Sign in to follow this  
Saint Elistan

*OFFICIAL* 49ers Discussion Thread

Not even close. Go fock a cat. No more pvssy pics for you. :mad:

week 1 - Blown out by the what was suppposed to be the worst team in your division

week 2 - Lose to a napping Saints team that was obviously looking past the game.

week 3 - Blown out by the Chefs...THE CHEFS :shocking:

:doublethumbsup:

Guess we're right there with the Chargers then. :dunno:

You vastly undervalue the benefit of SEA's and KC's homefield. And don't give me that "napping Saints" crap.

napping Saints

napping Saints

napping Saints

napping Saints

I'm just pissy cause I'm 0-3 and 1-2 in my leagues.

carry on

Take a gander at who gave you the 1 "W" in that massive $60 pot Geek League. :cry:

Anyhow, back on topic...

Home Games

Oakland

St Louis

Tampa

Seattle

Arizona

Road Games

Arizona

St Louis

Carolina

That's 8 games we should win right there.

Maybe he is trying to shift blame, but what he said is not surprising to me. Singletary did make his vision clear when he took over. He is the one that fired Martz and hired Raye. He wanted to be "F"ysical!

Like I said before, not a fan of Raye and I'm glad he is gone, but I have a hard time believing this will fix our problems. Mike Johnson is completely green so it's hard to know what to expect from him. The team does not seem organized, and that starts with Sing.

Maiocco posted his player analysis this morning.

Maiocco: 49ers Review - Breakdowns at Every Level

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/29/10/49ers-Review-Breakdowns-at-Every-Level/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=320685&feedID=5936

11-Alex Smith: He barely completed 50 percent of his passes, as he connected on 23 of 42 for 232 yards with one touchdown (on the final play of the game) and one interception. He was also sacked five times. Found Vernon Davis on third-and-4 for a 10-yard gain on 49ers' first third-down opportunity. That was a good throw. But he again struggled with accuracy issues when he wasn't running for his life. Sometimes it's difficult to tell whether his throws are inaccurate or whether there are other reasons, such as miscommunications with the receiver or when intended receiver Michael Crabtree had a slight slip on a pivot route.

15-Michael Crabtree: Started at split end, and saw eight passes come his way, including a critical interception in the first half in which he slipped, allowing Brandon Flowers to get to the spot to make the pick. He caught only three passes for 37 yards. He played 61 of the 49ers' 62 offensive plays, taking a break only after he caught back-to-back passes, including a 22-yarder.

76-Anthony Davis: Started at right tackle. Missed block on Shaun Smith to allow him to stop Gore for no gain in first quarter. Called for false start in second quarter. Gave up pressure to Hali that altered third-and-9 throw on play in which Gore gained nothing. Called for a personal foul when he punched Shaun Smith in the ribs after ribs after Smith allegedly grabbed him south of the equator. (Smith has been accused before of having wandering fingers.) Davis got beaten around edge by Hali for two sacks.

22-Nate Clements: Started at right cornerback, and led the team in tackles with nine. Gave up too much cushion to Dwayne Bowe on 16-yard completion on Chiefs' first offensive play, but that was about it as far as giving up plays in coverage. He was very good in run support. Came up to stop Charles for 1-yard loss in second quarter. Made another stop for a 1-yard loss in the third quarter. Also came from the nickel-back spot on a blitz to force a Cassel incomplete pass on third down.

38-Dashon Goldson: Started at free safety. Made big hit on Javier Arenas on first-quarter punt return. He hit his helmet to Arenas' knee. He got up woozy, but remained in the game. Was in coverage against McCluster, who gained 15 yards on a third-and-5 in second quarter. Bit hard, allowing Bowe to get behind him, on flea-flicker off a reverse that went for a 45-yard touchdown pass.

Check out the link for the full, depressing analysis of all the players.

Some interesting tidbits.

@MaioccoCSN

Singletary gave Mike Johnson a heads-up Sunday night and told him to compile a list of things he'd change if coach decided to fire Raye.

Josh Morgan just walked through locker room -- quickly -- looks OK. We'll see if he practices.

@mattbarrows

Singletary said Mike Johnson will determine whether he's in the booth or on the sideline Sunday later in the week ...

Singletary: no lineup changes on offense and defense

Barrows: Johnson's 'list' reassured Singletary he made right decision

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/09/johnsons-list-r.html

Mike Singletary insists he didn't decide whether to fire Jimmy Raye until the wee hours Monday morning after he had reviewed the film from the team's flop in Kansas City. But he reveled today that he was leaning in that direction the night before. He said that on Sunday night, he met with quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson and asked him to write a list of things he would do differently if he took over play-calling duties for the 49ers. "I told him after the conversation we had, 'Do me a favor. Let's talk again tomorrow. But what I would like is for you to take your time, sit down and write down all the things that you would do differently for our offense,'" Singletary said.

Singletary reviewed the list the following morning. He wouldn't divulge the length of the list - "Just long enough to have a feel," he said - or what it detailed, but Singletary said he liked what he saw, especially "some of the ideas, some of the creativity".

Maiocco: 49ers Notebook - Offense Features More Variation

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/29/10/49ers-Notebook-Offense-Features-More-Var/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=321097&feedID=5936

Coach Mike Sinlgetary still does not consider the quarterback the most important position in football. And his offensive philosophy did not change overnight, either. All that has changed, he said, is his offensive coordinator.

It is true, Singletary said Wednesday, that erstwhile offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye tried to follow what Singletary asked him to do, as Raye told Comcast SportsNet on Tuesday. But in promoting Mike Johnson to the role of offensive coordinator, Singletary is looking for another way of seeing his vision come to life. "If I've got two people sitting here and they hear the same thing, they may interpret it differently," Singletary said.

"I don't think I've ever underestimated the quarterback situation," Singletary said. "I think the quarterback is very important. Do I think he's the most important? No, I don't. A great example is the game we played on Sunday. I think (Chiefs quarterback) Matt Cassel is a good quarterback. Do I think he's a great quarterback? Do I think he's the most important part of that offense? No, I do not. But they won the game."

"If I'm a passing team, if I'm the Indianapolis Colts, yes, I think the quarterback is the most important part of the team. If I'm the New England Patriots, I think the quarterback is the most important part of that offense. The 49ers right now, I feel the quarterback is very important. But I don't think he's the most important part of our offense. I think there are 11 guys, and on this offense I want 11 guys to know that each and every one of them on every play is important."

So how is the 49ers' offense going to change? When players received their copies of the game plan Wednesday morning for their upcoming game against the Atlanta Falcons, they did not anything foreign. The plays are the same, but there appears to be more variation in the personnel groups and formations from which those plays can be called.

Good reads.

Also, Heitmann practiced in pads today. Ginn was running seperately with Spikes. Morgan in pads and practicing. Will James is practicing. Pieces are finally coming back together. Now, let's stay healthy!

Mike Johnson gave his first press conference today. You can watch some of it here, on the 49ers website.

White: Johnson's plan - Feed The Stars

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=73534

New 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Johnson has a simple plan Sunday in Atlanta and beyond: Get the ball in the playmakers' hands and let them take the offense from there.

It's not like fired offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye didn't have the same stated goals in terms of getting Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and Frank Gore involved. It's just that Johnson thinks the best way to do that is to flood the field with other personnel and different looks and make use of the grass outside the numbers.

Barrows: Johnson Faces Another Repair Job at Quarterback

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/09/johnson-faces-a.html

Mike Johnson's first and second stints at calling NFL plays come nearly seven years apart. But as he noted today, there are plenty of similarities. First and foremost on his to-do list in both cases: Maximizing the performance of an under-performing quarterback who was taken No. 1 overall in the draft. In 2003 that quarterback was then-Falcon Michael Vick. Johnson, in his first-ever press conference today, said that back then interim head coach Wade Phillips called him late on a Sunday night just as Mike Singletary did four days ago. Phillips told Johnson that he would be calling plays for the team's next contest, a road game against Tampa Bay.

Johnson worked well with Vick, who had thrown two interceptions and no touchdowns in his only other two starts that season. He'll need to do the same with Alex Smith, who has two touchdown passes against five interceptions this season. Smith's 66.2 passer rating is better than only Jason Campbell, Brett Favre and Jimmy Clausen among starting quarterbacks.

Maiocco: New 49ers' Offensive Coordinator in Spotlight

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/30/10/New-49ers-Offensive-Coordinator-in-Spotl/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=321921&feedID=5936

Deja Vu: This is the second time in Johnson's coaching career in which he's been asked to call plays after a firing on the coaching staff. In 2003, he called plays for Wade Phillips with the Falcons after Dan Reeves was fired.

On How Much Things Will Change: "Jimmy Raye left a great foundation here. Jimmy Raye is one of the best football coaches I've ever been around. I correlate it to two women wearing the same dress. You have football players and you have an offense, but you can have two women wearing the same dress, and they look totally different. What I'm going to try to do is get the ball to the players on our offense that can make plays, to utilize the talent and potential we have here as an offense.

On the Spread: "I believe you have to be multiple and diversified. I believe you have to have multiple packages. I think you have to two-tight end packages. I think you have to have two-tight end/two-back packages. And I think you have to spread them out. One of the basic philosophies I believe in, I think you have to make a defense defend the entire field. You can't let a defense squeeze you between the numbers. So we're going to do things to make them defend the entire field."

On Brian Westbrook: "We're going to look at ways to get anybody who can make a play for us into the process. I think we look at that each week. We look at who we're playing, and does he give us an advantage? Can we put him on the field with Frank and have him give us a certain play where he can get us a first down or potential big play? We're looking at that and seeing if we can incorporate him, as well as other guys, Delanie Walker, guys like that into the game play in certain situations to help us win a ball game."

On Autonomy to Run Offense: "He (Singletary) has given me the freedom to do things within that philosophy to win football games. I think Coach Singletary has been misunderstood to a certain point about the physicality and running the ball and only wanting to run the ball. That's not the case. He wants to win the game, but he wants to be physical in everything we do."

Looks like ole Michael Lewis is getting the bench.

Maiocco: Lewis Not Expected to Travel to Atlanta

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/01/10/Lewis-Not-Expected-to-Travel-to-Atlanta/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=322727&feedID=5936

Veteran safety Michael Lewis, who took a pay reduction in July to remain with the 49ers for another year, did not attend practice Friday. Lewis was not expected to travel with the team to Atlanta on Friday afternoon for their game Sunday against the Falcons. Coach Mike Singletary said Lewis' reason for missing practice was personal. When asked if Lewis' absence was related to football, Singletary declined to elaborate.

Barrows: Lewis missing from practice; Sunday status unknown

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/lewis-missing-f.html

As if the 49ers could use more weirdness in an already terribly bizarre season, starting safety Michael Lewis did not show up at practice today. Mike Singletary used the catch-all "personal reasons" to account for Lewis' absence, but his disappearance follows on the heels of reports from Monday that both he and starting linebacker Takeo Spikes would be benched. On Wednesday, Singletary said there would be no changes to the starting lineup on either offense or defense.

If Lewis does not play Sunday, Reggie Smith would start at safety and Taylor Mays would see action in the team's nickel packages. Mays got the bulk of the work in today's practice because the 49ers want to make sure he's ready for the Falcons.

Good. :thumbsup:

Update - Barrows Twitter:

Michael Lewis has asked for his release, according to a league source. That release has not yet been granted.

Maiocco: Agent - Lewis Will Not Return to 49ers

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/maiocco_blog

The 49ers boarded their team flight to Atlanta on Friday without respected veteran safety Michael Lewis on board. And Lewis will not be coming back to the team, said Lewis' agent, Rodney Williams. "The relationship is beyond repair," Williams told Comcast SportsNet on Friday. "We've asked to be released."

The 49ers told Lewis on Friday there would be a reduction in his play time to get "the young guy" -- presumably rookie Taylor Mays on the field. This came after being told earlier in the week there would be no change to Lewis' status, Williams said.

Guess he can't handle the fact that two younger, better players are taking over.

Had to know this was coming...Drafted Mays and Lewis agreed to restructure to a one year contract at a reduced pay rate.

49ers, Clements Let it Slip Away

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/03/10/49ers-Clements-Let-it-Slip-Away/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=323802&feedID=5936

Veteran cornerback Nate Clements made an exceptional play to jump in front of tight end Tony Gonzalez to intercept Matt Ryan's pass, and the 49ers' first victory of the season was less than 90 seconds away. Instead, all that happened next was more misery for the winless 49ers, coming in the form of a 16-14 last-second loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday at the Georgia Dome.

Clements set off toward the end zone with the ball secured tightly in his left arm. But upon getting closer to the goal line, his grip loosened as he tried to set up outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks as a blocker in front of him. When Clements neared the 10-yard line, hard-charging Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White had gained enough ground to strip Clements of the ball from behind. Atlanta guard Harvey Dahl recovered the fumble at the 7-yard line. And the Falcons had a fresh set of downs. And it would be the break they needed to score the winning points on Matt Bryant's 43-yard field goal with :02 remaining.

Brightspot? Taylor Mays, who recorded 11 tackles and scored a TD on special teams with a great heads up play after a blocked punt. Michael Lewis who?

Postgame presser below.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Postgame-Press-Pass-49ers-at-Falcons/4790223f-94bc-4b20-8b9f-3d2820fb645e

49ers, Clements Let it Slip Away

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/03/10/49ers-Clements-Let-it-Slip-Away/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=323802&feedID=5936

Brightspot? Taylor Mays, who recorded 11 tackles and scored a TD on special teams with a great heads up play after a blocked punt. Michael Lewis who?

Postgame presser below.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Postgame-Press-Pass-49ers-at-Falcons/4790223f-94bc-4b20-8b9f-3d2820fb645e

A rookie mistake from a seasoned veteran. Didn't he learn anything from Brian Westbrook?!? :angry:

Barrows: Singletary - "I'm sure all Nate saw was the end zone"

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/singletary-im-s.html

Lightning struck twice against the 49ers, and so did Roddy White. The lasting image from last year's 49ers loss to the Falcons was White, the Falcons receiver, coming from behind to strip Dre Bly of a just-intercepted pass. White again victimized a 49ers cornerback in today's game, this time Nate Clements and this time in a far more meaningful situation.

Clinging to a one-point lead, Clements picked off Matt Ryan with 1:31 left and starting sprinting down the right sideline to the end zone. While Clements was directing his blockers with one hand and holding the ball loosely with the other, White was closing in fast. He knocked the ball free, the Falcons recovered with 1:22 remaining and they then marched 68 yards for the game-winning field goal.

"I'm sure all Nate saw was the end zone," Mike Singletary said in his post-game press conference. "... Sure, you could say, yes, slide down. Some players think like that. Some don't."

--------------------------------------------------------

Asked why Chilo Rachal was pulled from the game in favor of Adam Snyder, Singletary said it was due to injury. Rachal, however, wasn't part of the early injury report. On the play before he was pulled, Rachal allowed pressure up the middle on a third-down play in which Smith was forced to throw the ball away.

Manny Lawson (knee) and Reggie Smith (hamstring) were hurt but returned to the game. Delanie Walker sprained an ankle. Xrays were negative, but he did not return.

I hope that Rachal doesn't make it back on the field for the rest of the season.

Baas and Heitman should be manning the Center and RG positions. I think Heitman may be a better guard than Baas, so maybe keep Bass at center. Let's just call Rachal what he is...a bust.

Trade his ass.

i hate it when we sh!t the bed like this.

in fact this season we're well on our way to cooking up a "love burrito" (recipe follows) and may as well shoot the moon and see if we can beat out buffalo for the number one qb in the draft(whoever that might be). and yes this is an indictment of smith. i can't believe in a qb who i don't think believes in himself.

and i really really think singletary needs to go. not now necessarily but certainly he should be let go at the end of the year. i think he might be a potentially good d coordinator but man...he's too f'n serious. anybody ever hear this guy laugh? is there a hc out there as humorless as this man? i can't think of one. can you imagine a season under his very very serious scrutiny? sounds really painful and ultimately disheartening. i personally would like to see gruden back in the bay.

oh and here is the recipe for the "love burrito".

serves 1 horribly funny (to me at least) anecdote

ingredients:

one friend (i used my buddy ted but use whoever is convenient)

36-48 cans of cheap beer (pabst was our choice)

blanket

couch

apartment, house, or tent (our mutual friend's apartment was an ideal choice!)

observe friend consume many cases of cheap beer (as he enjoys upon occasion). kindly place blanket on blacked out on couch friend.

go to sleep.

wake up and find still drunk friend asleep tightly wrapped in blanket covered in his own piss, feces, and vomit.

enjoy!

Friendly reminder...Way back on page three I predicted a 1-3 Start with an 11-5 Finish. In fact, a 1-3 Start (Beating KC) was generally the consensus for most fans.

So darn, we're one game off. 10-6 if we can right the ship. Hell, maybe 9-7 if we can't beat Philly. Still enough to win the West.

Week 1 - @ Seattle (L)

Week 2 - vs. New Orleans (L)

Week 3 - @ Kansas City (W)

Week 4 - @ Atlanta (L)

Week 5 - vs. Philadelphia (W)

Week 6 - vs. Oakland (W)

Week 7 - @ Carolina (W)

Week 8 - vs. Denver (W)

Week 9 - Bye

Week 10 - vs. St Louis (W)

Week 11 - vs. Tampa Bay (W)

Week 12 - @ Arizona (W)

Week 13 - @ Green Bay (L)

Week 14 - vs. Seattle (W)

Week 15 - @ San Diego (L)

Week 16 - @ St. Louis (W)

Week 17 - vs. Arizona (W)

Maiocco: Four Plays that Mattered

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/04/10/49ers-Review-Four-Plays-that-Mattered/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=324582&feedID=5936

The Situation: Leading 14-7 with 1:20 remaining in the first half, the 49ers had the ball and were driving at the Atlanta 34-yard line.

What Happened: Alex Smith's pass intended for Frank Gore was high. The ball deflected off Gore's hand and was intercepted by Falcons linebacker Curtis Lofton at the 31. He returned it 2 yards to the 33.

Why: It looked as if Smith wanted to go to Vernon Davis on a three-step drop, but Davis did not turn to look for the ball when Smith was ready to throw. The pocket began to collapse and Smith stepped up with the ball tucked under his arm. Then, as he began to throw to Gore, he bumped into the back of center David Baas, and his wobbly throw sailed high.

The Aftermath: The Falcons managed to gain 49 yards on 11 plays in 73 seconds. They capitalize with Matt Bryant's 37-yard field goal on the final play of the half to cut the 49ers' lead to 14-10.

The Situation: The 49ers opened the second half with three first downs and were driving. They had a second-and-9 at the Atlanta 41.

What Happened: Smith tried to get the ball to flanker Josh Morgan on the left side against the Falcons' zone defense. Instead, Smith threw it right into the path of Falcons safety William Moore, who made the interception at the Atlanta 33. Moore returned it 13 yards to the 46.

Why: Davis and Morgan were both on the left side. Smith figured the safety, Moore, would go with Davis into the flat. But Smith locked onto Morgan, tipping off Moore where the ball was going. Instead of following Davis into the flat, Moore held his ground and made the easy interception.

The Aftermath: Again, the Falcons took advantage of the turnover. They move 41 yards on seven plays and cut the 49ers' lead to 14-13 with Bryant's 31-yard field goal.

The Situation: Leading 14-13, the 49ers had moved within the outer distance of Joe Nedney's field-goal range with 3:52 remaining in the fourth quarter. The 49ers had a third-and-4 at the Atlanta 34.

What Happened: Smith was under pressure and about to be sacked by blitzing Moore. As Smith was going down, he tried to get the ball in the general vicinity of Gore. Originally ruled incomplete, the officials got together and determined it was intentional grounding. The 10-yard penalty and loss of down knocked the 49ers out of field-goal range.

Why: Moore timed his blitz perfectly between center David Baas and left guard Mike Iupati. The 49ers had a screen set up to the right side that required Smith to pump-fake left. But Smith did not have time to come back to the right side to Gore.

The Aftermath: There was no damage done with the intentional grounding, as opposed to taking the sack. It was a 10-yard loss either way. Andy Lee's punt pinned the Falcons back at the 8-yard line with 3:40 remaining. The Falcons moved the ball to their own 46 after six plays when the another critical mistake happened.

The Situation: With 1:31 remaining and the Falcons trailing by one point, Atlanta had the ball on a second-and-9 situation from their own 46-yard line.

What Happened: Cornerback Nate Clements intercepted Matt Ryan's pass in front of tight end Tony Gonzalez and returned it 39 yards. At that point, pursuing Falcons receiver Roddy White stripped Clements of the ball from behind and guard Harvey Dahl recovered at the Atlanta 7.

Why: Clements carried the ball tightly in his left arm early in the return, but his grip got a little loose when he directed Ahmad Brooks in front of him. That allowed White the opportunity to close quickly and punch the ball free with his right fist. Clements opted to try to return the interception for a touchdown, rather than play it safe by taking a knee. Clements' mistake was in slowing down. Ryan was the only Falcons player between him and the end zone, and Willis was there to block Ryan.

The Aftermath: The Falcons moved 68 yards on 12 plays in 80 seconds to set up Bryant for the game-winning 43-yard field goal for the 16-14 victory.

In the full article, you'll find Matt's notes on every player in the game. Check it out.

Summary: Alex Smith Sucks.

His Ints are really hurting the team (is it 2 every game?). I am glad he is getting one more chance at home to try and win a game, but I would put down a wager that if he does not win this week and continues to throw picks he will be replaced week 6. I just wish we had a better option to replace him with. :unsure:

I just got back from the 49ers’ locker room down here in Santa Clara. We spoke to Michael Crabtree, asked how new offensive coordinator Mike Johnson did on Sunday. This is what Crabtree said:

“Mike Johnson did his thing. He did what he was supposed to do. He got everybody the ball. Only thing is, Mike Johnson can’t throw the ball. He can just call plays.”

When Crabtree said that, many reporters exchanged glances. You could take Crabtree’s words one of two ways:

He was making a general statement about coaches not being able to play – players play and must execute. Players say this all the time.

Or Crabtree was saying Johnson called good plays but Alex Smith did not execute well enough. If Crabtree meant No. 2, he was taking a shot at his quarterback.

I honestly don’t know what he meant. I’m just telling you what he said.

:argue:

Link

Barrows: Niners eying pass-catching tight end

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/niners-eying-pa.html

The 49ers are flying in former Colts tight end Colin Cloherty for a physical today, according to his agent. The second-year tight end is being eyed for the practice squad. Cloherty, 6-2, 245, is a pass-catching tight end out of Brown, and the 49ers' interest in him is related to Delanie Walker's ankle injury. The 49ers have an open spot on their active roster after releasing safety Michael Lewis yesterday. So it stands to reason that a player currently on the practice squad is being bumped to the active roster.

I'm gonna guess Kristick for LB depth? :dunno:

Edit: And boom, headshot!

The 49ers have promoted LB Keaton Kristick to active roster from the practice squad. Also named Chris Beake offensive assistant coach.

http://twitter.com/#!/49ersPR/status/26483886052

Also, the Raiders signed Bruce Davis off our Practice Squad. LB Eric Bakhtiari will replace him.

Roster updated.

Jed York: 49ers will win NFC West

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5673466

If the 49ers do win the division, they will make history. Under the NFL's current playoff format adopted in 1990, no team ever has opened the season 0-5 and reached the playoffs, no less win its division. If the 49ers are going to reverse the trend, they need to start doing it Sunday against Oakland, which is 2-3 after ending a 13-game losing streak against the San Diego Chargers.

But consider that the 49ers have played only one divisional game, at Seattle in the opener, and still have five more games left against the NFC West teams they are trying to bypass. Arizona is in first place in the division with a 3-2 record, Seattle is 2-2 and St. Louis is 2-3.

Maiocco: Meeting Follows Singletary-Smith Shouting Match

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/10/10/Maiocco-Meeting-Follows-Singletary-Smith/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=328739&feedID=5884

Singletary, the coach, benched his struggling quarterback. Then, shortly after backup quarterback David Carr took the field while a national TV audience was watching commercials, Smith replaced Carr in the 49ers' huddle.

Singletary was playing mind games with Smith, whose emotional reaction to a psychological benching apparently convinced Singletary he deserved another chance. "I wanted to see what his response would be," Singletary said of his decision to inform Smith he was being benched. "A quarterback that has anything in him is going to have something to say about that."

Smith led the 49ers down the field for consecutive touchdown drives in the fourth quarter. But he was hit while throwing in the closing minute, and his fluttering pass was intercepted. And that's the way it ended: Philadelphia Eagles 27, 49ers 24.

Maiocco: Defense has Not Performed

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/10/10/49ers-Notebook-Defense-has-Not-Performed/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=328745&feedID=5936

There's not a lot going right with the 49ers' defense, either. The banged-up Philadelphia Eagles accounted for 352 total yards in their 27-24 victory over the 49ers on Sunday night at Candlestick Park with a lineup that included backups at quarterback and left tackle, and a running back with broken ribs.

"We can definitely play better," 49ers defensive end Justin Smith said. "We can't let them score 27 points. We have to try to keep them under 17 points, and give our team a better chance of winning. We pride ourselves on being a tough defense. We're just not getting it done right now."

Quarterback Kevin Kolb started for the Eagles only because Michael Vick is out with a ribs injury. Kolb completed 21 of 31 passes for 253 yards with one touchdown. He was sacked four times, mostly from pressure that came off the left side, where King Dunlap was forced into action when starting left tackle Jason Peter went down in the first quarter with an injury. Running back LeSean McCoy withstood the pain in his side and administered his own punishment to the 49ers with 92 yards and a touchdown on 18 rushing attempts.

Through five games, the winless 49ers rank 17th in the league in total yards allowed.

This talk about winning the division needs to end. How about just winning a game?

Good point, although I appreciate the power of positive thought. There is an old saying, "you are as good as your record." Five games in is a pretty good barometer; about 1/3 of the season. As a Cards fan, I've spent decades looking at shiotty records and recalling all of the woulda-shoulda-won games, but the reality was that the team was bad.

Looking at the Niners schedule, it is easy to see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but the question is: what are they going to do different? Singletary's pregame response to the question was "Win. Just win." Well, that didn't work. :dunno:

Is Singletary going to make it through the season?

I like Singletary - as I expect Niners fans do - but the reason we all like him is because he is a very quotable and likable coach. Bottom line is as a head coach... "You can't win with him." I don't think he is ready to lead a team - especially this team - to a winning record.

I like Singletary - as I expect Niners fans do - but the reason we all like him is because he is a very quotable and likable coach. Bottom line is as a head coach... "You can't win with him." I don't think he is ready to lead a team - especially this team - to a winning record.

And this will cement it...

Per Rotoworld:

Alex Smith-QB-49ers Oct. 11 - 2:57 pm et

49ers coach Mike Singletary confirmed Monday that the team will not make a change at quarterback for Week 6.

And this will cement it...

Per Rotoworld:

Alex Smith-QB-49ers Oct. 11 - 2:57 pm et

49ers coach Mike Singletary confirmed Monday that the team will not make a change at quarterback for Week 6.

I actually like that move. :dunno:

I watched a lot of the game, Smith is not the problem. He is A problem, but not THE problem. Throwing Carr in there does nothing except assuage a mob-mentality fan base; perhaps you do that at some point, but it is not the solution from a football perspective.

I actually like that move. :dunno:

I watched a lot of the game, Smith is not the problem. He is A problem, but not THE problem. Throwing Carr in there does nothing except assuage a mob-mentality fan base; perhaps you do that at some point, but it is not the solution from a football perspective.

Smith turns the ball over at key points to the game and has an inability to see deep WR getting open. Not to mention when he goes deep, he misses his target more often than not. There are several other issues on the Niners, but it is clear to most people who follow the NFL, that the Alex Smith project should be over by now. Is Carr the answer? maybe not, but the page has to be turned.

Maiocco: 49ers Player Review - Sharing the Blame

http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/12/10/49ers-Review-Sharing-the-Blame/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=329862&feedID=5936

11-Alex Smith: When he had a clean pocket, he made some good throws. But when he was under pressure, unable to adjust in the pocket or slow to pull the trigger, disaster happened. Nice play on second drive to account for unblocked safety Nate Allen off the right side. Smith stepped up to make Allen miss and then connected on 14-yard pass to Michael Crabtree on third-and-8. Picked up a third-and-21 with a 31-yard pass to Vernon Davis on which he rolled to his right. On first interception, his pass was underthrown, as it appeared he was affected by pressure coming off the right side. There was no reasonable explanation for his game changing fumble. The Eagles rushed five and the protection held up OK, but he rolled left and lost the handle on the ball as he tried to throw it away. The non-contact fumble was picked up by Quintin Mikell, who returned it 52 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. He completed 25 of 39 passes for 309 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. He completed 12 of 16 for 123 yards with two TDs and one interception after his second chance.

21-Frank Gore: He was much better without the ball in this game, as his two fumbles were daggers. He picked up defensive back Dimitri Patterson on inside blitz to allow Smith to hit third-down pass to Crabtree on second drive. But on next play, Gore lost the handle when linebacker Moise Fokou put his helmet on the ball as Gore was going through the center of the line. Picked up another blitz to allow Smith time to throw 22-yard pass to Crabtree late in first half. Committed another fumble in the third quarter. Stepped out of bounds and came back and caught pass in the fourth quarter, which is a 5-yard illegal touch penalty. He finished with 52 yards rushing on 18 carries, and four receptions for 21 yards.

15-Michael Crabtree: Started at split end, and had his most productive game in the NFL with nine catches for 105 yards and a touchdown. Got inside of Patterson to score on a 7-yard touchdown on opening drive. Nice move at the sideline to take short pass and turn it into 17 yards in the second quarter. Called for false start in the fourth quarter.

19-Ted Ginn: Handled all the return duties, and returned opening kickoff 44 yards to set up 49ers scoring drive. He averaged a whopping 36.2 yards on five returns, including a 61-yarder. He shared time (26 snaps) with Zeigler as third receiver and caught two passes for 26 yards. Did not made an adjustment on underthrown pass in second quarter that Patterson intercepted at 3-yard line.

76-Anthony Davis: Started at right tackle. He struggled in pass protection throughout the game. He allowed pressure on Brandon Graham around edge on play in which Smith under-threw Ginn deep for a second-quarter interception. Called for a false start in second quarter . . . and another in the third quarter. Blocked down on Graham to create opening for 16-yard Gore gain in the third. Allowed pressure to Juqua Parker, who forced Smith to leave pocket on an 11-yard scramble in fourth quarter. Did not get enough of Trevor Laws on a stunt while working together with Rachal. Laws ended up hitting Smith as he threw an interception on the final play.

77-Mike Iupati: Started at left guard, and really struggled. On first drive, he got too far in front of Gore on a screen pass for an ineligible downfield penalty. Surrendered sack against Antonio Dixon's spin move. Whiffed on a third-quarter block on play Gore gained just 2 yards. If he'd made the block on linebacker Stewart Bradley it would've gone for some big yards. Gave up a little pressure inside that was the cause for Smith to run to his left on the play in which he lost the handle. The fumble was returned by Quintin Mikell 52 yards for a touchdown. Allowed Darryl Tapp to get around him for a hit on Smith on an incomplete pass.