Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Steven Jackson Inactive (Commish Question)

I The whole basis of fantasy football is to score points from players that play the game that week.

Wrong....the basis of fantasy football is that you get to MANAGE a ficticious team and compete with them. If you are not paying attention and not swapping out guys in a timely manner....you should get a zero and certainly not to get to "change them out".

Your statement states the issue......got burned.

If the team was unable to access the change could be a reason.

But that is beside th point.

A player that does not play and is inactive is the issue. Inactive means not on the starting roster for the game. Please keep that in mind when responding.

No

He was in buddy's fantasy lineup at kickoff, and that's all that matters.

I really did not think that this would become such a debate...

I am not surprised by the hard ass comments of some as that is typical. I am surprised by some that actually look at the situation and considered all the different factors.

First, there is not stated rule about this, it has never been addressed. There is nothing about an inactive player being switched out. Truly this is where there is a grey area.

The other thing is that no matter how much you want to look at the rules and that they are what they are.....there will always be decisions that a commish has to make, that is why there is a commish.

The debate of someone prioritizing their lives and fantasy football over everything else is disturbing. This is a recreational hobby and it is about fun.

Sounds to me like a bunch of you knuckleheads would get all intense and call traveling and charging if we played a friendly game of 1 on 1 basketball. WHO DOES THAT? Di** Heads.

Here is another, if you played me Monopoly and I did not collect 200 for passing go on my last roll, would you get all bent and start screaming at me if I asked to collect it because I had a phone call during my last turn.

Truly I think that in this situation if someone had a player that was realeased on sunday morning, you could switch them out later, so why not an inactive player. The point is that they did not play the game. The whole basis of fantasy football is to score points from players that play the game that week.

Since when can't a man be held responsible for his own actions? It's really not that difficult... you either paid attention and put the right guy in or you didnt. Either way, you chose that scenario... no one forces you to start a specific RB.

Reward the lazy people and punish the ones that put forth effort! Sounds like a great plan! :music_guitarred:

The most important factor is should an inactive player take a roster spot, AT ANY POINT.

If there was no rule in the first place stating this fact....then shouldn't you be allowed to change it with a player that has not played yet. It is only an implied rule at this point. But with teams waiting up until the last second now a days to make a player inactive or not is what should be considered. Sure you can call it a risk to play them or not, but I am not looking at making people sit at their computer all day Sunday and Monday night just in case! Fantasy Football is a hobby not life, and there are things that are more important....I do this for fun and some competition but I do keep it in perspective.

I am currently a commish of 2 leagues, been doing fantasy football for over ten years....heck I am one of the early members of this website. Nobody can say they are more diehard than I, but I do the best to be fair.

Don't call it laziness....that is not the factor. Things happen to us all.

Being understanding of one's circumstances is important but more important is fairplay.

Your obviously living a different life then I am because rules are flexible all over the place. First rule is, don't get caught and you didn't break a rule, but beyond that... Don't turn in a paper on time, if you have a good relationship with your professor and have a good history you'll probably get the opportunity to get something other than an F. That penalty and interest on your tax return can be reduced and dealt with with the right lawyers. Rules are not just rules. We can each think they should or shouldn't be. That's fine, we have our own opinions. That's also why we have commissioners in our league to make a final ruling. If they were all set in complete 100% stone, we wouldn't need them. Just get the site to properly apply the rules and that's it. Yes, rules have consequences, but those consequences can be reduced or eliminated depending on circumstance. We should learn from those circumstances in an effort to improve our rules for the future.

You are right - my life is indeed different than yours. Maybe it is because I've lived on this earth for more than 6 decades, or maybe it is because that is the way I was brought up. But personal accountability is very important in my life.

It seems from the above post that your world is defined by what you can get away with, what you can talk yourself out of, and what you can hire lawyers for. Take a good look in the mirror and at your life, though.

Personally, I've had a very fulfilling life doing it my ('the old fashioned') way. And when I mess up, I don't think it is fair to ask someone (I also am a league commissioner who doesn't believe I should even be asked to rule on crap like this), to give me 'overs'. BTW I don't meant to imply that this is generational - many people younger than myself don't share the value i place on personal responsibility. I would think many who are younger than I - especially all of my kids (and grandkids) would share my values.

Now, I understand that rules are not even the issue here. The OP states that there are no rules covering this situation. That's too bad. Leagues should have clear written rules IN ORDER TO AVOID THESE FRIVILOUS QUESTIONS. But in lieu of written rules to the contrary, the roster lock-in policy of the website is the final word, just as is the scoring systems settings - not to be over-rode by a commissioner because he 'feels bad' for a particular owner.

Just common sense.

The most important factor is should an inactive player take a roster spot, AT ANY POINT.

If there was no rule in the first place stating this fact....then shouldn't you be allowed to change it with a player that has not played yet. It is only an implied rule at this point. But with teams waiting up until the last second now a days to make a player inactive or not is what should be considered. Sure you can call it a risk to play them or not, but I am not looking at making people sit at their computer all day Sunday and Monday night just in case! Fantasy Football is a hobby not life, and there are things that are more important....I do this for fun and some competition but I do keep it in perspective.

I am currently a commish of 2 leagues, been doing fantasy football for over ten years....heck I am one of the early members of this website. Nobody can say they are more diehard than I, but I do the best to be fair.

Don't call it laziness....that is not the factor. Things happen to us all.

Being understanding of one's circumstances is important but more important is fairplay.

I would think you have a rule about not switching a player after their game starts, and that is why you can't switch them out. Almost everyone will be in position to have to make a similar decision, every year. It's part of the "ieam management" aspect of FFB, be safe and plug in an alternative, or take a chance and roll with it. Either way make the decision and live with it.

I can't even imagine someone asking for this.

Yes, life happens, but it happens to everyone.

You are right - my life is indeed different than yours. Maybe it is because I've lived on this earth for more than 6 decades, or maybe it is because that is the way I was brought up. But personal accountability is very important in my life.

It seems from the above post that your world is defined by what you can get away with, what you can talk yourself out of, and what you can hire lawyers for. Take a good look in the mirror and at your life, though.

Personally, I've had a very fulfilling life doing it my (the 'old fashioned') way. And when I mess up, I don't think it is fair to ask someone (I also am a league commissioner who doesn't believe I should even be asked to rule on crap like this), to give me 'overs'. BTW I don't meant to imply that many people younger than myself don't share the value i place on personal responsibility. I would think many who are younger than I - especially all of my kids (and grandkids) would share my values.

Please don't play the "I am high and mighty and I have no regrets" COME ON MAN!

Life is a grey area.....you drive 5mph over the speed limit? You ever had a drink before driving? You act like your so perfect but things happen.

A last minute inactive should not count as a roster player to have played. I see this making even more sense now more than ever.

When I sit and think about it....

The mere fact that anyone would want to enforce making a team keep an inactive as a player to have played is not cool. They would be more about winning on a technicality. Who wants that?

I can just hear it now....

Oh yeah...I beat this guy in the finals because he got screwed....Ha ha. Lame.

You can think about it all you want, but you asked for feedback and you got it. Not counting duplicate posts, by my rough count those fantasy players who do not support your position out-number those who do support your point of view by approximately 5 to 1.

Justforbeer, meet Mello. Mello, meet justforbeer. Now you only have to find 8 or 10 other guys and you can start your own league and play fantasy football however the hell you want to play it.

Just don't be dumb enough to ask guys from this bored to 'mediate' or give sanction to your future disputes or points of view, cause that isn't really gonna matter to you anyway.

This is ridiculous. Your lineup is available for change starting on Tuesday right up to 5 minutes before kickoff. Figure out what your issues are and deal with it. SJax did not practice all week. If this isn't a red flag and something to pay attention to when inactives are announced then you are stupid. Your lineup is what you decided was the best way for you to win. If you are unsure about a players availability and can't check before kickoff, then go the conservative route and replace that player earlier. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It's happened to everybody. Earlier this year MSW was a last minute inactive and I got burned. That's the way it goes.

Most of us have lives, but we find a way to figure it out. If not, we accept the consequences. If you are not paying attention, then go find something else to do on Sundays.

Peace

Please don't play the "I am high and mighty and I have no regrets" COME ON MAN!

Life is a grey area.....you drive 5mph over the speed limit? You ever had a drink before driving? You act like your so perfect but things happen.

A last minute inactive should not count as a roster player to have played. I see this making even more sense now more than ever.

This is just about the dumbest post ever. Yes I make mistakes - in fact I was one who DIDN'T switch S Jax out. Had I lost, I would have sucked it up and LEARNED a lesson. I also would have been more than a little EMBARRASED about it, and would have taken the beats from my leaguemates - hopefully with some humor.

When I get caught speeding, I suck it up and pay the fine. I don't go whining to my wife or anyone else. I'd get no sympathy anyway. And yes, I've even drunk and driven. And luckily I didn't hurt myself or anyone else. But HAD it happened, or if I'd been stopped by the cops - I'd have no-one to blame but myself. And I'd face the consequences like a man.

I am not surprised by the hard ass comments of some as that is typical. I am surprised by some that actually look at the situation and considered all the different factors.

First, there is not stated rule about this, it has never been addressed. There is nothing about an inactive player being switched out. Truly this is where there is a grey area.

The other thing is that no matter how much you want to look at the rules and that they are what they are.....there will always be decisions that a commish has to make, that is why there is a commish.

The debate of someone prioritizing their lives and fantasy football over everything else is disturbing. This is a recreational hobby and it is about fun.

Sounds to me like a bunch of you knuckleheads would get all intense and call traveling and charging if we played a friendly game of 1 on 1 basketball. WHO DOES THAT? Di** Heads.

Here is another, if you played me Monopoly and I did not collect 200 for passing go on my last roll, would you get all bent and start screaming at me if I asked to collect it because I had a phone call during my last turn.

Truly I think that in this situation if someone had a player that was realeased on sunday morning, you could switch them out later, so why not an inactive player. The point is that they did not play the game. The whole basis of fantasy football is to score points from players that play the game that week.

You travel while playing basketball? :music_guitarred:

You must really think that there should be no rules. Pussification of American continues.

When I get caught speeding, I suck it up and pay the fine. I don't go whining to my wife or anyone else. I'd get no sympathy anyway. And yes, I've even drunk and driven. And luckily I didn't hurt myself or anyone else. But HAD it happened, or if I'd been stopped by the cops - I'd have no-one to blame but myself. And I'd face the consequences like a man.

Sure, so if you got pulled over you would not ask for a warning, or if you were convicted of a dui, you would not go to court in hopes of getting reduced charges?

B.S.

Obviously you are blinded by your own thought than to acknowledge that there is no black and white. Just people living with people and we are all human.

It is not about being a man....that is laughable.

Do me a favor and tell me this.

Hypothetically if you were playing a team last weekend for the championship, lets say it was your best friend. He had Brady and Moss as 2 of his starters. Sunday Morning game and for some crazy reason Belechick deactivates both 1 min before gametime, and they dont play. You win because he gets screwed due to inactives. Would you offer to let him switch them out for players that play monday night?

Further, what if they had Aromashadu and Cutler on their bench?

My point is that is not how I would want to win, because of the B.S. in the NFL these days. Adaptation is important. Case in point. Because someday it will happen.

You travel while playing basketball? :rolleyes:

You must really think that there should be no rules.

Sorry, I feel I must explain this to you......

The point is not about if I travel or not, it is about calling bs fouls etc when playing a friendly game. Since you say you are a fatboy, maybe you never played. If so, I am sorry.

Cool that you are a pats fan, so not all is lost for you!

I have a simple solution for your league, you guys should draft your teams and make whatever drops/pick-ups/trades that you normally would and have all players count. No starters and no bench players. If you guys have a life and are too busy to take 15 - 20 minutes before kickoff to check on your players, then you should have all players count and then you wouldn't have this issue of inactive or not.

Also, you still haven't answered a question that I asked you before, if the owners of the Colts players asked to swap them out because they didn't know that management would sit the players for most of the game would you allow that like you want to allow the lazy owner to do here? And another question for you, it's great that you are almost one of the charter members of this website and you have been here since 1999, but does that mean that your opinion is better than anyone else's? Why did you feel compelled to point that out to us? Since you have been around the game this long and this situation has not happened before, it means that most of your owners check their teams and make the proper adjustments. Why crap on most of your other owners to protect one lazy idiot?

You're damn right I'd get p1ssed! Pay attention to what you are doing. The fact that you are bothering to answer the phone says to me that you are not overly concerned about the game to begin with. You sound like one of those guys who thinks he can half-a$$ everything and then when the heat is on come with the old "I have a life besides ______" excuse. If you are going to do something and it matters to you or the people you are doing it with, then you had better do it right.

I have a simple solution for your league, you guys should draft your teams and make whatever drops/pick-ups/trades that you normally would and have all players count. No starters and no bench players. If you guys have a life and are too busy to take 15 - 20 minutes before kickoff to check on your players, then you should have all players count and then you wouldn't have this issue of inactive or not.

Also, you still haven't answered a question that I asked you before, if the owners of the Colts players asked to swap them out because they didn't know that management would sit the players for most of the game would you allow that like you want to allow the lazy owner to do here? And another question for you, it's great that you are almost one of the charter members of this website and you have been here since 1999, but does that mean that your opinion is better than anyone else's? Why did you feel compelled to point that out to us? Since you have been around the game this long and this situation has not happened before, it means that most of your owners check their teams and make the proper adjustments. Why crap on most of your other owners to protect one lazy idiot?

Checking prior to every game means prior to Thur, Sat, Sun (3 times) and Monday Night. You never had anything come up? Inactive means not on starting roster for the game. They are not in the game. They don't play. You even bringing up the Colts players shows you don't get it.

I said I was a die hard and the point of playing fantasy football all these years, I have seen many things come up. My opinion is not better, just an experienced one that has done this a long time. Some comments took shots at the league and me...so I made the statement.

Why do you assume that they are a lazy idiot. Maybe their kids in the hospital, or they were at a funeral or whatever. YOU make assumptions of someone you don't know.

Hey instead of your smartazz first idea, maybe we will just keep it the same but allow teams to change out a player if they are a late scratch for a player that has not played.

New rules are created as time goes on....this may be one that becomes a written rule for the future...maybe it wont. The point is that it is clearly a gray area and there should be a actual rule in anyones league addressing it.

You're damn right I'd get p1ssed! Pay attention to what you are doing. The fact that you are bothering to answer the phone says to me that you are not overly concerned about the game to begin with. You sound like one of those guys who thinks he can half-a$$ everything and then when the heat is on come with the old "I have a life besides ______" excuse. If you are going to do something and it matters to you or the people you are doing it with, then you had better do it right.

That is funny ;)

I love the cut and dry comments....it is a real taste of reality of how nasty people are. Selfish, selfserving, righteous and most of all angry.

It is the world we live in.

I would think you have a rule about not switching a player after their game starts, and that is why you can't switch them out. Almost everyone will be in position to have to make a similar decision, every year. It's part of the "ieam management" aspect of FFB, be safe and plug in an alternative, or take a chance and roll with it. Either way make the decision and live with it.

I can't even imagine someone asking for this.

Yes, life happens, but it happens to everyone.

This is a great comment. The point is that if you start reading the rules of any league.....it does not state that. It is an implied rule. The fact that the player is not on the starting game roster is the question. I think that there can be a rule addressing this, yes or no. But since there is no rule addressing it then there can be a debate about the first time it becomes an issue....so here we are. Further what if they were released on Sunday morning, or put on IR Sunday morning. How does your league deal with that?

Next year it will be addressed.

Sorry, I feel I must explain this to you......

The point is not about if I travel or not, it is about calling bs fouls etc when playing a friendly game. Since you say you are a fatboy, maybe you never played. If so, I am sorry.

Cool that you are a pats fan, so not all is lost for you!

1. I played BB for 4 years in HS and coached HS for 9 years. I am familiar with how to play the game. ;)

2. You asked a question to the board and you did not like the answers that you received, so you are biotching about it. How come?

3. You stated that "The point is that if you start reading the rules of any league.....it does not state that. It is an implied rule". This is patently false for millions of people. I play in a CBSSportsline league. Under Rules, it indicates as the first bullet under transactions: "Lineup deadline is 5 minutes before gametime for each player". For those who don't understand that, there is help information that indicates that you can swap players in and out at any time prior to your lineup deadline for the player.

4. Inactives are declared 60-90 minutes before the game. Not one minute. If a guy like Jackson is questionable as deemed by FRIDAY before a game on Sunday, then all he needs to do is send a note to his opponent and the commish indicating that if Jackson is inactive, please put in Player X. He should do it on Friday and not wait until the games have started as it opens up a whole big can of worms.

5. Your example of Belichick benching Brady and Moss 1 minute before gametime is sort of lame. When Belichick had Dillon as questionable, had him active and sat him the entire game, would you want your new "rule" to apply. He did not play, did not get a chance to play because his coach had no intention of playing him.

The point of this whole thing is that none of us wants to have gray areas when dealing with our drunken friends over fantasy football. We want clear lines and rules that make it so that no one can biotch. That is in place with lineup deadlines today and your suggestion to change it for you league is something that the majority here disagree with. If you don't like those opinions then why did you ask in the first place?

That is funny :music_guitarred:

I love the cut and dry comments....it is a real taste of reality of how nasty people are. Selfish, selfserving, righteous and most of all angry.

It is the world we live in.

Maybe... but the world we live in is created by people like you... People who think it's ok to half ass something and then when things dont turn out rosy, they want a bailout. Get off the fu<king nipple and man up to your actions. It's called consequence and EVERYONE deals with it.

People like you are why the rest of us are "most of all angry". Why? Because we actually care. We actually try. And when we do good, some asshat comes along and says so-n-so deserves more because he wasnt ready, or underprivileged or lazy or "has a life"... So they take it from us after we worked hard for it and give it to them. It's called Socialism and it sucks, unless of course you are the lazy, nipple sucking loser!

Ya! We're pissed! And who can blame us!

This is a great comment. The point is that if you start reading the rules of any league.....it does not state that. It is an implied rule. The fact that the player is not on the starting game roster is the question. I think that there can be a rule addressing this, yes or no. But since there is no rule addressing it then there can be a debate about the first time it becomes an issue....so here we are. Further what if they were released on Sunday morning, or put on IR Sunday morning. How does your league deal with that?

Next year it will be addressed.

My league, (any of them), doesn't deal with it. It is 100% on the owner to manage their team, and that includes setting your starting lineup. Like I said before, I can't imagine anyone I play with even asking about this.

I do understand what you are saying, I just don't agree with you.

To each their own, and that's the beauty of this game, you can setup, or join a league, that's setup however you want, go for it!! I just know that I wouldn't want a rule like you are proposing.

Thankfully, it looks like most people agree that a rule like this is a bad idea.

Sure, so if you got pulled over you would not ask for a warning, or if you were convicted of a dui, you would not go to court in hopes of getting reduced charges?

B.S.

Obviously you are blinded by your own thought than to acknowledge that there is no black and white. Just people living with people and we are all human.

It is not about being a man....that is laughable.

Do me a favor and tell me this.

Hypothetically if you were playing a team last weekend for the championship, lets say it was your best friend. He had Brady and Moss as 2 of his starters. Sunday Morning game and for some crazy reason Belechick deactivates both 1 min before gametime, and they dont play. You win because he gets screwed due to inactives. Would you offer to let him switch them out for players that play monday night?

Further, what if they had Aromashadu and Cutler on their bench?

My point is that is not how I would want to win, because of the B.S. in the NFL these days. Adaptation is important. Case in point. Because someday it will happen.

Why are more and more people adopting the philosophy of not accepting responsiblity for their actions? This is a problem that has become cancerous in the world today. More and more people seem to make decisions with little to no regard for the consequences, based on the cavalier notion of "Oh well....someone will bail me out of it....somehow", and then sugar coating it using canned responses like "adaptation is important".

Of course life is about priorities. This person clearly indicated that FF is not high on the priority list when he/she made their decision not to be vigilant about their squad leading up to the championship. So, just as clearly, the outcome was not important to them either. Period.

I was thinking the MFL Draft only league would be perfect for these guys, since life is so busy. Just draft and you're done, you get your highest scoring players every week. It's only fair right? :music_guitarred:

I can not believe this topic is still going on. I guess the original poster has an agenda, or is really the person affected by this, and that's why they won't let it go. Why did you ask a question if you are just going to disagree with a majority of the answers you received?

You DO have a rule for this. Your league CHOSE the website that you play on and their rules are that players are locked 5 minutes before their TEAM's game has begun. If you do not have specific league rules for this, the website's rules apply. When you choose a website to play on, you should review their rules, and make changes as necessary to fit your specific league. If you do not think inactive players should be locked, then make a league rule to state this. I do not agree with it, but your league can do whatever they see fit for YOUR league. But you do not have this rule in place now, so the sites rules MUST apply. Changing rules during the Super Bowl is not an option unless both participants and anyone affected, agree to it.

As far as people having lives.....yes they do. BUT how hard is it to make contingency plans??? If you are going to be busy on Sunday, you make arrangments for someone to check your lineup for you. Or you call the commish and call your opponent and tell them that if so and so is inactive, I want to replace them with this guy on my bench. We all can easily find out what players are questionable, have not practiced, etc. Its called having some accountibility. Why is that soo difficult? If you are going away all week then have someone check your lineup for you, or make sure your commish keeps on eye on any last minute changes for you. Any good commish or league will allow this.

You keep talking about what if emergencies happen. Well if a true emergency occurs, and this is the reason a person was unable to contact anyone or change their lineup, this is the only time I could see giving them some leeway. BUT you have not talked about any of this in this situation. It sounds like the owner was lazy, did not check the status of his players prior to the games, and now wants a do-over. I'm sorry but at some point people need to be held accountable, be subject to the rules, and face the consequences. You're just encouraging people in your league to not be active, not put forth their best effort, and not be accountable to the league. This is how leagues break up after a year or two, because no one cares, and no one follows the rules.