAX timeline was meaningless, yet chewed up a lot of air time.

I want to kill myself so I can chase Jack with an axe through eternity.

Hurley as protector of the island was one of the most ridiculous plot twists ever.

I focking nailed it with the Hurley Bird pick in my LOST fantasy draft. :music_guitarred:

yet get rewarded with some weird snobby club in the afterlife.

Maybe they were the misfits with nowhere else to go. Could be the others you mentioned had more important people to be with when they died. Like Nayda had her kids and maybe grandkids too be reunited with.

I'm 25 minutes into the final episode and I'm ready to turn it off.

wtf is this trash? :music_guitarred: