Sign in to follow this  
Saint Elistan

*OFFICIAL* 49ers Discussion Thread

Pashos (OT) signs with Cleveland.

New Cleveland Browns executive Mike Holmgren has nabbed his first free agent, as the team has signed offensive tackle Tony Pashos to a three-year, $10.3 million deal, a league source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Sure, we already knew he wasn't coming back...but news is news is news.

A lot of money for a guy that was cut by the Jags...........

Which is great for us. Barring injury he should start all 16 games for the Browns next year. Should make for a good comp pick.

Also...I don't have an article, but there are plenty of twitters saying we signed Carr. I don't really mind the signing. Hill and Smith are just to different that the offense has to change drastically if one were to go down. Carr has a much better arm than Hill and could run the offense relatively unchanged. Hopefullly the FO doesn't do something dumb like try to stash Davis on the practice squad. Cut Hill!

Heh, Roto see's it that way to. They've posted it finally:

49ers agreed to terms with QB David Carr on a two-year contract.

The move doesn't affect Alex Smith or promising third-stringer Nate Davis' roster spots, but could cost Shaun Hill his. The 49ers' idea is to bring in a stronger-armed backup with a Smith-like skill set to lead the offense similarly if Smith goes down. Carr, who turns 31 in July, played sparingly during his two years in New York as Eli Manning's backup, but was effective in preseason action. Terms of the deal are still unknown.

Finally got an article.

Carr (QB) agrees to two year deal.

The 30-year-old, who was the top overall pick in the 2002 draft, also drew interest from Arizona and Cleveland. The Giants wanted him back too, but a source familiar with Carr’s thinking said he wanted to find a team that would give him a better shot at playing. And while 49ers coach Mike Singletary has committed to Alex Smith as his starting quarterback, clearly he’s on much shakier ground than Eli Manning is in New York.

Battle (WR) signs 3 year deal with Steelers.

The 49ers made no attempt to re-sign Battle, as the club decided to move on with Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill and Brandon Jones as the team's top wideouts. Battle had fallen on the team's depth chart and struggled when his main responsibilities turned to punt returns last season.

A Free Agency Update from same article.

Signed: QB David Carr (Giants).

Re-signed: LB Matt Wilhelm.

Lost: WR Arnaz Battle (Steelers); T Tony Pashos (Browns); LB Jeff Ulbrich (retired/assistant special teams coach with Seahawks).

Tendered: G David Baas (3rd-round restricted free-agent tender); LB Ahmad Brooks (2nd-round restricted tender); NT Aubrayo Franklin (franchise player).

Remaining free agents: T Barry Sims, CB Dre' Bly, CB Walt Harris, S Mark Roman.

Non-tendered unrestricted: CB Marcus Hudson, RB Thomas Clayton, K Shane Andrus, K Ricky Schmitt.

Maiocco also commenting on Fargas - 49ers meetings.

Don't see 49ers making a big run at RB Justin Fargas. He's 30 with no value as return man. Last returned kickoffs (never punts) in 2003.

Finally got an article.

Carr (QB) agrees to two year deal.

Meh on the Carr signing, but it makes sense. If Smith did get hurt, the offense has to change too much when Hill is in the game because he can't throw down the field.

Of course, we hope it doesn't come down to Carr getting any significant playing time................

Just some tidbits so far today:

Baker (TE) visiting.

Free agent TE Chris Baker to visit the Seahawks and 49ers this week.

Maiocco shoots down Gaither (OT), Washington (RB) rumors.

There have been some names thrown out there of players - such as Jared Gaither and Leon Washington - that the 49ers might be pursuing in free agency. But if the player is a restricted free agent, it just doesn't make sense for the 49ers to go strong after a player. After all, teams have to pay double for restricted free agents. So it should be no surprise that the 49ers, from what I've heard, have not shown interest in Gaither or Washington at this point in the free-agent process.

Becht (TE) getting some attention from 49ers. (Update - Resigns with Cards)

The 49ers showing a lot of interest in Cardinals free-agent TE Anthony Becht, a 10-year veteran. He's 6-6, 270 and a good blocker.

Hill (QB) given permission to seek trade.

The 49ers have given backup quarterback Shaun Hill permission to seek a trade, said a source late Thursday, just days after the club reached a contract agreement with free-agent David Carr to take Hill's place on the depth chart. Hill does not appear to fit into the 49ers' plans after the club agreed to terms with Carr on a two-year, $6.25 million contract that includes a $2 million signing bonus. The 49ers now appear set with Carr, Alex Smith and Nate Davis as their three quarterbacks.

Sweet. Though I can admit that it's ironic that he's the only QB on the roster with a winning record.

Hill dealt to Lions for 2011 7th round draft pick: Link

I'm glad we got something for him, even if it is a 7th rounder.

Paymah (CB) signed to a 1 year deal.

The San Francisco 49ers have signed free agent cornerback Karl Paymah to a one-year deal. Paymah, a third-round draft pick by Denver out of Washington State in 2005, is set to enter his sixth NFL season after largely playing on special teams so far. He has started seven of his 72 NFL games, recording 67 tackles, three interceptions, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.

Rotoworld's Take:

Paymah, 27, can be a valuable special teamer, but the 49ers will be in trouble if he's forced into much defensive action. After flopping badly in coverage last year, the Vikings didn't even tender him a $1.226 million contract.

Superbowl here we come! It's a :unsure:!

Willis also just got done with a minor surgery on his knee. (Source)

All-Pro 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis is getting around on crutches following surgery last week on his right knee. Willis underwent a bursectomy - the removal of a bursa sac in his knee, the 49ers confirmed today. Willis did not play in the Pro Bowl after experiencing swelling in his right knee due to a case of bursitis. Willis has played in all 48 games in his three-year career. There is no structural problem with Willis' knee, but the 49ers will adjust his offseason workout regimen to best accommodate his rehabilitation from the relatively "minor" surgery.

Didn't Peyton Manning have a bursa sac removed last year? He seems to have recovered well, although he doesn't run nearly as much as Willis does. I hope he'll be fine by training camp.

Also, it looks like Haden might have saved his stock from dropping too far today after running a 4.4. Looks like he'll be gone by 13. I agree with Saint about Seattle probably passing on Spiller, as I remember seeing a quote from Carroll talking about wanting a "bigger back." Plus they already have Forsett who is around the same size as Spiller. I am more afraid of losing one of the top tackles to them if they don't take one at 6.

Also, it looks like Haden might have saved his stock from dropping too far today after running a 4.4. Looks like he'll be gone by 13. I agree with Saint about Seattle probably passing on Spiller, as I remember seeing a quote from Carroll talking about wanting a "bigger back." Plus they already have Forsett who is around the same size as Spiller. I am more afraid of losing one of the top tackles to them if they don't take one at 6.

My thoughts too. I was hoping for Buloga, but looks like Seattle is falling in love with him. Starting to look more like Trent Williams or Russell Davis (who seems to have fallen after a bad combine).........

McCloughan Not Resigning:

"Scot McCloughan is not resigning as general manager of the San Francisco 49ers," Denver-based agent Peter Schaffer said moments ago in a brief phone interview. The 49ers have neither confirmed nor denied The Press Democrat report.

This is really strange. Closed door meeting followed by this. I don't get why they might force McCloughan out if this is what it is, unless there is some huge dispute over who to get in the draft. Even then it seems pretty drastic. Hopefully this is nothing.

My thoughts too. I was hoping for Buloga, but looks like Seattle is falling in love with him. Starting to look more like Trent Williams or Russell Davis (who seems to have fallen after a bad combine).........

#6 would be a little too high for Bulaga. I think if Okung and the beast DT's are gone Seattle goes with Berry. Bulaga still probably doesn't make it to #13.

McCloughan is out.

The San Francisco 49ers are cutting ties with their general manager, Scot McCloughan, over what has been described as a "personal matter" not related to team issues. Reached Thursday morning, McCloughan told FanHouse via text message, "I'm fine and moving forward." He would not elaborate further. Team president/CEO Jed York told FanHouse that he did not want to comment on McCloughan's status with the franchise at this time. However, multiple NFL sources confirmed that McCloughan is no longer with the organization because of longstanding personal issues

Maiocco on how it will impact the draft.

It is my understanding the 49ers' draft board is tentatively set. The only subtle changes to the positioning of the prospects would occur because of Singletary's forte. Singletary has been placing a lot of phone calls as part of background checks into some of the draft-eligible prospects.

The name I'm hearing most is Trent Blake. It looks like we'll promote from within...which works just fine for me. It's too bad this couldn't have happened when Holmgrem was still available. He would have been fantastic.

#6 would be a little too high for Bulaga. I think if Okung and the beast DT's are gone Seattle goes with Berry. Bulaga still probably doesn't make it to #13.

Bradford

Suh

McCoy

Berry

Okung

IMO, those are the first five off the board. I can't see Washington taking Clausen and I think he is the wildcard as far as changing the top five. If that holds true, do you think Seattle takes Buloga? He seems to be the concensus #2 OT and that's a great area of need for the Hawks. If they think #6 is too high for Buloga (or any of the other OTs available), do they trade down, or maybe grab Haden? I hope they don't go OT because I'm concerned that the good ones will all be gone by the time SF gets to 13. Just curious on your thoughts or if there has been any local speculation that isn't news in this area............

Bradford

Suh

McCoy

Berry

Okung

IMO, those are the first five off the board. I can't see Washington taking Clausen and I think he is the wildcard as far as changing the top five. If that holds true, do you think Seattle takes Buloga? He seems to be the concensus #2 OT and that's a great area of need for the Hawks. If they think #6 is too high for Buloga (or any of the other OTs available), do they trade down, or maybe grab Haden? I hope they don't go OT because I'm concerned that the good ones will all be gone by the time SF gets to 13. Just curious on your thoughts or if there has been any local speculation that isn't news in this area............

I've changed stream. If thats how the top 5 plays out, I have a very strong feeling we'll jump on Bulaga...like you said, the top tier o-lineman will probably be gone by 13 and 14. 2nd option would be to trade down, maybe add another pick in the 2nd or give us something in the 3rd. While I haven't been as critical on it as other Seattle fans, we have seemed to get the lesser end of the trades we've made this offseason,. I'd like to play it safe and just take Bulaga.

Then at 14 we go Iupati, Morgan, Spiller or Haden, in that order.

What a mess this division is:

1. SL takes over from Detroit as the worst tem in the league

2. Seattle is rebuilding, hasn't made a positive move yet this season to improve the team and is looking at a top 10 pick next year

3. Arizona was a playoff team but has since lost 4 pro bowl quality players in Warner, Dansby, Rolle and Boldin

4. SF looked to be on the right track but was still middle of the pack ... and they just kicked their GM to the curb.

8-8 should be good enough to win the division.

2. Seattle is rebuilding, hasn't made a positive move yet this season to improve the team and is looking at a top 10 pick next year

3. Arizona was a playoff team but has since lost 4 pro bowl quality players in Warner, Dansby, Rolle and Boldin

4. SF looked to be on the right track but was still middle of the pack ... and they just kicked their GM to the curb.

Agreed, possibly 7-9. If Whitecastle pans out, or Hass looks healthier the fact that a rebuilding Seattle team could take the division is just ridiculous. I think from top to bottom Arizona and Frisco are better teams, but Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, David Carr, and Derek Anderson make me :wacko:.

Frisco should be able to hold off AZ for the division with Seattle finishing 3rd, but the possible outcomes are all over the place. The only thing I can predict with any degree of confidence is that The Rams will win 1 divisional game tops.

I know I'm a homer, but I really think SF is a 10-11 win team IF (as always, a big if) Smith plays even slightly above average. He made huge strides from 2008 to 2009 and hopefully another year with the same OC in the same system will be a good thing. He has the ability and the intelligence. I really think it's a confidence factor.

They need to fix the O-line in round one. Best OT on the board at 13 (assuming any of the top 5 are still there) and Iupati at 17 (if available).

Everything else is in place. No reason not to win that division this year................

I know I'm a homer, but I really think SF is a 10-11 win team IF (as always, a big if) Smith plays even slightly above average. He made huge strides from 2008 to 2009 and hopefully another year with the same OC in the same system will be a good thing. He has the ability and the intelligence. I really think it's a confidence factor.

They need to fix the O-line in round one. Best OT on the board at 13 (assuming any of the top 5 are still there) and Iupati at 17 (if available).

Everything else is in place. No reason not to win that division this year................

If Alex Smith keeps going in the right direction 9 to 10 wins will be easy, and Frisco will be head and shoulders above the rest of the division.

I've changed stream. If thats how the top 5 plays out, I have a very strong feeling we'll jump on Bulaga...like you said, the top tier o-lineman will probably be gone by 13 and 14. 2nd option would be to trade down, maybe add another pick in the 2nd or give us something in the 3rd. While I haven't been as critical on it as other Seattle fans, we have seemed to get the lesser end of the trades we've made this offseason,. I'd like to play it safe and just take Bulaga.

Then at 14 we go Iupati, Morgan, Spiller or Haden, in that order.

Well, I'm hoping they don't go OT (so one more possibility falls to SF) but I have the feeling they will.

As far as the Whitehurst trade goes, time will tell. If he develops into a good NFL QB (ala Matt Schaub), then it's a great deal. Moving down 20 spots in the 2nd in this draft was a big price to pay, but not if Whitehurst turns out to be good.

If Alex Smith keeps going in the right direction 9 to 10 wins will be easy, and Frisco will be head and shoulders above the rest of the division.

Yes, Smith is key, so if he keeps improving they should run away with it. Davis, Gore and Crabtree are nice skill players. Willis is a monster. I dont know much about their lines. But, overall, efactor is right and they should win 10.

Yes, Smith is key, so if he keeps improving they should run away with it. Davis, Gore and Crabtree are nice skill players. Willis is a monster. I dont know much about their lines. But, overall, efactor is right and they should win 10.

D-line is very solid. No superstars, but a good depth of very solid players............

On the O-line, their most obvious need is a RT. I guarantee they address that with one of the first round picks. Staley, Rachel and Heitmann are all solid. Baas is a good player, but is constantly injured and therefore inconsistent. That's why I would love to see them take Iupati at 17 and fix that position once and for all. Too many good players on the OL is a good thing. They are looking hard at Pitts in FA, so if that happens, I doubt they take Iupati.

They need secondary help but it looks like the draft is pretty deep and help is available in the 2-3 rounds.

Anyway, they should win 10 this year. They easily could have last season and they are light years ahead of where they were last year at this point, despite losing their GM this close to the draft. My dream job. I am anxiously awaiting a call........... :rolleyes:

D-line is very solid. No superstars, but a good depth of very solid players............

On the O-line, their most obvious need is a RT. I guarantee they address that with one of the first round picks. Staley, Rachel and Heitmann are all solid. Baas is a good player, but is constantly injured and therefore inconsistent. That's why I would love to see them take Iupati at 17 and fix that position once and for all. Too many good players on the OL is a good thing. They are looking hard at Pitts in FA, so if that happens, I doubt they take Iupati.

They need secondary help but it looks like the draft is pretty deep and help is available in the 2-3 rounds.

Anyway, they should win 10 this year. They easily could have last season and they are light years ahead of where they were last year at this point, despite losing their GM this close to the draft. My dream job. I am anxiously awaiting a call........... :rolleyes:

I really liked Rachal coming out of USC, I wanted the Hawks to draft him.

Joey Porter is coming to the division via Arizona.

Four-time Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter (FSY) agreed to a three-year contract with the Arizona Cardinals on Friday.

I liked Rotoworld's take:

The Cardinals' three-year agreement with Joey Porter is worth $17.5 million in base value. Another $7M is available in incentives.

And they cut Antrel Rolle? And wouldn't pay Karlos Dansby? Aside from the suddenly penny-pinching Redskins, the Cardinals didn't have serious competition to get Porter, so the pricey contract is shocking. It also means Porter is going to be an every-down player. The move comes days after GM Rod Graves made Derek Anderson, perhaps the league's least accurate quarterback, one of the higher paid backups in the game. Graves usually makes sound decisions, but he hasn't had a good week.

I really look forward to the potential Porter / Vernon Davis pre-game spats twice a year. Should be fun.

Forgot to talk about Chester Pitts! Maiocco had some good tidbits about his visit with us. I'm really hoping he signs, but it looks like he's going to visit Seattle too.

Free-agent guard Chester Pitts visited the 49ers today after meeting with the Lions earlier in the week. He said his agent received a call today from the Seahawks, as they have entered the picture to gain his services. He has been a starter during his eight seasons with the Texans, and he would expect that to continue if he signs with the 49ers.

"I would expect the five best players to be on the field, whoever they are," Pitts said. "I definitely expect out of myself to be one of those five guys. But if I signed up and they felt differently at that moment in time, you roll with it and whatever your role is you do the best with it. But I definitely would expect to be a starter here."

He has been a left guard, but Pitts said if the 49ers are a predominant zone-blocking team, he could easily make the transition to right guard - to play next to a possible rookie right tackle. Pitts said he received a two-minute voice message from new 49ers quarterback David Carr, encouraging him to sign with the 49ers.

Could definitely use his services.

Source: Baalke replaces McCloughan

Answers are beginning to surface about how the 49ers plan to handle next month's draft without their general manager Scot McCloughan. San Francisco's director of player personnel Trent Baalke will lead the 49ers into a critical draft in which the team is scheduled to have the 13th and 17th overall picks, according to a league source.

The team had been aware of McCloughan's personal issue for some time, so they've had preparations in place to draft without him. The Niners haven't named a replacement, so Baalke will share GM duties with director of pro personnel Tom Gamble and executive VP of football and business operations Paraag Marathe for the time being.

Honestly...my guess is that these personal issues may actually be related to some sex scandal or something along those lines. Perhaps getting a little to close to the York girls? Who knows. But it's all just a bit strange. There's not doubt that football wont be affected though.

I've seen rumors that his wife is filing for divorce, but who knows if that's true or why she would. Regardless of what happened it's just bad timing. I wonder if York is going to keep Baalke & co. from straying from what McCloughan already had set out. Maybe we'll find out if Baalke has a prospect he really has his eye on.

Sims (OT) resigns with one year deal.

After a Friday flirtation with the Redskins, free-agent offensive tackle Barry Sims has decided to stay with the 49ers. Sims has agreed to terms on a one-year deal that, if all the incentives are met, would be worth $2.1 million. Sims, 35, was an afterthought when the 2009 offseason began, but he became a critical contributor when Joe Staley went down with a knee injury on the first play of the game in Indianapolis. Sims stepped in and started the remaining seven games at left tackle, playing well in those contests.

Thank God. He did pretty damn good stepping in for Staley when he went down. Glad to have him back as insurance / depth. Priority on the O-Line in the draft remains unchanged, however.

In other news:

49ers awarded 6th Round Compensatory Pick in 2010 Draft.

Round 6

Carolina -- 202

Jacksonville -- 203

Carolina -- 204

New England -- 205

San Francisco -- 206

Tennessee -- 207

Much better than I expected!

Forgot to talk about Chester Pitts! Maiocco had some good tidbits about his visit with us. I'm really hoping he signs, but it looks like he's going to visit Seattle too.

Could definitely use his services.

Looks like Rob Sims is up for grabs too: Link

Ex-Seahawks coach Jim Mora has stayed in touch with OG Rob Sims, and confirmed Monday that Sims has been banned from the team's offseason program.

"Rob Sims is out of there, they've already told him," Mora said. "They aren't letting Rob Sims work out at the facility, so he's gone." Sims is likely available for a late-round pick. He was Seattle's fourth-round selection in 2006.

He's an RFA with a 4th round tender, but it sounds like there are a few teams bidding already.

Looks like Rob Sims is up for grabs too: Link

He's an RFA with a 4th round tender, but it sounds like there are a few teams bidding already.

He's a powerhouse and he still has some room to grow as a player. Could be a gem for whoever lands him. Im bummed to see him go, but he doesn't fit what the Hawks want to do.

Hopefully we can Whitehurst that 4th into at least a 3rd.

Joey Porter arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and assault.

Porter refused to provide his driver's license and began to roll up his window when asked to leave the car. Police say that when an officer reached to unlock the door Porter slapped the officer's hand. Porter eventually got out and complied with orders, placing his hands behind his back. He and a passenger were arrested.

Roto's take:

Considering his history of assaulting Levi Jones, Porter could be up for suspension this time around. The Dolphins have to be feeling pretty good about dumping him.

Hahahaha. Nice pickup, Arizona. :angry:

3 players had their contract for 2010 raised due to incentives

Vernon Davis Base goes up from $1.98M to $5.075M

Ray McDonald base goes from $550K to $1.101M

Alex Smith base goes from $2.5M to $3M

Yet Patrick Willis is only making 780K... we need to extend the man.

OTA's started this week: Link

Smith noted that the 49ers practiced blitz pickup today, a phase of the offense they normally wouldn't have had until the summer. "I can't tell you how nice it is to come out here and how much further ahead we are then a year ago," Smith said.

It's about time we've had some continuity. I'm looking forward to see just how much the offense can improve without having to go through any of the tedious bullcrap a new OC brings.

OTA's started this week: Link

It's about time we've had some continuity. I'm looking forward to see just how much the offense can improve without having to go through any of the tedious bullcrap a new OC brings.

That would be so huge if Smith develops into anything resembling an NFL QB worthy of being the #1 pick in the draft. Hopefully having the same OC for 2 years will make a big difference.......

Good start anyway...........